Nuveen Investments Employee Reviews

TIAA review
Business Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 11, 2018
Not a good culture in my experience, one sided, heavy on management side, not taking into consideration employees' recommendations. Very hard to advance internally.
Growing pains
Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 2, 2018
Good work/life balance. Good people, for the most part. The integration into TIAA has really changed the culture. It has also turned a relatively slow moving company, into a VERY slow moving company.
Pros
Decent benefits, good work/life balance
Cons
top-heavy management structure, lack of advancement
Problematic IT Department
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 25, 2018
Nuveen is a great company, however, their IT department is a mess, using older technologies and suffering from poor management. A larger company just bought them out introducing radical changes both in management, bureaucracy, and operations. Again, the company overall is great, but the IT department, particularly Front Office Applications is a disaster.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Poor managment
A challenging and rewarding place to work depending on the people you partner with on initiatives
Director, Operational Risk Management (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 19, 2018
I prefer not to provide a detailed review at this time. The merger between TIAA, the parent entity, and Nuveen was challenging at times due to the duplication of effort that needed to be streamlined in some cases.
Prefer not to provide review right now
Operational Risk Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 19, 2018
I prefer not to provide a detailed review right now. The role I had was both rewarding and challenging at times. For me, it was an opportunity to immerse myself in asset management.
Awesome
Data Integrity Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 12, 2018
Being provided the opportunity to work with a broad range of experienced co-workers and diverse client group. Appreciated the opportunity and enjoyed the experience and supporting and making a positive difference to people in need.
Confdential
Managing Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 19, 2018
The value I bring is broad experience spanning all core business functions with a primary focus on finance. My success is directly attributable to my ability to unify organizations, initiate action, and deliver results.
Pros
confidential
Cons
confidential
Decent place to work
Human Resources Employee (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 14, 2018
Job was mostly enjoyable. Internal controls were good and technology was great! Team that I worked with were collaborative and respectful of everyone's ideas. Leadership within our area had favorites.
Pros
Decent place to work
Cons
Leadership had favorites
Great Benefits and varied culture.
Business / Project Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 3, 2018
Great Benefits and varied culture. Good place to move around if you would like to do so. Difficult to implement change projects. Difficult environment to learn but can be done with hard work.
Relaxed work place
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 5, 2017
Work was stable and steady, with little variation and not a lot of room for advancement. Great people, but a lot of changes in upper management and slow methods to approve changes.
Pros
Low pressure, very flexible
Intellectually Stimulating Work Environment
Closed-End Fund Product Development Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 4, 2017
My work at Nuveen in the Product Development group was always fast-paced and exciting. I felt like I was doing something interesting and different everyday, but never felt overwhelmed by deadlines or pressure. My colleagues are all very smart and conscientious and I learned a lot. There does seem to be a push towards business school if you desire upward mobility, but Nuveen is also supportive in helping cover those costs. All in all the the firm and its employees have a high degree of integrity, intelligence and innovation.
Stressful Environment
SR. BUSINESS/TECHNICAL ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 17, 2017
Come to work and be prepared for deal with lot of mess, and unrealistic expectation in IT. Too much documentation and too many meeting. Not sure how one can get work done when you are on phone for so many ridiculous meetings.
Pros
balance. Good benefits.
Cons
Stressful, no work life balance
Started my career here
Unit Investment Securities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 5, 2017
This is where I learned everything. I learned a lot about investments. I worked here over 20 years and loved every minute of it even though the commute was long.
The culture will suck the life out of you!
Senior Compliance Advisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 2, 2017
I've learned that culture is very important and the culture at Nuveen will suck the life out of you. The company poorly supports cross training, sharing of knowledge and camaraderie. Middle and upper management need an overhaul.

The pay is great compared to industry peers and the benefits are top notch, as well, but that isn't enough to drown out the feeling of dread when you walk through the doors.
Just ok
Marketing Programs Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 31, 2017
I was there at a time of a lot of change. Turned out that there was more change ahead by the time I left. Very traditional investment firm with their way of doing things.
Excellent work environment
Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 31, 2017
Nuveen understands that happy employees equal productive workers. They have very little turnover and offer excellent benefits and work-life balance. There is also the opportunity to grow and learn and be challenged.
Great ethical firm!
Vice President, Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 9, 2017
Wonderful place to work and great staff. Most ethical of firms and client-centric. Excellent support of employees and benefits. Excellent lineup of investment solutions.
Great experience in a high quality asset management organization
Vice President and Portfolio Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 3, 2017
Fine company with active research efforts and a commitment to serving the needs of both institutional and private clients. Diverse product offerings and multiple centers of expertise.
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 2, 2017
Excellent office environment and reasonable expectations for quantity of work. Attention to detail and perfection is required for travel arrangements. Many tasks (mail, express mail/package delivery, calendaring, email, copying, presentation copies, travel, expense reporting, office and building equipment maintenance) to perform - routine administrative work and backup for Reception and other Assistants.
Pros
Workflow goes up and down - when slow you can pursue additional projects.
Cons
Not many more promotional opportunities.
Good company struggling with competing cultures
Director (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 13, 2017
Like many, I came to this company because the culture was unlike most financial service firms. Over time, however, they've been forced to change in order to remain competitive with their peers. While it's still an excellent company, it's no longer that different culturally and I think that's unfortunate.