Northwestern Mutual Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 2,219 reviews matching the search See all 2,225 reviews
Great company with some mentoring issues
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 14, 2018
I never doubted how great Northwestern Mutual was as a company, but working as a Financial Representative backed by them was not quite what I expected. I knew the position was commission based and that did scare me a little, but everything I heard going into the position was as long as I work hard and use the information that is provided in training I will have a good start and then I would just have to keep up the momentum. I cannot speak for every office, but the office where I worked had several very successful Financial Representatives. The problem here was that they were extremely busy with all of their own work, so joint-work with them would at times be very difficult to set up. Also, several of these experienced representatives didn't want to take the time on the "little fish." These facts, along with my network not being in the same state as my office did not produce a good start, which lead me to feel like I didn't belong.
Pros
Great benefits if you succeed
Cons
Work-life balance starting out can be tough
A great place to grow
Associate Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Lake Elmo, MNAugust 13, 2018
I enjoyed the new opportunities to learn at this company. They were very open to sending me to training and it was a very worthwhile venture to obtain my insurance license for this opportunity.
Intership
Financial Representative - Internship (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILAugust 13, 2018
I only worked here for a summer while in college. I really did not have much of a chance to put much effort into the job as I went to summer school. The way this program was set up is to use college kids as a referral base to the other reps whereby parents and relatives would likely sign up for insurance products if their kids were working there. The rep would get an 80 percent cut and the intern 20.
Pros
Internship
Cons
There was not much focus on the career only a referral base
No time off available
Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Franklin, WIAugust 13, 2018
PTO is given to employees, but there are no available days to take off. Very little coaching support. Not a very supportive environment. There is no work/life balance.
Toxic Workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 12, 2018
This is the worst place I have ever worked. All levels of leadership are terrible. I wouldn't even advise someone to be a policy owner at NM. The current leadership regime will run this company into the ground.
Lack of training
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJAugust 10, 2018
Lack of direct contact with boss. Had to learn on your own. Considerable client contact, proposals, multiple projects in fast pace environment. Maintain accurate and detailed client records, responding to client inquiries.
Pros
Opportunity to do different projects daily. Not boring
Cons
Lack of direct training
Great Culture with an environment of high level of performance
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAAugust 10, 2018
-Great Mentors
-Great opportunity to grow
-Always being motivated by mentors, peers and top management to work hard
-Very hard work, but if you put in the time you will be very successful.
Pros
Great people, a lot of benefits, helped build professionalism
Cons
Very Hard job, high pressure.
good company
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIAugust 9, 2018
the opportunity is very good if you are willing to work hard. appleton is a hard location to make it work but the people are very friendly and helpful.
Ok temporary solution
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Franklin, WIAugust 8, 2018
It was an ok job that had less than ok pay. Lots and lots of training and then not a lot of help once you’re out on your own. They micromanage everything and if you’re interested in moving up forget about it.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Micromanagement
Fast paced and self motivated
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 8, 2018
Working at Northwestern Mutual was a great experience. At the end of the day it is a simple job...but it is not easy. You need to be able to thrive in the fast paced environment and be self motivated to go above and beyond what you are taught in order to be successful. There will never be an end in learning and applying new skills. A great opportunity for anyone who is feeling stagnant and looking for a daily/weekly challenge.
Internship
Financial Representative Internship (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 8, 2018
I do not recommend this internship. They do not provide you with leads, you will have to provide your own. You will be required to sell life insurance to your friends and family.
Pros
flexible schedule
Northwestern Mutual
Financial Representative Intern (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 8, 2018
Everyone can do this job but it is not for everyone. You have to be motivated to make your own business and essentially you must really enjoy sales. This isn't the most analytical job but rather and sales job. You will be asked to call all your closest friends and family to help build your client base. If this makes you uncomfortable than this probably isn't the job for you. I think it's a good company with good intentions but it's just the nature of this business to have to stay on the phone and call asking for meetings.
Pros
Great company culture, good training, flexible working
Cons
Compensation is completely on your ability to produce
Stepping Stone
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Franklin, WIAugust 7, 2018
Working as a technical support analyst was a stepping stone in my IT career.

It was draining to have to take calls all day and it helped me realize that this is not ideal position for me. I despise phone positions now. It was an intense learning experience and I enjoyed my autonomy for my health and well-being. Northwestern Mutual supports over 10,000 field reps and when I worked there. God forbids anything breaking because you will be on the phones from the time your shift starts until your shift finishes which could cause mild depression if you come across multiple angry field reps who needed their computer fixed yesterday.

The most enjoyable about this job is the fact that I was able to learn various issues. It really gave my opportunity to put my brain to work before it got boring.

The down fall is that management just look at SLA stats and nothing else when the decide to promote you which could take up to a year or more. Even if you are meeting the metrics they will place you in other ques without additional pay. The turn-around is very high. Most techs are only there for a few months before they move on.

I would spend no more than 6 months as a Tech Support Analyst at this company. Build the valuable skills you need and get out. Don't think twice or you will be disappointed. They will not hesitate to fire you at any moments time.
Pros
Free Lunches, Supportive Training team
Cons
SLA standards are unreasonable, High Turn over rate
Great Company
Financial Representative Intern (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDAugust 6, 2018
I loved every minute of working with Northwestern Mutual. It's difficult job which isn't meant for everyone but as long as you give it your all, you should be successful
Good workplace, but not for everyone
Financial Representative Intern (Former Employee) –  Morristown, NJAugust 6, 2018
Great work/life balance opportunity
Learned a lot about myself and the industry of financial services
Had to call on family and friends which was uncomfortable
Overall not for everyone, and is what you make of it
Intern
Financial Representative Intern (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 6, 2018
They hire you so the higher up representatives can take all of your hard work once the internship ends. They make you call family and friends and put you in awkward positions.
Not much room for advancement or permanent career opportunties
Data Analyst - Concierge Services (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 4, 2018
Not much room for long term career advancement opportunities. No benefits. Company keeps temps on for long periods of time with no hope for permanent placement.
5 star financial education
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 4, 2018
if you want to be successful in the financial service business, you must start your day with a plan, learn how to manage your time, and don't let fear stand in your way!
Difficult working on commission and over 12 hour days, always need to be available
College Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Carroll, IAAugust 4, 2018
A very difficult job, especially starting out. Only got commission, and if you don't know anyone it could take a long time to make a sale. The culture is very competitive.
No Job Security in Network Offices
Director of Network Office Supervision (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 3, 2018
Exciting opportunity at first until you learn about the culture and the huge turnover of employees in some network offices. Very scary and no job security if you work in a network office as you are contracted to the managing partner directly. Working in a network office also means there is no HR you can turn to in case you are not being treated the way you should. Whether you stay with the network office or not really depends on the managing partner liking or not liking you anymore and you have no support.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight