NRG Energy Employee Reviews

Travel
Human Resource/Labor Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJFebruary 17, 2019
Most of my time was spent traveling to power plant locations. I enjoyed the travel and visiting my clients at their locations although the issues at these plants were sometimes pretty serious and required lengthy investigations and difficult recommendations.
I believe the company should do better
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 2, 2019
We had unprofessional people working over us. You could tell they knew nothing about management they abuse their power as being managers. We’re jealous of some employees and took advantage of them. Their pay systems for set up for you to lose your commission of each sales. I wouldn’t recommend this company to anyone. I called the ethics hotline they didn’t do anything. They get over on customers for money. And expect you to lie. If I could I would get this company shut down.
Pros
Cons
Everything they suck
N/a
Site Document Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAFebruary 9, 2019
• Managing of engineering and construction documents from receipt through processing, distribution, organization, storage and retrieval.
• Maintaining project document submission/reception registers.
• In the SharePoint system, provide access to new employees and manage library settings when necessary.
Great
Real Estate Marketing Executive (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 12, 2019
Great company and team to work for. companies listens to its employees and Cater to its customers.
NRG is a nice company with opportunities for development and growth
Pros
Great team
Cons
Travel
Good Place to Work, but only as a Permanent Employee
CONTACT CENTER REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 12, 2019
I liked working here, but there is no set timeframe on when you would get full benefits. This means no paid time off even on holidays and no health benefits either.
Pros
Cons
no bebefits
Use to be a good place NRG has made it worse.
Central Control Room Operator (Current Employee) –  Homer City, PAFebruary 1, 2019
When I started working the company cared about the workers. After NRG took over it just got worse. Moral is at its all time worse. Management is so cut throat they will stab you in the back to get ahead.
Very fast paced and competitive.
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 7, 2018
NRG is a good Company for young people starting their careers. It pays well. Not flexible regarding working from home. Great benefits regarding Vision.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No flexibility with scheduling work hours
Good Company but would not return
Manager, Data Analytics (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 7, 2019
NRG was very good to me for several years, but after I moved to the Solar group in NRG i felt like I was an outsider. Although I had given them the better part of 6 years, they did not attempt to re-assign when they closed the Solar office. I had excellent reviews at every performance review and did a lot for the company so I thought that was a slap in the face. Before I moved to Solar, I thought the growth opportunity was endless, but it was cut short based on my one move.
Pros
Stable company, Good pay/benefits
Cons
Industry is just not growing so lots of turnover.
An awsome place to work.
DevOps Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 17, 2019
NRG cares about their employees, if they like you, they are going to retain you.
Work life balance is mostly good, for me personally it was awesome.
People are friendly, management is approachable and compensation is fair.
Lean
Solar Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 26, 2018
NRG operates in a lean fashion by focusing on the bottom line. At times there were no control systems in place to properly detect inefficiencies or reward honest hard work.
Enjoyed working at NRG
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 20, 2018
Work day was from 7-3:30 with some folks working 8-4. Worked wit a great bunch of folks that helped in gaining experience in the accounting profession.
Solid company, good leadership
DRAFTER III (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 28, 2019
Good company to work for. In my experience, moral and a team atmosphere were excellent. Somewhat flexible in work schedule with good management. Not a lot of success trying to contribute to process improvement.
Pros
Good pay, competent and friendly management, good 401k match and PTO
Cons
Not much opportunity for upward career movement and not the best at listening to ideas
Go elsewhere
Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 2, 2019
Management has become unprofessional. Has cut back on benefits.
I would check out newer companies that are operating without having to worry about the shareholders imput
Pros
Job
Cons
Unprofessional Culture
very good company to work for
Senior Vice President & Chief Tax Officer (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJOctober 31, 2018
Ive been very fortunate to work many years at NRG - very dynamic and busy organization in the energy industry. Has recently transformed the businesses to scale back and refocus on its next venture which is mostly retail customers around Houston
TX
Technical careers at NRG
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 27, 2018
Great company to work for. and great opportunities to learn and grow. great benefits and very good bonus. However, with new company philosophy of focusing on retail market and cutting down on generation and not able to aggressively win projects..will make difficult if you are trying to advance in engineering and technical areas.
Great Company
Billing/ Contracts Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 5, 2018
God Company to work for if you get into the right department. Work is fact paced, lots of deadlines and on going career training is required. Minimal room for advancement
Fun work place ,but can be dangerous an overwhelming
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 26, 2018
Working as a employee for NRG reliant energy can be stressful and dangerous due to the fact that your knocking on strangers doors all day . Getting home late and working in the cold, rain,snow,or heat can be an issue as well . Although the benefits are good. Weekly pay. a lot of traveling.lots of money to be made
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Dangerous
7x24 work style
Director (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJDecember 12, 2018
Great place to work. People are smart and the atmosphere is enjoyable. There is always something new to do and new to learn.
Just be ready to put in long hours. NRG never sleeps.
Great employer
Senior Insurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 6, 2018
Good people, challenging work, lots to learn. NRG was a great place to grow. The hours could be long and the stress about meeting timelines was intense but the compensation was first rate.
Pros
Challenging work, great staff, Understanding Management
Cons
Long hours, stress
Was a good place to work when it was in business
Business Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 21, 2018
This company is no longer in business. Prior to leaving the company (moved to another state), a new executive manager took over and moved the company to the east coast (from Minnesota) and most of my co workers were left without a job. The business was then sold soon after.
Pros
Co workers worked very well together.
Cons
Travel to and parking in downtown Minneapolis

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NRG Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at NRG Energy.

Powered by Comparably