Nuance Employee Reviews

I worked part-time doing basic admin tasks. Good pay, flexible hours
HR Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAApril 24, 2018
I worked at Nuance Communications a few instance because I had a family member recommend me to work there. I helped with part-time admin or odd jobs. It was a good job for a young worker, in college or recently graduated. This job was not normally advertised.
Pros
Great facilities, friendly co-workers
Cons
Part-time, Tasks were very repetitive
Terrible place to work
Quality Assurance Editor (Former Employee) –  RemoteApril 19, 2018
No one knows what's going on day to day. Not enough information. Jumping around constantly in a pool of 100+ accounts, never knowing where to go next, running out of work. Constantly under a microscope. Terrible pay.
No teamwork, micromanaging instead.
Quality Control, Medical Language Specialist (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZApril 12, 2018
I run out of work often and there is no additional work available outside assigned account(s). No room for advancement. Low pay but good benefits. I have been doing this for 38 years so nothing really to learn from working for a particular company. They used to stress TEAM-work but that stopped. There are extremely rare team calls, and most of them are informational calls (some even recorded) with no question/answer time. The most enjoyable part of the job has been knowing I contribute to patient care.
Pros
Work in in-home office so no commuting.
Cons
Low pay and stressful audio files.
It was good at the beginning, but fell off a cliff at the end.
medical transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAApril 10, 2018
It was trying. I was laid off in January of this year. In the 6 months before that, I had 3 transcription platforms I worked on disappear due to technical issues. I lost my primary account and was switched between platforms and accounts several times before I was laid off. That's not a good situation to be in.
Good in that you were not assigned too many different accounts so that familiarity made production better,
MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST/EDITOR (Former Employee) –  RemoteApril 10, 2018
Overall the company was okay but after work contracts were lost due to cyber attack it was unable to supply enough work for all full time employees thus decision for layoffs.
Pros
Small account lists.
Cons
Too many MTs on the same accounts and distribution of work types according to work schedule.
Would never work for this company again
Medical Language Specialist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAApril 9, 2018
The basically want you to work for less than minimum wage in a career field that you have almost 3 decades of experience in. Nuance wants you to quit so they can use cheaper, out of the country employees.
Worst company ever. They absolutely do not care about their employees. Constantly found ways to cut pay.
Medical Language Specialist/Editor (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLApril 5, 2018
Terrible, period. So I have to write 150 minimum characters ok here goes, worst management, constantly looking for ways to dock pay, use 'scare' tactics to try to get employees to comply.
Pros
Cons
Constantly cutting pay, disappearing work load, rude, high pressure management
Do not recommend this employer
Senior Director (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMarch 30, 2018
Change desperately needed - top layer of management needs to be replaced, no longer a tech leader, can't trust managers, most employees are searching for other jobs and consistently talk about how toxic the work environment is
April 10, 2018

Thank you for your review on Nuance. It is unfortunate that you had this type of experience as a Leader at Nuance. We hope you shared how you felt with HR prior to leaving.

Stressful and not enough work provided
Medical Transcriptionist/Editor (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIMarch 24, 2018
Stressful. Paid by line, but not always enough work and not able to make it up. Kept shifting work times and different hospitals, difficult to plan ahead for outings and had to spend time verifying work formatting as each hospital had their own formatting requirements.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
PTO had to be used for lack of work and to cover sick time
Excellent work, atrocious compensation
Tech (Former Employee) –  RemoteMarch 24, 2018
Nuance was great for my ability to expand my skill set. I was promoted 4 times and gained fantastic experience. However, Nuance drastically underpaid all employees for the level of work expected. As per Glassdoor, when I left I was earning 40% below market value for my level of expertise and experience, and I know I wasn't the only one.
Pros
Open advancement, ability to make a real difference
Cons
Terrible compensation (very low pay and mediocre benefits via the market)
Horrible
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  HomeMarch 17, 2018
Nuance Communications was a horrible place to work. Employees are not taken care of and hard work is not appreciated at all. I would not recommend this company to anyone.
The company has great benefits but they are going through major growing pains.
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAMarch 7, 2018
There are may benefits to working for a Nuance. Most of the people you work with are collaborative and create a fun yet efficient working atmosphere. The company has been going through major growing pains for quite some time now. They have grown their business by acquiring many companies, but have not merged them into the Nuance culture well.
Pros
People, flexible work environment
Cons
Too many to list
March 14, 2018

Thank you for your review and feedback on Nuance. It's good to see you are experiencing collaboration within your division. That's important to us. Like many other companies that get acquired, there is a period of change and shitfing. HR is focused on making sure the company is all one and this is great feedback to share with them specifically for the Georgia office.

Misguided Management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 2, 2018
I worked as a manager for my entire time a Nuance and felt that there was no real direction. I tried numerous times to set direction and was told I was not playing well with others by expecting them to actually write down and measure their goals. The evaluation and raise process along with the titles are completely broken. Your evaluation as a manager seems to be completely unmeasured as goals are not pushed down until 4 to 6 months after the year starts and then there are no real measurements. This leads to the good ole boy club of business management! They also have scheduled lay-offs twice a year on in March/April and one in September/October. If you came from a company that they acquired/merged with you are normally laid off as soon as they think they don't want to pay for your expertise. Even if the lay off costs them a significant amount of money they just make excuses to the customers/clients and make promises they will never keep!
Pros
reasonable pay if you are needed
Cons
Health and drug insurance is cheap and is a pain, lay offs twice a year keep things in real turmoil and goals are rarely set or met
March 7, 2018

Thank you for sharing your review. It is unfortunately your experience with us was so negative and we hope you shared with your manager or HR how you felt before your departure. Like any large company, layoffs do occur.

Productive and nice learning
Application Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLMarch 1, 2018
Was nice to learn here. Although pressure was bit more, but team worked well together, and some cool technologies and speech recognition to learn.

I would recommend.
March 7, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience with Nuance. We're glad to see you enjoyed the cool products.

No comment
JavaScript/Web Developer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 27, 2018
The job was not as described in the description. I was hired as a software engineer but was more of a consultant. There was a lot of interaction with the client which is fine but not what I signed up for. Alot of stress because of client interaction.
March 7, 2018

Thank you for your review. As a current employee, it is important to us to ensure clarity in all roles. I would recommend you speak to HR confidentially in regards to this matter so we can help resolve this.

Productive, All Business
Facilities Administrator (Current Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAFebruary 27, 2018
Customer meetings, customer phone calls, conference room setups, Oracle iProcurement invoices, security access badges, meet and greet, ordering office supplies, employee requests. I learned about the different cultural backgrounds and how to navigate the language barriers in person or on the phone. Treat others how you want to be treated is what I believe in.
Pros
Great friends
Cons
Health care
Great Management
Project Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAFebruary 23, 2018
I enjoyed working with Nuance, it was a great experience because I learned a lot more about the business world. It was my first IT work-place experience.
March 7, 2018

Thank you for your review. We are happy you enjoyed your time with us!

Positive and Excited Company to work for
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Agoura Hills, CAFebruary 20, 2018
I had a great experience working for Nuance as an Operation Supervisor. My typical workday was fulfilled working with my chat specialists daily. The culture of Nuance is very team-like where everyone is friendly and willing to help out if need be.

I would say at times the hardest part of the job was dealing with situations that we had no control of, for example my team was being measured on their performance base off surveys that customers would take online rating their overall experience. Many of the customers would leave lower survey grades regarding issues that had nothing to do with their experience online with the representatives.

The most enjoyable part of the job was my daily interaction with the sales team and just celebrating in their successes as they strive to continue reach their KPI goals.
Pros
Great and friendly work environment
Cons
too heavily mirco-managed
Starting out was difficult
Medical Language Specialist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAFebruary 15, 2018
Required to clock in and out on a weekly schedule. Pay is based on line work production and was lacking with the most difficult dictators and recording issues. Extremely critical and picky QA. During my 5-year employment, supervisor turnover was frequent and communication poor. Without communication, our team was switched from a group we were familiar with to an entirely new group of dictators, which slowed production and decreased pay.
Pros
Pride in work quality
Cons
Less than optimal communication
Great technology and great environment
Federal Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAFebruary 14, 2018
I was with Nuance for over 12 years and met someone of the best people I've ever worked with. They provide a great environment and are eager to promote from within. Great technology too.
March 7, 2018

Thank you for your feedback and we are happy to hear you enjoyed your time with Nuance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nuance. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

3.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight