Northwestern Mutual

Found 46 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,648 reviews

Northwestern Mutual insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

You're really working for the agent, not a Northwestern Mutual employee

Northwestern Mutual is a good company, but when you work for an agent, you work for him/her. Though we all office together, there is no sense of common goals.

Very Good place to work as a beginner. They give Fair time off. Good working environment. Truly car about their employees. Great benefits in place for employees.

Pros

People are nice. Good work life balance

Stress

Very uncomfortable work environment, at this location at least. Not a good fit for most personalities. Work to compensation ratio is poor. I was also very uncomfortable with the ultra right wing Christian attitude and the pressure to join bible study meetings. The pressure to always upgrade your wardrobe (Must wear a suit and tie every day) was stressful and it's really a phone boiler room in the mornings. Too many meetings and coaching from high pressure sales types. You pay for a lot of your own marketing and there are few fringe benefits. There's a reason they have an 11% retention rate for Financial Representatives. If you don't already have your Series 6, Series 7 or Series 66 licenses, don't bother with this place.

Unbelievable Company for those that can do it

Really tough to get established in the insurance game, but if you are able to do it, there's no better role for making money and setting your own schedule. Northwestern Mutual is a solid credible company that makes it easier than anyone else to do so.

Pros

Credible, Secure

Cons

Mixes work and play

Commision

Great people, not the best compensation structure. It was closer to being an independent broker rather than part of a team when it came to office life. The sales team was very competitive.

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

I really enjoyed my experience

Working for Northwestern Mutual was a breath of fresh air. It was free from the typical corporate structure. Financial Representatives were given the proper tools and freedom to work however they wanted, as long as you put all of your effort into it. If you took the tools they gave you and utilized them properly, the sky is the limit.

Pros

Freedom of schedule, a lof of learning opportunities, good environment

Cons

no morality and poor treatment of employees. I would not recommend working here. It is a revolving door with a lack of support from management. employees usually last a year or less.

Intern

Very flexible schedule, have to make deals to make money. Great management to work with and the balance between work and free time is great. Would recommend if looking to be a financial advisor.

Great culture to work in

Best opportunity given to me so far! Leadership really cares for your concerns and wants to help in anyway possible. Hardest part of the Job is Being new in the Industry and making enough money to survive.

Role- Financial Representative

Northwestern Mutual Dallas-as a Financial Representative a typical day is you making phone calls and scheduling meetings (as many meeting you can possibly fill your schedule with, knowing 50% will not meet). If you can constantly stay on the phone and call people to schedule appointments you will do well in this career! The job in itself is great because you have a flexible work schedule, but also with a flexible work schedule means if you do not work you are not getting paid. You are your own business owner and you are responsible to take care of everything as far as expenses go etc. (meeting with clients/taking them for meals, all health insurance/hiring staff). The workplace culture is definitely competitive everybody wants to make money. If you are not bringing in business (high net worth people) do not expect to have friends. I also say in this role culture does not even matter. The business teaches you resilience and builds character because of all the rejection you are getting constantly. Although the career is a rotating door it is extremely rewarding 20 years looking forward because you will have residuals. The hardest part of the job is making ends meet at the earlier stages, do not forget you are 100% COMMISSION. If you do not come from a wealthy family that can support you financially or a spouse that can cover expenses until you get the boat to float you will sink for sure in this career. I learned what it truly meant to be a business owner (the long hours, the rejection disbelief from family & friends, the fake corporate relationships- do not focus on management -

Great Place

I worked in a support position. The managers and other co-workers were great and very helpful. I had a great time and enjoyed working there very much.

Pros

Great training and great management

Cons

Really don't have any

Great Internship

Calling for financial planning for individuals. Hard work is key to being successful. I enjoy controlling my own practice and striving to be better every day.

Northwestern Mutual Dallas

The people and environment were incredible. I was challenged while encouraged. I grew in many areas. Although I knew I didn't want to go into business, working here made me reconsider.

Great work place culture and beliefs. The career itself is the toughest in the industry.

I cannot say one bad thing about this company. They care for their representatives, their staff, and each and every client the are able to help and the ones that they cannot.

Pros

Exclusive company with strong morals.

Cons

The compliance seems to over complicate individual practice building.

Wouldn't work there

By far the worst leadership in any business I've ever worked for. Not just saying that to be malicious. It was a free for all, and no guidance. There was just a vibe of "I'm above you" mentality.

Pros

Learned on my own

Cons

Poor Leadership

Associate Representative

The Dallas office is friendly and helpful. The home office gives support and training. Licensed individuals may receive classroom continuing education free of charge.

Cons

Healthcare is not available at this time.

Strong support; Premier Firm

At NM in Dallas you will undoubtedly have a strong support system through training and one on one development. You will also have access to the premier products and services in the industry.

Good leadership, with advancement opportunity.

Northwestern Mutual was a strong company, that had good upper level leadership. I found that the culture was not aligned with my strengths, and decided that I wanted to work somewhere that valued innovation and creativity.

Pros

Training

Cons

Limited accountability

Terrible

I did not like northwestern mutual. i did not like working there. the people we're only interested in making money and pushing expensive whole like insurance policies.

Internship - not career

This was just an internship and quickly realized its not a place I wanted to work at. Selling life insurance can be a shady job that manipulates young people to essentially hand over their family contacts the older reps so they can soicate them

Good people, not up to date pay scale

Good people, work environment is very nice. Work load is very heavy, can be quite stressful. Job is very varied, customer service interactions can be good and bad as with any position.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.3K
1.1K

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Northwestern Mutual.
Powered byComparably

Compare Northwestern Mutual with

Learn about Northwestern Mutual in Dallas, TX

• Northwestern Mutual
  • Dallas, TX
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?