NutriSystem Employee Reviews

Weight Loss Counselor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 1, 2018
Very fast pace work environment,stressful difficult working conditions and unrealistic monthly goals for employees. Hourly pay is below average especially if you are traveling from the city daily.
Overall great place to work for
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Fort Washington, PAJune 13, 2018
Pros:
Excellent earning potential
Great benefits package
Flexible shifts
Building has a lot of amenities

Cons:
Must work weekends
Mandatory overtime during peak diet season
No approved days off from January through March
Sales matrix is the same regardless of shift. However, call feed changes drastically throughout the day
Productive and great learning environment
Escalated call supervisor (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PA 19044May 15, 2018
typical day:Track associates performance through quarterly evaluations and annual review

Learned:Instrumental in improving customer-satisfaction ratings through suggestion, development, and implementation of new reporting procedures.
I
Management:Ensured new and existing associates received coaching, guidance and development.
hardest part of job:attending xmas parties
the most enjoyable part of the job:annual end of year bonuses
Pros
Training of products being sold
Cons
short breaks
May 24, 2018

Thanks for the feedback! We appreciate your time spent as a Manager. Best of luck in your current role.

Great Place to Work
Admin (Current Employee) –  Ft. Washington, PAMay 3, 2018
The culture at Nutrisystem is the best I've ever experienced. Some employees have been here for 30 years - that speaks wonders in itself! The company is great and all of the employees are awesome. Everyone loves to laugh and have fun. Even the C-levels are so down to earth and great to work with. Last but not least, I feel like we are really doing meaningful work and improving people's lives. It's a pleasure coming to work!
Pros
Great facility, amenities & people
May 8, 2018

Thanks for the great feedback! As an employee myself for over 10 years, I agree with the positive company culture and great people. It's a very exciting time at Nutrisystem & very grateful for your contributions!

Temporary Place
Weight Loss Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fort Washington, PAMay 1, 2018
It's an okay place to be for a short term period.
Co-workers are always there to help you, but the management system needs work. There are always miscommunication between each tiers and all the blame falls under you. The metrics are handed to you each week based on 5-6 categories just like getting a report card. You get about 30 min lunch break and two 10 min breaks throughout the workday. Otherwise, you can't leave your desk unless you have an emergency. The times you are in and out of your desk will be accounted for. During Diet Season, which is around Jan-May the call center will be busy with nonstop calls. Calls will be graded and monitored by your Supervisor. Depending on your shift, there is a difference of $1 which doesn't make a huge difference. If you break it down, avg check will be near $2000-$2300 depending on your commissions and your raise. The commission is a joke. You only get 2% of what you sell. There are also silly games that they do to increase your selling, but that is all there to their advantage to increase ROI. Hence why there is a high attrition rate at Nutrisystem. There are no retention. I've seen great counselors leave/quit due to no structure being in place, and ultimately they didn't care that they left. Each body in this building is just a number and you have to be willing to accept that. They let people go and let them in easily. Also, you must work one day out of the weekend. You can request to change your schedule, but the approval process will take a long time.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Supervisors
May 8, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. Since you've identified as a current employee, I would highly recommend you share your concerns with your Supervisor or the Director of the department. Our Leadership team encourages an Open Door policy for any concerns you may have.

Regarding the pay, the commission in the Counseling group is lower due to the fact your primary goal is to provide counseling support to the customers & you are provided with a strong base hourly rate. It's always important for us to be up-selling and informing our customers of products in each call. If you are looking for more commissions, the Sales team is 100% commission & has a higher earning potential. Make sure to talk to your Supervisor about that option!

Absolutely loved this job.
Weight Loss Counselor (Current Employee) –  Fort Washington, PAApril 1, 2018
Great work environment, great pay, lots of encouragement and support. The hardest part of the job is handling escalated customer interactions. I only left because I needed to relocate.
May 3, 2018

Thanks so much for the great review. We wish you success in the future!

Customer Service Supervisor
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Washington, PAMarch 27, 2018
Ok Place to work. High paced call center. Attendance is a top priority for the call center and employees are consistently gauged on performance standards.
May 8, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, we do stress attendance and performance standards. We make it a priority that all reps are clear on their performance standings and are given all opportunities to be successful in their role.

We wish you much success in your new position!

Productive and fun work place
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Fort Washington, PAMarch 26, 2018
- Typical 8 hour shifts.
- Management is very helpful.
- Mandatory overtime.
- I learned how to close sales on inbound and retention calls.
- Company covers lunch and gives away prizes for employees when goals are met.
Pros
Paid well
Cons
Short breaks
May 8, 2018

Thanks for your feedback! Best of luck in your current role!

Customer Service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAMarch 21, 2018
I learned how to talk to members about there weight loss, and understand what makes them want to eat. And what I learned the most was top listen to the members wants and needs.
Pros
Lunch time
Cons
management
May 14, 2018

Thank you for your feedback! I'm so happy you were able to engage with our customers and help them reach their weight loss goals. I wish you the best in your current role.

Decent Place
Senior Media Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Washington, PAFebruary 11, 2018
It's been a while but the pay was great and you learn a lot while working in the fast paced, demanding environment. Not sure what the culture is currently, I haven't worked there in years.
May 14, 2018

Thank you for your feedback! I'm so please that you had a positive experience. Best of luck in your current role.

Watched like a hawk... and absolutely no job security
Sales/Retention/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort Washington, PAFebruary 11, 2018
Working there is a complete numbers game... if you do not make their very specific numbers... you are released immediately... the sales techniques are somewhat unethical in my opinion... even if you are a reliable employee and have potential... you have 90 days to make their numbers... if you do not you are released. The phone system for dispatching calls was never explained properly... no matter how many times I requested the information... the sales numbers required were never explained during the hiring/interview stage or the training stage... it was not until you were put onto the phone and floor the numbers were better explained.
I was coached... when I received a phone call and the person asked if we took food stamps... I explained we did not... and I let the call go... I was later told just because they are on food Stamps... does not mean they do not have a credit card... to me that is somewhat unethical and not the person I am...
Benefits
Cons
No job security
May 14, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. Being a sales driven company, we are a very metrics driven. Metrics expectations are shared up front during the interview process, as well as through the onboarding & training period. Our metrics are very attainable and you are given every opportunity to meet your goals. We work off a 90 day average, so there is plenty of opportunity for improvement for people who want to improve. We evaluate metrics throughout the year to ensure they are appropriate based on our call volume. Less than 5% of our employees have been terminated for not being able to meet their metrics. We wish you luck in your current role!

Great Temporary Job
Weight Loss Counselor (Current Employee) –  Fort Washington, PAFebruary 7, 2018
This is a get in and get out kind of job. It is difficult to build relationships with coworkers due to the demands of clients on the phone. Your breaks are a good place to build relationships, but after being so long on the phone with multiple clients it leaves you burned out and just wanting silence. The company promotes healthy living and getting up and moving; however, the job requires you stationed to your phone to take all inbound calls for 8hrs each day.
I learned how to better communicate on the phone and work independently. Management is there for questions, but it is mainly up to you to handle the situations as they arise.You have a lot of support though from coworkers and management, and there a plenty of resources at your finger tips.
Con is the demands the company started asking for. You have to hit numbers each week and each month. Management is really good however at working with you to improve your scores and make you a more effective counselor.
Hardest part of the job are the busy times when your on the phone all day. You have to have a real love helping people or you won't make it past the first month. You need patience too because many clients deserve the time. They are trying to better their lives, but some people need a lot more help than others.
Most enjoyable part of the job when you get that client that is really thankful for your knowledge and patience with them. Or when they go all out just to tell you how much they appreciate you.
Pros
pay
Cons
isolated

Comment – May 14, 2018

Thanks for the feedback. We agree, this role is best suited for people who love helping and are highly empathetic. It's a great part of the job when you are able to coach a customer to weight loss success! Please make sure you are speaking to your Supervisor about career goals & what you'd like to be doing at Nutrisystem.

Work place with gym
INSIDE SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Fort Washington, PAFebruary 5, 2018
stressful job but rewarding if call volume sustains. Upper management should interact more with employees. Over all, great place to work at and gain experience.
Pros
free lunches, great environment
Cons
no career advancement
May 14, 2018

Thanks for the feedback! We encourage you to chat with your Supervisor about your career goals. We do post all opening Internally, so we are happy to review any current positions.

Very bad experience
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Washington, PAJanuary 27, 2018
Simply, there is no company that I have encountered that operates and behaves like this company. The company sees you as a 'thing' who they pay and they expect 100% obedience in return. There are many rules governing behavior at work and they are enforced vigorously.

The culture is negative and it leads to lots of stress. Additionally, they expect you to work more than 40 hours. The workload is over the top and the expectation is that you complete it accurately in a very short period of time. This leads to stress, mistakes and eventually you are resigned to your fate and rebel, at least that is what I did.

You know what floats down hill and it really happens here as Upper Management leans hard on middle management and they lean hard on the employee. You feel like I mentioned devalue ed and demoralized.
Pros
Non that I can think of, decent cafeteria
Cons
Stress, Management, Upper Management
May 24, 2018

I'm sorry your experience was not more positive at Nutrisystem. We do encourage current employees to discuss any dissatisfaction they have, before they choose to "rebel." We do offer an Open Door policy from the entire Leadership and HR team. I hope you love your new role! Thank you for your time at Nutrisystem!

Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAJanuary 21, 2018
OK place to work, industry standard average pay, good benefits. Understandably extremely busy after the holidays and before the summer. Food quality control meaures may have been improved by now.
Pros
If interested - discounted food
Cons
Mandatory overtime, very busy

Comment – May 14, 2018

Thanks for the feedback! Please note, mandatory is not overtime, but often available during our busiest time of year. Overtime = Extra $$!

Terrible experience
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fort Washington, PAJanuary 10, 2018
This is a lower tier company where management uses threats to motivate employees. There is a also a lot of snitching and backstabbing that goes on among-st the employees. While most employees are nice, there seems to be a mole in every cubicle row that will snitch and tell management if you 'step out of line'. Stepping out of line is basically a minor offense like 'leaving 5 minutes early on a snow day" or "making a dr appt from your cube (you need to do this stuff from a break room" I have even scene managers jump down an employees throat for looking at text message on their phone.

Nutrisystems seems to attract a sort of marginalized type of worker. For example, A person living in an area where there are not many jobs will be willing to commute 90 minutes each way because there are no jobs in the middle of the state. It also attracts 50+ year old type people who were laid off from a better company because their salary was too high. They are at this point of their career just happy to find a job.

Other workers I encountered were in a lot of debt and some were even working this job along with a full time job at night.

These types of workers seems to be ok with the tight culture, but for most people I would recommend staying away and finding a better culture.

With respect to management it is disorganized and chaotic. Managers are poorly trained and under tremendous pressure from upper management.

You need to be careful if you want to work here. If you are on the phones, you will be very closely monitored and a percentage of your conversations are
  more... 'spied' on by either your supervisors or quality assurance. The environment is tightly controlled. If you have other options then take them. Only take a position here if you are desperate and keep your options open. Also be prepared to work holidays, weekends and in a blizzard. These are ultimatums handed down during busy periods like 'diet season'  less
Pros
Some of your co workers are nice and interesting people
Cons
Culture is toxic, Environment is chaos and management is untrained and at times brutal
Stay Away
Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fort Washington, PAJanuary 5, 2018
Part of the problem is that the product they sell is a scam. Food is unhealthy, people lose weight because of portion control then when they go off of it they gain the weight back. They spend tons of money and time doing ad spots targeting misguided people who don't understand that health is a lifestyle, not a gimmick.

A typical day is stress stress stress. Company measures every second of your time. Management gives you very little direction or support. Management is also terrified of upper management. Outward or implied threats are thrown down every day.

Most days cannot even take a lunch break. You may get in trouble for taking your lunch break. Some employees will rat on you if you make a personal call.

Culture is one of complete control, like I mentioned every second of your day if you are on the phones is measured and quantified. QA will listen to your phones and rat you out. Turnover is thru the roof.

If you don't mind total authoritarian control you will be fine. If you like Independence, creativity, time to complete your work right, a manager who supports you and your family time then this is not the right place for you.
Pros
Cons
Culture, product, management, food
Stressful atmosphere, bad work/life balance
Customer Service Rep 1 (Current Employee) –  Fort Washington, PAJanuary 4, 2018
7 minute grace period to log on phones. If late or need to leave even for unforeseen circumstances it counts against you. It’s easy to accumulate points towards termination. You get rated low for restroom breaks over 3 mins. If you don’t cross sell you get scored low. Even if customers say financial hardship, you must sell.
Cons
Short breaks, strict attendance policy
May 17, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, we do have a strict attendance policy. It's important that we have the right amount of people on the phones to properly handle phone calls & so your peers are not over-extended. With proper communication and planning, we do our best to work with each situation. We offer shift swaps, shift slides, & 14 days of Paid time off in the first year. Unfortunately, people want to try to get more then these generous options. If you have concerns, please openly communicate with your Manager & they will do their best to help your situation.

Company making poor decisions
Sales Representative- Nutrisystem (Current Employee) –  Fort Washington, PAJanuary 2, 2018
The past year the company is making one bad decision after another. Majorly on the marketing side. Many employees leave very quickly after hitting the floor. The company over hired and thus hurting current employees. They have over 46 reps on the floor this year and the conversion rate is under 30%. Many of us getting very nervous and for myself I need to get my ducks in a row. Not a good time to join this company. I hope it changes. Trying to hang in, I am one of the top reps on the floor in my first year with the company.
Pros
benefits and you use to make good money here.
Cons
Poor management decisions, taking any time off is frowned upon.
May 16, 2018

Thanks for your feedback! We are pleased to see 4 years of consecutive year over year growth at Nutrisystem. While our first few weeks were not a successful as we would have hoped, our Marketing team quickly course corrected & we are now currently operating above the adjusted forecast. I hope that you are committed to Nutrisystem & are performing successfully in the Sales rep!

poor policy
Nutritional Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 16, 2017
the goal was not the patient or patients weight loss it was to convince client to purchase our food. I could not feel good about myself when I learned that was the focus. If you did not sell enough food pkgs, you were warned, then wrote up, then fired
Pros
watching clients lose weight
Cons
selling food number one goal
May 16, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We do ask for any role in the call center to participate in minimal up-selling and cross-selling. We ask for approximately 6% of your calls to be successfully up-sold & we've never terminated anyone based on not meeting this goal (it's only a portion of your metrics). Additionally, it looks like you are based our of St. Louis, where we do not have a location? Regardless, I hope you are in a position that you love! Best of luck!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NutriSystem. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.7Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight