Norton Community Hospital Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
The job was stressful but rewarding.
ER SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Norton, VAMarch 4, 2018
My position in the ER was ER Secretary. This required me to wear many different hats. The medical field and helping people has always been a passion of mine and here I was able to do both.
Good job
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norton, VAFebruary 24, 2018
Great! Still working at my job. I would to have more money at the job that i do. I love taking care of patients and i have freat co workers

I am wanting to get a part time job.
Pros
Taking care if patients
Cons
Short breaks
Horrible Place
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Norton, VAOctober 18, 2017
Understaffed in an understatement and coworkers who refused to help regardless of how busy we were. I left because I was told they would no longer work with my college schedule to become a nurse. So they lose a phlebotomist immediately and at the same time lost a up and coming RN. Very cut throat in upper management. It is a shame that a hospital would not work with someone becoming a nurse. That would have been a wonderful addition to the company. Many great people work there or use to work there, because they have lost people left and right for not trying to do the right thing. Yes it is a business but if employees are treated right then everything would work perfectly.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Upper Management is horrible
recommendation
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Norton, VAOctober 2, 2017
This was a good job. I just was not trained properly. They need to work on their training program other than that I would still recommend this pace to my friends
some good people
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Norton, VASeptember 18, 2017
(utility worker)
the management in the department I worked in was not very good. always after young females, and always hiring young females.
would not recommend working in this department to anyone. the other people working in the other departments was very helpful and nice kudos to all of them.
Beware stay away EVS unless you like being harassed....
Pros
some good people
Cons
mangament
Good environment and enjoyable company
Coder (Current Employee) –  Norton, VA 24273August 1, 2017
The hospital is a good environment to work for. However, there can be some gaps and miscommunication amongst co-workers and/or management. The environment is friendly and usually always find someone that is willing to help anyone they can.
Pros
Annual Encentive (if goals are met)
Cons
Company merger approaching
fun place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Norton, VAJune 26, 2017
This company had poor management. My supervisor at the time i was employed was very hard to work for. She was unfair with scheduling. Very disorganinzed.
Pros
fun
Cons
scheduling
I have been with NCH from the day I graduated college. They have taught me many things, good and bad.
Phlebotomy Technician (Current Employee) –  The main hospital area.January 7, 2017
When I started at NCH I was so full of excitement. Wanting to learn all that I could. I was lucky enough to be on night shift with a very good teacher . Patty was willing to answer every question I had. The nursing staff was the same. I wanted to know everything. The best part of NCH is the emergency room. I love to go there and see what's coming through the door next, I love the excitement and the crazy buzzy environment.
I have been there so long I have watched good friends go on to be supervisors and move up. I don't think that I can move in my current position. I don't want to get burned out on health care. I feel I really have a talent for this. I have trained well over 100 students and that gives me pride. I need more from my work, and like most I need a pay increase. The new girl makes what I do and that's good for her but I have invested 15 years of my life to the company.
ok place to work
Patient Registration (Former Employee) –  Norton, VAJuly 1, 2016
This is a decent place to work. It does have a high turnover rate. they dont always treat employees fairly but that is everywhere.
Customer Service learning experience
Ward Secretary or ward clerk (Former Employee) –  Norton, VAMarch 24, 2016
Hard but rewarding work. I had the privilege to work with doctors, nurses, and case managers. I answered multiple calls a day, had to be able to multitask on the computer and away from the computer desk. I admitted and worked up the patient that came to the department/ward from the admissions and ER. I started there folder for the doctor on call. I then let the nurses know of the patient after I called or paged and the doctor know. I eventually was moved to another desk which I along got the advancement to work alone. I did the same thing but trained new incomers in my field of work.
Pros
worked with doctors nurses and case managers
Cons
had to leave when my second child was born.
Very lively, energic, place to work.
Registered Nurse in OR (Former Employee) –  Norton, VAAugust 9, 2015
I worked at NCH in surgery
A typical day at work was usually busy and fast paced. The department I worked in was a very close knit, my co workers were always helpful and supportive. We were treated with respect and professionalism was a priority. The care we gave our clients was always on the highest level. The hardest part of the job was being on call after working all day. My immediate supervisor was easy to access and open to suggestions.
The most enjoyable part of the job was my co workers and the general atmosphere of my department.
Cons
On call.
Job Review
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Norton VAJuly 13, 2015
I handle everything at the desk. this is my ideal job. I answer the phones and take care all the paper work.///......//////
Loved my job!
ER/Outpatient Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Norton, VAOctober 14, 2014
Norton Community Hospital had great benefits and I loved working with the patients! Overall great job!
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Night shift
Job was ok
Emergency Room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Norton, VAFebruary 2, 2014
Worked night shift. Did not see many other people I liked the benefits. I probably would have stayed at this job if I could have been moved from night shift.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Night Shift
Always learning from Resident Doctors.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Norton, VAApril 24, 2013
This hospital was a teaching facitily for Resident Doctors. They were, for the most part, as eager to teach as they were to learn. I can honestly say I came out a better Nurse for the knowledge I gained from them. Also, I was a Preceptor for new graduate nurses. I loved the opportunity to teach them everything that I knew, and even learned some knew techniques from them. This hospital really gave me a jump start in my career.
Pros
luncheons, continuing education credits
Cons
never knowing if you were going to be pulled to a different floor to work each night you came in.
Productive, Educational
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Norton, VAApril 19, 2013
As my first job fresh out of nursing school, I, of course, started out with a preceptor. I had a fantastic instructor in school, so I was well prepared starting out, but learned even more as my career advanced. By the time I left, I was a preceptor myself. This hospital was a teaching facility for Resident Dr's and it is amazing what you were able to learn as they learned. I met some great people (both patients, Dr's and fellow nurses) at this facility.
Pros
many luncheons, teaching facility
Cons
never knew if you were going to be pulled to work a different unit each day
Not bad
Team member (Current Employee) –  Norton, VAApril 3, 2013
Not a bad place to work, overtime hours offered but not guaranteed, is a unionized workplace where seniority means everything.
Cons
not guaranteed lunch breaks if patient influx is too high, management doesn't respond to any complaints
Norton Community is a wonderful place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Norton, VADecember 18, 2012
I have decided to retire from Norton Community Hospital in January 2013.

I have not yet really decided if I want to take another job at present, however some of the companies in this area have worked with BioMetrics and recommended I check your web-site.

Norton Community is a wonderful place to work. I have been there going on 27 years. Everyone is friendly and willing to help when ever the need arises.
Very enjoyable place to be a part of.
Student Internship (Former Employee) –  Norton, VAMay 10, 2012
My clinical experience at Norton Community Hospital was an intership. I learned many things while there, such as gained experience with portable x-ray machine and in fluoroscopy, and also had experience with c-arm in surgery.