Northwestern Medicine

United States1,554 reviews

Found 1,554 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,558 reviews
nmnmhhospitalpatientmedicinememorialnursechicago

Stressful and understaffed

The CNO is stubborn and impossible! She has ruined the team we had and it’s now impossible to complete the workload with being grossly understaffed.

Pros

Small hospital with friendly staff

Cons

Not patient centered care. The workload is unsafe and patients suffer for it.

Great benefits and friendly staff

Benefits package is great with tuition reimbursement and well-being fund. Great place to work and grow. Work is a little repetitive but a great team makes the days so much more enjoyable.

Northwestern Medicine insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction

Pacu rn mchenry

PACU recovery at NM McHenry is a wonderful place to work! Four 9 hr work day, a great team, weekends off. Supportive leaders for time-off requests.

Excellent Values

An excellent place to work with s culture of growth and top performance. Opportunities to be actively involved and engaged are abundant you just have to pursue them.

Organized

The cleaners of the hospital is Excellent with the staff and area I clean / The bad but a little far from my house poor management,talk down at staff. Verbal abuse often.

Pros

Schedule

Cons

Poor management

Workplace

Awesome supervisors! And the benefits were wonderful as well such great phlebotomist whom are helpful and encouraging & I am appreciative of the opportunity!!!!

Fun Job

Its a great Job.. Its very rewarding to be a part of a top notch healthcare organization..........I had allot of fun working here.. Its fun to help others..

Great coworkers

It seems like they advance. The people that are terrible and work the people that truly care into the ground. It’s so disappointing when you work so hard and you can’t move forward.

Super busy

Super busy but your coworkers are awesome to work with. Seems like a little fam. You meet lots of interesting people but turn around is insane

Fun and understandable job

I work as host. And honestly best place to work everyone helps you out a lot.. super friendly.. managers are super understanding with you .glad I left my previous job for this one.

Not a good place to work, racism and double standards

My manager was very rude, was denied growth opportunities, very short staffed, revolving doors because they lie to you in the interview. Not a good place to work

Pros

Being able to put NW on my resume

Cons

Short breaks, not enough pay, having to pay for parking everyday

Great teamwork

Always feel apart of the team, while management can be a little rough at times. They promote growth from within, at the end of the day it’s about who you know.

Enjoy working there

Lot of experience working at this hospital gave me on job training co workers work together this is a place where I would recommend this job gave me more experience than I ever had I love working with this company I would recommend it to anyone that would like to work here benefits are great co-workers are great management is great to look out for the people thanks for working with you guys

It was a very nice place to work

Northwestern was a company I loved working for I spent 14yrs there until I had to leave! The benefits were great and the pay was wonderful, I would Recommend this job for anyone that’s seeking employment

Pros

We got really good bonuses from this company

Cons

Normal hours, long only if you choose

Great team!

Management encourages feedback and actually listens to what we say. They take action to improve processes rather quickly. There is a set formula for vacation so it's pretty easy to follow and get approval for paid time off.

Pros

Free lunch, above average compensation with annual bonuses, 3.5 weeks pto accrued within 1 year

Cons

A lot of hype for nothing

Northwestern is really hyped up and doesn’t deliver. Lab scene is toxic although I guess not as toxic as other places. This depends heavily on which department you’re in, but across the board they’re still all toxic to varying degrees. Management will do nothing about any issue you bring to them and you quickly find out who really runs the show. Best to keep your head down and try to fly under the radar as much as possible. Pay is kind of low and benefits are very expensive. No sick days and no observed holidays. There’s job security but rarely room for advancement. Northwestern themselves acknowledges how they can’t keep people more than a year but don’t do anything to solve the root issues. Overall, they’re not competitive in anything they offer.

Pros

Name looks good on resume

Cons

Benefits are expensive, no observed holidays, no sick time, toxic and petty environment

Workplace

Needs to hire more nursing staff for other floors, a lot of floating. Kept floating nurse, sometimes during the middle of the shift. Nice coworkers.

Unless they are paying $100/hour do NOT work here.

Horrible work environmnet. You can't ask anyone for help even your manager. You'll only get attiude and told to "figure it out yourself." I was full time and I wanted to go part time but they wouldn't let me. So they would rather loose an employee and be more short staff than to just let me go to .6 I wanted. So I left.Forced to work weekends and work overtime. You will get burnt out. I got a job far away from the hospital lab setting because this place left a bad taste in my mouth.

Pros

Cons

-Rude coworkers and managers, long shifts, forced to work weekends

Fun work place

The work is easy. Management does not have your best interest in mind and is always trying to please other departments instead of putting the needs of the security officers first to make sure we are safe and able to properly care for the safety of others.

What is the best part of working at the company?Staff and the public What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Driving downtown What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Nice and Diverse .What is a typical day like for you at the company?Upbeat/Busy

What is the best part of working at the company?Some of my coworkers that worked togetherWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?The benefits, upper management, short staff a lot, etcWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Family like type of environment in a wayWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Busy, unorganized, tiresome, etc

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.9
InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight