Northwestern Mutual Employee Reviews

Found 2,499 reviews matching the search See all 2,505 reviews
Big company - Odd Culture
Project Consultant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 6, 2018
I worked at Northwestern Mutual for two years as a consultant. I guess the best way to describe their business culture is "confused". They will jump into projects without preparation or a clear outcome in mind, ramp up and throw tons of money at a project, only to haphazardly abandon the project before it's completed or tested. After working on a project for a year and obtaining funding to move the project forward, the project was abruptly shelved as they laid-off more than 20% of their workforce to pay for the two new office buildings downtown. Interestingly enough, the company continues to give credit for my work to other employees. They have incompetent employees who are not trained or developed, yet they constantly praise each other for the outstanding work they do. Their field financial offices are given no support or training and feel abandoned by the parent corporation.
Pros
Free Lunch, nice office buildings
Cons
Bad management, no advancement
Competitive Work environment with unlimited earning potential
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 11, 2019
Most crucial part of the job is building a clientele. If you can't network and fill up your pipeline early you will be in trouble. Management tries to train you but your success comes completely from taking matter in your own hand. Typical day involves making phone calls and scheduling meetings. Will deal with a lot of rejection, tough to make it past the early years but if you are able to you will reap the benefits of this career.
Pros
Create your own schedule unlimited earning potential
Cons
100% commission tough to get started
IT Company Inside An Insurance Giant
Product Owner (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 4, 2019
Great place to work and premier employer in the Milwaukee area. Plenty of room to grow your skill set and ample development opportunities all-around. Supportive managers and knowledgeable teams. If you’re not used to corporate politics, siloed disciplines and working with a large, risk-adverse enterprise, consider if you’re up to it before applying. Change takes time, and there’s plenty of it needed to continue to be competitive.
Pros
Free lunch, benefits, compensation, autonomy, agile development, understanding business partners, technical talent
Cons
Siloed teams, constant reorganization of departments, process heavy
I was blessed to have the opportunity
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Fishers, INOctober 2, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to meet with clients and have a positive and significant impact on their financial lives. I learned that this is a career that needs to be started at a younger age and with less family responsibility. The earning potential is outstanding, if you can survive the building your client base phase. The culture is terrific and very welcoming. The hardest part of this career is being able to reconcile the emotions of rejection, extreme high and lows and be able to build the discipline to make calls, make calls, make calls.
Pros
Earning potential and benefits
Cons
Takes time to build a practice
Supportive and Organized Environment With Strong Character
Financial Planning Intern (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 11, 2018
Overall, Northwestern Mutual is an extremely established company in which an employee can rest assured will never go out of business. On top of that security, each employee is given a fair chance to prove themselves and given the right tools for success. The benefits are substantial, with many leadership opportunities as well as company perks like gym access, getaways, sales coaching, and more.

The environment in each office varies, however many of them strive to maintain the company's morals of putting each client first and working in a team-based workplace. Every employee supports each other and pushes their coworkers towards success.

The leadership teams are tough, however, it is a tough job that strives to only accept the best of the best, and that shows.
Pros
Flexible hours, prestige, benefits, high compensation
Blue jeans, tennis shoes, and motif t-shirts culture arrived on the scene over the past 4 years.
Compensation and Account Case Analyst (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 5, 2018
It was a privilege to work at Northwestern Mutual home office for the past 21 years. I enjoyed my job fully and felt that my contribution through my work played a part in the success of the compensation department. I thoroughly enjoyed being the "go to" person to resolve field issues and do history research to resolve problems and move the department process forward. I studied the process of work flow and developed a time efficient and accuracy method of processing in the department. I was asked by my previous manager to teach the others in the office the techniques for more efficiency in the department. It is still used today.
Pros
Health Care Clinic on campus
Cons
I thouroughly loved my job. All good.
It's all commission
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 4, 2018
Do not be fooled, this is more of a life insurance company than a financial company. You will be selling life insurance for most of your first year and are required to meet daily sales and production targets of 40 call a day and 3 sales a week. You are required to tap into your current network of friends and family and I was very uncomfortable being known by my peers as someone using them for professional gain. Some can do really well but many often leave because they can't make any money. A commission-only pay structure can be very lucrative, but also risky as the slow sales cylce of life insurance might mean you won't get paid for a month if you don't consistenty close deals. Don't say you haven't been warned.
Pros
Commission after 5 years, great looking office, looks great on resumes
Cons
All commission, no base salary, long sales cylce, have to tap into personal network, life insurance is hard to sell.
Business Technology Consultant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 6, 2018
Northwestern Mutual has a strong focus on technology to support the customer - recently transitioning manual and analog processes to technology driven solutions. Some might perceive this as a lag in technology due to the lack of resources, financial or managerial support - rather it is due to the ability of satellite offices to continue to provide focused attention to the customer while keeping up with the rapid change in technology and how to utilize it effectively to grow their business. This means there is a lot of opportunity. Every employee has an opportunity to participate in solutions and be heard. You are accountable to continue to educate yourself with (for example) changes in technology and the company provides multiple opportunities to do that. Northwestern Mutual is involved with and cares about the community and there are many ways to get involved. Overall Northwestern Mutual is a very solid company and a great place to work.
Pros
Community involvement, lunch on site, benefits
Challenging but rewarding although not for everyone
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  East LansingAugust 30, 2018
For the most part I enjoyed working for NWM but it definitely isn't for everyone. The workplace culture is excellent and the people are what make it great but the lack of structure was a little too much for me. The business structure is different and wouldn't recommend this to anyone who really isn't into sales. They claim to do a lot of "financial planning" against advisers who only strive to invest your money but it's really just an excuse to promote life insurance.
Pros
Earning potential, flexibility, great learning experience
Cons
Uncertainty, no base salary so 100% commission based, mixing relationships with business
Great company with some mentoring issues
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 14, 2018
I never doubted how great Northwestern Mutual was as a company, but working as a Financial Representative backed by them was not quite what I expected. I knew the position was commission based and that did scare me a little, but everything I heard going into the position was as long as I work hard and use the information that is provided in training I will have a good start and then I would just have to keep up the momentum. I cannot speak for every office, but the office where I worked had several very successful Financial Representatives. The problem here was that they were extremely busy with all of their own work, so joint-work with them would at times be very difficult to set up. Also, several of these experienced representatives didn't want to take the time on the "little fish." These facts, along with my network not being in the same state as my office did not produce a good start, which lead me to feel like I didn't belong.
Pros
Great benefits if you succeed
Cons
Work-life balance starting out can be tough

Want to know more about Northwestern Mutual?

Ask a question
Encouraging environment and culture but lacking in compensation and incentive for improvement
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLSeptember 5, 2018
Northwestern Mutual is great at selling Life Insurance. But, with regards to job satisfaction, benefits, and compensation, expect to struggle during your first few years. The commission only compensation encourages selling rather than helping clients and management does not encourage improvement or advancement through licensing in securities.
Pros
Training and Benefits
Cons
Lack of Salary
Northwestern Mutual
Financial Representative Intern (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 8, 2018
Everyone can do this job but it is not for everyone. You have to be motivated to make your own business and essentially you must really enjoy sales. This isn't the most analytical job but rather and sales job. You will be asked to call all your closest friends and family to help build your client base. If this makes you uncomfortable than this probably isn't the job for you. I think it's a good company with good intentions but it's just the nature of this business to have to stay on the phone and call asking for meetings.
Pros
Great company culture, good training, flexible working
Cons
Compensation is completely on your ability to produce
Great place for entrepreneurs to succeed
College Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 27, 2018
As a financial representative, you are given a lot of freedom with how you structure your day and are often able to work from home on certain occasions. There is no salary base pay, only commission so it is up to you to meet with clients and make sales. Management could be improved in this area in particular, but the organization is amazing in the full scope of things.
overall pleasant experience
Technology & Productivity Coach/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Clayton, MONovember 25, 2018
Great corporate benefits, great company to work for. The leadership in the corporate office is very focused and supportive. They provide the opportunity to build and create your position, but there is not much chance for advancement if you do not live in Milwaukee.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
local management
Attempting to be agile with sticks and mud
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Franklin, WIJuly 8, 2018
Poor work life balance. Managers ask about your ambitions but work to prevent movement within the company if you're of any value to the current department. Benefits have definitely taken a nose dive in the recent years with primary doctors that use to be covered not anymore with limited options outside of Milwaukee. Expectations set by management and the business are often out of touch with what the engineers state are obtainable with the end result of the expectation that you are available to work 24 hours a day.
Pros
Free lunch, Remote days
Cons
Poor work/life balance
Not a great place to start your career
Sales Executive Team (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNSeptember 11, 2018
The mission of the company is selling people products. The management is only concerned with metrics and not really concerned about the people who work there. The only benefit was paid time off and a small contribution to a 401(k).
For a small office the work environment was unnecessarily stressful and petty.
There are very few opportunities to advance. Raises and increases are not generous.
Hard but rewarding
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 20, 2018
One of the toughest careers I have had. It is what you put into it. You work hard you will be rewarded. Not a career for everyone. But if you make it through the first few years, it could be a career you retire with. It is highly lucrative for top producers.
Pros
Business owner, flexible schedule, good compensation
Cons
Lack of effort will lead to lack of results. Commission only.
Excellent Company
Continuing Legal Education Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 24, 2018
If you are willing to work and have the ambition for advancement, this company is for you.

NM has tuition reimbursement to get your degree.

Many in-house courses to advance your knowledge in the financial industry

In-house advancement

Anyone wanting a career not just a job can advance at NM
Pros
Benefits, in-house advancement
Cons
Productive and inclusive work place
Call Center Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 20, 2018
Northwestern Mutual is a progressive company to work for that is interested in providing an inclusive culture for all of their employees. All of their campuses are beautiful and well maintained. A normal work day is 8.5 hours with 30 minutes for lunch.
Pros
Multiple campuses, benefits and free lunch
Cons
I do not have any
Productive and Friendly workplace
College Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTNovember 12, 2018
management are very nice. Very friendly and helpful people. Starting up your business can be overwhelming, you are the one finding prospects, they don't give you clients. It is a good job if you are OK with getting a salary that is fulled shared commission.
Pros
very friendly personnel
Cons
takes time to get your first pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP15%
In the Top 15% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Northwestern Mutual.

Powered by Comparably