Northwestern University Employee Reviews

great place to work
Grounds Crewman (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILDecember 10, 2018
An excellent place to work
great people
great management
decent pay
hours and heavy lifting were the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part was the people I worked with
Competitive graduate school with poor management
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 8, 2018
High-caliber research in a cutting-edge laboratory setting is offset by poorly managed administrative departments and reluctant support of its graduate students. Professors receive no training on how to manage people for maximum productivity and skill cultivation, and it shows in many cases.
Pros
Flexible work hours, exciting work, intelligent coworkers
Cons
Long work hours, poor management, high-stress
Normal University
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 4, 2018
I was on the Chicago campus so I can't say anything about the main campus in Evanston. I've only been there a few times. The downtown campus is nice but there is currently construction on a new building for research that should be complete in the summer of 2019. It's great if you commute by bus or train but very difficult if you try to drive. There are affordable restaurants in the Hospital and in the surrounding area. It's also very close to the lake.
Pros
great area
Cons
busy area
High Stress Environment
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILDecember 1, 2018
I worked as a contractor for NWM ER as a Registrar/PAS. The management over this team is HORRIBLE. Lack of communication, lack of leadership, over all just lack of skill. Nothing but stress, gossip and confusion working there. I would not recommend anyone to work there as a PSR/PAS or Registrar.
I did enjoy working in the ER. its fast paced and every night it was something different. The 3rd shift ER staff (Doctors and Nurses are great)
Pros
Great ER Staff on 3rd shift
Cons
understaffed and overworked.
Northwestern
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 15, 2018
I was a Teaching Assistant for Northwestern for 1 semester. I .assisted the instructor with project work etc. during class. It was a great environment to work in and I enjoyed helping the students
Pros
Helping students
Online Learning Opportunities for Gifted High School Students
Online Spanish Instructor (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILNovember 12, 2018
An online curriculum of AP and other advanced and challenging courses for gifted students. Students from all over the United States enrolled in a variety of quality courses.
Pros
Great curriulum and technology
Cons
Obsessive parent involvement
Must be young and driven, have degrees from "name" schools. Communication is a problem.
Senior Technical Writer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILNovember 10, 2018
They strive for perfection - yours, not theirs. Contract employees are not included in the information loop. I also learned to not trust embedded management systems nor managers who will not give you the full honest picture: You need to be 25 years of age, a recent PhD graduate with multiple publications, and with outstanding secretarial skills.
Pros
Free coffee.
Cons
SMEs not available when needed.
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 7, 2018
Northwestern University is a good place to work. I loved working in the research department and it was a very friendly atmosphere. Excellent staff on hand.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Short Breaks
Excellent work environment.
Adjunct Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILNovember 1, 2018
As an adjunct professor I found the staff and support staff extremely reliable and helpful. One of the best teaching gigs I've had.

I highly recommend working there.
Pros
Access to software
Cons
no benefits
very good place for research
Postdoc fellow (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2018
PI provides excellent direction and instruction.
colleagues were very helpful and friendly.
You just need to focus on your projects.
Very good research environment,
Strong leaders and great culture!
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 25, 2018
Northwestern has a great culture that is collaborative, inclusive and challenges all stakeholders to do their best work. The leaders are amazing and genuine people and the culture is strong and wonderful to be apart of.
Pros
Inclusive culture
Cons
This is a great institution to work for.
Senior Marketing Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 17, 2018
Northwestern is a great place to start and continue your career. You are surrounded by many professionals that have drive. The culture is more of a "come to work, get it done, go home." This can depend on the department, but it's overall the same. Some room for advancement.
Great Place to work, but some schools are limiting
Administrative Assistant/Website Manager (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 16, 2018
NU can be a great place to work, but is depandent on which school you work in. Avoid at all costs McCormick School of Engineering. It has a very outdated business model, where it is all top-down. There is hardly any room to advance within the school, must look for opportunities outside of the school. Dealing with faculty can be challenging.
Pros
Plenty of vacation time, great healthcare
Cons
lower pay than average, dealing with challenging personalities, lots of interruptions to work
Northwestern University opened the doors wide
Research Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 12, 2018
Working for Northwestern University was an enriching experience. Everything around was inspiring - the minds and the resources were abundant. Professors, students, administration all work hand in hand to enrich our world. Thank you.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 9, 2018
Worked as a Research Assistant in Undergraduate Lab. Great experience to academic research environment and to complement what I learned in the classroom
Terrific faculty, staff and students
Freshman Program Coordinator, Engineering (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 2, 2018
Over the course of 19 years I had several different positions at Northwestern. It was in the above position, working with students, supervised by amazingly caring, supportive deans in the McCormick School of Engineering, where I discovered my passion.

But whether supporting the University through secretarial/administrative skills, or by working in a supportive capacity with students, I found working at Northwestern to be extremely rewarding.
Great Work Enviornment
Financial Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 1, 2018
The University has several departments and I can only speak on the two that I've had the pleasure to work in. There's a lot of flexibility and room to grow.

You are given the opportunity to be in charge of your career decisions.
Highly competitive
SOP COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 25, 2018
They provide in-house training and work/life counseling. Benefits are varied and affordable. Mentor program available for women. Other after-work activities as well.
Pros
employee recognition
Cons
short lunch breaks
Nice environment and good work/life balance
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILSeptember 19, 2018
For scientific research, Northwestern has a collaborative culture. The indoor working environment is nice, and the outdoor view is a plus. I have so far enjoyed a good work/life balance.
Theatre Box Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILSeptember 10, 2018
I was an undergrad there. When I decided to return after a few years for a master's I also applied for a position and got one. That helped pay for my tuition. It's a great working environment. Everybody is focused on education, that's cool.
Pros
tuition reimbursement, great environment, great people
Cons
pay is so-so