Northwestern Medicine Employee Reviews

A typical day
ED Registration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 16, 2019
A typical day at work for me is always fast paced but exciting every night. I've learned to listen to the patient's and always pay attention to everyone around you.
Productive and fun work place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 15, 2019
Good people and nice staffs who are willing to give best service to clients regardless of who they are and what background they come from

Ability to develop your skills and flexibility with work schedule
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Great
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 13, 2019
As an intern, I had a lot of fun working here and learned lots. It was a good experience and I enjoyed my time helping the patients of the hospital. I would recommend.
Good Place to Work if Compensation is Fair
Executive Assistant - Patient Care Administration (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2019
Good place to work, decent benefits, okay management. Problem is that they only help pay for medical/business management degrees. Most majors are not covered through their tuition remission.
Pros
Professional atmosphere, nice people
Cons
Compensation, tuition remission
Horrible working enviroment
Procedure Technician Gastroenterology (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 7, 2019
I absolutely hated my position at NMH. horrible working schedule no advancement to grow. was passed over due to favoritism. worse years of my life working for NMH.
Cons
horrible working schedule. no advancement with experience.
It is okay for starting.
LABORATORY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 4, 2019
My main issue with the hospital was only the lab. It was more of a physical workout and work itself. All issues and blames are on the lab and there is nothing to do about it. Not even the Q.I.R. system can fix issues between phlebotomy/nurses and the laboratory. It felt like more work piled onto those in the laboratory as we took on duties of other departments. The pay was too low for a large recognized hospital such as Northwestern. There was plenty of favoritism and many employees that got their position through connection. On the other hand, it did make transferring departments easier but most availabilities in the hospital are only night shift.
Pros
Job culture, hiring within the hospital, bonuses every year
Cons
Too many issues between hospital staff, low pay
Great Place to work
PATIENT ACCESS SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILDecember 31, 2018
I have enjoyed every minute of my employment with Northwestern over the past several years. I enjoyed my management, the advancements I can make, the training, the classes I can take to get ahead.
Excellent place for students to do mental health internship
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 28, 2018
All the nurses and doctors on the mental health ward made themselves available to teach students about the act and science of mental health nursing. Overall, the hospital is an excellent teaching hospital.
Pros
Excellent location with variety of food vendors.
Cons
Parking is very expensive for students
Decent place to work
CMA (Former Employee) –  St. Charles, ILDecember 28, 2018
There have been many changes throughout the years, and I feel some things are improving. Change is always hard for everyone and there have been many. I do feel, there is too much pressure put on the physicians, which then falls onto supportive staff as well. Hours did not provide a good life/work balance and getting a lunch was a struggle, but I really enjoyed my years with the company and miss everyone. I was fortunate to have great physicians to work for, caring management and a good clinical team. The benefits are good and pay is reasonable, but management should be able to give higher pay increases if they feel an employee has earned it. I think things will continue to improve and grow.
Pros
Great Physicians
Cons
Trying to get a lunch break and work/life balance with hours
I enjoyed it very much
Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Winfield, ILDecember 26, 2018
Excellent place for learning and career advancement. I began as a travel RN and then became full time staff, received my Master's Degree and Certification as a CNS and was able to secure a job there using my capabilities.
Not my best work experience.
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 26, 2018
Extremely toxic environment. Would not work there again due to quality of management. Pay is okay but paying for commute to work and parking is ridiculous .
RN ER love this place
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILDecember 22, 2018
I worked in the ER for 3 years. Great place to work. Management very helpful and involved. Always listening to suggestions. Many opportunities for learning. Good team work. I think they have smart nurses and doctors. I’d stay if I didn’t move!
Pros
Team work, good management
Workplace
Reparatory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 20, 2018
A typical day at work is pretty simple. you'll receive your assignment, then get the report from the other therapist to see what's going on with the patients. I've learne at from this facility as far as nitric, heliox, rotoprone beds for ards patients. The work environment is great the people get along for the most part. I believe this job is pretty easy to adapt to just as long as you're willing to learn new things and being openminded.
Great place for care/ poor place for employment
Patient Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 19, 2018
The clinical staff at NM is fantastic but the management is extremely poor. The compensation is not up to par being the caliber of hospital NM is. I would not recommend anyone to work for NM.
Great place to learn
Clinical Nurse II (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 18, 2018
Fast paced
continuous learning expereince
Nurse manager is a great staff advocate
Hardest part is not having a set in stone schedule for each week
Held to high expectations
Career advancement is a requirement
Awful management
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winfield, ILDecember 18, 2018
Does not back up employees. My privacy was violated and nm did not do anything about it. Manager is still employed. Will never recommend for anyone to work there!
Close knit and committed team of employees with like minded goals
Case Therapist II (Current Employee) –  Winfield, ILDecember 17, 2018
A very good company to work for and does good work for its patients. A company with family values and empahasis on health and safety for staff and patients.
Pros
Good pay with flexible therapy approaches
Cons
Long work hours are possible
Great staff, Nice work environment.
Staff scheduler for approximately (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 16, 2018
This is a great facility to work for. The staff is great and works well with each other. I was a preceptor to new RNs and had frequent charge and triage responsibilities. It is a great place to work. I participated in staff scheduling.
Pros
Great staff and benefits
Cons
Commute.
Not a fun job at all
Wait Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 14, 2018
Everyone think because it’s the #1 Hospital in Chicago it’s a good place to work! But it’s not your over worked and under paid! I worked in food service in order for you to get full time there one of the employees who been there for 40 years would have to die... and that’s not happening. The manger is getting all the African Americans out and bringing all the Mexicans in. On top of running the kitchen into the dirt! The insurance is expensive if your part time it’s most of your check so basically your working to pay insurance. All the mangers gossip they tell all your business and some. And they don’t help they stand around and watch you struggle. They don’t tell the schedule in on missing days so that means you work harder for a 12$ pay..
Pros
Bonuses around thanksgiving
Cons
Short breaks short staff terrible mangers
productive workplace with learning opportunities
Registered Nurse, Medical Intensive Care Unit (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 9, 2018
Supportive workplace with plenty of opportunities to learn. A typical day at work consists of direct patient care, assessing patients, administering medications, and working with physicians to provide quality care to patients

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight