Northwestern Mutual

United States3,753 reviews

Found 3,753 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,769 reviews
mutualfinancialsaleamazeclientnmcommissionadvisor

Supportive workplace culture

This is a typical commission only job, so you get what ever you put in. However, training is top notch. You get all the tools you need to be successful and you receive great support when needed. All you need to do is ask.

Good workplace

Everyone here wants everyone to succeed. A great company to work and gives you the opportunity to make as much money as you (entirely up to you). The managers make sure that they help you and guide you to be successful.

Northwestern Mutual insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job
  • General feeling of work happiness

I had 4 supervisors.

Make friends or you are gone. Since I left management has early retired / let go many over the age of 50 workers. I know several people that happened to. They want young faces.

horrible business model

They constantly pressure you to sell to friends and family and vocally talk about not caring about helping others but are only interested in signing someone up for a big premium.

Rewarding for putting in hard work.

A very good and well known company. If you are self driven and able to push yourself, this can be a very rewarding poisiton with the potential to earn a lot. One downside is leads are not provided so you have to be very proactive in this role.

Fantastic culture & compensation for hard/smart work. Making an impact.

This is a place for people with a growth mindset, that value flexibility AND hard work. The culture of the company is the best I have every been a part of. I am able to make over 6-figures, and I am in my 3rd year with the firm. The first year was the hardest. I took a slight pay cut, but now I am able to make an impact on clients, helping them reach their goals, while making money and an impact on my family.

Pros

Income, Impact, development, culture

Cons

Starting a business is hard, but NM provides you with the training, You need to be able to listen and lead.

Good people

Most everyone here wants the best for clients and it shows. The people are friendly and technology is consistently getting better. I enjoyed working here most days

Happy that I joined NM-NNE!

My onboarding process at NM-NNE was fast-paced! When you say yes, this group wastes no time in getting you up and running to start your career.The training I’ve had has been top-notch, and I’ve had some excellent training throughout my career, so that’s saying something.From this Network Office to our Home Office in Milwaukee, everyone has been exceptional in providing me with the tools I need to be successful.I am beyond thrilled to have joined NM in February 2022.

Do not work here if you are young.

This business specifically requires you to find connections and then have them give you referrals everyday for the rest of your life. I think its a great business when you are older in your 30's-40's because you'll have met many people through work and other ways and they'll trust you're judgement more than trusting someone who is 22 years old out of college who lives at home with their parents.

Strong company with extremely supportive and kind leadership

I work for Northwestern Mutual as a College Financial Representative in Austin, TX. My experience with the company has been better than I could have ever imagined. I came into the role with no prior work experience in the field of Finance and the program has helped to teach me so much about myself and the career. You will be surrounded by very supportive and helpful leaders who are committed to helping you learn and achieve your goals. Everyone you will meet in the office is professional, respectful, kind, and there to make a positive impact in the lives of others. If you’re looking for a hands-on opportunity to work as a financial advisor and help others, the internship program at Northwestern Mutual is a fantastic and rewarding opportunity.

Pros

Strong company, supportive leadership, professional environment, excellent opportunity to learn

Great Place to work

Overall the company is a great place to work. Coworkers are amazing and the culture is great so far. Managers can be micro managers at times which can become annoying but overall satisfied with working here

Great work culture and supportive management

The training is very comprehensive and exhaustive but helpful in equipping you to know what you need to do. The work culture and help from management is great. The only down side is leads come from family and friends.

Pros

Work environment

Cons

Leads are from family and friends

Poor management

Manager doesn’t care if you stay or go. Throwing darts to see who sticks. No guidance or mentorship. If you don’t sell permanent insurance you don’t make money.

Pros

Free schedule

Cons

Commission based

Great financial industry experience.

I interned at NW mutual for 9 months, as a full-time student with another part-time job on the side, it was tough to build a business. Tough to make this a career late in my college studies because it's commission based. I learned a ton and met some great advisors/people there that I'll have as connections for the rest of my life.

Pros

Great culture and team, learning opportunities, and personal growth.

Cons

Commission base structure, and have to dedicate a ton of time to be successful.

It depends on the rep you work with.

The rep makes all the difference. I unfortunately did not get a great one. The benefits are expensive and the rep does not follow the company's days off. They pick what works from them. Poor, poor training.

Great compensation plan-- needs to be emphasized more to minimize turnover

Loved the people, education, products, and accountability. Going to the home office annual meeting in Milwaukee is great. Encouragement to get your CLU and ChFC designations. Being selected for Career School. Competition to make the Million Dollar Round Table.

Pros

Compensation Plan with many parts

Cons

So much paper work and computer work without an assistant before one can afford one.

Great Opportunity

Not many careers, outside of doctor/lawyer have the ability to earn what you can earn in this career. It can be a grind, but for the organized, entrepreneurial individual, it’s a grand slam career choice

Great supportive place to work at

Started as an intern and then worked part-time while in school. The manager was very supportive and there was not micro-managing. Lots of opportunities to learn and grow.

Management weak, unsupportive,

Very little guidance as a new hire, management not readily available. Commission only. Encouraged to sell to your own family members. Very high employee turnover rate. Strange culture.

If you enjoy being a professional dinosaur, then this is the place for you.

If you enjoy being a professional dinosaur and following protocols from the 1950s and 1960s of Alfred P. Granum, then this is the place for you. If you are a modern and relevant candidate of 2022 with talent, skills and looking to make money, never apply here. They pale hard in comparison to the field. They do not do any modern and relevant staff development. If you are in high school and college, and have no other options in life, Northwestern Mutual will hire you. Northwestern Mutual is an Option for the Absolute Optionless.

Would go back in a heart beat.

It was actually really stupid of me to leave this job. I thought I had a better job opportunity and I did not and by then it was too late to go back. The constant communication and caring of the management was great. They really want to see their new employees succeed in what they are doing. They supply you with everything that you need to be successful. If you needed help then it was there.

Common questions about Northwestern Mutual

Answered by current and former employees at Northwestern Mutual

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Northwestern Mutual.
Powered byComparably