Northwestern Medicine Employee Reviews

Exicteng place to work
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILJuly 16, 2018
Northwestern medicine is associated with excellence in the healthcare industry. I have been proud to be a part of that. They are always growing and changing technically.
State of the art technologies and procedures
RRT/ Advanced Practitioner/ Trach Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 10, 2018
Northwestern Medicine ranked number 11 in the nation for providing exceptional care. One of the leading teaching hospitals in the Midwest. Being among the most elite physicians and therapies, I have had the opportunity to broaden my scope of practice and advance in my career. As an advanced practitioner/ trach specialist I exercise the ability to manage a team of therapist, educate, physicians families and patients. Monitor inventory, equipment and staffing. Clinically I am capable of working in a Level 1 trauma institution, ICU's, Rapid Response Team etc. My job can be hard when dealing with end of life situations, like trauma, cancer, COPD just to name a few. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to have notable progress with my patients. Witnessing and being a part of a patients recovery is amazing.
Pros
On the Gold Coast Downtown CHicago
Cons
Parking
Compensation/benefits
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 28, 2018
NM believe in more improving its employee's skills/ abilities and gain new ones through free Academic courses. the compensation/benefits is exceptional and i have no worries in work/life balance. reasonable hours/ flexibility with schedule.
Pros
Compensation/ benefits
Cons
career advancement
Not Bad
Patient Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 27, 2018
Some colleagues struggled with advancement and understanding from management. While some are able to advance, raises are not large. Management is sometimes forced to treat employees unfairly.
Pros
Okay pay, benefits, large christmas bonus
Cons
little advancement, small raises, favoritism
stressful
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 22, 2018
Northwestern pays good for the position, but can be very stressful. The office and the call center is not on the same page, which can make the job harder then is should be.
Pros
good co workers
workplace culture
Lab Supply Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winfield, ILJune 20, 2018
Productive and fun workplace. Great management team which listens to suggestions made by the employees and follow up on them. Great institution to work for.
Team work
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Winfield, ILJune 19, 2018
I love working here the nurses the doctors. I work in the ER it is fast paced at time but if not busy we have other things to do to get thru your shift. Working on WQ's making bands for future patients making copies. I love the working here.
Pros
Everyone is friendly
Cons
Cafeteria not open for 3rd shift people
work place
Financial Assessor, Patient Accounts (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 13, 2018
a typical day is coming log in to computer set up my work load and start my work after, management is very good in explain the plans for today. the hardest part is just growing and learning new things everyday, I love the work I do every day and the people I work with.
good
good
thankful to be working for the company, not the department
Financial Clearance Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILJune 1, 2018
I enjoyed working for the department but the management was questionable at best. Half the staff left after we got out new management. Apparently more have left since I did.
Excellent Respiratory Department!
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Chicago main campusMay 31, 2018
Respiratory therapists are really respected here. The work is hard and stressful, but the patients are very sick and you feel like you make a difference. There are alot of advancement opportunities and the benefits are great! Scheduling is great! Once you are here a few years, you only work every third weekend! The manager will approve a month off for PTO! Schedules are fair, and work/life balance is encouraged. Great teamwork in the department, and the managers are good at holding people accountable, yet being flexible without compromising high standards. Highly recommend!
Pros
Interdisciplinary work & respect
Cons
Very busy
Management unsatisfactory
Supply Chain Technician (Former Employee) –  Winfield, ILMay 27, 2018
Worked in the supply chain starting as a temp..got hired on at a laughable wage which I thought was a joke when called with the offer. New director came into our area (best friend of other director) completely micromanaged everything. Cost us thousands of dollars. Wouldn't communicate with his staff to the point everybody was questioning his motives. Cut overtime and was denying PTO. Final straw for me was when they said we had a parking issue an anyone under a year and a half there hired had to now park by north avenue and get shuttled to CDH for my shift. It was bad enough the insurance and retirement taken out left me with under 400 for TWO WEEKS..now they're wanting an extra hour to shuttle in to my job? Sorry I could make more flipping a burger. See ya later!
Pros
Lunch and breaks combined into one hour lunch
Cons
A director that was a friend and not a talent. Micromanagement. NO Overtime
Very professional work place
Lead Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 26, 2018
This is a very professional place to work at. The staff is very kind and hardworking. Some of the clinics varies departments run behind due to being over booked.
Pros
Great staff, wonderful environment to work in, great location
Cons
30 min lunch break depending on department, frequent clinic delays
People are great.
Staff Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Occupational MedicineMay 25, 2018
busy work environment, coworkers are absolutely wonderful, great team to work with and for. stay focused and productive. variety of clientele from clinic site to clinic site.
Hospital system is very organized & has competitive pay grades
CCU Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILMay 24, 2018
Great pay & raises, very organized & nursing resources easy to obtain. Highly encourage additional education but not always understanding of balanced work-home life. Large amount of mandatory education & meetings (in addition to full-time work schedule). Difficult to accrue PTO & take desired time-off because only so many RNs allowed off during a shift & not enough coverage. RN to pt ratios improving as is their attention to employee retention but they are at least attempting to make situations better. Frequently difficult to leave unit for break or take a lunch- poor support for ensuring these crucial needs are met. Managers are very busy with many meetings and supervising RNs busy with chart/unit auditing- feel this could be improved to help support front-line staff more but better when compared to other facilities. Improving RN safety but much room for improvement because frequently caring for agitated & confused patients. Magnet facility which I felt made a huge difference in many ways RNs were treated. One of the better hospital systems to work for overall.
Pros
Magnet facility, great pay, support education
Cons
Poor work-life balance, over-looked missed breaks
Best Job ever
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2018
My job at Northwestern was enjoyable and rewarding. This company appreciates its employees and compensation is tops. They encourage employee development and the employees are respected.
Pros
Great employee development
Cons
Downtown travel
Great co-workers but management flaws
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 19, 2018
Coworkers are team oriented and great resources to ask for help or assist with questions. Management not so great. Early on in career, informed practice manager need for more time and help with addressing patients messages and triaging for high demand dermatologist/ hair loss specialist and management down played request due to low staffing. Management switched providers on me without advanced notice (only a day) and expected me to know the in' s and it's of complex specialty within a month when long term assistant for speciality physician stated much more time was needed to learn the specifics of the specialty. Northwestern is overall a great place to work for, with great incentives, benefits and advancement, BUT it can only work if the management is responsive to your request for help and has realistic goal expectations with sincerity not favoritism.
Pros
Benefits, great co-workers, reputable organization
Cons
Improvements with management in specific dept.
Toxic Work Environment
Athletic Trainer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 14, 2018
Managers are threatened into micromanaging things like overtime and PTO. Employees need overtime and PTO to offset the ridiculous hours they work for less than optimal pay. HR is absolutely against the employees. The environment is gossipy and full of drama. Would absolutely steer clear.
A very productive and fun place to work
Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 3, 2018
*processing quality work in a timely fashion
*fast past
*patient's is always 1st quality
* training on a continuous basis
* training other employees
Pros
free lunches
Beautiful new psych facility; too bad the staff are toxic
former Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Winfield, ILMay 3, 2018
Rampant bullying of nurses that is being supported by upper management. One lead nurse(s) makes life miserable for offgoing shifts. Management supports the behavior by favoring these nurses because of their skill level. Got out as fast as I could. It's too bad because NM is such a well-respected facility.
Pros
Pay, benefits, facility is good for psych patients
Cons
Bully behavior; chronic short staffing and frequent requests to pick up more hours
It is nice to have the flexibility and work remotely
Coder II (Current Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILMay 1, 2018
Recently full time coders do not have enough work every day. I believe that it is because of poor management. I am a remote coder and Northwestern is very flexible about work.
Pros
Really flexible hours
Cons
Lack of work for 8 hours per day

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight