Northwestern Medicine Employee Reviews

Super working staff period.
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 23, 2018
Just a great place to work for and super staff.great management conditions great the location was great and within my home location the years I put in was a great experience and I will cherish I spent there.
Pros
Great working staff.
Cons
Sometimes short on staffing.
Patient Procedure Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2018
It was great working for Northwestern Medicine. I learned some things as well as using previous experience. My Manager and Director were great to work with.
Pruductivity
Financial Assessor (Current Employee) –  St. Charles, ILSeptember 11, 2018
Very nice to work with people that our willing to help and our great team players. Productivity could be a little challenging and expectation are so what high.
Enjoyed my coworkers
Insurance Collection Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Charles, IlSeptember 5, 2018
While I didn’t get paid bad pay until my last few months I did enjoy the people I worked with.
My direct supervisor was wonderful and a fair person to work for t was the people above her that made it difficult to work there.
Pros
Great friendships
Cons
Unfair pay
Busy. There is a lot of opportunity to do work.
IT Consultant / Application Analyst / DSS (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2018
The best thing about Northwestern is the people. Overall, they were friendly and easy to work with. Communication between departments and information sharing could have been better.
Productive and fun place to work
Team Lead/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 16, 2018
Encourage teamwork throughout the eight Admitting and Registration floors.Train New Hires, weekly huddles with staff and other departments to optimize workflows in all areas. Effectively interact with patients, patrons, staff, faculty, students and others on a regular basis with the ability to analyze and address their needs.
Opportunity exists
IT Application Team/Project Leader (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 15, 2018
Overall NM is a good place to work. There are a few members of upper management that don't really understand the needs of the rest of the work force but you will find that everywhere. If you have the right manager, you will have good opportunities. They have finally started letting people work remotely, but again only certain managers. Work life balance is good but most teams are severely short staffed and need help. The employees work relentlessly to maintain good standards and get their jobs done, regardless of not having enough help. The hospital is leading the way in great healthcare, makes you proud to work for a good organization.
NM has great talent and it's growth is exponential
Lead Printing and Workstations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 14, 2018
NM has ton's of talented individuals making a difference everyday. With that being said NM leadership was bold enough to make organizational changes that will in the long run make NM even better than before.
Pros
Good Employee atmosphere
Cons
Pay needs to be more competitive
Avoid Northwestern Medicine
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 11, 2018
Bureaucratic, defensive, unimaginative management. Everyone is afraid for their jobs. Low productivity because of this. Out of touch with their reports, what's happening, what work is being done, and who is really doing work. Laid off almost 100 in IT after Epic install without regard to all the hard work, long hours and sacrifices of these people.
Good place to work at
LPN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 8, 2018
Management does its best to recognize the employee's efforts to improve and receive good patient satisfaction feedback. great medical benefits, and retirement plan.
Too Stressful after the Corporate Takeover of Itself
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 5, 2018
I was an administrative assistant in the Department of Dermatology and liked my job until my eighth anniversary. The new Northwestern Medicine corporate culture made everything stricter and overburdensome to the point where it was unbearable. The department administration refused to listen to us employees when we complained about the newly appointed supervisor who had just started in the department a year earlier. The department management gave her free reign to be dictatorial and undermine employees. The department lost stellar personnel because of this. The work load was unbearable in an understaffed department. As one reviewer already noted, the family culture is gone now that Northwestern Medicine is a corporate conglomerate.
Pros
Benefits, salary
Cons
Strict corporate-style management, stressful, overburdensome work load
Good place to work but lots of Managment overhead
Sr. Infrastructure Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 30, 2018
Management structures change every quarter. But your job remains the same. So you have to keep re-explaining what you do to your new bosses. It is a bit chaotic but some great people and respect from outside organizations.
Pros
Flexible work life, recognition
Cons
Management structure changes
Corporate Culture
IMAGING SERVICE ENGINEER III (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJuly 30, 2018
Northwestern Medicine has grown to become a bigger corporate entity. This brought a more corporate policy and strict structured environment. The "family" culture is no longer there. In addition, there has been more consideration to outsource departments, resulting in eliminating hospital employed positions.

The group of co-workers are great to work with. Life long respect and friendships have been created within the smaller individual teams.

Overall, it was a great place to work until the more global NM policies and procedures took effect.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
corporate structure
I was very productive and a good place to work at
Financial Assessor-Patient Accounting (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 27, 2018
My typical day at work was heavy, had a lot to do and post, but I loved evey bit of it.

I have learned so much working at Northwestern ,different systems that I worked in, Epic system was the best

My most enjoyable part was being able to stay focus come to work with a good mindset.

Didn't like the different management team that was brought on board
Pros
I loved my hour lunch
Cons
not being able to make the monthly quarter
Hard work, great coworkers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 24, 2018
Patient care is a demanding field, but I was able to learn a lot of important skills during my time there. I was able to take the lead on many projects and I honestly felt as if my voice was considered in regards to decision-making.
Pros
Competitive compensation, opportunity for growth
Cons
Patient care can be very stressful at time
Nice Place
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 24, 2018
The best I've ever experienced. You'll love the work, the people and the patients. Well worth the wait for sure! They have a great advancement policy!!
Very good place to work
Operations Coordinator Admitting & Registration (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 22, 2018
Typical work day is busy. I have learned more about the medical field since I went F/T. The culture is overall family oriented. You can always go over things with management for clarity.
Stressful
Coding & billing specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 19, 2018
Management is not up to par. Poor resources. New system changed the atmosphere here and lost millions of dollars. Work became an overload with no additional pay
Pros
flexible hour start and end times
Cons
poor management, horrible system
Good
Medically Trained Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Winfield, ILJuly 18, 2018
Very lucky to work in a place that offers care to people and every one tries to do the best they can to achieve it. Culture is friendly and warm they always say hello or smile.
Hard part is being on my feet all day long.
Best to be able to help others.
Great place to start as a medical assistant but takes away home life
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJuly 18, 2018
Work life and home life is very incompatible. Great learning place for newbies but the pay isn't worth the workload for medical assistants. Nurses don't help as much because they are tied up taking triage calls. Never feel like your job is secure
Pros
Insurance benefits
Cons
Pay needs to be increased, overworked, not much flexibility

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight