Nuance Employee Reviews

Great place to work and learn
Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 25, 2019
Nuance is a great place to work, they are undergoing a lot of changes operationally and reduced their workforce multiple times since July 2018. Being a remote employee, there is an expectation that you work different hours, especially in Operations.
Pros
Opportunities to learn new products
Cons
Work life balance
Good but with some notable failings
Sr. Software Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAMarch 19, 2019
Good but with some notable failings having to do mostly with lack of proper oversight of contractors - specially the lack of oversight of contractors who were willing to play dirty an to cheat while seeking to be hire as full time employees
Fair place to work
Remote Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 16, 2019
My experience with Nuance was okay. My only complaint was the fact that they changed your accounts often and you had to have multiple accounts in order to stay busy. Work many times ran out.
Very disappointing company
Speech Scientist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 15, 2019
As speech and language technology rose in prominence over the past 10 years, Nuance squandered many opportunities, primarily due to mismanagement and a culture that tolerated, and even encouraged, infighting and internal competitions that undermined product development.
Tough company to work for, loved working at home, lots of out of work situations, lots of lay-offs, Company restructuring.
Medical Language Specialist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAMarch 10, 2019
Horrible company. Systematically made wages as low as requiring Minimum Wage Supplemental: Started as an "acquisition" at hourly rate, promised primary account with 1 secondary for OOW (out of work) as well as a pay period hourly on new account. None of that happened, went to horrendous line count rate, multiple accounts/dictators with bizarre pay grid and QA program. Quickly became editor on eScription at 4 cents a line. No way to earn decent living on their QA and grid which means one mistake (you hear 120/80, then hear 130/80 = critical error) knocked off grid and at horrendously low wages for that entire pay period. I was "credentialed" with 35+ years experience and had embarrassingly low pay checks.

Run fast, run hard, look away, never ever work for Nuance !!!!!!!

P.S. Left my field of medical transcription after 37 years full time due to: Electronic patient record, voice recognition/Dragon and outsourcing to foreign competition by Nuance (India).

NUANCE SUCKS
Pros
Working at home is the ONLY pro for this company.
Cons
Horrendous wages, horrible QA program and pay grid, multiple bosses, just horrible
enjoyed being afforded the opportunity to work at home as a virtual employee
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MA 01803March 6, 2019
A typical work day at Nuance was calm and informative. Any time I needed assistance, management was always just a phone call or instant message away. The hardest part of my job were the English second language dictators. As well the most enjoyable aspect of my job with Nuance was the benefit of choosing my work hours for the week.
Pros
working from home
Cons
use of accrued PTO to stay in weekly hour compliance
This was a stay at home job
supervisor Andrea Topolewski; dates (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30328February 26, 2019
Not applicable for a review, due to this being a 'stay at home Mom job'. No review available. I did enjoy working for this company from home, however.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Low pay, long, long hours...
Scribe (Former Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 26, 2019
I worked as a scribe for iscribes for about 6 months. I enjoyed working from home as a scribe. However, I felt like the company was unorganized. My team leader (boss) had less education and training than I did. I am a nurse, with medical coding training. My boss was a nursing assistant. You are required to scribe charts within a certain time frame. However, some of the doctors you are assigned (like the ones I was assigned) upload 30-60 charts late at night. It is almost impossible to scribe that many charts at night in the amount of time they give you. Pay is low for amount of work you're doing. They are constantly changing the way they want you to scribe charts and find errors in the charts no matter how perfect you try to type them. Appears there is little room for advancement.
Pros
Work from home, no commute, no work attire
Cons
Low pay, long hours, inexperienced bosses, etc.
Nuance Transcription Services Review
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAFebruary 20, 2019
A great company to gain experience and build on skillsets and seek promotion from within the company. Management position hours can be unpredictable at times and with continual restructuring within the company, layoffs have become more frequent in the last few years.
Great job!!
Installation Programmer I (Former Employee) –  Polk City, FLFebruary 19, 2019
I liked working remotely and the team of people that I worked with. I enjoyed developing code and logic that would help people on a daily basis.Just wish I had the job.
Pros
Working remotely
Cons
Getting job eliminated to an offshore team.
good employer
MT (Former Employee) –  Home BasedFebruary 15, 2019
no complaints. good management, flexible with work schedule. continuously learned new platforms and various specialties which can help in furthering of my career
I worked with intelligent, driven people who wanted to improve the product
Technical Publication Manager (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAFebruary 15, 2019
I worked from home for the past 7 years, and managed a team in India. The work/life balance was good, but the monthly software release schedule was aggressive. However, my team and I were driven to improve the product, and deliver on schedule, which we did all the time.
Pros
Able to share ideas and make improvements.
Cons
Stated outsourcing a lot of jobs to India
stressful
MEDICAL LANGUAGE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  New York StateFebruary 13, 2019
Bad pay and expectations. Not a great place to work. Threw new accounts at you that you were unfamiliar with and deducted money from your pay based on your ability to understand them. Sent alot of work to India, Overseas rather than keep it in the country.
Work at home
Medical Language Specialist (Former Employee) –  Remote work from homeFebruary 5, 2019
Nuance was a wonderful company to work for, unfortunately, after a cyber virus attack a lot of the work was outsourced and most of the transcription team let go with severance packages.
Pros
A standard schedule
Cons
I got laid of because of cyber bullies.
Not impressed
Medical Language Specialist/Editor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAJanuary 29, 2019
At the very beginning of my employment with Nuance I enjoyed the work and the people I worked with. As I continued I realized that I was only a number and no one really cared.
A monster company.
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 16, 2019
A horrible place to work. Qa is insane, specifically looking to dock pay of already low paid workers. Work consistently hard to find. A soul-deprived company!
Not a good place for advancement
Radiology Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAJanuary 16, 2019
When the company was small, it was a good place to work. The more the company merged with other, larger companies, there were more workers and less work. A select few were given a surplus of work, while others were left without, and any complaints were ignored by superiors/managers.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Work not split equitably among employees
Do not work here
MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAJanuary 12, 2019
Out of all of the transcription jobs I have had, this was hands down THE WORST. The manager I had was a nasty piece of work. The company did everything possible to prevent you from making an honest living including taking $100-200 off your paycheck if you made ONE MISTAKE. This horrid company was even forced to discontinue hiring in California and some other states because they were VIOLATING LABOR LAWS. McDonald's is preferable to this place.
Don’t waste your time.
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 9, 2019
Management treats employees poorly. Immediate layoffs notified by recorded teleconference with immediate loss of benefits. Poor pay and medical insurance. Minimal paid time off. Poor training of new accounts.
Pros
The transcriptionists are a nice group as well as the supervisors and lead team.
Cons
Quantity over quality which leads to many errors in patient’s charts.
Worked there over a decade ago
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MAJanuary 4, 2019
I had a contracted job at Nuance over 10 years ago working on a project to improve voice recognition dictation software. I had technically been hired by a company that Nuance had just acquired, so it was a bit of a transition period. I don't have much to say about the experience given the circumstances.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nuance. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Nuance.

Powered by Comparably