NTB - National Tire & Battery Employee Reviews

Another sales driven company
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Martin City, MOJanuary 22, 2019
The Issue with NTB was that no matter how well you performed they always expected you to do more. That part is true in all business to an extent. You cant truthfully and morally increase sales in a quick lube/repair facility by 33% every year.
A great place to learn, but with some major cravats.
Service Manager/Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaJanuary 19, 2019
Great place to learn, not so great place to thrive. Get in, learn what you can, and get out. That seems to be the most popular mentality of most employees that come and go, especially the mechanics. NTB, trains from the ground up, pays for ASE testing, and pays based on performance.

What this means is that even as you work your way through their career path, if you are not productive enough by their squed standards, you are not likely to make the money that you are eventually worth.

So what typically happens is hopeful techs come in, get a few ASE's and then apply at the bigger manufacturers for better pay and life to work culture.

But if you are a workaholic and don't mind the stress, drudgery and thankless nature of the work, then there are worse places.
Pros
Benefit rich, spifs, bonuses, deep employee discounts on service.
Cons
Long hours, high stress, low quality of life and work to life balance. Low immersion of women in the industry.
Decent but could pay better
Technician (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 17, 2019
Not too much bad you can say about the place, training is good, advancement opportunities are there, they pay for you ASE training and testing. Other than feeling like you are living at work sometimes for little to no money the atmosphere itself was good as well as the morals.
Pros
discounts on parts and repairs
Cons
low pay, lots of hours
Great Place To Start
Tire and Lube Technician (Current Employee) –  Marrero, LAJanuary 16, 2019
Its a great place to start you career. I started here not knowing anything about cars and now i could change oil with my eyes closed. They will teach tou you whatever you need to know. And its filled with great coworkers.
Good place to start, not how you wanna finish
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Waxhaw, NCJanuary 14, 2019
NTB is better than working at a quick lube shop, but lets leave it there. The pay format for technicians promises a high flat rate, because they mess with the flat rate ratios. Free rotations don't do a thing for you. The pay structure is formatted to lure you in and then you realize how hard it is to earn there. Long Hours, grueling. It beats you down, pay is low, and the working conditions are not clean. I liked our crew, I liked the freedoms, but I knew how unfair the pay and working conditions were to stay. If you want to be a technician, go there to get your feet wet, learn what you can, then get somewhere better. For all the old techs looking to find an independent to work out their last years... you can do it here, but you more than likely wont appreciate the lack of professionalism and hours.
Pros
Part discounts. Shop use.
Cons
Hours, Pay, Level of Expertise
Its steady
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 12, 2019
Its a great place to work; however, there is no career growth there. I have been there 18 years and never moved up or advanced within the company. A typical day is great.
Good place to learn skills of the trade
GST (Former Employee) –  Mandeville, LAJanuary 12, 2019
I have no quarrels with NTB. I had back luck with a service manager, but that was taken care of. Good place to work. Teamwork is key. Working and getting as many tickets to get the most commission is key. Learn and take ASE classes and you'll be fine.
Pros
ASE friendly and compensation.
Cons
Short lunch and when there are few tickets, its hard to work
General Service Technician
General Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 10, 2019
NTB / Tire Kingdom gave me excellent training in tire removal and installation. They also gave me excellent training in oil changes, and vehicle inspections.
Great place great customers poor management
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Round Lake Beach, ILJanuary 10, 2019
I worked there for three years an the company is really good and the customers are good too but management is poor from the dm’s upwards and they should really work on it
Productive and fun
Gst (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 5, 2019
Very busy place good atmosphere great customer service tools were up to date very intelligent manager great learning place loved working there everyday
Benefits
Cons
To much stress not enough
CSA - Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJanuary 1, 2019
I do to much for what I’m paid for. I have to rely on people
To buy the things they need on their car to make me actual good money and that’s not always a guaranteed. Your hourly pay is not good at all, you have to sell a lot of things to make it barley.
Pros
Cons
Nothing fair
It was a great work environment and everyone was friendly
General Service Tech (Former Employee) –  Hixson, TNDecember 30, 2018
I enjoyed working here and loved my Co-workers but my manager was absolutely terrible he was always finding something to pick at and he was always yelling at the crew.It was absolutely terrible no matter how fast I worked it was never good enough.
Pros
Big Discount on car work.
Cons
Treated like dirt.
Horrible place to work
General Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 27, 2018
Take it from a current employee, they don’t pay what they claim, all advancement opportunities are given to family, and the CSAs are more than happy to sign other people off for the work you do bringing down your productivity and you don’t get paid for it. Worked here 3 times with the promise that it’s better and all 3 times have been worse each time. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere for employment.
Pros
Flexible schedule?
Cons
Almost everything else.
Understaffed and overworked
Automotive Technician (Current Employee) –  Goodlettsville, TNDecember 20, 2018
Understaffed and overworked, high stress work environment with only 2 paid holidays off a year. Management is shackled by corporate restraints restricting full staffing. Workplace culture non-existent. Life outside of work is near impossible and family orientation is severely strained.
Pros
Technican pay comission based and scaled with ASE certs
Cons
Extremely long hours, very late or no lunch/breaks, High stress
quick paced
General Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Niles, ILDecember 16, 2018
I loved working on the cars. I enjoyed working with some of the other technicians there. I did mostly tires and provided regular maintenance to customer vehicles, but I am ready to move on and advance in my career
Pros
lots to learn, perfect scheduel
Cons
low pay
Poor workmanship
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, OHDecember 14, 2018
Favoritism towards “buddy buddy” workers. Not getting paid for jobs that I’ve done. Want me to do other people’s work on vehicles that they get paid for and not me.
Pros
Always busy
Cons
No benefits and little to no breaks
Ntb
lube tech (Former Employee) –  Cumming, GADecember 14, 2018
wasnt that bad of a job. just alot of bad employees that would call out all the time and still have a job the next day. long hours and not a whole lot of advancing.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  N Charleston, SCDecember 13, 2018
I am retired EMS and came down here to SC about a year and a half ago from NJ. I started with the company back in November 2017 as a tech, and within a year, I became Service Manager and then Store Manager. They have treated me with respect and dignity. There is plenty of room to grow here and move up the chain.
Pros
Good pay, vacation time, 401K, great people to work for/with
Great atmosphere
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCDecember 12, 2018
Friendly work incitement but lacks proper judgment management wize.
Great customer relations and room to advance unless your disabled.
Lack of gob security is a major problem
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Poor management
very demanding with scheduling
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNDecember 11, 2018
the worst part was the fact that the schedule was put out week to week so you couldnt really plan anything in your personal life in advance. pay was decent

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NTB - National Tire & Battery. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.9InHerSight Score

1.0Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight