Northwestern Mutual
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from Northwestern Mutual:

Northwestern Mutual Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA16 reviews
Supportive workplace culture
This is a typical commission only job, so you get what ever you put in. However, training is top notch. You get all the tools you need to be successful and you receive great support when needed. All you need to do is ask.
Professional work environment
A typical day at work includes starting your day by phoning to set appointments. Then conducting your appointments throughout the day whether they are in person or on the phone. My time at NWM taught me how to manage a book of business as well as allowed me to practice formal communication skills on the phone. Management was very helpful to me and there was a solid hard working culture. The hardest part of the job is that it is 100% commission based. The most enjoyable part of the job is making a positive impact on the community.
Tough Compensation
Hard to make money on a steady basis. Their model is designed to get as many people in the door as possible to generate business for them, and then take their renewals when they don't pan out.
Be careful for what you wish for
They do a great job training on insurances but advertise themselves as "hollistic". They have no regard for 1st years and take their clients when the advisor leaves, continuing to fuel the companies financial needs.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Consistency
Fine
Typical Day consist of whatever we decide to do in order to sell at least 20 lives in 6 months. I learned a lot about being an efficient financial adviser. The hardest part of the job was being okay with people saying know and actually getting quality referrals.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Great Culture
Great culture and amazing opportunity. Very competitive pay structure and hard field to stay in. Great support system and management in my office in DC. No base pay but strictly a commission and renewal pay structure. If you make it to 4-5 years in this company you will really start to excel and reap the reward.
Aaa
Over the past 5 years I have been working with the firm, I have grown to understand more about how Northwestern as a platform to begin and grow your financial advisory business seems tough to beat. While NM has allowed me exclusive access to their insurance and investment advisory platform, they also are not captive to just their products and which helps me feel confident when doing financial planning.
This internship is the real deal
There's literally no difference between what you and a veteran financial advisor would do. If you have a network of people you trust. You can't lose with this company.
Life Insurance Company
Excellent Company - Top in the field of Insurance Companies. Terrific client relationships, excellent client service. Cutting edge in the financial services industry.
Pros
Excellent opportunities
Great place
Productive Fun Work Place, great management. Good work/ life balance. Helping clients is rewarding. Flexible schedule and weekends available. Learned property management.
Productive workplace full of motivated professionals
My experience at Northwestern Mutual has been incredible. A typical day starts at 7:30 and ends around 6:00 or 7:00. The first several hours are spent in the office at production or training meetings and contacting clients as well as prospective clients. The rest of the day is spent working with clients, pitching financial planning ideas, posting your activity for the day, and planning for the following day.

Over a period of 5 months I learned more about personal and corporate financial planning, estate planning, and the markets than I would have learned through years of finance classes. The most important lesson I will take with me from my experience at Northwestern is my new appreciation for listening. The management in the office was very helpful and had decades of experience. I learned to sit back and listen to experienced professionals about life and the industry.

My coworkers were very personable and easy to work with. I felt very welcomed in the office. I was not treated like an intern throughout my entire time with the company. The hardest part of the job is tied to the most enjoyable part of the job. I learned how to deal with "no" this summer. It is not easy taking rejection all of the time. I believe it is important to understand you do not get what you want and everyone is not going to like you. The best part of the job was the feeling of success. The intrinsic reward of earning the trust someone with their finances is very special. It was a great feeling to see someone appreciate your knowledge and hard work.

I gained real professional workplace experience,
 - more...
good pay if you work hard
lots of cold calling, good pay if youre willing to work, unlimited days off, but no money if you dont work. good staff, good management, good motivation
Learn about life insurance
It is really beneficially for me to lean about life insurance and improve my Admin skills
Nice place to work
Great people to work with. Even though it was just a temporary assignment they treated me like an employee.
Great place to work as a Financial rep if you can handle sales
Great place to work. Sales it tough though an especially on all commission. If you have no problem with all commission jump right in.
Pros
training and culture
Cons
tough industry
Culture and Events
As Marketing Coordinator for NMFN, I was in charge of all of our events and operations. We have about 10-15 annual events a year which I organize for our whole agency of 200 people. The events are from small breakfasts to black tie dinners to award shows. A main event that I organize is the Annual Meeting. This is a trip to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, every July for 80-90 of our Financial Representatives and their staff. I book travel, events, and coordinate hotel rooms. Besides working on our agency events, I handled the agency's operations. This inlcudes everything from managing the relationships with our vendors to fixing phones and printer problems.
Pros
amazing dedicated people and hard working staff
Cons
compensation, benefits, job advancement