Nova Southeastern University Employee Reviews

Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLNovember 14, 2018
Very flexible, worked around my school schedule and was able to study during hours they didn't have work for me. Was also able to work from home, was't tied down to certain hours or locations.
Great co-workers
Employee (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLOctober 28, 2018
In the department I work in we created a great working atmosphere. My immediate manager was awesome to work for. The higher ups who worked n the offices and making their six figures didn't care about their staff. The majority of the people at Nova especially in the call center have advanced degrees, yet are not compensated for them. I obtained my graduate degree from Nova and wasn't even making $15.00 per hour. The turnover rate at Nova is extremely high due to the low pay, but then again what do they care.
Pros
Great people
Cons
The pay is deplorable.
Great place to get your foot in the door
Director of Donor Relations (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 26, 2018
NSU does wonderful things in the community and is certainly a university on the edge of being great! they are expanding and fundraising like no other.
Management is tough to please and do have great communication skills.
All depends on which department
Academic Advisor II (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 22, 2018
Depending on which department or college your work for will depend on your success and happiness in your position. Location is also very important, so working on main campus is more beneficial.
Pros
Good benefits, excellent PTO and holiday time off and flexibility.
Cons
Difficult for raise last 5-7 years, benefits expensive, movement is almost impossible unless your in the in crowd, management in my department was awful., education benefits will change after 2020, difficult to utilize
Great place to work and learn.
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 22, 2018
I enjoyed working and learning at NSU. It is a collaborative environment that supported innovation. I am also always expected to keep the tenets of adult learning a the forefront of my work.
mananagement
Technology Support Technician I (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 22, 2018
cant see my self in this company for a long time, is a place were with too many uncertain positions and no respect for hard workers. worked my butt off and no answer for me. no permanent employment.
Pros
free tuition
Cons
bad management
Poor accounting practices
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 18, 2018
Poor system of paying contract workers. Many part time instructors that I hired went months with being paid for classes they had taught and reimbursed for travel
Fun and collaborative working environment
Law School Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 1, 2018
As a full time doctoral student at Nova Southeastern University, I only worked part-time. I enjoyed working with fellow student workers and full time staff.
Pros
We were entitled to breaks after every 3hours
Cons
Need to review stipend paid to student workers
Family Oriented
Insurance Verifications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 1, 2018
I enjoy working with this company because of its values and diversity. Working here made me feel part of a larger family and made me feel that I was part of the change for the better in our communities.
Pros
1 hour lunch break.
Productive and fun work place
Team lead, Specialty Assistant (Current Employee) –  Davie, FLOctober 1, 2018
Great place to work. Great benefits, not a fast pace work, great people. The hardest part of the job is finding parking because it is also a University.
Sinking ship.
Student Dentist (Current Employee) –  Davie, FLSeptember 25, 2018
Originally, the universities dental program was fantastic. Such a shame how money and politics of the school have gotten the best of it recently. Certain administrative decisions that make absolutely no sense besides the fact that it is so centered towards money hungry decisions. I will say that the grass is always greener on the other side, but Nova definitely has its radical flaws, lack of standardization for students, and poor decision making recently. That might explain all of the lawsuits against the dental school.
Pros
Degree
Cons
underpaid faculty who don't really want to be there to teach. Very limited remarkable faculty, but they got fired.
Great job for current NSU students
Student Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 17, 2018
Although the job required a lot of standing time, or busy desk time, it was a very great place for college students. The hardest part of the job was working really late one day and really early the next. The library is very beautiful and spacious with wonderful staff.
Great place to work.
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 11, 2018
This was a great place to work. There was a lot of opportunity for growth and the work was fulfilling. Employees were given support to be successful in their jobs.
Pros
Flexible schedules and interesting work
Cons
Not a good place to work if you don't like working in a fast-paced environment
Lower any expectations you have
Programmer Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLSeptember 9, 2018
The good news is that the average person who works there is timid and easy to get along with. There is a free week off around Christmas for all employees, and there are plenty of places around to go for lunch

Be aware that if you are going in as a software engineer that NSU is a stagnant organization that uses incredibly irrelevant technology compared to the wider business world combined with a complete lack of modern development practices,
below average pay, and cronyism in management.

This was my first job out of college so I did not really have anything to compare it to professionally but I have since found much better more fulfilling jobs, if you work here
as a developer be aware that nothing that you do will be applicable outside of Higher Education, the stack that you use will mostly be proprietary to a third party company,
they use TFS but managers do not actually understand what agile means. There is very notably a culture of fear in all employees except for the friends of the CIO who are all in
upper management/director positions: the "Kaplan" crew. There is also no work from home policy, and there has not been a cost-of-living raise in over two years.

If this sounds like an OK or Ideal place to work for you then you will fit right in, otherwise if you have any other options and any real marketable skill I suggest you steer clear of NSU.

These are all true statements and NSU keeps paying to remove these reviews and I am fine with this.

Advice to Management

Promote people from within, give a COL raise to keep up with inflation, and treat the
  more... people who stop the schools technology from imploding better.  less
Pros
Free week of vacation during the winter season
Cons
Heavy cronyism in OIT management, below average pay, no opportunity for advancement, outdated stack
Great Mentor and Work Envirnoment
Research Assistant and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 6, 2018
This professor was able to give great legal advice as well as professional advice about getting a career after graduation. Very thankful for this wonderful opportunity.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
cap on hours
Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Davie, FLSeptember 5, 2018
This University is a wonderful place to work. Very collaborative atmosphere. They put the students education first and provide the best quality education possible.
No collaboration between departments
Business Development/Marketing and Communications (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 3, 2018
Too many people that have been there for way too long feeling entitled and not working hard to get anything done. No collaboration and training whatsoever
Stressful but Rewarding
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Davie, FLAugust 31, 2018
The organization has many great benefits and the workplace culture is very welcoming. The best part of the job is the interaction with students. The hardest part of the job is the high stress level.
Warm and Flexible
N/A (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLAugust 28, 2018
If you are not willing to do whatever it takes whenever it takes then you should not work at any position with NSU. They expect you to do the work of three other people and you will end up doing a job completely opposite of what your title is. I am all for being a team player and doing what it takes to get a job done but if you don't stay late or are not willing to take on every single extra task that they offer, then they will not respect you. Awful higher management. My personal manager was great but their manager just stressed everyone out and made everyone miserable.
Great place to work!
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLAugust 28, 2018
Nice working environment. Great location. Excellent amenities. Typical working hours are 37.5/week. Many educational and learning opportunities. Competitive benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nova Southeastern University. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight