Norton Sound Health Corporation Employee Reviews

Productive and Fun
COMMUNITY HEALTH AIDE (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKDecember 16, 2018
Work as a health aide in rural Alaska gives you the opportunity to help people and provide basic medical treatment and chance to excel at work by going to trainings.
good
Travel Nurse - Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKNovember 20, 2018
Norton Health Sound was a great company to work for. I was a travel nurse and learned so much and the environment was great. Worked on med sure and had more than ample opportunity to learn new things.
The VERY BEST location I ever worked
Travel Nurse (Former Employee) –  Nome, AK 99762September 5, 2018
This was the very best travel assignment I ever worked at.The outpatient clinic is a combination doctor’s office, urgent care center; occupational health, pain management clinic, pediatric clinic, and an ER overflow. Under the care of the PA, NP or MD, I did what was needed to assist the provider, including wound care, immunizations assisting with minor procedures not requiring general anesthetic, plus applying and removing orthopedic splints and casts. The average patient load was in excess of 70 patients per day. This was a 3 short month contract where I enjoyed working as a traveling nurse. T
Pros
The Location, the people, my coworkers, and the Magement
Cons
NONE AT ALL except at the end of my assignment, I was out of the VERY BEST job I ever had
Was a great place to work
OPTOMETRIC EXTERN (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKAugust 13, 2018
Worked in the eyecare clinic as an intern. Staff was professional and easy to work with. Management was open to suggestions and pushed staff to be their best.
Pros
Great lunch room
Cons
It takes a special person to live in Nome, Alaska
Very reliable work place.
Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKJuly 16, 2018
The employees are friendly and outgoing. There is a strong bond held together for employment. The environment is friendly and open. They cover great diversity.
Productive workplace
Clinician II (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKJune 20, 2018
I enjoyed working at Norton Sound Health Corp in the Behavioral Health Department. I felt supported and well compensated for my services. My work was respected and appreciated and I was able to be flexible with my schedule sometimes.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Weather conditions
Too Far From Home
Medical Billing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKApril 12, 2018
Moved to Alaska to work at hospital. Too far from home and family. Cost of living was high and salary did not meet needs of my family. Culture was too difficult for my children.
Pros
New experience
Cons
Too far away from family
The only pharmacy that was inpatient, outpatient, and retail in the same building
Certified Pharmacy Technician/Pharmacy Manager (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKMarch 7, 2018
If you didn't know something, someone would teach you or there was a manual to show step by step on how to do it. 7 hours of vacation time with each paycheck that you could use or cash out. They matched more on your 401K than any other company that I have ever worked for. Great leadership. Great training. And all the overtime that you want. And great pay. Travel and lodging was amazing, and any certifications that you want the hospital would pay for you to fly to Anchorage, hotel, rental car, and certification fees.
Pros
Time went by so fast every day
Cons
It was in bush Alaska
Make the Most Of It
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKMarch 4, 2018
NSHC is located in a town of 4,000 people in a remote area of Alaska. Work was difficult at times due to the lack of resources that were available in town. The environment is difficult due to the isolation, which makes work difficult. You have to make the most of it if you are new to town. The benefits and pay are amazing. You'll never have it that easy anywhere else in the USA. Take what you can get and make the most of it.
Best employer in Nome.
Medical Coder (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKFebruary 9, 2018
Good place to work. Not much to complain about. Some departments that are supposed to cooperate like to blame each other for problems, and some people that are tough to work with get leeway for their nastiness because the do a lot of work.

But still, a great place to work.
Hard working
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKJanuary 21, 2018
The job is good, there is a lot to do when you are a CNA. There were sometimes I couldn't get help with my patients, with my height and strength it was hard to get by.
Pros
Cheerful area
Cons
Barely help
Maintenance Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKJanuary 11, 2018
Loved it ,miss it, going back !
Great job wish I never left.
Lots of good jobs. Great people great tools and equipment, lots of training opportunities, work travel, paid .
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
Remote location
Admitting Clerk
Admitting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKNovember 6, 2017
As much as I enjoyed working at this hospital, I had to find another job, because I was working too much. There were times I got 2-3 days off a month. The pay was great, but I moved to Nome to be with my dad who was in a nursing home at the time and I was working too much and I wasn't spending time with him at all any morel, so I had to find another job.
management needs work, unfair practices
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Nome, AKAugust 6, 2017
Unfair practices regarding work with permanent staff and travelers. Travelers are catered to and its unfair for full time staff. Love the patients and many of my coworkers.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Back stabbing management
Quite the experience
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKAugust 3, 2017
People I worked with were fun to hang around and the patients, well most of them, were nice and respectful. The providers were very good at their jobs and were demanding at times. Kept me busy.
One of the VERY BEST hospitals I have ever worked at
Traveling LPN (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKApril 18, 2017
On a typical day you went to work with some of the very best staff you could ever work with. You got to help 60-70 very nice local people with their needs, If you needed help with something the other GREAT STAFF would do all they would to assist you and teach you what you needed to learn in a very friendly way.
Pros
Great staff, Great management
Cons
none at all
Questionable Interview Process
FM (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKMarch 26, 2017
There interview process is amateur at best. They have no idea what they want or how to find good talent. Would recommend looking elsewhere. Not an ideal place of work.
Pros
Cons
Unquallified leadership, harsh conditions
worst employers
Patient Accounts Representative (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKFebruary 25, 2017
There is so much bureaucracy in this hospital, and so much preferential treatment given to Native Eskimos, even if they are less qualified for a position than another. Worst place to work
Workplace is good for compensation
Clinical Associate (Former Employee) –  Behavioral Health ServicesOctober 31, 2016
It was a difficult position for this writer due to understaffing and lack of resources to help clients. There was no written rule book or blueprint to follow on the job. The position requires that the individual is highly flexible and composed under shifting circumstances. Administrative management was wonderful as personalities, sensible, and were team players in this writer's opinion. Coworkers were stressed due to understaffing. Hardest part was working with people who never wanted or were able to find recovery and wellness for themselves, as is the case across the board for substance abuse. Best part of the job was that it sure did build character in me and paid me out the nose.
Pros
Wonderful compensation
Cons
Understaffed, no blueprint for the job (good and bad)
Pharmacy Technician/Vaccine Coordinator
Pharmacy Technician/Vaccine Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKJanuary 3, 2016
Beautiful bush hospital working with diverse population. 16 village clinics and hospital departments.Collected and reported statistical data for the CDC, State and Federal divisions in an organized fashion.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Norton Sound Health Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

Norton Sound Health Corporation Reviews by Location