NRG Energy Employee Reviews

Used to be better
Accounting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 12, 2018
Things changed there over time, job security diminished. Management was not involved in day to day operations as much as it used to be. Too bad because used to be better.
NRG Taught Me A Lot
Regional Settlements Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 8, 2018
I worked at NRG for many years and it was always a fast paced environment. Things changed quickly and you have to be on your toes. Much of the time was working in an open concept office.
Commission Based
Sales Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 8, 2018
Independent contractor, based on commission. Was very hard to keep up with everything but was able to sign huge accounts into my name. Decided not to pursuit further because there were no upwards mobility.
Great place to work as long as you are business focused and self motivated
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 6, 2018
I worked twice ere at Noram which became Reliant as an employee. I went back to NRG in 2015 as a contractor. Good company to work for. Lots of opportunities to learn and develop new skill sets.
Loved the people I worked with
Business Solutions Analyst (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 4, 2018
Loved the people I worked with, but lived in fear of being laid off all the time...then after 13 years it happened. But if it wasn't a pretty decent company to work for, I certainly would not have stayed so long and been disappointed when they closed our office and we were laid off.
Great people, great pay
Business Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NY/Nipton, CAOctober 2, 2018
NRG is a great place to work. You are not micro-managed and they trust you to do your job. Hours are flexible, pay is exceptional and the people are fantastic.
Pros
pays well
Cons
none really other than they are downsizing
Good job good pay
Operational Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  West Haverstraw, NYOctober 1, 2018
Great job with good benefits. Management is a bit over the top with most things but overall a great place to earn a living and learn a skilled trade you can take with you
Pros
Pay
Do not work at NRG Waukegan IL
Coal plant operater (Former Employee) –  Waukegan, ILSeptember 23, 2018
They have brought in new management again, maybe this time it will work but I left before it didn't. The culture is horrible with fellow co-workers telling on each other and in many cases falsely. They will routinely force you to work 4-8 hours past your normal 8 hour shift because the power plant is woefully under staffed.
Pros
good pay, excellent benefits
Cons
everything else
Great company/Great People
Internal Controls Intern (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJSeptember 19, 2018
As an internal controls intern, my manager tried to expose me to areas within the company that was applicable to my studies. Everyone in the group worked with me and were were very accommodating when it came to answering my questions.
Good Culture
Lead Scheduler/Planner (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 19, 2018
Great place to work. During the time I worked there there was great challenges however We worked through them to get the overall job completed. The Project was the first of its kind. This was a 2 billion dollar project and was a Carbon Capture Project
Pros
great work
Standard Job
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 16, 2018
Structured work environment. Office environment is not friendly. If you're not in the inner circle do your best at what you do and keep your head down or get out. Corporate high school.
Pros
You have a job
Cons
Never get comfortable. High layoff
Loved it
Auxiliary Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 14, 2018
awesome place to work, great environment. a very well put together benefit package that started immediately when I was hired on. I would still work for them if I didn't have to relocate
Pros
great all around company
Cons
Excellent place to work everybody worked as a team
Electronics Technician II- NRG (Former Employee) –  New Roads, LASeptember 13, 2018
Maintenance technician electrician/ Instrument Technician/ Analyzer Technician very pleased with the company and all employees I would go back to with them tomorrow if I could
Never a dull moment
Project Manager and Transaction Originator (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CASeptember 8, 2018
There was never a dull moment. Long-term projects were continually interrupted with emergencies, giving me a real sense of purpose and urgency. Responsibilities covered the whole range of power plant skills and technologies, with an open hierarchy at the plants that encouraged all employees to participate in solutions. This last sentence encapsulates the good, the bad, and the ugly of working with NRG. I was sorry that financial difficulties forced them to cut back the engineering team, but grateful for the chance to work at a dream job.
Pros
Lots of travel and opportunity to meet power teams from all over the US
Cons
Lots of Travel
Consulting Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJSeptember 8, 2018
NRG Energy is a great place to work. They have open office environment and fast-paced environment.

They also offer opportunities for training and skill development.
Fun work place great managers
Sercurity Guard (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 5, 2018
Was A Fun Work Place Must Stand On Your Feet All Day Plenty Of Water to Drink if Working Outside Not A Hard Job At All And The Management Was Very Nice
Good stable company
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New Florence, PAAugust 28, 2018
Nrg has been a good stable company to work for. Pay is excellent and benefits are in line with the industry standards. Promotion seems to come from with in and advancement is available.
13 years - It was a good work place and good people!
Contract Management Analyst I (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXAugust 27, 2018
I enjoyed my time at NRG and learned a great deal to further my career. The people there were great and I had a very good manager who helped me along the way.
Pros
Annual bonuses
my co-workers made this job fun
Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXAugust 24, 2018
the upper management change over constatly which lead to spartic policy changes and conflicting excution proceedures to meet growing goal expectation. Leading to a cut throat working enviroment.
Pros
lots of free time
Cons
lots of free time
Very insecure work environment because of large reduction in force
Sr. Benefits Analyst (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJAugust 22, 2018
Very insecure work environment because of large reduction in force. Company going from size of 10,000 to 4,000 by end of year. Not sure of future of company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NRG Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.6

2.6Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight