NYC Administration for Children's Services Employee Reviews

A great opportunity to grow and to learn about your community
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 19, 2018
The Administration for Children's Services was both rewarding and challenging. Being challenged is what kept me motivated and interested in the work. No two days were the same and I learned a lot about myself and the members of my community. I learned that we are lot more alike than we are different and at some point in our lives we all need support.
Through management and co-workers I was supported in areas that I was weak and they brought out my strengths. The most difficult part of the job was confronting parents about their shortcomings, however the most enjoyable aspect was identifying the issue and providing a solution for the problem.
Either you love it or hate it
Child Protective Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 11, 2018
I started working with the agency in April of 2017 and I am currently still employed. I have been on maternity leave since August of this year and will be returning the beginning of January back to the office. I am going to break down categories of the job.

1. Location- our Bronx location is in a huge complex with a lot of parking, nearby garages, a cafeteria and a gym. If you are not early to work, forget about parking close to the entrance. Also if you do not have a car, you must wait for the shuttle to transport you into the facility. Or you can walk a mile.
-our location has three company vans you can request and also a few zip cars that live on the property.
Our office just redid the security doors as a disgruntled client tried to make their way into our office.

2. Management
This is hit or miss. A bad supervisor will be your downfall. But as a CPS, if you make enough noise, you can be transferred to a different unit. The managers are nice for the most part and a lot have open door policies. Just don’t ever try to get to close to someone as a rule of thumb. It is very political and some managers are not nice.

3. Caseload - so what you’ve heard about the insanely high caseloads are correct. During the summer when it is slow, you may get a case once a week. But during the school year, expect sometimes up to three cases a week. And mind you that when you get a case, the kid could be living in a different borough, there may be ten family members you need to interview or they may speak another lanaguage! In my unit, we averaged about 25 cases each with the highest
  more... caseload in our unit at 30. A high case load like that is sure to attract the attention of the higher ups. Then it’s the blame game on who didnt do what or why this case wasn’t moved fast enough.
Cases are supposed to be closed in 60 days but as soon as you open the FSS (family service stage), good luck getting rid of that case. You may be stuck with it for months. And guess what? When you have a case on your load you are required to make biweekly visits. Unless the case was transferred to FSU (family service unit) for supervision.

4. Money
Of course you are paid well but we have to keep track of our overtime on overtime sheets. Your overtime also has to be preapproved and signed off by a manager. While I’ve been employed, the city renegotiated a new contract bumping the salary up to 53k. Also they paid out retroactive pay. You will make a lot of money here. There are cps workers making over 70k but of course, you’re legitimately working for it. Supervisors are banking way over 100k.

5. Time off
You accumulate time monthly and it adds up very fast. Another thing we have is called comp time which is you taking your overtime in time rather than in money. We do not have paid maternity leave. In order for me to have stayed out so long from work was because I accumulated enough overtime, sick and vacation time to be paid fully for three months out of work. The job also carries short term disability from the union and disability packages through another insurance company.
If you get paper checks, sometimes they are late arriving to the office. Also if your time is not submitted correctly by the manager you can get an administrative hold on your check. You will have to go down to 150 Williams Street. Time off once again is depending on your supervisor. Either they can say yes or no.

6. Removals
Thankfully I’ve only done one, but what you have heard is right. You will be out all night long. Our transportation sucks so you may end up waiting hours to be picked up with a kid that you just removed. You will be in a child safety conference afterward and then you will file your case in court. This is a never ending process. Before I left, I still had the case active on my desk...months later. You will be screamed at in court if your ducks aren’t in a row by a judge who can make you question your life. They expect you to work 24/7 around the clock to find placement for the child, care for the child and make sure the child is ok. This is natural but these removal cases are consuming. Once the child is in foster care, you can breathe again. But it’s still not over.

7. Safety
You’ll be coming face to face with sex offenders, murderers, people with severe mental health and etc. You will meet many hostile clients and be in some sketchy neighborhoods. If you’ve never seen or been in any projects, get acclimated now. People have bed bugs. People have pets.
They gave us a new app on our phone in the event of an emergency you pull the tether and the police respond lightening fast. It is suppose to be the same distress call as officer down.
Sometimes you also have to be escorted by the police to case addresses because clients allegedly have firearms. The police will accompany you into the homes. I’ve never had an issue with the nypd while at work. They have always been more than helpful. Sometimes they roll deep too so don’t be alarmed when six cops accompany you.
When I go back, I’m thinking of buying pepper spray to keep on me except when I go to court.

8.Court
You’ll be there all day. The attorneys are slow and some can’t draft a petition to save their lives. They are unreachable by phone. God forbid if you have to testify on a case; some attorneys prepare you super last minute. Good luck for cross examination though. This is your time to act like you’re starring in an episode of law and order. There are not many desktop computers to use at court, but this was prior to them giving us all surface pro laptops that have Verizon WiFi capability. You’ll see the same judges, attorneys and court officers over and over again.

9. Office Stuff
There are birthdays, decorating contests and office activities going all the time. In our unit we celebrate everyone’s birthday and we buy food and decorations and we relax. My unit threw me a beautiful baby shower without me knowing. The year prior, they bought me a cake and card for my birthday. Someone always remembers. I also love doing this for my unit members. If we go on vacation, we all get each other little trinkets as souvenirs. Also, if you have a good unit you can expect to give them rides or have them drive you. We got each other’s backs. Also if you are going in the field, try to team up with another worker. I did this all the time! Just remember that if you are combining visits with another worker obviously you will be out longer.

The job is not as awful as it seems. It depends on you, your unit, your supervisor and your manager. You’re not in this alone even if you feel that way.

Everything you do is under a time constraint.
Pros
Salary, good unit members, good supervisor/manager, ongoing training
Cons
Hours worked, court, removals
great co workers`
Child Protective Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 9, 2018
Challenging work. Field work. Writing reports. Going to court at times. Participating in meetings and conferences. Meeting and discussing cases with service providers.
fun
CHILD PROTECTIVE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 5, 2018
very fast paced environment. co-workers are nice. Did a lot of removals and spent a lot of time away from my family. Forever changing agency. New policies are always coming into play.
Pros
Days go by quickly
Cons
Dont really get to spend a lot of time with family.
Opportunity to Learn a lot
Agency Attorney III/IV-Administrative Law Unit (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 4, 2018
The Administration for Children's Services of NYC is a great place to work in that it teaches you to be a great attorney while working under a lot of pressure. It allows you to thrive in a supportive environment.
great upper management
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 26, 2018
I was trained well. I didn;t intend to leave. I'm returning asap.
The collaborative work between team members were awesome. the pay is excellent and enough to live in nyc
A day in life of CWS II
Child Welfare Specialist II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 24, 2018
A typical day in my position is you come into the office, sit at your designated seat and put on your computer, check my emails and reply to things of urgency. Got to my workload and usually begin my day from there, I typically work out of 5-6 systems and need two screens to complete my work efficiently. I answer the phone and answer questions when need it.
Pros
work independently
Cons
time constraints
The work was fulfilling and stressful.
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYNovember 13, 2018
Had office days and field days. Worked a lot of overtime due to ample time to hard pressed families and stressed out mothers. Had to have ample time for children who was abused or neglected. Had to investigate families and other caretaker. Interviewed children and adults circumspectly. Court appearances and testified on behalf of the city for child welfare. Most enjoyable was the unfounded cases. I enjoyed the reception desk the most due to the interaction with the families and teenage clients.
Pros
Unfounded investigations gave me a sense of hope.
Cons
Child abuse or neglect.
Grear place to work
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 12, 2018
Great place to work. staff and managers are supportive and interactive. managers go out their way to teach and train you in important areas. managers are friendly
Great place to learn and grow
Program Evaluator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 17, 2018
Working at ACS afforded me an opportunity to acquire several skills which have allowed me to expand my practice skills. Because of this agency I developed a specialization in Child Welfare Policy, Program Development, Management and Evaluation, and am extremely proficient in Federal Child Welfare Legislation, and Continuous Quality Improvement.

This agency would be better served if they filled senior level leadership positions with staff who have front line child protective case worker backgrounds and experience. If you do not have a history of child protective casework experience, you should not be qualified to manage or oversee child protective operations. Period.
Pros
Great learning environment
Cons
Unprofessional and non supportive / cutthroat leadership
Accountability
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 13, 2018
There is no such thing as having a typical day. Everyday is different as there are so many tasks that are expected to be done by a CPS on any given day despite whatever emergencies that might arise throughout the course of the day. The most enjoyable part of the job is when a family thanks you for assisting their family.
Pros
overtime pay
Cons
the feeling of the upper management not supporting the front line staff, high stress of the job
Poor work life balance
Child Protective Specialist Supervisor Level II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 7, 2018
The job is rewarding, but the requirements to get the work done is unrealistic. You go home and get work done to avoid falling behind. There is a real need for more workers to get things done.
Pros
free health care
Cons
poor work/life balance
Intern life
Intern (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 29, 2018
As an intern my job was mostly to observe and help in a minor capacity. Some of the hardest parts of the job were dealing with some of staff and the sometimes macabre nature of the job. Some people were very demeaning and uncooperative. I think the attitudes were a side effect of a shifting management structure as it is a City job and the very stressful nature of CPS.
City Workers
Congregate Care Specialist, Transportation Unit (Current Employee) –  New York, NY 10016September 29, 2018
Job security is very important and I love that about my job. I also like the benefits that come with the job. It is rewarding if you truly care about the children
Difficult Job
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, nySeptember 27, 2018
The job within it self if very challenging. There is constant change and no one day is the same when work for this agency. There are many days when you come into work and are unsure of when your shift will conclude because many things can occur. From being in court all day, removing children, and making home/ school visits it is often very difficult to input your notes into the database. If you have small children, this may not be a job for you if you don’t have stable child care.
Pros
Great experience for child welfare
Cons
Salary is way too low for the nature of the job
Fun
DEPUTY DIRECTOR - CLIENTS' SERVICES (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 24, 2018
New York City Administration for Children's services was a nice place to work though high pace but it was all fun. There was employment protection and job security
Not what I thought I was signing up for
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 13, 2018
Just to much overtime, bad work hours. Just physically and mentally demand.. No real support from supervisor or union. on issue affecting Officer's. Just very unsafe place to work at..
stressful
Child Protective Specialist Investigator (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 10, 2018
High Case Load; No workers so it is a stressful work environment; have to have a masters in order to move up in management regarding SUP 1 or Sup 2 positions
Nice to work there, bit stressful
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 8, 2018
Visiting clients homes, trying to locate missing clients, visiting schools, hospitals to interview the clients is very time consuming and can lead to stress.
Pros
You have your desk/work space.
Cons
Giving out appointments late in the afternoon/evening
More pros then cons
Child Welfare Specialist Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New yorkSeptember 6, 2018
I would say that the culture needs some improvement. Its hard for those with ideas to be creative. It also really depends what division and what department you work in.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NYC Administration for Children's Services. Our community is ready to answer.