Northwestern Michigan College Employee Reviews

diverse working environment
Assisting students (Current Employee) –  MichiganApril 16, 2018
I had the privilege to work under many different office managers. Some were better than others, but the lifetime of learning at nmc serves to facilitate vibrancy and vigor in its patrons. I loved coming to work at NMC every day and honestly the atmosphere of community there makes me never want to leave. unfortunately student workers are forced to take classes over the summer because of nmc's strict interpretation of student worker position laws. I wish this wasn't the case. NMC showed me that I want to have a future in higher education. Whether it will be a pit-stop along the way or a permanent change, I am happy with it for now.
Pros
working on homework at work, advancement is possible with dedication, something new always, meeting students and helping them on their educational journey
Cons
no health care, no benefits for supplemental, limited hours for student workers, not a whole lot of upward mobility options
Nice job
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIApril 12, 2018
Enjoyed the work, but pay was not much. Culture is different in each department. Best part of the job was helping students. Really depends on what department you're in.
work
Aviation Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJanuary 6, 2018
perform inspections or maintenance as required per federal aviation regulations and NMC school regulations

Good opportunity for new aircraft mechanics looking to gain experience in a field with an active flight program.

Hardest part is the weeks where there is no aircraft flying due to bad weather which limits the amount of work available.
Pros
Airplane maintenance
Cons
Frequent Slow times
Beautiful environment-don't trust the management!
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MINovember 29, 2017
The management was not willing to provide all of the tools and training information to be able to learn all that was needed to learn. Extremely high expectations without complete and thorough training. Management was too involved with their own work responsibilities to devote the time needed for training to perform the job effectively.
Pros
Beautiful environment
Cons
Poor communication and training
Working at NMC
NMC Mac Lab Tech. (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MINovember 6, 2017
I really enjoyed working at NMC as a tutor in Visual Communications and Lab tech. in the mac lab. I always felt heard and like I could make a difference.
Easy Job for NMC Students
Student Life Services (Former Employee) –  MichiganSeptember 26, 2017
Working here was nice due to the fact that it worked around class schedules and didn't require much brain power. It was a fun place to work, the other student workers were very fun to work with.
Great learning experience
Student Employee- Purchasing, Teacher Aid, Hosting (Former Employee) –  MichiganMay 15, 2017
It was a great experience to take some of the knowledge acquired in school and apply into the work setting, while still being in a learning environment.
Good work experance
Tutor (Current Employee) –  MichiganMarch 26, 2017
Good place to work, flexible hours, Great management. I work with and help a very diverse group of people. I have enjoyed my time at the college both as an employee and a student.,
Repetitive, busy and dissappointing.
Private Tutor (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIFebruary 27, 2017
I would typically start my day by being handed a room with ten to twenty college students that were poorly taught in mathematics. Many of which were grown men and women who could not multiply/divide properly, and as a tutor I tried my best to teach them
it, only to return a week later and have to teach the same student it again. The most saddening part was that many of these students graduated college with the only mathematics classes they took were remedial courses. That fact was most saddening.
Pros
Easy, showed me how F'ed out education system is.
Cons
Low pay, impossibly high students-tutors ratios.
good benefits, pleasant work environment
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MISeptember 9, 2015
As a public school the benefits are state mandated.

Job changed from day to day with interesting projects.

Was able to make many improvements to job duties.
Upbeat workplace
Sound Mixing Boards (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIMarch 30, 2015
Very outdated infrastructure when it comes to signing up for classes and interacting with you teacher. I appreciated several aspects, and disliked others.
Love my job, hate the pay
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJanuary 5, 2015
A typical day at work means using project management tools to produce marketing materials for all facets of the college. I've learned a lot about design and more about working within a team. I have great respect and adoration for my co-workers. I genuinely enjoy every part of my job and it will be hard to leave. The hardest part of my job is that hard fact that there is currently no room for my professional growth in the budget.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern Michigan College. Our community is ready to answer.

Northwestern Michigan College Reviews by Location