Northwestern Medicine Employee Reviews

no Life Jolene Admin manager is terrible
Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILNovember 11, 2018
Work like balance is non-existent,
Schedule is never the same
Management does not take concern serious
Patient’s are just a number
Cma’s overworked and underpaid
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Amin manager is terrible, no home life, schedule never followed
productive and fun work place
PHLEBOTOMIST | MED TECH (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 18, 2018
Typical day is drawing blood over a 100 patients in the hospital. also responding to stat blood cultures and blood draws. Helping doctors get lab results in a timely fashion.
Pros
Free lunches and free hotel stays.
Cons
you never really get a break becuase your pager or phone is always going off.
Very poor management, Lack of opportunity for advancement
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  South Elgin, ILOctober 18, 2018
Management was very poor. Lacked any follow through. No training for new hires within the office.
Monthly meetings a waste of time, as always the same lines being fed to employees each time. Managers turned away from any real problems the office had.
Time off is accrued, hours and schedule constantly changing without notice. Office manager leaving early coming in late, no work getting done.
Very difficult environment to work in.
What I did learn was never from managers, but from MA's,
Pros
Met some very nice people
Cons
Poor management, lack of opportunity to move forward
Productive and Fast Paced
Perinatal Data Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago IllOctober 5, 2018
I very much enjoyed the work I was doing at Northwestern. I didn't find it very challenging to complete work in a timely manner, and felt the quality of my work was good. The management style is very poor with no desire to train or help current employees, temp or perm. I learned that a lot of the hiring is done so on a "can we afford to pay them" basis. It was my experience that because I am educated and expressed my desire to continue my education and grow as a professional that I was deemed to be "too expensive" to keep on board. I think the culture is outdated yet the regulatory procedures are advancing in lockstep with the healthcare industry but the employees, having been there for 20+ years each, are falling short of being complaint.

I love what I do. I'm an advocate for change and the enhancement of quality care. I think that the most enjoyable aspect of my job is the interaction with patients and going above and beyond to assure that they feel they are taken care of during their interactions with professionals at Northwestern Memorial.
Pros
Patient Interaction
Cons
No managerial assistance
N/a
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 2, 2018
I liked working at this company. I was a really good experience and management encouraged you to progress with career development skills. Benefits are amazing.
Great Job
Environmental Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 26, 2018
Really enjoyed working here for over thirteen years best job I ever had I enjoyed the people that I worked with and interacting with the patients. coworkers taught me a lot
Fun work
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 25, 2018
Great place to work for. There are many opportunities for growth and the management Is always there to assist. The location is great and the restaurants around delicious.
Super working staff period.
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 23, 2018
Just a great place to work for and super staff.great management conditions great the location was great and within my home location the years I put in was a great experience and I will cherish I spent there.
Pros
Great working staff.
Cons
Sometimes short on staffing.
Loved my job
Help Desk Technician II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2018
I really enjoyed working here but got booted out after funds ran short and my contracted ended 2 months before it was suppose to. Was with out a job for 2 months.
Pros
work life balance excellent, enjoyable work enviornment
Cons
No job job security if you are a contractor
Patient Procedure Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2018
It was great working for Northwestern Medicine. I learned some things as well as using previous experience. My Manager and Director were great to work with.
Pruductivity
Financial Assessor (Current Employee) –  St. Charles, ILSeptember 11, 2018
Very nice to work with people that our willing to help and our great team players. Productivity could be a little challenging and expectation are so what high.
Enjoyed my coworkers
Insurance Collection Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Charles, IlSeptember 5, 2018
While I didn’t get paid bad pay until my last few months I did enjoy the people I worked with.
My direct supervisor was wonderful and a fair person to work for t was the people above her that made it difficult to work there.
Pros
Great friendships
Cons
Unfair pay
Busy. There is a lot of opportunity to do work.
IT Consultant / Application Analyst / DSS (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2018
The best thing about Northwestern is the people. Overall, they were friendly and easy to work with. Communication between departments and information sharing could have been better.
Productive and fun place to work
Team Lead/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 16, 2018
Encourage teamwork throughout the eight Admitting and Registration floors.Train New Hires, weekly huddles with staff and other departments to optimize workflows in all areas. Effectively interact with patients, patrons, staff, faculty, students and others on a regular basis with the ability to analyze and address their needs.
Opportunity exists
IT Application Team/Project Leader (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 15, 2018
Overall NM is a good place to work. There are a few members of upper management that don't really understand the needs of the rest of the work force but you will find that everywhere. If you have the right manager, you will have good opportunities. They have finally started letting people work remotely, but again only certain managers. Work life balance is good but most teams are severely short staffed and need help. The employees work relentlessly to maintain good standards and get their jobs done, regardless of not having enough help. The hospital is leading the way in great healthcare, makes you proud to work for a good organization.
NM has great talent and it's growth is exponential
Lead Printing and Workstations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 14, 2018
NM has ton's of talented individuals making a difference everyday. With that being said NM leadership was bold enough to make organizational changes that will in the long run make NM even better than before.
Pros
Good Employee atmosphere
Cons
Pay needs to be more competitive
Avoid Northwestern Medicine
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 11, 2018
Bureaucratic, defensive, unimaginative management. Everyone is afraid for their jobs. Low productivity because of this. Out of touch with their reports, what's happening, what work is being done, and who is really doing work. Laid off almost 100 in IT after Epic install without regard to all the hard work, long hours and sacrifices of these people.
Good place to work at
LPN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 8, 2018
Management does its best to recognize the employee's efforts to improve and receive good patient satisfaction feedback. great medical benefits, and retirement plan.
Too Stressful after the Corporate Takeover of Itself
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 5, 2018
I was an administrative assistant in the Department of Dermatology and liked my job until my eighth anniversary. The new Northwestern Medicine corporate culture made everything stricter and overburdensome to the point where it was unbearable. The department administration refused to listen to us employees when we complained about the newly appointed supervisor who had just started in the department a year earlier. The department management gave her free reign to be dictatorial and undermine employees. The department lost stellar personnel because of this. The work load was unbearable in an understaffed department. As one reviewer already noted, the family culture is gone now that Northwestern Medicine is a corporate conglomerate.
Pros
Benefits, salary
Cons
Strict corporate-style management, stressful, overburdensome work load
Good place to work but lots of Managment overhead
Sr. Infrastructure Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 30, 2018
Management structures change every quarter. But your job remains the same. So you have to keep re-explaining what you do to your new bosses. It is a bit chaotic but some great people and respect from outside organizations.
Pros
Flexible work life, recognition
Cons
Management structure changes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Northwestern Medicine.

Powered by Comparably