Novaspect, Inc. Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
An Honest Review
Services (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJuly 12, 2018
Novaspect (commonly referred to as “No Respect” by employees and customers) is an extension of Emerson, representing itself as a local business partner to a specified territory. As such, they have a secure presence in a defined territory with no competition. That is their stronghold. There is no commitment to the customer, community or the employees. They recently became an employee owned company only in order to buyout the mandatory retiring president. The new president provides zero direction, inspiration or future growth plans. The executive team is only focused on today and the money being made now, in order to pay off shareholders. There is no long term employee retention plan, secure the future of Novaspect plan or revitalization plan for disillusioned customers. Emerson must be proud.
So many experienced employees have resigned that positions are being filled unskilled, inexperienced warm bodies. IT SHOWS! Management takes no responsibility for employee departure, declining morale or disengagement. Work place culture is more about socializing and less about being productive. The job itself is not hard, there are just not enough people to help get it done. The most enjoyable part of the job is... the end of the day.
Pros
Flexible hours with work remote options.
Cons
Managers lack experience. Unrealistic workloads.
Great Benefits , Great Culture, Great Location
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJune 8, 2018
The company truly does care about its employees as people and not just numbers. They promote a great work life balance and fun culture. Everyone is friendly and very knowledgeable in their jobs. The benefits are above competitive. Great location too, close to interstate, shopping and food. They have programs in place to help new employees feel very welcome.
Pros
Great benefits, personable management
Employee Owned Company
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILApril 9, 2018
We became an employee owned company in 2016 and everyone is still trying to figure out exactly what that means to them. The management is trying to communicate and be transparent. Employees are expected to take ownership of their needs and get the information and resources they need to get their work done. Overall, compared to other places I have worked Novaspect is a step above. The three different managers I have worked for directly have always shown me they care about me personally and want to see me succeed. There are always opportunities to improve at any company, and here if you take ownership of your ideas you normally see your ideas discussed and put into play in some format.
Very Nice
Panel Shop Intern (Current Employee) –  Mandan, NDNovember 29, 2017
It was a great experience working for Novaspect. I learned how to wire control panels. Management was laid back but old school, show up, do your work, and don't screw off and you'll be fine.
Company cares more about the money and not the employees
Inside Sales/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILNovember 14, 2017
This use to be a great company. I worked for them for 12 years and loved it in the beginning. New owners took over and the employees became a number and the family feeling went away. Those owners sold and the current owner(s) are even worse. Employee moral is so low and I have yet to talk to anyone still working there who isn't actively seeking other employment or taking early retirement. Very sad.
Pros
Good pay and good location(Schaumburg, Il)
Cons
Management - Moral - Co-workers are soulless
Good place to work.
System Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chanhassen, MNAugust 30, 2017
At Novaspect, our Core Purpose is to improve our customer's performance through the innovative application of technology. We do this by engineering, selling and servicing industrial process controls. That is what we do, but we are very proud of how we do this because we work hard to build customer relationships, we are passionate at creating effective processes, we position ourselves to attract the best talent, and ensure we are delivering local services with proven technologies.
Good Company to work for
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, IL. office (Remote)April 25, 2017
I liked working there. They are suffering from growing pains that have resulted in two major reductions in work force, but never stopped hiring. I really liked my direct manager. I feel he is very good in his position.
Pros
Great people to work with, a great deal of experience and knowledge in the company.
Cons
I was separated along with 34 other people in round two reduction after three years
Great engineering company
Applications Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 18, 2017
I really enjoyed my co-workers. The job could be demanding while on a project, but was family friendly when not on a project. Managers and co-workers were very knowledgeable.
Pros
Lots of free lunches and company functions
Cons
Projects were not always managed properly
Great place to work, until it's not
Control System Engineer (Former Employee) –  ChanhassenApril 13, 2017
Novaspect is suffering the fate of a company that grew too fast and was unable to sustain said growth. However staffing continued to grow in anticipation of growth that never occurred. Sales then dwindled. Soon the cost savings measures started. Top executives began bailing out, restructuring took place then progressed to voluntary retirement, which lead to raise suspension, which lead to aggressive headcount reduction, that left many faithful employees without a job and families to support.

Novaspect was a good place to work. Work life balance was encouraged, the front lines had a small company feel to it, but the executive end of the company was cold, calculating, and uncaring.
Pros
Willing to train new employees, flexible schedules
Cons
Aggresively downsizing
the worst place you could work
Reliability Solution Sales (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 9, 2016
they are like the people welcoming aliens in a movie. They are all open armed and full of love. Than the alien obliterates them. CLUELESS. They dont work than wonder why nothing positive happens
50% win rate on quotes
I have been at Novaspect for 31 years and have had many opporturnities.
Systems Services Area Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chanhassen, MNJune 30, 2016
I have been pretty happy at Novaspect over the years, but I am wanting to explore other job opportunities in the area that may also fit my skill set. I would like to look at a smaller company.
Pros
Great people.
Cons
Communication.
Good Company, Bad managment
Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDSeptember 29, 2015
Had many problems with managment. They were unaware of what was going on in the field most of the time. Many people have left because of managment.
Professional Company
Order Entry & Administrative Support - Intern (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJuly 15, 2015
A typical day at work for an intern consisted of various tasks that were often unplanned for each day. There was always a different project every day during my time at Novaspect. The management was excellent and my co-workers were easy-going and extremely helpful.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Terrible commute
Great place to work with a bright future and an awesome past to build from.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Large officeSeptember 27, 2014
Novaspect is always trying to maintain their position of being a company that delivers high value day in and day out to their customers by applying technical solutions through great product and services. One factor they recognize is that it is the people that make up Novaspect that are key to this success, not just the great products they offer. I have been with them for over five years and don't see myself ever leaving because of the value placed on making sure employees are able to be successful.

It seems like most of the management have been through the ranks and have a close understanding of the customers and solutions provided. This has been encouraging as it shows that there are advancement paths available. There are really some awesome "mentors" to learn from, and the opportunity for top notch product and industry training is second-to-none. Hang-on though, as the pace at times can be pretty fast, but the support is there to make sure everyone is doing well. There are lots of folks who have been at the company for 25+ years and seem to enjoy coming to work as much as the new grads that get hired.

It is very rewarding to be looked upon by the customers as one of the best automation solution providers in the industry. To sound corny, there are no B-team players at Novaspect. Everyone there has a real passion for turning customer pain into customer satisfaction, and there are enough sharp folks that will pitch in to help that there are rarely any times when you feel that we can't fix that issue. I haven't found one person who wouldn't help me out of a bind
  more... after hours or on weekends, and this just makes you feel like there is always someone who has your back.

It seem like the territory we cover has a nice diverse base of customers and that helps keep the workload consistent. It is nice also because one project you may work in is in the pulp and paper industry, and the next in a refinery, so there is alway an interesting challenge.
Pros
Work is very interesting, training offered, compensation is solid all around, great people to work with
Cons
Some travel to customers if you are in certain roles
Demanding Work Environment with Substantial Rewards and Opportunities
Sales (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILDecember 12, 2013
There are no "cushy" jobs at Novaspect. The goals and expectations are set very high for everyone, and you are expected to perform at that high level. Management strives to implement a culture of passion, teamwork, and candor. They expect you to carry a certain level of autonomy in your job, and the focus is an excellent customer experience every time. They also expect you to speak up if you see room for improvement in any area, or if you feel management has overlooked some key details while implementing new strategies.

That being said, meeting the expectations of the company can be grueling at times. You may become mentally and (in some cases) physically exhausted in the work. The good news is that the benefits (including vacation, pay, and insurance) are wonderful, so that can be a motivating factor to work hard. Other motivating factors are the people that you work with become your team, and the flexibility that the company offers for a healthy work-life balance allows for some breathers.

Bottom line is that you shouldn't consider Novaspect if you are not prepared to give your all and to be challenged by the organization. Although Novaspect is a relatively small company, they set the bar as high as any Fortune 500 company does.
Pros
Challenges, opportunities for growth, people
Cons
long hours, company growing pains
shop team and office people are great poor management
its a secret (Former Employee) –  wish i could tell yaSeptember 23, 2013
( this review is about on place that novaspect owns)The Guys out in the shop are great to work with some people in the office are great workers also. Management is sad don't have an idea whats going on in the shop or how to run the service side of things. most management are very close friends so there is a lot of the buddy system that happens. hurting for work and losing customers due to high prices to do service work lack of experience in the shop and with others leaving it will be hard for it to stay running. the job says a machinist but everything they are wanting is a cnc machinist well guess what there is not one cnc machine so if that tells ya how much they know about the shop. ETC...

it used to be a great place to work until new management came in
Pros
The V.P. of the company, the shop crew
Cons
no five year plan
A good company, pays well
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJuly 31, 2013
If you keep to yourself and do your job, you'll be fine. A little gossip going on like most offices. Management is young and not very understanding of personal issues and family concerns.
Pros
free training opportunity, some free lunches
Cons
micromanagement by supervisors, gossip and rumors in the office
Excellent place to work.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNMay 9, 2013
I have been employed at Novaspect for over 7 years and it is without a doubt the best place I have ever worked. The culture of teamwork and customer focus is second to none. If you are looking for a place to work on the cutting edge of the process control industry this is the place for you.
Pros
Team atmosphere, Customer focus
Cons
Subject to physical and emotional abuse.
AutoCAD Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNOctober 14, 2012
During the time I worked for them, I was subjected to physical and emotional abuse. I found their management indifferent to my issues and was let go because of their perceived personality conflict with another employee,
Pros
i can't think of any pros for this company.
Cons
i can't say enough about the humilitaion i took working there.