Northwestern Medicine Employee Reviews

ok
Environmental Services Lead (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 15, 2018
Its a ok job. Just go there do the best you can and stay out of trouble.. the pay is ok but we need more. And its also a union that takes money out your check.
Nm
Physical Therapist (Current Employee) –  Homer Glen, ILApril 13, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the jobs is my co-workers and the hardest part is lack of good nursing care. There is a lot of documentation with this job.
Pros
salary
Cons
documentation
Processing is great to get in the door
Specimen Processor (Current Employee) –  Winfield, ILApril 11, 2018
Processors work in a laboratory doing a lot of work and the pay is not fair for all of the work we have to do. I worked the overnight shift and it was brutal. 3rd Shift gets most of the specimens and they ask everyone to do 30-40 specimens an hour. Most of the time it is pretty easy to do. Other times, it can be kind of difficult due to problems. If you mislabel anything you are fired. You are only able to have 1 mistake a month (labeling the wrong tube with the wrong label). The work stations are also uncomfortable. Especially the chairs. You can also have problems with your neck and shoulder from reaching so much. For the most part, if you are okay with handling specimens and working with a diverse group of people. It is the job for you.
Pros
Overnight differential of $1.50
Cons
Neck, shoulder, back pain and poor chairs
Team-oriented division that will keep you busy
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2018
Typical day at work would require you to filter through the emails to see what was urgent and prioritize your day. This will be ontop of your regular day-to-day things you have planned and what comes up from your executive/physician that needs to be done. Prioritization and flexibility is a must. Management has an open door policy and you can come to them with any issues or concerns that you may have. They also encourage professional development whether it's taking MS Office classes or pursuing a higher degree. The most enjoyable part are the people. There are many different personalities, but you form bond with colleagues that lead to friendships and ways to network.
Pros
Great working atmosphere, lots of restaurants around, bonds with colleagues
Cons
Can be very fast-paced and demanding at times
EVS Tech positions are jokes. Stay in school
EVS Tech (Former Employee) –  Winfield, ILApril 3, 2018
Don't be a EVS dropout, stay in school. Management is a total joke. I was blamed and let go from my position, which was best thing, as in school now..
Pros
Cons
management...as in, a con.
Progressive
Environmental Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 25, 2018
I have always admired the innovative and creative ways that nm has handled not only their patients but their employees. I think that there should be a hands-on involvement in terms of educating and promoting those employees without degrees .
Pros
Holiday meals and bonuses
Cons
Lack of promotion within
Job in great location.
Registration (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 24, 2018
Job in great location. Discounted parking. Lack of career advancement and very hard to transfer departments. Have to know someone in order to advance.
good place to learn
STATIONARY ENGINEER/ trainee (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 23, 2018
i dealt with a lot of different equipment and a lot of different people who know different tricks and helpful suggestions, which made me a well rounded engineer. A good place to learn the trade and become a better engineer
Great place to work when management is good
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMarch 21, 2018
Staff nurse for company. First few years were great, had a great manager, supervisor and coworkers. Last 1.5 years, I transferred to another department and did not have such great coworkers. Management in this department did not back up employees and I did not feel so good about my job there. If you have the right management in place, this is a great place to work.
Pros
Many discounts
Cons
Poor management in my department
Excellent place to work
Regional Marketing Manager, Brand Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 20, 2018
Provides work/life balance with a healthy, competitive and challenging enviroment. The organization is doing great work so you can be proud to work here.
Independent Contractor
Consultant (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILMarch 15, 2018
I worked over night here as an Independent Contractor for implementation of Epic 2015.
As this was not a permanent position, my feedback and experience is irrelevant.
Fun and rewarding place to work
Certified Sterile Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  Winfield, ILMarch 15, 2018
Nice place to work, very fast paced. Employees get along and work together to get tasks accomplished. We currently do not have a manager which causes a lot of stress.
Good place
Application Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 11, 2018
Major healthcare organization - it's a great place. Management and leadership during P1 project was pretty bad. Too many consultants and not enough credible, long-term FTEs. I'm sure they've learned from this experience - projects are always crazy.
Fun and educational workplace
Northwestern Medicine Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60611March 11, 2018
Couldn't ask for a more amazing hospital to work for unfortunately I must relocate closer to my house. Management works well with employees establishing good work environment
Great Experience
Coding Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winfield, ILFebruary 28, 2018
A typical day at work included coding and charge posting accounts for emergency care. I have also coded urgent care and ops. Always learning new protocols. Management was fair. The hardest part of the job was not being able to discuss questions face to face. The most enjoyable part of the job was coding. I really love learning about the body. Always running across new diagnosis and learning what it can do to the body.
Pros
I worked from home so had some flexibility.
Cons
Missing the face to face contact.
Teamwork job
Resource Ambassador/Front desk receptionist (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILFebruary 27, 2018
I loved working here everybody is very familiar and friendly working. It is all a big family I recommend people here to visit or work. It was a good experience.
Financial Assessor
Financial Assessor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2018
Handled the filing and processing of all claim in submission to proper insurance companies, patient, and clients. Reporting candidates for billing, collections, outbound compliant submission, clinical documentation requirements and any other communication required. Perform other task as needed in an active work environment with high-stressed changing work needs workload.
Productive and fun work place
Lab biller (Current Employee) –  Windfield ILLFebruary 19, 2018
I love working for Northwestern Medicine unfortunately my position is fading away. Hopefully I can apply and be able to get another position within the company. This is a great company to work for.
Pros
all around great company to work for
Cons
only 30min lunch
Great work atmosphere
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 16, 2018
I’ve had a very welcoming experience working at Northwestern Hospital. Great leaders and employees. I have grown a lot in my time with this company. I will be forever grateful for my experience.
Staff Nurse, ICU Float Pool (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 14, 2018
I have worked at NMH for 7.5 years and it has been a great place to work. The nurses are incredibly hard working and take great pride in their work. There is a fantastic team work dynamic amongst the nurses and the other interdisciplinary members, which provide optimal outcomes for our patients.
Pros
Great health insurance, nursing staff, unlimited resources
Cons
Low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9

2.5Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight