Northwestern Mutual Employee Reviews

Provides a challenging work environment
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 21, 2018
Everyone at the local level is related and getting along with the local franchise owners can be challenging as most are not well experienced or educated.
Pros
outstanding corporate support
Cons
leaders at the local level are not trained or educated
Work life balance good, great tools and learning opportunities.
Senior Technical Product Management (Former Employee) –  Downtown Milwaukee WIJune 21, 2018
Changing culture in the last year to hiring young employees and moving away from long term retention of employees. Drastic change in the 160 year culture at Northwestern Mutual.
Cut-throat workplace mentality
Business Administration Internship (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTJune 20, 2018
Manage your time well, learn to deal with difficult clients and be able to move on with a positive attitude even after hearing the word 'no' countless times. Cold calling means quotas need to be hit at the end of each month
Pros
Make own hours
Cons
Cold calling
Flawed Business
Financial Advising Intern (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 19, 2018
After experiencing Northwestern Mutual, I cannot offer too much in the realm of positivity. Any insurance company who pushes Whole Life Insurance onto ignorant consumers (or "clients") deserves to be treated as scum.
Pros
Work at your own discretion
Cons
Culture, Industry, Lack of Human Decency
Great Company Culture
Investment Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 19, 2018
It has a great company culture. They're very understanding towards students. They should market their financial representative internship a little less, since it makes them seem like they have low standards. Otherwise it's a nice company.
It was a job
Security/Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 19, 2018
I met lifetime friends there, PTO was nice too. When I started there the lunch was great but the menu items change for more healthy selections. Free gym.
Either you make it or you don't
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 18, 2018
It is a very fraternity type atmosphere where if you are one of the chosen you are given more latitude, but if you are anything else you are shown the door quickly.
Pros
Good training program
Cons
Not enough support
Educational
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 18, 2018
I was an unpaid intern. It was a comfortable environment with a friendly, cooperative, knowledgable staff that were very willing to share their expertise with me.
Pros
Valuable experience
Cons
Term wasn't long enough
Professional atmosphere and great mentors
Intern - Development Division (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 18, 2018
I was fortunate to have interned at this company while I was attending college in New York City. I was a part of the development team and handled a multitude of tasks. I was in direct contact with all of the C-level suite managers and learned a lot from the exposure I was afforded.
A grind for the first 3-5 years
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 18, 2018
Northwestern is a great company that has a very solid reputation on the financial world.

As a rep you start out by truly just selling insurance. Some consider themselves financial advisers but in all reality they are just selling insurance.

The guys that have been around 5+ years are actually advisers and do good planning.

Some of the leadership in the Houston office is ehh but as a whole there are some really good people that work there and do really care about others.
Pros
Good people, a good mission
Cons
Tough to start off at 100% commission
No HR means abuse is tolerated
Associate Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 16, 2018
We work for the rep and the rep has a lot of authority over how he/she treats his/her employees. There are no HR options that can handle a cruel/inappropriate rep. I was the fourth person in my position in a year. I stayed for 2 years and quit to go back to school. I can honestly say that it was some of the most stressful and emotionally exhausting months of my life. My rep thought nothing of verbally and emotionally abusing me and my co-workers loudly/publicly. I was warned about him by multiple people in the office. NM staff either could not or would not curb his behavior. Unacceptable.
Pros
co workers are kind
Cons
no HR, no benefits, Rep has too much autonomy
Intern
Summer Intern, Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 15, 2018
Awesome working underneath a senior financial advisor. Great exposure to the business and a very relaxed work environment. Fun group in the office as well.
Fun workplace with a high intensity attitude
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 15, 2018
The typical day varies greatly since every agent's schedule is left completely up to themselves. Personally, I would make dials in the morning as I tried to get in touch with referrals and other contacts, followed by meetings in the afternoon, and finally bookkeeping matters before I went home.

I have worked in two different offices, with the first having a wonderful atmosphere of friendship and support, and the second being slow and somber.

While agents do not have bosses, I have had multiple mentors, all of whom have been supportive, available and helpful.

I found setting meetings with people you know (even those you know well) with the hopes of talking about personal finances to be quite difficult.
Pros
Freedom of schedule, high revenues very possible
Cons
No salary, "figure it out" nature of job
Professional and productive place to work and build a great work ethic.
FINANCIAL REPRESENTATIVE INTERN (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 15, 2018
You get their early in the morning and proceed with a daily meeting about objectives, different techniques, and reiterations about your goals and objectives day to day. Work culture is very professional. Fully commissioned paid job.
Too Long Ago to Say
Information Security Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 15, 2018
It's been too long since I worked at Northwestern Mutual to fairly assess what it's currently like to work there. The best I can say is that employees are generally satisfied.
Pros
Unknown
Cons
Unknown
Very good company
Intern (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 14, 2018
Great experience during my summer here, learned a lot. The experienced people in the company are very willing to teach and help grow the young employees.
It was a good overall place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 14, 2018
It was a good overall place to work. Benefits are very good, and the culture has changed for the better. Upper management could communicate and motivate staff better.
Great Opportunity
FINANCIAL ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 14, 2018
You’ll get out of it what you put into it.
If you want to pursue being an advisor for them, they give you every resource and opportunity to succeed.
Can get better
Technology Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 14, 2018
They need to focus a little bit more on what systems and applications need to be upgraded to help the technology coordinators in the field. There is room for growth, but they relay on a failed system to chooses if you succeed and not on hard work and success.
Pros
good place to work and watch technology grow
Cons
not enough support for Home Office employees
Workplace was fun and educational
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 13, 2018
It was a good learning experience for an office job. It allowed me to get my insurance license, and learn about this type of industry. It showed me what it would take to perform in a commission based job. It allowed me to determine the path to take in job hunting.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.6

2.7Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight