Not Your Average Joe's Employee Reviews

Discount on food
Server (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJuly 25, 2018
Not your Average Joe's was a great place to work, worked with great team players,great location but being a new spot it took a will to make a name for it self. So I had to find some where closer to home.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Getting back home
could be great if they gave servers more than 3-4 tables
Server (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJuly 21, 2018
Coworkers are great, current mangers are also great. The issue is that they refuse to cut labor even when projected sales are low. on weekends, servers can get a 3 table section while some get 4-5. Its not fair that these servers have to stay there for at least 3 hours and hope to make $10/hr from tips due to overstaffing, and lets not forget that we still have to tip out after not making much money.. summertime is the hardest time to serve because everyone is away, especially in a wealthy area like Bethesda, and yet servers still get 3-4 table sections when it doesn't get busy.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
small table sections, can get very slow
ok
FOOD PREP/DISHWASHER (Former Employee) –  Seekonk, MAJuly 2, 2018
poor manangement, good hours and pay. lo0ts of customers, worked as dishwasher very hot without proper air conditioning. not very worker friendly. lots of drama
Pros
hours and pay
Cons
mangement
Great atmosphere, excellent food, and amazing employees
Server (Former Employee) –  Glen Mills, PAJune 22, 2018
I would always arrive early to ensure everything is where it needs to be. My managers were very easy going and only got on our backs if we weren't performing to our fullest potential. The hardest part of this job was up-selling certain things, but it wasn't impossible. I enjoyed the flexible schedule and trying new dishes that were added to the menu so as a team, we could fully describe them to our customers. I learned most about customer service and team building.
Difficult work environment with disproportionately low pay
Server (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAJune 16, 2018
The guests are average dining guests however business volume is low, which translates to less tips. The job culture is unpleasant and works on a quasi-system of seniority. The hardest part of the job is trying to get your teammates to do their share of the work.
Pros
food discounts
Cons
Unpleasant work team
Not your average work place
Lead Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Ardmore, PAJune 6, 2018
Not your average work place. Poorly managed. With no room for advancement. However very good menu and great service staff. Seasonal menus were great and very interesting.
Pros
Cons
Poor management
Vsry creative
Server (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAJune 5, 2018
This job was fun because the menu was always changing and I was always learning something new. It was an extremely high volume restaurant and would not stop until the doors closed
Mismanaged front of house yet very creative corporate staff
Bartender/Wine Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Newburyport, MAMay 28, 2018
Typical of a smaller chain. There is a corporate back bone to rely yet young managers are too often promoted up despite lack of skill or talent. Corporate staff seemed to be the creative brain of where to work as they did do a good job. Front of house management was lack luster.
Best job I ever had
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Arlington, MAMay 24, 2018
The managers and other staff members were so supportive and kind. The environment is so friendly and you really feel like a part of an incredible team. They understand emergencies and life struggles and try to work around them. Overall, best job I've ever had
Pros
Friendly staff, awesome discounts
Awesome company to work for!
Brand Ambassador, Certified Trainer, Bartender (Current Employee) –  VAMay 17, 2018
Still love working here! Friendly staff members, customers generally rock. Clean and safe work environment. I've worked here for 5 years, in every position except the kitchen, and it's been fantastic!
Productive and fun workplace
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAMay 16, 2018
I enjoyed being a hostess here. Management is awesome as they are always willing to help out employees and customers. It can be fast paced at times, but with the right learning experience it is made easy.
Pros
short hoursn
Cons
busy
great work-culture
Server (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAApril 18, 2018
NYAJ was a fantastic place to work, however, like many other companies/corporate entities, the higher-ups may not be the best-received. That being said, the managers and boh/foh staff were amazing and cared about their product and environment. Everyone gave 110% and wanted what was best for the restaurant, each other, and the guests who came in.

The shift would normally with (saying 'hi' to everybody/hugging your family) pre-meal: talking about new menu items, points of concern or praise, specials, wine, beer, general well-being of everyone. Most shifts were busy, always something to do--if not you, personally, there was always someone else to help.

Management was (for the most part) absolutely amazing. Everyone worked so hard for their staff. The best part was that management was really transparent and good about keeping their employees in the loop--about staff performances, new and exciting news, etc. If there was an issue, nothing was ever said by means of back-handed comments, or met with pettiness that one may hear about happening in other establishments.

I had nothing but positive experiences (looking back, of course. When anyone is in the weeds, or finds themselves burning out, things may definitely seem more negative at the time). Not Your Average Joe's is a place where if you treat the establishment, and all of it's working parts, well, they will take care of you (from what I noticed during my time there).
very good compnay
Director of Construction and Facilities (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAMarch 26, 2018
Not Your'e Average Joe's has a great concept with great product. Leadership is truly good. while it hit a small bump in the road in 2008 economy, it is rebounding well
I love this job!!!
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMarch 13, 2018
A typical day for a server that works at Not Your Average Joes consists of morning prep, cleaning your table section and waiting for customers to arrive. Once the customers arrive you greet them with bread/dip and water and begin to waitress or waiter to them. Similar things happen for a night shift only instead of morning prep, we do side work at the end of the shift. Side work includes cleaning silverware, refilling ketchups, slicing lemons and etc. My managers are always looking out for their employees. They yell at us sometimes, but only with reason mostly if we are slacking or lounging around. They only want what is best for us, which is to make good tips. The culture of Not Your Average Joes is great, everyone is really supportive of everyone and helpful when you need it.
great for young managers
General Manager (Former Employee) –  variousMarch 9, 2018
great for young managers to gain experience in all aspects of restaurant management. Very much a boys club- have to be willing to make a lot of sacrifices and be prepared to be micro managed all day. Culture is great!
Expect to be lied to.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Peabody, MAFebruary 14, 2018
Management here was unbelievably petty, after asking my chef to speak to me politely instead of singing songs about ticket times, my schedule was changed without notice. Twice I showed up to work and was told to go home. Went from 40 hours a week to the low 20s, management expressed no concern for this. 6 weeks of we'll fix it, we promise, but nothing ever gets done.
Cons
Weak management
Fun very nice people
Busser (Current Employee) –  Watertown, MAFebruary 10, 2018
Nice crew, very good managment, nobody slacks off unless there is nothing to do, oportunity to grow if you spend a year there. When you get to know the game of the servers they are like dogs with their tables.
High paced scratch kitchen
Line Cook Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAJanuary 29, 2018
Training process is terrible. No accountability for less than average workers. Only concerned about bottom line while not caring about their employees well being.
Dish washer
Dish Washer (Former Employee) –  Methuen, MAJanuary 23, 2018
Washing dishes in a fast pace restaurant was stressful. I was alone most of the time and ended up cutting myself daily. it was not enjoyable and I wont be working in restaurants anymore.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Have to cover other shifts
Bad
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Acton, MAJanuary 8, 2018
You can do better. Poor run company. Quality of life and management team very poor, especially Regional Managers.
Extremely cut throat on the store team.
Pros
Cons
worst quality of life ever

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Not Your Average Joe's. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.3

2.1Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight