NYC Administration for Children's Services Employee Reviews

work place to work
Child Protective Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 29, 2018
please look elsewhere if you are looking for a good job.

this place do not care about their employee. they treat like you are just a number. they pay is bad and you work very long hrs. you will have no time for your family.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
long hrs
City
Computer Service Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2018
Great benefits. Desktop Support is a good entry level position to learn the ends and outs of IT. Hours are flexible. You can work Mon-Fri 35 hrs or you can work at a compress shift three days a week 12 hrs and your off four days so you can get another job or go to school. Just wish there was room for growth.
Easy to move around
Community Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2018
Its a great agency to work for and better a career in child welfare. This agency has given me the opportunity to grow in my personal and professional life.
Positive experience
DATA ENTRY/OFFICE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 20, 2018
manageable caseload; friendly co-workers; opportunity for career advancement; understanding Supervisor; low supervision; personal opinion respected; quiet work environment.
Pros
close to home
Cons
temporary
Work Environment
Child Protective Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 10, 2018
This is a fast paced stressful environment. You must be able to multi-task and meet deadlines in a timely fashion. It's also a plus to be personable with the clientele in which we serve. The most challenging part of the job is going to court, as well as the removal of children from the home.
What I learned
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 24, 2018
We categorized stock piles of children that were being neglected or abused. They select 10 of the most intricate cases at a time and followup on the well being of the children in a new environment. These new environments were new families that could properly take care of the child and give them what they need. Usually after about a month of living in these residences, we would see how they have matriculated into their new home. depending on severe cases some children could be moved around a lot if both parties weren't cooperating.The system is built to get the children into the best home possible and get them into an environment that is different from a place of despair and suffering. I didn't know there were some many children going through the system that the government was taking care of. It humbled me as well as taught me to be thankful for everything i have.
High Paced work atmosphere with opportunity for growth
Deputy Director of Supervision & Coaching (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 22, 2018
While working at ACS for 10+ years I have learned the importance of providing feedback on child welfare performance data, policies and protocols in a way that is tailored for the audience (i.e. line staff, middle level management, senior leadership and/or outside stakeholders). The most challenging part of my experience at ACS has been coaching staff to be receptive to new concepts and obtaining leadership acceptance of staff feedback on new concepts.
The most enjoyable part of the job is developing leadership skills in staff and working collaboratively with colleagues and provider agencies to improve outcomes for children and families.
Pros
Great Benefits such as NYCERS pension, option of additional retirement fund, health care benefits, and managerial flex time
Cons
While salary is relatively good ($83k) it does not match cost of living in NYC
Stressful, no pay parody, long hours, Inexperienced management
FH Transitional Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 21, 2018
Management is inexperienced, punitive, hired due to nepotism. Hours are long, no pay parody, promotional opportunity based on nepotism. Experience and longevity not respected.
Pros
union
Cons
Nepotism
Stressful
Child Protection Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 15, 2018
You will be happy with your salary, but there is no union or job security, nor is the salary equivalent to the demands of the job. The hours are beyond demanding and leaves your personal life empty. The job is overly stressful!
benefits
Administration for Children’s Services
Clerical Support/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 8, 2018
A typical day at work were
1. Provided clerical/logistical support for various special projects, citywide trainings, and conferences facilitated by OYD
2. Provided and maintained database for tracking ACS clients referred to Human Resources Administration for employment
Pros
I've learned to understand young adults better
Cons
The story cases we had to input into our field

Want to know more about NYC Administration for Children's Services?

Ask a question
Overwhelming caseload
Child Protective Specialist (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYFebruary 12, 2018
Working for Administration for Children's Services has been a great experience however the caseload is overwhelming when the right supervision is not given to learn how to manage the caseload. The benefits and support that come with the job are excellent, however it does not compensate for the amount of stress that comes with the job.
Pros
Healthcare, benefits, unlimited overtime
Cons
Overwhelming caseloads, stressful situations
Productive busy work place
Human Resource Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 12, 2018
I come in the morning, check my emails and respond to the imperative ones first. Open up all databases we use. Check to see if new job postings need to be created. IF we are hiring externally or internally. Meeting with supervisors regarding our goals and what needs to be accomplished.
Quick Paced environment.
Child Welfare Specialist II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2018
Every work day is not the same. When you deal with families you have to expect the unexpected. There is no cookie cutter solution because every situation is not the same. Prepare to act.
Pros
Health care benefits.
excellent place to work, I love this job.
Clerical Associate II/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 7, 2018
Complied daily, weekly and monthly statistical reports Microsoft excel. Summarized case and other data tallies into computerized systems against the source material in order to ensure accuracy.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short break
High Intensity Work Environment
CPS Investigator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 28, 2018
Working here was both fun and challenging because it was fast-paced and you knew you were helping children and families. The biggest issue was middle management but you still had access to upper management and your opinion counted to them. There was a high turnover rate with this position because of the amount of stress but as long as you had healthy outlets, you could definitely succeed at this job.
Pros
Lots of overtime.
Cons
High stress job.
Cps
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 27, 2018
Hardest- The work is intensive and long work hours. The initial meetings with the families can go smooth or you can have a hard time reaching the family.

Enjoyable- The families have a better relaationship with one another and are linked to community based organizations.
Pros
Supportive supervisors
Cons
Intensive Work
Stressful but rewarding if you can handle it
Agency Attorney (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJanuary 23, 2018
Underpaid and overworked, with only great benefits and the knowledge that you're doing important and meaningful work, it's not surprising that many people leave fairly quickly..
hard place to work
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 22, 2018
ACS is a hard place to work but it is the best experience you can get in the field. You have to learn quickly and try to connect with outside agencies that can help you help families.
life
Justice Studies Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 21, 2018
fast paced and it requires time and patience.
alot of research
meetings
being on time
prepping cases.
data entry log in
preparing a paced enviornment
Unpredictable schedule
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJanuary 21, 2018
Get ready to live at the office and in the field. Hours are unpredictable, supervisors don't care. I had to do work in the hospital from when I was admitted to the emergency room and my supervisor didn't care that I wasn't feeling well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NYC Administration for Children's Services. Our community is ready to answer.