NOV

United States2,508 reviews

Found 2,508 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,487 reviews
oilwelloilvarcooilfieldrigdrillingnationaldownturn

productive place to work

Great Training and patient staff. The field crews could have trained more than just reworking the plans as per previous layouts designs and typical locations.

Pros

Excellent People

Cons

Great people but has poor work/life balance

I work with some truly extraordinary people that take on the workload as best they can. Everyone is so overworked though with the increase in business since oil prices have went up. It is a fun place to work when staffed up but a very difficult one when not staffed.

Pros

Advancement opportunities, fun products to work on, always something new to do

Cons

Long hours, poor work/life balance, pay could be better for hourly employees

NOV insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Great Company!

I love working for NOV. I've been here for over 10 years and never stop learning. The people and culture are great, I've been able to advance, and I feel fully supported.

Pros

Bonus, when we get them

Cons

Oil and Gas is a cyclical industry and the downturns are always tough.

It is typical oil and gas work

It is typical oil and gas work, with long hours, and no appreciation. You may need to work more than 12 hours if they ask to work. Overall, the company is not good.

Pros

nothing

Cons

everything

Good people but ok pay

Great company to work for with good people but tend to be on the low side of the pay scale. The work day is simple on hours and management is easy about working around appointments and life events.

How many meetings?

How many meetings can you have in a day? We have out pre meeting meeting to go over what we will talk about in the meeting. Then the meeting. Then the post meeting meeting to discuss what happened during the meeting. Benefits are good, but that’s about it.

Sucks the joy and life out of you

There’s no air conditioning, the managers don’t care about their employees, overworked, underpaid, you get farmed out to other shops that you have no experience in and just overall not a good place to work

Pros

Case of water sometimes

Cons

No air conditioning, little effort to keep employees happy in environment

pay is the lowest compared with the market

Manager doesn't know how to manage people, but to work on the technical subjects. No training on the product lines, everyone keeps the knowledge to themselves and no sharing. Management wasn’t the best. Sometimes with some unrealistic dead lines it pressured us to finish on time no matter what. Stress can be high and starting pay is lower than industry average, and stock value is so low.

Pros

work less than 8 hrs per day

Cons

low pay

Use this company as experience only

I would not suggest trying to make a career out of this place, unless you're in the good ol boys club. Your own team will throw you under the bus, purposely not train you for their own job security, and you'll never get paid market value unless you get what you want upfront. Even if you did get what you want, you'll eventually find out industry standards are much higher, and your workload tends to ever increase but the pay does not. Management makes promises they do not intend to keep, such as promising a promotion if you take on more work. The promotions never come. They'll continue lying to you as long as you're willing to do the work, and if you're lucky you won't get laid off and walked out the door.

Pros

Learning O&G manufacturing equipment and processes

Cons

Low pay, toxic coworkers, empty promises, layoffs, constant change /reorgs

Corporate Ladders 🪜 for sale

I have to be truthful in my review. NOV is an excellent company to work with. If your given the chance to evolve within a career driven opportunity such as the production Control Supervisor position within NOV do yourself a favor and take it. It was the best thing I have ever been a part of. My work family has been a real part of my life and I don't think I could do anything elsewhere.

Overall great company

Great company but things got really bad during downturn and have not recovered quite yet. Good culture, but depends on the group you work with. Great people and good benefits. Average compensation.

Buyer/Planner

Best company and best group I’ve worked with so far. Chill environment, steady pay, bonuses aren’t great at all but work culture amazing along with office, whse, quality folks all together. Being on a good team can make the difference. Company has limited growth opportunities but can provide a good stable job if that’s what you want

Great Facility and personell at Orange. Unfortunately all manufacturing has moved to Texas

Great Facility and knowleable experienced personell at the Orange factory. Unfortunately all manufacturing has moved to Texas and Mexico. Only a satellite office remains in Orange. Oilfield Industry is fun and interesting but its cyclical nature makes employment very volatile

This place is a joke

Don’t waste your time. I can’t believe I wasted part of my life working for this place. If you’re not a manager or at the top, you’re getting nowhere at this dump

They have their issue's just like any other company. Overall a great place to work with great people.

hey have their issue's just like any other company. Overall a great place to work with great people. The state of art facility and parking garage at the coporate office is and big bonus. Great view of Houston too.

Just another meat grinder

Prone to closing shops and layoffs, toxic work culture that strives to crush you under. I made it 5 years. I watched over 100 people come and go. Management will lie to you, use you and discard you. Its just another meat grinder folks and the ol industry ever hungers for fresh fools.

Good place to work, frequent reorganization though

Management was very supportive during most of my time with their Corp Oracle IT department up until our last reorganization where we landed under upper management that cared mostly about cutting costs and our entire dept was outsourced…

Been a stable place at least for me

Within my group it feels nice to be here. Once you get to corporate level thinking I feel poor decisions have been made. Politics has to big of a hold for my liking.

A lot of hours if you want and need them, but..

The hours are there.. especially overtime hours. However, there is no set schedule, the on-call schedule/list is unstructured and will take away from your home life. There is a “good ol boys club” and favoritism. There are easy days and many long hard days working 16+ hours.

Pros

A lot of hours, company truck, fuel card

Cons

Long hours, diminishing benefits, bad work life//home life balance

Highly Competitive, Fair, and Many Opportunities for Motivated Employees

Great opportunities for training and advancement for those who are self motivated and driven. Great culture and leadership. Strong engineering teams and solid manufacturing. It is a cyclical business with market swings but the company manages it much better with respect to the employees than other's in the field I have worked for.

Overall my experience was pretty good here. I was hired as Inventory Control Manager but ended up going to Solids Control School. Made pretty good money and they have great benefits. Management at the office was good but on location it wasn't quite the same.

Common questions about NOV

Answered by current and former employees at NOV

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NOV. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.6
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
2.6Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight