NYC Department of Buildings

NYC Department of Buildings Employee Reviews

United States79 reviews
I was completely happy while I worked there as an administrative aide (an intern). I learnt a lot because it was in line with my academics and I gained a lot of experience from the department of buildings.
was ordered to issue full site stop w/o's and violations with out justification ,was ordered to remove violations because of who the contractors knew, a lot of favoritism and dishonesty. DOB internal affairs also looks for a reason to find inspectors in violation of a dress code( must wear Black socks) but yet they dress as they please.
Building codes are not proof read before publishing-some codes contradict other codes.

no one wants to take responsibility and always looking to put blame on others - supervisors up to chiefs will tell you to write violations and if it gets questioned its you and not the supervisors that get questioned or fired.
Pros
get to see a lot of the city you normally wouldnt see
Cons
dishonesty
As someone with health issues, this job is very accommodating and flexible. I'm grateful to be working for the department of buildings. The work load is also not stress inducing which helps. The commute is also convenient.
Great school to learn about nyc codes and zoning, great coworkers also really good benefits!! The salary it is not that great but this opportunity it is an open door for other companies.
I enjoy working with counting the amount of paperwork in every pile. I had experience with scanning and MS Office programs like Excel and Outlook, etc.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
A typical day is very busy with having to multi-task and completing all of your work assignments. I learn something new almost everyday. Everyday is different and you meet and help new people. The work environment is very busy but the people that I work with all pitch in to help one another out when needed. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I was able to help someone out and come up with a win win for both my agency and the individual.
The most enjoyable part of this job is helping people and completing your tasks. The hardest part of the job is dealing with disgruntled customers and miscommunication between staff and management. It is very fast paced but that helps the day move along quickly.
As an intern I don't have any benefit, but I am learning some interesting staff that will really be helpful later in my career. I would like to be an employee there.
From the time I report to work my day is busy with helping or assisting home owners correct problems. Serving the public can be very rewarding when you really see how much you help individuals out.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No remote access to the work.
great company to get started and gain experience. I learned a lot of different job titles jobs. bad management but good supervisors that are willing to help.
Administrative professionals encompass every unit in the Agency. These staffers keep the wheels turning, by helping the Agency function from day-to-day.
Pros
Healthcare
Employees can make the best of the job or do the bare minimum. Rarely any consequences to bad performance. Promotions are based on management likes rather than experience or merit. So pamper your boss if you want to move up. This agency is always restructuring but never seem to reach efficiency. No training plan for anyone except a short class for inspectors. You learn as you go and hope for the best.
The most enjoyable part of the job was when I counted the amount of paperwork in all. I also separated the 2017 forms from the others of various years.
Pros
Work activity, 30 min lunch breaks, approved timesheet
Cons
No work activity, DCD doesn't work/not assigned
working at the department of buildings I learned a lot of things for example how to look up buildings and houses information. how to go about adding or subtracting parts to a house and the rules on owning a building property.
DOB is great as long as it’s not the operations department. it’s entirely short staffed and has been for the longest. management is unfair and do things to benefit themselves
I met a lot of good colleagues there. The commissioner is really good. Fair, ambitious, nice to all the people working there. There is one chief examiner gives everybody headaches. Good news is, based on my previous colleague, he is already retired.
Prepare for the days audit meeting by taking out the folders, going through the paper work to refresh my memory of the done by the engineer/architect; so that the meeting can go smoothly.
In my experience I was doing an overwhelming amount of work for very little pay it felt like my supervisor took advantage of me and I ended up doing both mine and their jobs. As a college aide there are no benefits, low pay, and no room what so ever for advancement as this position only last the length of your time in school, but I must say that I did learn a lot in this position.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Low Pay, No Benefits, No advancement opportunities
Wouldn’t recommend the job court officers were friendly respectful complimented you on ur job which they were the only ones not a hard job to do but u can not depend on people words as far as management
Pros
Cons
Nonep
The benefits are ok. The pay is not too bad if you don't mind working overtime. And the supervisors are the same as any other supervisors. Not a terrible place to work
Needs EXTREME management development, more opportunity for advancement, transparency, alleviate staff burnout by providing and filling more positions.
Pros
Cons
No break
Ask a question about working or interviewing at NYC Department of Buildings. Our community is ready to answer.