Northwestern Mutual Employee Reviews

Found 2,231 reviews matching the search See all 2,237 reviews
Can be a good career.
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 20, 2018
A typical day at work is to have a meeting with mentors about sales and activity goals. You are expected to make at least 40 calls per day and schedule 25 meetings per week. This is supposed to be your own financial practice so all business development, most expenses associated with having your own business, and marketing is all on you. Sales goals are extremely hard to continuously meet and there is about a 5% retention rate of new reps.
Terrible Company
FINANCIAL REPRESENTATIVE INTERN (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 20, 2018
This company is built like a pyramid scheme and they prey on interns and make it sound great until you get there and they use you.They get interns to get leads and they take them.
Awesome Experience
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAAugust 20, 2018
I was in the internship program, all hands on learning and overall an awesome experience. Great mentor-ship, great culture, great work environment. All initiative and hard work. You get out what you put in.
Okay
Financial Representative Intern (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJAugust 18, 2018
The financial representative internship shows you how to build relationships but also forces you to sell to friends and acquaintances. Not the most pleasant experience for someone without a strong natural network.
Great Place to Work
College Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILAugust 18, 2018
I enjoyed being a CFR here! The environment was helpful for an incoming student that wanted to learn how to find and generate sales. This is a position for someone looking to find success on their own- must be willing to step out and find contacts/sales.
Good company going through big changes
Thrive App Co-Founder (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 17, 2018
Still working through growing pains of becoming a more digitally-driven, planning-centric CX company. Have lost some talent in the past few years because of the churn.
Great place to work depends on who you work for
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 17, 2018
Since each financial advisor is an independent contractor what you are paid and benefits vary team to team. You could make much much more working for one advisor doing the same amount of work compared to another. Working for the agency is not desirable as agency employees are overworked and underpaid for what they do. There is a cap on what you can go to within a specific team or within the agency, great entry level starting point.
Cons
No health insurance coverage
It's not for everyone.
FINANCIAL REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 16, 2018
This company provides a lot of opportunity to learn about the industry. You deal with clients and building personal relationships. There is minimal support while starting your career (which takes several years).
Pros
They genuinely seem to care about their employees and clients.
Cons
If you're here, you're here for life. No salary.
Well respected company
FINANCIAL REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXAugust 16, 2018
Northwestern Mutual is a well established, well respected company with over 150 years of history. A life insurance company in the beginning, they expanded to include financial advisory services in the 1920's and currently have over $138 Billion is assets.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Strictly formal
Great Company
Client Relations Center (CRC) Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 15, 2018
Northwestern Mutual is a great company to work for. I met a lot of great people. I would recommend this company to others. The culture is a friendly atmosphere.
not to good
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTAugust 14, 2018
I wasn't to pleased with this company. They use college students as instruments to gain new clients such as their friends and family. Once we lose people to reach they let us go.
Pros
gain a lot of experience
Cons
terrible
Great company with some mentoring issues
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 14, 2018
I never doubted how great Northwestern Mutual was as a company, but working as a Financial Representative backed by them was not quite what I expected. I knew the position was commission based and that did scare me a little, but everything I heard going into the position was as long as I work hard and use the information that is provided in training I will have a good start and then I would just have to keep up the momentum. I cannot speak for every office, but the office where I worked had several very successful Financial Representatives. The problem here was that they were extremely busy with all of their own work, so joint-work with them would at times be very difficult to set up. Also, several of these experienced representatives didn't want to take the time on the "little fish." These facts, along with my network not being in the same state as my office did not produce a good start, which lead me to feel like I didn't belong.
Pros
Great benefits if you succeed
Cons
Work-life balance starting out can be tough
A great place to grow
Associate Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Lake Elmo, MNAugust 13, 2018
I enjoyed the new opportunities to learn at this company. They were very open to sending me to training and it was a very worthwhile venture to obtain my insurance license for this opportunity.
Intership
Financial Representative - Internship (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILAugust 13, 2018
I only worked here for a summer while in college. I really did not have much of a chance to put much effort into the job as I went to summer school. The way this program was set up is to use college kids as a referral base to the other reps whereby parents and relatives would likely sign up for insurance products if their kids were working there. The rep would get an 80 percent cut and the intern 20.
Pros
Internship
Cons
There was not much focus on the career only a referral base
No time off available
Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Franklin, WIAugust 13, 2018
PTO is given to employees, but there are no available days to take off. Very little coaching support. Not a very supportive environment. There is no work/life balance.
Toxic Workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 12, 2018
This is the worst place I have ever worked. All levels of leadership are terrible. I wouldn't even advise someone to be a policy owner at NM. The current leadership regime will run this company into the ground.
Lack of training
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJAugust 10, 2018
Lack of direct contact with boss. Had to learn on your own. Considerable client contact, proposals, multiple projects in fast pace environment. Maintain accurate and detailed client records, responding to client inquiries.
Pros
Opportunity to do different projects daily. Not boring
Cons
Lack of direct training
Great Culture with an environment of high level of performance
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAAugust 10, 2018
-Great Mentors
-Great opportunity to grow
-Always being motivated by mentors, peers and top management to work hard
-Very hard work, but if you put in the time you will be very successful.
Pros
Great people, a lot of benefits, helped build professionalism
Cons
Very Hard job, high pressure.
good company
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIAugust 9, 2018
the opportunity is very good if you are willing to work hard. appleton is a hard location to make it work but the people are very friendly and helpful.
Ok temporary solution
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Franklin, WIAugust 8, 2018
It was an ok job that had less than ok pay. Lots and lots of training and then not a lot of help once you’re out on your own. They micromanage everything and if you’re interested in moving up forget about it.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Micromanagement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight