Norwegian Cruise Line Employee Reviews

Found 907 reviews matching the search See all 1,014 reviews
productive and fun work place
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Europe for the summer caribbean for the winterOctober 13, 2018
a typical day at work you wake up in the morning depending of if there is an usph inspection you wake a bit earlier otherwise your time is 6:30 am check the breakfast operation then go to the office check the emails then have a briefing with the sous chefs after that take a walk through with my production sous chef in the storeroom to check the dairy and fresh fruits produce after that that check the f&b director if he has any info for me then i check the butchery to take a look at the meat and fish specs to ensure that they are being followed then i go to the crew kitchen and make sure that the crew food is being prepared in the correct manner and as per the specified recipes and take a look at the lunch preperation if there is a lunch in the MDR otherwise i check the prep for the buffet whuch has lunch dispite we are in port or noy then make sure the buffet opens on time and do the tastings in the buffet area as well with the buffet sous chef be around in the buffet and then go back to the office to take care of any office work or answer any emails from the head office or approve any internal requisitions for the head of stations then i take a break and come back for tasting and check the afternoon snacks then at 4:30 go for the main dinning romm food tasting with the main galley team and f&b director
Pros
good life and amenities for the crew
Cons
if it gets more busy than expected you will have to extend your hours for that day
Excellent company to work with and encourge advancement.
Bar Manager and Bartender (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 12, 2018
-Busy on embarkation and slow while in port.
-Wine training mixology class and bar/restauran seminar in Las Vegas
-Management is given full authority to run hisnouwn department
-Free Style and good camaraderie among all employees
- hardest part of the job is to deal with difficult guest
-the most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity to visit different places
Pros
Free board and lodging/free Uniform
Cons
Long hours at embarkation and limited benefits to employees.
Great opportunity if your single
Server (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 10, 2018
Great place to work. Travel opportunities are awesome, especially if your single. You get to see at least 4 to 5 of Hawaiian Islands every week. Work is hard and constant, but worth it.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Work everyday, 15 hours, 5 months straight
Productive and Fun workplace
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  USAOctober 9, 2018
typical day at work (landbase) gather all the delivered item for mise en place, make some enough preparation for today.
what i learned in all my culinary days is presentation, food cost, and organize.
hardest part of my job is working in cruiseship but you will learned how to manage your time and food item to be use in 11days cruise.
most enjoyable part of the job is working with different nationalities this time you will there style and understanding of cooking and same goes to me share with ideas
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Long Hours
Positives and Negatives
Utility Galley-Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 9, 2018
The company is a good one, however for the specific ship I was on.... it was worse than high school. Everyone talked about everyone else, gossiped, lied, etc. You have to make sure to keep your personal life private and guard what you told who and where.
If you rather not work 7 days per week then this type of job is not for you. There are and can be alot of benefits, like the wide veriety of friends you could make, the even wider variety of passengers to meet from all over the world, and spending time in Hawaii. The Captain's, Staff Captain's, and other high ranking officers are all great people.
Fantastic experience
Customer Service - Bar Waitress / Steward (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 5, 2018
Was a fantastic, life changing experience. I wish that I had been 15 years younger. However, I enjoyed every moment of it. Met some amazing friends that have become close family to me. Travel was amazing. You learn to work closely with others and learn respect towards the people you work with. I highly recommend this experience.
fun and exciting place to work
Restaurant Steward, and Head Waiter (Former Employee) –  HawaiiOctober 2, 2018
As a Waiter at NCL it has helped me to become more professional in my position.Getting there was a challenge but it was well worth it.Travel for free!! The best job I've ever had.
Pros
Free room and board, free meals.
Cons
No off days for 5 to 8 months.
Great for self-development
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Ship basedSeptember 27, 2018
It was my first job after graduating from university, and it was definitely an eye opening one. Thanks to the nature of the job, I felt like I was polished in the service industry, now I am confident to say that I can handle complicated and stressful situations better. On the job we have to learn to deal with challenging issues, ad hoc duties, long hours, high demands from passengers and so on. It also trains you in multitasking and teach you values that will follow you through your career. Depending on which ship you are on, usually the larger ships are more stressful as pax count is high and the desk tends to get busy with long lines. Management wise, most of them are nice but certain company policies are hindering well-deserving employees from progressing. Opportunities are present but it takes a long time to climb up that ladder.
Pros
fast paced, challenging environment good for career advancement
Cons
Temporary promotion; unattractive compensation and benefit
Crew gym crewbar Internet cafe game room
Assistant Maitre D (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 27, 2018
Broken time and no day off was not easy to employee but I learned regarding safety on board and proper cleaning regarding USPH regulation but the management was not fair enough to employee,work place culture no matter nationalities were respect others ,the hardest part of the job during peak hours and general cleaning,the most enjoyable part of the job during pay day .
Pros
Free food and accommodation
Cons
Short break and free medical
Team environment with a caring management group
Concierge Desk Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 25, 2018
I would recommend NCL to anyone that wants to develop a professional career where they are cared for and rewarded accordingly . Expect a long and fruitful frendshi
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Tightened up my sales skill
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 24, 2018
Definitely took my customer service and sales skills to a whole other level. They do help you with learning the material before working on the floor. Great money to be made, just sometimes the goals they want for the month are unrealistic.
Make great money but you are treated horribly
Personal Cruise Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, FLSeptember 19, 2018
Not a place I would refer anyone to. there is no work life balance what so ever, the company illigelly forces you to work overtime or as I was told by my supervisor I give btter leads to the agents that work both their days off when I just wanted to take one of m. You are treated as a number and are talked to like a kid by upper management. But you can make great money that no lie that's if you don't care how your treated.
Pros
Great pay after your first year if you put in the time, great benefits
Cons
Forced overtime, Poor Team leadership, no compassion
cruise line
Vacation Planner (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 18, 2018
answering calls from both travel angecys and direct guest. answering whatever questions they had along with making payments if needed for the booking.
good first job
Assistant Cook (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 12, 2018
not bad however you put a ton of money up front and don't get it back
it does take time for the process start to date you fly to ship
between twic and applying for MMC from coast guard
Pros
free uniforms
Cons
long contracts 5-6 months on 5 weeks off unpaid
ambiente de trabajo divertido
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 12, 2018
Extensas horas de trabajo con mas de 60 nacionalidades a bordo de un crucero, sin fines de semana durante 6 meses, asi como suena una de las mejores experiencias que me toco vivir!
Pros
sueldo, recorrer el mundo, conocer diferentes culturas, aprendizaje
Cons
extensas horas de trabajo, no hay dias off
Good experience for young people
Bar Department (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 11, 2018
Working on a cruise ship was a good way to get to travel around Hawaii and see some of the sites. It by no means is a job for people who are looking to just skate bye. You will work 14 hour days and work throughout the day. Schedules are very crazy. I was part of the bar department serving cocktails. But that was not all there was to the position. You are the first line of defense should an emergency happen, I was in charge of a muster station for emergency drills, we also had to bring on stores in the mornings and wake up super early and go to bed late after the shows. There was also a lot of cleaning. It is a job for young people or people who don't have any attachments to things on land. (ie: family, driving a vehicle, etc.)
it is amazing and nice work in a team
waitress and teller (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 10, 2018
I love the ambience where you could attend to the people and extract their smile when they see its valuation with a beautiful figure, one of the things that I love to do in my labor ambience is the art latte. like that I can see them smiling and enjoy the coffee with taste and so they turn more continued to the place. my work place it is
Pros
yes it as a medical great
Cons
there aren t any day free
Personal Cruise Consultant
Cruise Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sawgrass, FLSeptember 10, 2018
Although i learned a lot from this company. The leads given were only to the Reps that the director new from Carnival. Very unfair and lots of favoritism. This job made my life miserable because many only the top 10 succeed. These top ten were spoon fed leads and the other 200 people on the floor starved. The leadership took care of their people and the rest had to fend for themselves. If you want to work 12 hours a day and have no life for a cruise discount. This is the place for you.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No life
Pride of america review for the restaurant area
Assistant Waiter (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 9, 2018
I can't speak for the company as a whole, I am reviewing one vessel that hires Americans, the Pride of America vessel and I am describing my experience as an Assistant Waiter only. Other jobs on board might be better, I can't tell you about anything other than the area I worked in. I would NOT RECOMMEND this boat for any position involving food service. You will work triple shifts often and you aren't making very good money even considering you are making overtime rates. Clearing $1100-$1400 every two weeks for 80 hour weeks is something you can do on land and then you also have a life that is your own. You are not going to see Hawaii, you will be working or you will be in some nonsensical training session that fritters away any free time you see on your schedule. Training, drills, working, cabin inspection, thrown new tasks and given no direction or help. Withering stares from unhelpful petty managers.... morale is low, money is low, opportunity to see the sights is low if you are in the food service area. You are issued ill fitting shoes, a uniform that contains no natural fibers that causes you to sweat and the uniform will cling to you in unpleaant ways.
Pros
The only thing I have been impressed with is the commitment to diversity, this company hires people over 50, teenagers, morbidly obese, every ethnicity you can imagine
Cons
pay, morale, advancement potential, management, ability to see the sights
Productive work enviornment
Casino Groups Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 5, 2018
A day at work can be very relaxing or highly stressful
I enhanced my people skills
The work culture was engaging
High call volumes at times
A great team
Pros
Fun company with some interesting travel benefits
Cons
Shot lunches, Upper management undervalues employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Norwegian Cruise Line. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight