NRG Energy Employee Reviews

Very fast paced and competitive.
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 7, 2018
NRG is a good Company for young people starting their careers. It pays well. Not flexible regarding working from home. Great benefits regarding Vision.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No flexibility with scheduling work hours
Technical careers at NRG
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 27, 2018
Great company to work for. and great opportunities to learn and grow. great benefits and very good bonus. However, with new company philosophy of focusing on retail market and cutting down on generation and not able to aggressively win projects..will make difficult if you are trying to advance in engineering and technical areas.
Fun work place ,but can be dangerous an overwhelming
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 26, 2018
Working as a employee for NRG reliant energy can be stressful and dangerous due to the fact that your knocking on strangers doors all day . Getting home late and working in the cold, rain,snow,or heat can be an issue as well . Although the benefits are good. Weekly pay. a lot of traveling.lots of money to be made
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Dangerous
Great employer
Senior Insurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 6, 2018
Good people, challenging work, lots to learn. NRG was a great place to grow. The hours could be long and the stress about meeting timelines was intense but the compensation was first rate.
Pros
Challenging work, great staff, Understanding Management
Cons
Long hours, stress
Great Company
Billing/ Contracts Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 5, 2018
God Company to work for if you get into the right department. Work is fact paced, lots of deadlines and on going career training is required. Minimal room for advancement
very good company to work for
Senior Vice President & Chief Tax Officer (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJOctober 31, 2018
Ive been very fortunate to work many years at NRG - very dynamic and busy organization in the energy industry. Has recently transformed the businesses to scale back and refocus on its next venture which is mostly retail customers around Houston
TX
Great Place to work
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 24, 2018
I really enjoyed my time as a Contractor there. I would recommend them to hire the contractors they have trained rather than find under qualified candidates.
Was a good place to work when it was in business
Business Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 21, 2018
This company is no longer in business. Prior to leaving the company (moved to another state), a new executive manager took over and moved the company to the east coast (from Minnesota) and most of my co workers were left without a job. The business was then sold soon after.
Pros
Co workers worked very well together.
Cons
Travel to and parking in downtown Minneapolis
Lots of Changes
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILOctober 21, 2018
It is was a tough place to work. No work/life balance, but I am thankful I took the job. I learned a lot in a very short amount of time. Most of the employees were wonderful.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
No work/life balance
Used to be better
Accounting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 12, 2018
Things changed there over time, job security diminished. Management was not involved in day to day operations as much as it used to be. Too bad because used to be better.
NRG Taught Me A Lot
Regional Settlements Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 8, 2018
I worked at NRG for many years and it was always a fast paced environment. Things changed quickly and you have to be on your toes. Much of the time was working in an open concept office.
Commission Based
Sales Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 8, 2018
Independent contractor, based on commission. Was very hard to keep up with everything but was able to sign huge accounts into my name. Decided not to pursuit further because there were no upwards mobility.
Great place to work as long as you are business focused and self motivated
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 6, 2018
I worked twice ere at Noram which became Reliant as an employee. I went back to NRG in 2015 as a contractor. Good company to work for. Lots of opportunities to learn and develop new skill sets.
Loved the people I worked with
Business Solutions Analyst (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 4, 2018
Loved the people I worked with, but lived in fear of being laid off all the time...then after 13 years it happened. But if it wasn't a pretty decent company to work for, I certainly would not have stayed so long and been disappointed when they closed our office and we were laid off.
Great people, great pay
Business Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NY/Nipton, CAOctober 2, 2018
NRG is a great place to work. You are not micro-managed and they trust you to do your job. Hours are flexible, pay is exceptional and the people are fantastic.
Pros
pays well
Cons
none really other than they are downsizing
Good job good pay
Operational Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  West Haverstraw, NYOctober 1, 2018
Great job with good benefits. Management is a bit over the top with most things but overall a great place to earn a living and learn a skilled trade you can take with you
Pros
Pay
Do not work at NRG Waukegan IL
Coal plant operater (Former Employee) –  Waukegan, ILSeptember 23, 2018
They have brought in new management again, maybe this time it will work but I left before it didn't. The culture is horrible with fellow co-workers telling on each other and in many cases falsely. They will routinely force you to work 4-8 hours past your normal 8 hour shift because the power plant is woefully under staffed.
Pros
good pay, excellent benefits
Cons
everything else
Great company/Great People
Internal Controls Intern (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJSeptember 19, 2018
As an internal controls intern, my manager tried to expose me to areas within the company that was applicable to my studies. Everyone in the group worked with me and were were very accommodating when it came to answering my questions.
Good Culture
Lead Scheduler/Planner (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 19, 2018
Great place to work. During the time I worked there there was great challenges however We worked through them to get the overall job completed. The Project was the first of its kind. This was a 2 billion dollar project and was a Carbon Capture Project
Pros
great work
Standard Job
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 16, 2018
Structured work environment. Office environment is not friendly. If you're not in the inner circle do your best at what you do and keep your head down or get out. Corporate high school.
Pros
You have a job
Cons
Never get comfortable. High layoff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NRG Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

5.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss