Nucor Employee Reviews

some issues but mostly good.
crane tender (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, UTAugust 17, 2018
Company was great, most people were great. Some people in management roles should never have been in those positions. Good pay, good benefits, good culture.
busy and productive
Stacker/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Grapeland, TXAugust 16, 2018
productive and great pay for surrounding areas. you learn wedding skills plus team working skills. the hardest part to me, was the weather. most enjoyable part was the pay.
Pros
pay
Cons
short breaks
Project Coordinator
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Terrell, TXAugust 15, 2018
I have worked here for 2 years. Coming to this company with no outside experience in the metal building industry, it was a steep learning curve to gain knowledge of how customers and the company like to operate. Training for anyone without Nucor experience is practically non-existent. If you have metal building experience, this is a great place to work. If you don't, then I would recommend looking somewhere else.
Pros
Good pay for performance, team culture, strong corporate profit sharing.
Cons
Don't screw up or they will show you the door, don't tell customers the truth about how the current capacity of the production plant, or risk the wrath of the higher ups for being a non BS type when engaging those customers
Fun
Intern (Former Employee) –  Jewett, TXAugust 13, 2018
A lot of cool equipment. There are a lot of processes in steel making that are fascinating. This company had the best culture of anyone I ever worked for. They care about employees
Fantastic Company to Work For
Rolling Mill Operator (Former Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILAugust 10, 2018
Although I was only employed at Nucor for a year, I enjoyed my time working there and I still think very highly of this company and how they compensate and take care of their employees. I only left when I was contacted to go back to an old job that was offering me more money and the chance to go back to school to attain my ATP certification. I would highly recommend Nucor for anyone thinking of getting into manufacturing.
Hard work but good benefits
Certified Welder (Former Employee) –  Swansea, SCAugust 9, 2018
Nucor is not easy work but there are opportunities for training. I was able to earn my Welding certification during my time at Nucor. The hardest part of the job was there is no temperature control. The summer is extremely hot especially for welders. The most enjoyable part of the job during my tenure was the learning experience. I gained a tremendous amount of knowledge in the Steel Industry. The company as a whole was good to the workers.
Pros
Profit sharing and bonuses
Cons
No temperature control
Productive and fun place to work with at Nucor
Maintenance Coordinator / General Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 8, 2018
Great and motivated people to work with. You will learn a lot about the rebar and flat bar industry. VPP Safety Program which provides you up to date Safety Rules and Regulations with OSHA.
Pros
Benefits and Salary
Cons
Hot and Dirty Environment
Job was fun, people and management were not qualified to do their jobs
Mechanical Millwright (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 3, 2018
Nucor was a great place to learn. The work shifts are at least 12 hours. I worked several times where the next shift mechanic didn't show up for work and i was expected to stay his shift as well. I worked as long as 22 hours in a row on more than one occasion.

The management was promoted by who was the biggest brown-noser, not by who was most qualified to do the job. This made the managers completely useless. Everyone was out to get each other.

Safety is a joke program there. They are a VPP Star Site and it should be taken away from them. They use the safety program as a crutch and a way to get people in trouble rather than actually caring about their safety and getting them home at the end of the day.
Pros
great pay, good benefits
Cons
long hours, chaotic work environment.
Great Company to Work for Depending on Division
Chemical Analysis Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 3, 2018
Birmingham, AL Division - Great company to work for, but the Birmingham division is very up and down though. Management makes very questionable calls at times and just because you go out of your way to help them, doesn't mean they will return the favor. Require you to work swing shifts and results in extreme difficulty maintaining a normal life. Great pay with how little manual labor that is involved in most jobs, as well as great benefits. This division of Nucor is awful at taking the considerations of how managerial decisions effect the lives of their employees. Furthermore, its really about who you know at this place when it comes to advancement and your overall treatment as an employee. If the employees' overall best interest, including the affect of decisions made on their personal lives, were truly taken into consideration, and if every employee had the same considerations for job advancement and placement, rather than being based on how good of friends you are with certain people or supervisors, it would be a great place to be... except for the swing shifts that is. Never the less, that is not the case here. It is still a fairly good place to work, but there is no question, Nucor Steel Birmingham has more than plenty of room for improvement, even after the new GM was hired at the beginning of 2018.
Pros
good pay & benefits, stable company, great job security
Cons
no breaks or lunches, 12 hour swing shifts, unfair job placement, advancements, & scheduling, inconsiderate & questionable managerial decisions
It was okay
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Ghent, KYAugust 2, 2018
It was okay, I was only there for part Time, we did different maintenance things everyday, like cleaning, sand blasting, cleaning oil spills and keeping a safe work place.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
Low hourly pay
Productive and fast-paced job with extremely hard working people
Shift Electrician I, II, III, V (Current Employee) –  Cofield, NCAugust 2, 2018
Nucor is a great place to work. We make the best steel in the world and no one comes close to our quality. I'm in the maintenance department as an electrician and when we aren't out on the floor fixing something we are working on our own personal projects for Nucor or developing our skills as electricians/programmers/automation engineers. We work four, 12-hour swing shifts followed by four days off. The night shifts are rough but if you're up to the challenge you can make a lot of money in a short amount of time. Excellent place to work
Pros
Lots of autonomy, raises based on knowledge, EXCELLENT pay, 4 days off in a row every other 4 days
Cons
12-hour shifts, Night shifts, hard work-home balance
productive and fun eviroment
Hydroblaster (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 26, 2018
very good but very hot long hours but a real good pay when you hang in there then paid over which is great and they are not holding back they also have food trucks that come to you on break all types of food..
Awesome Banefits/Livable Salary
IT Technician (Current Employee) –  Swansea, SCJuly 25, 2018
Great people with awesome benefits. Doctor onsite 4 days a week, Chiropractor and massage therapist one day a week.
The workplace culture can not be topped anywhere! You do have to do your job, but everyone who works here would have your back, no matter what.
Benefits
Cons
communication
Great employee benefits.
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Swansea, SCJuly 24, 2018
Great management in a fast paced office with a variety of duties. The most difficult part of the job was getting phone coverage. Phone coverage was needed for breaks, lunch, meetings and vacation.
Pros
Being able to greet the public and having a variety of job duties.
Cons
lack of phone coverage for lunch, breaks, meetings and vacation.
Strong Company Culture
Product Engineer (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 24, 2018
Nucor is a secure company to work for within the metals manufacturing space. They are constantly growing through M&A which creates opportunities for individuals to grow within Nucor. Since each division is different and they prefer promotion from within, this makes it difficult to jump between product groups. A majority of opportunities are mill based ( not in the best of locations). They have a lean management which is great, but that also means there are not a lot of growth positions for various roles (not all). Strong leadership culture, long hiring process (a good thing), lots of decision making freedom, great teams.
Hard work traded for good compensation and growth opportunity.
OPERATIONS (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 16, 2018
A typical day of work in production is coming into whatever situation you have been presented by the previous crew and adjusting on the fly to ensure that we continue to make tons of steel with safety being the main priority.

Learned the business of steel making from the base level, beginning at the furnace all the way to the intricacies of how the business operates.

Decentralized management allows team members to provide input and assist the team as a whole.

Workplace culture is focused on safety and teamwork.

The hardest parts of the job is the harsh environment (especially the heat), physicality, and work/life balance.

The most enjoyable part of the job is having a level of control as to your income (based on production), working as a team, and the feeling of pride at the end of a hard day of work. Also, our current schedule allows us 7 consecutive days off each month.
Pros
Compensation, and job security.
Cons
Harsh environment, swing shifts which make work/life balance difficult.
Nucor
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Maryville, MOJuly 10, 2018
Great company to work for, management takes as much responsibility for the success of the company as a whole. Most companies talk about teamwork but Nucor embodies teamwork.
Engineering Intern
Beam Mill Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Huger, SCJune 22, 2018
The work was challenging and most employees were respectful. The machinery was impressive and it is definitely a one of a kind place to work. Pays very well but is very dangerous.
Pros
High Pay
Cons
Dirty and Hard
Excellent management team.
Additive Manufacturing Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 20, 2018
Lean management structure with unlimited freedom (at all levels of seniority) to implement creative solutions to production. Ability to actually create new positions within corporate and local business locations.
Pros
Lean management structure
Cons
Expanding population in Seattle area led to unsustainable commute times.
Contractor at Nucor
Contractor and Welder (Former Employee) –  Blytheville, ARJune 19, 2018
I enjoyed being a contractor at Nucor Yamato Steel. The pay was excellent, I got along with everyone, and it was close to home. I got to use my welding skills at this job as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nucor. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.6

2.8Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight