NYC Housing Authority

NYC Housing Authority Employee Reviews

Interesting Agency to work for
Learned and observed their standards; policy; procedures; protocols for use in work; unfortunately understaffed thereby long hours and affects life/home/work balance.
good job
sometimes stressful, but very laid back,and managers are great. This job do get boring, and very repetitive. great environment, managers are very understanding.
3 start overall
Fun job , you always learn something new. The bad part is that some management is difficult to work with , they make work a hostile environment. They only hire people who live in NYCHA, and most workers don’t do their jobs they hide out
Excellent workplace
It was great working with New York City Housing. Wonderful schedule and I really appreciated the breaks they gave us between time. They didn't overwork us, now that's a good thing. I finished work by 4 PM to have more time with my family.
Summer youth worker
Worked two months (SYEP) for the summer of 2018 .
Worked organizing a crew of 20. Painting benches, swept out the courtyards of garbage, recycled garbage

Watched kids from the community center as teachers took break.
Property manager
Enjoyed working there with the company benefits were good exposed to a lot of different people and cultures New York City housing authority was a great job only down side was the commute especially as I got older it got harder to do
Cool place
It was a cool place to work, you have to stay on your safety game though ( wearing protective cleaning gear so you won't pick up any diseases, & wear proper back gear to protect yourself against sprains & stuff like that due to heavy lifting or falling)
I would even return if I had the chance!
They Really have to many people doing to many things that they don't know anything about
its a great job if you can get past everyone placing blame on the next employee. I've learned while i was there they really are unorganized and need major help. i was hired seasonal and the program i was in ended so my job did also. without a civil test your very expendable.
Job description
It’s a good job for people with children however you are required to stay overnight if the weather is bad. If it snows you have to clear storm drains, make pathways 3 feet,you have to change light bulbs. Clean slip sink. Change trash, compactors,walk building down removing bulk and debri. Remove graffiti and something you have to stay for overtime.
Working at NYCHA
Working in NYCHA taught me that I can handle up to 20-30 calls in a hour. And to be patient with the tenants and try my very best to help them live in a better environment for themselves, neighbors, & families
Garbage
Housing get rid of you even if you are a skilled worker. Unions dont fight for you. They pocket and survive off of you. And dont let them switch you to local dc37. Temp worker. No one will fight to keep you. Worse Eoe. Garbage is what you are.
Understanding Personnel
Great place to work they are all about getting the job done and understanding their employees. Supervisors are always quick to help and give advice on how you can improve your job output.
I loved working for housing but i was injured and treated unfairly when it was. Time for me to return to work.
It was a great experience ive bern trying to go back but just not in the field. I'd rather be inside and get that office experience. I wouldnt change my experiences because it was worth it.
not a lot of opportunites for temps
answered calls from residents and made work orders for maintenance
management was sometimes helpful

work culture was diverse

not being able to solve all problems

loved when I was able to get residents the help they needed
Productive and fun work place
Dealing with tennats can get a bit challenging but doing your best to help them is what maters, you always want to put yourself in their shoes and consider their frustration.
Worst City Job Ever
They pretend to care about the people living in housing and never fix things! I left because I do care about others.. Forget about management crazy out for themselves and only give good shifts if they like you no chance for advancing.
Nycha
NYCHA, for a first working experience, was one of the best jobs I could ever ask for. Me and my boss were very close after the first week, the environment was pleasurable and everyone respected eachother.
Horrible leadership and even worse management
Work that could be simplified and made more manageable if the individuals delegating staff and resources, were competent, listened to those out in the field and tried to be team player not a dictator.
Ughhh disgusted
Working for NYCHA is horrible. I've been here for the past 20++ yrs it gets worst each passing day. Co-workers are snakes and the supervisors are incompetent. The only great thing housing have given me are my health benefits.
Stable job
Busy environment a lot of complaints about no heat and maintenance not showing up for repair they have to compete for vacation time seniority rules
Caretakers has to work in the snow and work long hours. What I like about the job we get overtime. What I like about the job is time off with pay and we get floating holiday
High turnover rate
My experience at NYCHA was challenging as the working culture was impacted by the people who I was scheduled to train under, left the company. It was difficult to learn the system, given the lack of management support and supervision.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at NYC Housing Authority. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.4
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
1.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight