NYC Housing Authority Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
A horrible and depressing place to work
Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 18, 2018
This is the saddest place I have every worked. The morale of 'field staff' is terrible... break rooms are depressing, equipment is broken, lack of staff makes work harder for all, working conditions are abysmal. For management, pressure is high, resources few or non-existent, and management by crisis. The culture at NYCHA is toxic. In the last year, the CEO, COO, SVP Operations, VP Operations Sercices, Director of Tech Services, and a dozen other senior leaders have quit, been fired, or otherwise "checked out" due to scandal, exhaustion, and mental defeat.

Before applying to a job, research news articles is my best advice.
Worked fairly quickly and not too extensively
Maintenance Worker, courier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2018
Honestly I worked with nycha through a contract with a company called CEO. For me to receive health care and benefits would be unreasonable since I've only worked for a short while but in the time working for nycha it was a learning experience and I would certainly take the chance to work permanently with nycha if offered.
Pros
Timely
Cons
Health care
NYCHA has excellent benefits and retirement plan. There is lots of room for growth.
Housing Exterminator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2018
NYCHA is very focused on Productivity. It's not always about the quality of work being provided but, the quantity of work that is accomplished in a days work. The hardest part in pest control is completing the amount of work given in the course of a day. However, being able to find solutions and ways to improve the quality of life for the residents is a very satisfying and gratifying part of the job.
productive and punctual
Groundskeeping (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYAugust 5, 2018
Clock in and waited for your assigned area to work in. I learned to be productive and punctual. Management was good and always engaged in what you were doing and how well you work. Workplace culture is good u get to do different things daily. Nothing hard about the job. Most enjoyable meeting new people you work with daily.
Pros
you get to go home for lunch
Cons
short break time
Unpaid internship
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 26, 2018
I did an unpaid summer internship at the office of design department. I mostly wanted to aim experience. I learned a new software during that time; which I used to create drawings for them. Management was great.
Pros
New skills, great management
Cons
Unpaid
stressful yet family friendly
Housing Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 26, 2018
I great place to work as a startup of your career. Can become overwhelming after many years on the job. Great benefits and great people to work with. Working with residents can be quite challenging yet rewarding.
benefits
Cons
stressful
Was very happy to work with NYCHA
Borough Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 22, 2018
I loved to work with NYCHA always devoted as a sincere employee .Always try to co-operate with staff and gave training to subordinate.Always try to help residents about their concerns . Very co-operative with supervisors. Very eager to learn new procedures.
Great people to work with
Caretaker/heating plant technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2018
Good benefits,a great stepping stone with chances to advance,the department gave me an opportunity to advance & also provide for my family,I have made life long friends & I'm very proud to have worked for the department,my prayers was answered in my time of need,great place & career fair
Pros
Health benefits, stability, pension
Cons
Cold winter's/hot Summer's
overall it was a good job, i loved the people and making money also the fact that you can take classes to move up in position
Caretaker J (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 17, 2018
a typical day at work intailed cleaning grounds removing garbage and ensuring the saftey of residents, i learned how to have patience and how to deal with all types of people, managment was ok but could have been a lil more structured, workplace culture was very diverse.the hardest part of the job was emptying compactors and tranporting garbage to drop site, the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with coworkers and learning new things
Pros
making money and making new friends
Cons
mandatory working every weekend and the long commute to different locations
Stable job
Seasonal Groundsman (Former Employee) –  Baychester Houses, NYJuly 16, 2018
Great job opportunity to have if you are starting out. Some areas are dangerous to work in, but that is expected working in apartment buildings. Lots of room for advancement.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
drama among employees
productive work place
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJuly 3, 2018
Typical day at work is setting up to prepare for your day. Pretty much it was very much the same as every other day. You know your assignments and you just jump right in and get started. Most enjoyable part of the job was assisting the clients and workplace fun.
Very Busy
Secretary IIIA (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 3, 2018
Very busy work environment. Great benefits, poor pay. The phone never stops ringing. I learned to have patience and listen to the tenants. Management is alright
Productive Work place
Receptionist/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 29, 2018
All employees work non-stop to make sure all building areas are clean and safe for the public and residents. Supervisors and Managers check upon any issues with residents in regards of rent or in home issues.
Pros
Good work schedules and Clean areas
Cons
Health issues
working for NYCHA
Building Porter/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 21, 2018
Great place to work,and a lot of room for advancesment.the best part of the job was knowing I did a great job for the tenants.if you love working with other,this is a great job for you.and there a lot of overtime,every night.if you don't like working around rodents this is not a career for you.
Pros
Long lunch hours
Cons
to many rodents
excellent excellent place to work for
Superintendent Secretary-Lafayette Gardens (Former Employee) –  387 Lafayette Avenue, Brooklyn NY 11205June 19, 2018
While employed for the New York Housing Authority, I can honestly say it was the best experience of my life. while employed for this company I learned alot like every other day. I also learned payroll and timekeeping called Kronos workforce and loved it and they paid me differential for doing Superintendent Secretary/Timekeeping.
Great place to work .
Borough Social Services Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 12, 2018
I had a very supportive Supervisor and the staff were unified in completing our duties in a timely manner. Management was supportive and there was room for promotion.
Pros
great communication in the agency
Good work training and safety protocols
Elevator Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 11, 2018
Overall good place to work with excellent training.
Great people and modern equipment. Annual training on new control systems. New tools where provided annually.
Pros
Paid vacation
Cons
Commute
productive and fun work place
Assistant Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 5, 2018
it's a productive and fun work place everyone operate as one unit. Everyone treat each other like a family member and we take care of each other.

Productive and Funwork place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2018
It was a nice experienced to work for the NewYork Housing Authority , I learned a lot from this organization , and it was a fun work place. There were a lot of opportunities to move up and everyday was a new day to learn something new .
It’s a good career but it can be stressful
Temporary Summer Caretaker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2018
The job was great the workers was funny never a doll day it was only temporary I did three seasonals I didn’t mind a job it’s very demanding but these options to move up to different positions within
Pros
Can’t beat a city job
Cons
Can’t beat a city job