NYC Department of Design and Construction

NYC Department of Design and Construction Employee Reviews

What you learned
Construction Inspector (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 13, 2018
It is the right place for entry levels, you get expose to a lot of different construction projects. The managers/supervisor are very relax and calm. It’s a slow paced work place.
Pros
Pay time off and sick leaves.
Cons
Salary and no over time.
good company
Staff Analyst II/Records Management Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 4, 2018
Company has helped me to advance with many of my business of project managements goals and ideas. Would recommend for engineers and architects. Great for interns
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no parking
Best Internship for an aspiring New York City civil engineer
College Intern (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYAugust 28, 2018
Every day I went into work knowing I was learning a new skill. My supervisors really showed me the way of working as an engineer and didn't treat me as just an intern but as an actual employee. I was held accountable to all my actions and sat at the meetings as apart of the team. Will always be grateful for the internship opportunity given to me at the NYC DDC.
Productive work place
Office Engineer (Current Employee) –  NYAugust 1, 2018
I have a lot about how to manage the job.
Review and process construction for project design submittals and ensure forms as per existing standards.
Administer contractor’s work and ensure compliance with submitted contract documents.
Inspect work sites, monitor project budget and schedule and check project plans and drawings to verify authenticity of office plans.
Analyze and recommend changes to contracts and prepare necessary amendments in contract document.
stressfull
Administration/Data Entry/Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2018
as a temp this was very hard for me to completed assignment snice
very little training was given nor was the staff willing to provide information on procedures.
Small agency
Clerical Associate IV (PERMANENT) (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 4, 2018
This agency has the most professional degrees of any agency in the New York City Mayoral group. There is a lot to learn in this small space with lots of responsibility.
Good Experience
Project Director and Recovery Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYMay 24, 2018
Great agency to work for. Interesting projects and a lot of exposure. A bit too bureaucratic which may be the case of City government work in general. Overall good experience.
Exciting place to work.
Sr. Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYMay 16, 2018
if your like work with people form all walks of life this is the place
to be warm and friendly environment. I enjoyed working with all
my clients they love working with me i always seem to make them laugh on their worst days and go that extra mile to make them smile.
Pros
one hour lunch with a lot eatery in area.
Cons
no cons it is what you make it.
reward for good work is more work and not compensation
Assistant Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2018
I liked working here until I was rewarded with an insane amount of responsibility after doing a great job on a $250 M project with out a raise or promotion. Therefore there was no incentive to strive anymore. The responsibility came without training and proper guidance. I literally had to read every agency manual in order to get a layout of how to fill the role.
NYC DDC is a very diverse work place.
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 14, 2018
Projects at NYC DDC takes time to materialize. DDC is a very diverse work environment. Depending on your unit and budgets, most employees can obtain a lot of vacation time.
Good work environment
Civil Engineering Intern (Entry Level) (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYFebruary 12, 2018
Very nice people around who are committed to NYC's development.
It is a great place to start your career. You will have a lot of mentors that can give you ideas on how to approach your career.
It’s a laid back, Slow pace environment. City employee salary aren’t great.
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYFebruary 5, 2018
Government jobs Mostly are very political, you moved up and growth within the agency if you know someone powerful that can refer you and appointed you. The civil service law is violated doesn’t matter what’s yours city employee status is.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Laid back environment
Every Day Work
MWBE Liaison & Procurement Analyst (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYJanuary 30, 2018
A day at work is follow ups and reviews. What I have learned is the understanding of a project as a whole which is step that is needed to complete a job.The culture is outstanding.But what I enjoy the most is the relationship within the co-workers, the contractors and subcontractors to get work done.
Cons
Knowing your worth and not being seen.
Fun , Prodctive, competive
Capital Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2018
Working at DDC has been a learning experience. I'm able to work and get my job done without much disturbance from management.

DDC is very much diverse with the different cultures and beliefs, getting a job here is fair once you are qualified.

Its also a learning environment. I was able to excel in my excel spreadsheets and feel very much comfortable working anywhere with my skills.

The problem with DDC however is the lack of companionship. The hard workers are getting abused while the laid back workers seem to get their way.
Understanding and flexible
College Aide (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYNovember 7, 2017
Understanding and flexible agency that can accommodate an intern's school schedule. There are a variety of different units here that are all willing to show an intern the ropes and help widen their office experience.
Productive and Fun work enviornment
Construction Project Management Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 4, 2017
I loved the atmosphere of my job location. Everyone was like one big family. They joked around and had fun but still did their work in a timely matter.
Excellent working environment
Design Engineer -Infrastructure (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 1, 2017
Working at DDC, I was able to learn from and interact with great colleagues making it an ideal place to start a career and subsequently grow professionally.
My supervisors were encouraging, knowledgeable, and understanding.
good place to start you IT and learn at your pace
Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2017
you can follow the structure and work on the tickets and projects - usually the pace is relaxed - a good place to start the training and learn as you move along
Ddc
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 6, 2017
Fast pace
work orders
Awesome
Diverse workplace culture
when people don't want to cooperate think that it's alright not to work together as a unit
When everyone is having a great day at work
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Very good work environment
Clerical Associate III (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYAugust 3, 2017
Clerical duties carried out on daily basic. More diverse culture and very interested place to work, most employee are civil servant for the city of NY.