Northwestern Michigan College Employee Reviews

Buddy system is alive and well at NMC.
Prefer not to reveal position held. (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIFebruary 18, 2019
Forget advancing unless you're in with the right people, no matter how great of a job you do. Sad to see. I hear it used to be different, but things have gone downhill in recent years. Lots of disgruntled employees these days, as they are not replacing vacant positions instead opting to have others absorb the duties or make it an adjunct or supplemental position.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
One must know the right people to advance. Zero benefits
Quiet, but yet busy at times
Technology Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Travelers Rest, SCFebruary 10, 2019
This is a wonderful job. Most of the time it's answering phones, when it's the busy times. The rest of the time is working on projects for my boss, or doing homework. There are definitely busy times, and slow times
Great for Student Workers
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIFebruary 2, 2019
I worked at NMC for two semesters and it was a great way to get to know other students. NMC works seamlessly around a students class schedule and are also very understanding about putting classes first. I also was able to find ample time to do things for my classes in the slower parts of the day.
Best Place to Work While Attending NMC
Automation Assistant for WNMC (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJanuary 19, 2019
Having a student job at NMC is great, because it is more flexible to my school schedule than another job would be. My manager is very inspiring, and it is fun to work with my other coworkers and volunteers.
Pros
Being around good music
Part time adjunct
Academic Advisor Commitment Scholarship Program (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJanuary 14, 2019
Part time adjunct is somewhat a contract basis employee that is not eligible for benefits. With that said, the rate of pay is higher. I was happy and satisfied with job, working conditions, and management
Pros
No benefits for part time adjunct
Cons
Great management and working hours
Enjoyable
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIDecember 9, 2018
I enjoy tutoring so I've enjoyed the job greatly. There's a great amount of autonomy and you can expect to get all sorts of students. I have yet to find anything disagreeable in my time working at NMC.
Great Job
Front Desk Worker (Current Employee) –  North HallNovember 18, 2018
I am a student worker in the dorms and I currently love my job because I get to interact with other residents, but am also given the freedom to do my homework when needed. It is an overall easy and enjoyable job, with its occasional downsides downsides, but it works with my school schedule and it pays me as I need for income while living in the dorms.
Pros
Ability to do homework, interact with residents, meet new people
Collaborative Work Environment
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MINovember 18, 2018
Colleagues were very supportive. They were willing to share curriculum ideas and adjust ideas based on student needs. All staff were helpful and accommodating and willing to take time to answer questions.
Pros
Curriculum development
Cons
Disengaged students.
easy paced and very relaxed environment
Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIOctober 12, 2018
I really like this job because it gives you flexibility with your schedule by taking into account your classes if you are a student employee. The work isn't too hard and everyone is pretty friendly.
Pros
easy, carefree, good environment
Cons
very slow at times, not a lot of side work to do
Top-heavy levels of administration
Testing Center Administrator (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJuly 16, 2018
Very good to excellent faculty, staff and department heads. Higher-ups are rarely connected or care about what subordinates are doing. Developed curriculum and programs for students and community members.
Pros
Benefits and working with students and community.
Cons
Too many higher level administrators.
Wrong
Front Desk Worker (Former Employee) –  MichiganApril 27, 2018
The manager has his favorites and is extremely rude to certain workers and calls them drama and treats them differently then other workers. not enough pay and some of the residents are extremely rude to the workers and give them issues.
diverse working environment
Assisting students (Current Employee) –  MichiganApril 16, 2018
I had the privilege to work under many different office managers. Some were better than others, but the lifetime of learning at nmc serves to facilitate vibrancy and vigor in its patrons. I loved coming to work at NMC every day and honestly the atmosphere of community there makes me never want to leave. unfortunately student workers are forced to take classes over the summer because of nmc's strict interpretation of student worker position laws. I wish this wasn't the case. NMC showed me that I want to have a future in higher education. Whether it will be a pit-stop along the way or a permanent change, I am happy with it for now.
Pros
working on homework at work, advancement is possible with dedication, something new always, meeting students and helping them on their educational journey
Cons
no health care, no benefits for supplemental, limited hours for student workers, not a whole lot of upward mobility options
Nice job
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIApril 12, 2018
Enjoyed the work, but pay was not much. Culture is different in each department. Best part of the job was helping students. Really depends on what department you're in.
work
Aviation Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJanuary 6, 2018
perform inspections or maintenance as required per federal aviation regulations and NMC school regulations

Good opportunity for new aircraft mechanics looking to gain experience in a field with an active flight program.

Hardest part is the weeks where there is no aircraft flying due to bad weather which limits the amount of work available.
Pros
Airplane maintenance
Cons
Frequent Slow times
Beautiful environment-don't trust the management!
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MINovember 29, 2017
The management was not willing to provide all of the tools and training information to be able to learn all that was needed to learn. Extremely high expectations without complete and thorough training. Management was too involved with their own work responsibilities to devote the time needed for training to perform the job effectively.
Pros
Beautiful environment
Cons
Poor communication and training
Working at NMC
NMC Mac Lab Tech. (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MINovember 6, 2017
I really enjoyed working at NMC as a tutor in Visual Communications and Lab tech. in the mac lab. I always felt heard and like I could make a difference.
Easy Job for NMC Students
Student Life Services (Former Employee) –  MichiganSeptember 26, 2017
Working here was nice due to the fact that it worked around class schedules and didn't require much brain power. It was a fun place to work, the other student workers were very fun to work with.
Great learning experience
Student Employee- Purchasing, Teacher Aid, Hosting (Former Employee) –  MichiganMay 15, 2017
It was a great experience to take some of the knowledge acquired in school and apply into the work setting, while still being in a learning environment.
Good work experance
Tutor (Current Employee) –  MichiganMarch 26, 2017
Good place to work, flexible hours, Great management. I work with and help a very diverse group of people. I have enjoyed my time at the college both as an employee and a student.,
Repetitive, busy and dissappointing.
Private Tutor (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIFebruary 27, 2017
I would typically start my day by being handed a room with ten to twenty college students that were poorly taught in mathematics. Many of which were grown men and women who could not multiply/divide properly, and as a tutor I tried my best to teach them
it, only to return a week later and have to teach the same student it again. The most saddening part was that many of these students graduated college with the only mathematics classes they took were remedial courses. That fact was most saddening.
Pros
Easy, showed me how F'ed out education system is.
Cons
Low pay, impossibly high students-tutors ratios.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern Michigan College. Our community is ready to answer.

Northwestern Michigan College Reviews by Location