NYC Administration for Children's Services
61Average

NYC Administration for Children's Services Employee Reviews

United States429 reviews
the work condions were very poor, overcrowed, too much hostility between legal aid, bronx defenders, judges and ACS attorneys leading to bad outcomes for the families.
The mission is critical, you protect children, but virtually impossible to do with the current degree of over-management. More room for independent decision making and action will be necessary for the agency to deal with the immense strain it was under when I left. It has exceptionally talented staff and most managers are extremely capable leaders, but the constant self-flagellation on an agency level, through the insistence on increasing layers of superfluous oversight, is an anchor that is dragging the work experience down. Train your workers better, more thoroughly, and hold them to account for their decisions appropriately, but give them the room for independent judgment and autonomy they need to address, at the very least, the minor cases that clog the system. If there is continued insistence on multiple layers of oversight, at least ensure that management's primary responsibility is oversight; otherwise junior staff are doubly suffocated by an extremely high caseload and the unavailability of managers to provide the necessary guidance and authority to resolve matters.

There is great potential for this agency, it is staffed with truly incredible people and has a truly fulfilling core mission, but much more can be done to further that mission if it is willing to innovate rather than stagnate.
You have to go into the agency with a clear mind and know all that is said ain’t true. Without proper leadership it makes your job 10 times harder. Everyone is out for self with makes the staff moral very low. People are generally not willing to work together as a team when that is much needed in this agency.
Difficult position, you are charged with ensuring the safety of children. It can be overwhelming due to the number of cases, but it is worth it in the end.
I really miss working in this IT environment, I had the best manager and he always big I’m learning something new. The benefits were the best, great team environment. Would love to work there again!!
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
This is not a job for anyone with children or a relationship. There is zero work life balance and you must dedicate your life to the job. You also need guidance from a supervisor who is highly trained, and I was place with a training supervisor which made my job 10 times worse. The pay and benefits are good but you work for every single penny. Over time is mandatory so you cannot make any plans unless you have the day off.
There is no work/life balance and management expects you to neglect your own health and family to get the job done. ACS is worried about “numbers” and deadlines, rather than helping the families. Furthermore, they are biased and doesn’t treat each case/family with the same sense of urgency. They’re afraid to file against Caucasian families, because they don’t want to get sued. There’s no employee appreciation. If you’re a young adult, don’t waste your time.
Friendly, offer great benifits. Allows you learning experiences and provides tuition reimbursement. Working at ACE can be stressful but that is to be expected, due to the nature of their work.
Interview and screening ACS personel. Conducting backround checks as well as canvassing and locating subjects..
Repori writing results of an investigation.
It is a City agency and rules apply as far as titles and which can advance etc. switching titles can cause you to lose time vested so it’s up to you. Not every title can advance. If you are a Case Manager or Child protection Specialit’s then you have plenty of opportunities, it’s a social worker, counselor, psychologist, health and human services or h/r world, unless you are a JD. Some love it like I love where I am at now!
Unfortunately, working at ACS was an environment of hostility. It was not a happy place to work. Most if not all employees were very angry. The expectations were unreasonable.
Many CPS workers are overworked and under paid. Multitasking is an understatement! You are an investigator, case manager and a counselor. You interview families and collateral contacts on a regular basis, collect and transmit information into a database.
Pros
Job securities
Cons
Always multitasking
Management’s only interest is their numbers. The safety or well being of the CPS is not valued. Morale at all time low. Amount of work impossible to sometimes complete during work hours, sometimes work from home just to try & balance the load for the next day.
Pros
Co-workers willing you help, co assist
Cons
Not valued, unappreciated.
Work is crisis driven. You can learn a lot with the right supervisors. Many tasks to complete and you must be detailed. There are standards and protocols but the work Changes from day to day
This position is very intensive. You will have a full day. New cases everyday, multitasking is of upmost importance. You will have contact with a diverse number of people.
I feel that working in an organization that is helpfull to the communty it is a blessing in itself. I think that someone should feel happy when they work and serving the community makes me feel that way
this is a great company, kids were great. loved the company but had to leave due to school time. but great job. anyone would love it and if you love kids
Good experience I enjoyed it
Performed household chores including cooking and cleaning.

Supervised medicine intake.

Provided care for patient in her home, including dressing, bathing and grooming.

Cooked meals and kept house clean.
my work place a good place learn new things and its family oriented and a productive workplace. when look up the word team you will see me and my co worker {Family)
My supervisors were very knowledgeable and willing to assist whenever necessary. we worked together to get things done! we were responsible for processing early learn contracts which were critical to the needs of New York City
I had to leave, because the work environment was so toxic! Most leaders abused their power, and took advantage of people or spoke down to them. The kids need more care and attention. ACS needs to be revamped. I feel bad for the people like me, who went their with hope of making more of a difference in the lives of children.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at NYC Administration for Children's Services. Our community is ready to answer.