Nugget Market, Inc. Employee Reviews

It's just okay
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Davis, CAJanuary 31, 2019
I dislike working here because of management. They expect you to bend over backward for them, even if you tell them school is a priority. They only really care about profit yet disguise it as a culture of caring for your community and peers. It's all a facade once you see past it, everyone who works here is miserable. I think the worst part is that everything is completely overpriced and the discount is practically chump change.

I suppose it's an okay job for someone only works and hopes to advance in the future. However, if you're a student, the best position is probably a Courtesy Clerk, which even then sucks because you're basically the backbone of the store while getting paid the least.

Honestly, I am usally pretty positive person who can see the bright side in every situation, but Nugget Markets managment needs some serious renovation.

The favoritism shows. You're guilted into working more hours although you specify you can only work a certain amount. You're guilted when your request days off or vacation days.

If you want to work hard, go unnoticed, and you love brownnosing, THIS IS THE JOB FOR YOU!
Pros
Accrued paid time off, health benefits
Cons
Not flexible with scheduling
This job sucks
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Novato, CADecember 23, 2018
i wouldn't want anyone to waste any more of their precious time working for a company who doesn't appreciate the workers hard work, ability to come in on time, doing what they paid for and overall management are unfair, play favorites like it's family time and not at all professional. No benefits for employees which is against the law and this company should just shut down completely. I've learned nothing from this money hungry company who dont care for them employees and customers.
Pros
no bad
Cons
no benefits, lack in organization, pay rate and people's time
December 31, 2018

We are very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your experience working with us. We are proud of the generous benefits package that we offer our associates as it is just one of the many reasons we have been listed on Fortune's Top 100 Best Places to Work for 13 consecutive years. If you have any other feedback or insights, please feel free to reach out to our Director of Human Resources, Mary Muller, at mary.muller@nuggetmarket.com so that we can learn more.

High on the horse
Jr. Sous Production Chef (Former Employee) –  Corte Madera, CANovember 22, 2018
Worst experience of my life. Hired as a Chef never handed the tools to succeed. Most over micro managed environment. More chiefs than peons. Second only to Whole Foods. . Typical Latino mafia kitchen. Even though I'm used to that that, this was far worse. Never had a job description. Was a strange point system to food production that was arranged by off site chef. Again worst job I ever had.
Pros
Benifits if you conform
Cons
So many
November 28, 2018

We truly appreciate your feedback, and we are sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your experience. It is our goal to create an environment that is fun, inspiring, and authentic. If you have other details or insights you’d like to share, we welcome a conversation. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to our Director of Human Resources, Mary Muller at mary.muller@nuggetmarket.com as we hope to learn from every opportunity.

Fun Place To Work!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Corte Madera, CASeptember 10, 2018
Nugget Market was a great company to work for. They provided an enjoyable experience for the workers and let us know how much they appreciated us! They set an industry standard that many of their competitors lack but are most likely shifting towards becoming a company such as Nugget!
Pros
Great Company
Cons
Lack of wage advancement.
High paced working enviroment.
Cook (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 9, 2018
It is a very high paced environment it calls for you to be able to do multiple things and be able to switch up if necessary. You have to be able to stand up for long periods of time and you must be able to work late at night and able to work on the weekends.
Pros
Discounts on food that not to much.
Cons
No chance to move up in the company.
fun place to work
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 9, 2018
One of the best jobs I've ever had, management was great my coworkers were nice it was overall a great working environment. The guest were amazing it was like one big family.
August 10, 2018

We are delighted that you have enjoyed your experience with us! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Fast paced
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Davis, CAAugust 9, 2018
Fast paced and requires you to be on your toes with multitasking. Is a great place for people who are driven and self starters and believing in being "all in"
Fun and energetic environment
Coffee bar (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAJuly 13, 2018
Fun and relaxed environment for the most part, gets busy at peak times Guest service is essential to working there and is the majority of the job. Many different departments to promote to
Pros
Pay, benefits
August 10, 2018

Thank you so much for the feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and best of luck on your future endeavors!

Fun place to work through college
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Woodland, CAJune 4, 2018
Nugget Market has a very positive culture and is a fun place to work. Management prefers to promote from within, so it is definitely a place that allows for career advancement.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Unfair scheduling for newer people
Favouritism is 100 here
Night Crew Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cameron Park, CAMay 25, 2018
Need to call out? No problem you won't get fired
Hard worker? They'll need you to work harder.

If you're a lazy worker you'll be rewarded with the hours of harder working people. Sound too good to be true? Apply and see for yourself
Pros
You dont have to wear chains while you work
Cons
Too many to count
May 29, 2018

We appreciate you taking the time to offer feedback, but we are sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your experience. If you are willing, we would like the opportunity to find out more about your concerns. Please feel free to reach out to our Director of Human Resources, Mary Muller at mary.muller@nuggetmarket.com so that we may get more details. Thank you.

Great management, great coworkers, great environment
Night Crew Associate (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAApril 17, 2018
Everyone was direct, professional, and cared genuinely about doing a good job to the best of their ability. Employees were prioritized and looked after, while simultaneously pushed to do their jobs as well as possible.
Pros
Free food occasionally
Cons
Working at night is difficult
Good place to work locally
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tiburon, CAMarch 30, 2018
Nugget is a good place to work locally but it is common for stores to have difficulty sourcing workers from the surrounding area. Some of my coworkers drove nearly 2 hours each way. While Nugget does a good job fostering a positive working environment, it does a poor job compensating workers based on their previous experience.
Amazing place, sad to have left
Baker (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAFebruary 17, 2018
Nugget markets was an amazing place to work. The only reason I left was because of the lack of advancement as a baker. Could move up to manager then would have no progression.
Most of the people are fun and positive, some, not so much.
Night Stocking Clerk (Current Employee) –  Woodland, CAFebruary 12, 2018
I typical day for me was pulling out the load, sorting thru it and putting it on the shelf. I faced the rest of the store unless I was assigned to fill the water. The workplace culture is very employee based and customer service is top priority. It's a small chain compared to Safeway so some things are different and some things seem to be not as important. Scheduling was an issue for a while. The schedule wasn't always posted when it was supposed to be so you had to ask to get it. The store director at my location was always positive and was honest in his feedback. The hardest part of the job was when someone called in sick and you had to still get all the expectations accomplished which was a challenge at times. The reason I'm looking for another job is I'm also in the process of starting a personal training business and working nights makes it difficult and it also interferes with home life with the family.
Great Place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  CAFebruary 5, 2018
I do like my co workers and look forward to work each day.
If you work hard and are a honest person, you will do well at Nugget Markets. Some store are better than others!
Pros
Culture, Rave
Cons
low pay
Nugget Markets
Barista (Former Employee) –  Woodland, CAJanuary 19, 2018
Great company to work for. They give you free money sometimes if you win it in drawings. Very good employee culture. Overall I enjoyed the job thoroughly.
Good Work Environment
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Sacramento, CAJanuary 12, 2018
Nugget has a very friendly environment. The employees, managers and customers were all great. Definitely recommend this job if you are a people person
Wrongfully Terminated
Butcher/Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  West Sacramento, CADecember 28, 2017
The company is full of lies and treachery, they do a wonderful job at hiding it. Don't believe anything they tell you, it's all about the money. You will be replaced by a kid making minimum wage eventually. Never forget that.
Good place to start
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Woodland, CADecember 4, 2017
I was young and had little experience in warehouse work. I grew alot here. I enjoyed the people I worked with and my hours (5am-1pm M-F) The pay was low for the type and amount of work expected. Other than that Nugget is a good place to work!
Pros
Awesome atmosphere and people
Cons
Pay
no opportunity for advancement
Cook (Current Employee) –  Novato, CANovember 25, 2017
They are willing to lose good people and not pay them enough. Ask you to take higher position with no raise they say before giving you a raise you have to working in the new position for three months to see if you can handle it? They don't compensate for your skills and position. Schedules are very unstable it changes every week without notice im sure a lot of employees have appointments made already and family to take care of, when ask if it can be stable they rather take off the schedule. Poor management.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
no advancement, poor management, pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nugget Market, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight