Northwestern Mutual Employee Reviews

Found 2,790 reviews matching the search See all 2,801 reviews
Great place to work with a great company culture
Financial Representative Intern (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 17, 2019
As a young professional hungry to succeed, Northwestern Mutual really put me in a position to do my best in the financial services field. They invest a lot of time in giving you all the tools to be good at what you do.
Lipstick on a Pig
Product Analyst (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 17, 2019
All professional organizations, like people, have their flaws and shortcomings. However, as with any relationship, once you observe red flags you should take a moment to review and evaluate. Northwestern Mutual looked great on the outside and does have some 'nice' perks/attributes, however internally; above normal politics and bureaucracy, poor cross-group communication, few or non-existent development processes/procedure in place, did I already mention poor cross-functional communication? And management team that, other than title, is non-existent. If senior management had a clue what's going on, they would literally have a cow... no offense to my Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, and Zoroastrianism friends. From a CMMI assessment, NM would be a level 1 (or below, if that were possible); Processes unpredictable, poorly controlled and reactive, unclear/undefined roles and responsibilities. Development is definitely in a state of contraction and turnover high.
Challenging but worth every second
Associate Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INJuly 17, 2019
This was the most difficult job I've ever had. Also the most fun. To be able to manage many tasks at once and also have some leadership authority was the best feeling.
Great environment
Specialized Technical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Franklin, WIJuly 17, 2019
I am a contractor there so I don't get the full benefits but even being a contractor the people are great and the environment is very relaxed so you are stressing out about meeting deadlines as much. Obviously you still need to get the job done but they are very flexible with hours as well.
Great work culture and environment, autonomous, no cap on commission, difficult starting out and better for experienced people.
Financial Representative Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 17, 2019
Great place to work at but tailored more towards experienced planners. More like a sales job than anything but you run your own business basically. I did the internship as a financial representative and had to start with my warm market (friends and family) but found it difficult to sell to them and get more referrals. Better to start with people you don't know if you can.
Great work environment and flexible hours..
Associate Wealth Management Advisor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 16, 2019
Great company with superior products and service. They really take the time to get to know their clients to help secure their financial well being. Highly recommend to anyone who is entrepreneurial and hard working.
A typical day at work
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 15, 2019
You begin each day making at least 30 phone calls trying to schedule appointments. Be prepared to call a lot. Next you will go on your appointments with higher level associates to help you learn the business.
Very Entrepreneurial
Financial Representative - Internship (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIJuly 15, 2019
This is a sales-commission oriented role. Although the work is truly important and allows you to add actual value to your clients. I would recommend this career path to someone who has experienced a lot of life. For example; bought a home, started a business or planned for a family. Having these life experiences allow you to connect with your future clients, pulling at their heart strings.
productive and fertile for entrepreneurship
Director of Development (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJuly 15, 2019
Still has a long road to travel in the area of promoting women, and other diverse groups. however, still has opportunity for an amazing people to grow if they have the support needed to make it happen.
Best suited for out of college
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Decorah, IAJuly 14, 2019
It is tricky for a single parent to have work life balance. Training is good for those already familiar with the financial sales industry or interns converting.
Hard work, exciting, always learning
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 13, 2019
Make calls, set meetings, find about prospects situation, inform people on different retirement accounts, taxes, answer questions, schedule, reschedule, reschedule, reschedule, cancel. Build financial plans using pretty cool software. Close a case!
Keep repeating!
I'm in a big office, so the training is great! Good people to work with.
Hardest part is calling old not very close friends and family. Once you get past that, it's much easier.
Great Company to Work
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 12, 2019
Great training, outstanding prospecting skills. Difficult to get started with 100% commission from day one. Best practice is to have about 6 months of income saved to get through the pains of building the business.
Relaxed work environment to focus on your own business
Financial Representative Intern (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYJuly 11, 2019
Make your calls daily
Learn great communication skills
Loose management if you are working, you're your own boss
Fun, relaxed culture
Maintaining focus can be tough, persevere through constant rejection
Very flexible work schedule.
Hard to get into
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 10, 2019
Hard to get into. They are going through a lot of transition right now. Your experience will greatly depend on who you work for - like most companies.
great place to grow a great career
Financial advisor (Former Employee) –  grand rapids, MIJuly 9, 2019
Phenomenal company with some of, if not, the best insurance products on the market. You will work extremely hard your first several years but if you have what it takes will be extremely happy with the end result. Its a people business. Make sure you're able to effectively interact with multiple personality types and don't quit on a bad day. You will have them. It is a phenomenal feeling to impact peoples lives financially. Also, if you want to take off early on friday or not come in at all, you can do whatever you want. your success is ultimately up to you. Phenomenal company to work for.
Enjoyed my time
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WAJuly 8, 2019
I really enjoyed my time at this company. The company provided a good work life balance. I was very happy during my time there. I learned a lot about finance and life insurance.
Cold Calling Family and Friends
Financial Representative Intern (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJuly 8, 2019
I interviewed for a position as an intern and it turns out that the internship is just trying to get college students to see insurance to their friends and family members while receiving a small cut of the sales. Pyramid scheme. I expected better, but students, don't waste your time.
Great Place to work
Associate Wealth Management Advisor (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAJuly 8, 2019
The different advisors I worked for were flexible with my schedule since I had kids. I learned a lot from the different conferences I went to and enjoyed working with other associates
great office space
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 8, 2019
This company has great office space. It is staffed with great people and the coffee machine is very helpful to get through most days. They also are always planning events as a company because they are often working independently.
Great learning environment for students straight out of college
Associate Wealth Management Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 8, 2019
Learned how to do things on the job straight out of college. It was an experience like none other. I would recommend my position to anyone looking to learn more about finance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP10%
In the Top 10% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Northwestern Mutual.

Powered by Comparably