NYPD Employee Reviews

Great job
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  NYCMarch 18, 2019
Great job, lots of challenges and pride of service good uniforms, plenty busy, learn a lot,
Serious work but fun. Have lots of advancement, lots of special duries and assignments
Pros
. Edprit De Corp
Cons
Very little public support
A rewarding Career in the Best Police Department in the World
Lieutenant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 18, 2019
The NYPD is a rewarding career with many opportunities of advancement and the ability to work in numerous specialized units such as the Detective Bureau, Community Affairs, Financial Crimes, Joint Terrorism Task Force, and Strategic Initiatives.
Pros
Career Advancement
Cons
Work-Life Schedule
Really interesting and exciting work
officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 17, 2019
loved my job and the people I came into contact with - I'm retired now and love also having a pension for life. When I started top pay was 5 years - at 10 years on the job I was hurt in the line of duty - injured to a point that the department retired me.... while I miss the job I got pension equivalent to two ranks above me and also kept my night differential until I die; don't know any private or other government job that does that !
Pros
Interesting and exciting work- great benefits and retirment
Cons
stressful - put any position of authority is going to be stress
Needs a rehaul
Computer Associate, Operations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 16, 2019
The work is there. Lots of people seem to have lost drive and motivation, I am one of the must educated people education and experience wise in my section yet there is no clear way or path to advancement. For example i visited an office known as the career enhancement division but they said they could not help me. That seemed quite ridiculous to me. Why have the office then?
Pros
Notoriety, team environment
Cons
Dev and training lacking, lack of prof dev for professionals
Had a good time working there
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 13, 2019
It was a job where people respected you now it’s not about respect it’s all about numbers and who can bring the numbers to get prompted or to make a lot of money on others misery
In the nypd you have a front row seat to everything and anything that goes on in nyc.
Detective Investigator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 13, 2019
In my 20 + years on the job I learned a great deal of police work and enjoyed every minute of it. My main job function was community relations which indeed was one of the main missions of the job, which is building the bridge and trust between the Department and its communities it serves.
NYPD is a full service police dept with many divisions to choose from. We have over 30,000 police officers that are made up from the diversity in New
Wide Duty Chief (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2019
It is a great place to work. You can learn so much with all the different assignments that are available. In addition, we are a diverse police department and cherish our community outreach programs. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the community and police unrest. The best part is when people are satisfied with the work that we do.
Pros
Career advancement
Cons
commmunity police relations
Traffic Agent (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYMarch 8, 2019
A day at NYPD traffic starts with a meeting with the captain to inform officers of area conditions. You then go to assigned post and issue summonses to illegally parked vehicles. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the public. Although they were illegally parked and you issued the summons you are taking money from someone who probably can't afford it. it's sad when they explain their predicament to you but there is nothing you can do because the summons have to be issued. The enjoyable part of the job is you are outdoors often so you get to meet and assist lots of different people.
Pros
Keeping traffic flowing and meeting new people.
Cons
Writing summonses to people who can't afford it
Great Job
Detective, Second Grade (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2019
Excellent job, go places, meet people. there are places and events you would not be able to go or do in any other field. New Years Eve Ball Drop, protecting dignitaries, chasing bad guys/gals, investigating crimes.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Possibly getting shot
Intense, competitive occupation
Assistant Chief (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 5, 2019
A typical day involved reviewing statistics and investigative actions from the prior day and conferring with commanders and supervisors at the 29 locations I was responsible for.
Pros
prestigious and important work
Cons
stressful, competitive

Want to know more about NYPD?

Ask a question
Decent department to work for starting out. Not a wise career choice.
Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 5, 2019
The pay is poor. Barely living wage. Best part about the job is the job security and the healthcare. Excellent entry level job, I wouldn’t advise anyone to stick around past that.
Pros
Health benefits, 401k etc.
Cons
The pay, hours you have to work to make a decent salary.
Interesting place depending on title
Crime Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 4, 2019
Advancement all depends on title and office or unit you work in/are assigned to generally speaking.

Make sure you know the job you signed up for. Periodt.
Nypd
Detective Investigator 2nd Grade (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 4, 2019
Joining the NYPD was one the best decisions I made in my lifetime. If you want great benefits for your family with pension after 20 years of service, I highly recommend this career field to anyone interested in law enforcement. In addition, if your looking to fight crime and up hold the law this is another reason to join the force. This is a brotherhood which you carry throughout your life.
Police Administrative Aide (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 1, 2019
The job was very interesting and secure. Good benefits. You deal with different kind of people. It's interesting being around police officers and civilians.
Pros
Near home
Cons
Pay
Job is meaningful, very rewarding to save lives, tremendous amount of learning on how to save lives, how city operates and etc took place
Police Communications Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 25, 2019
never boring, always fast paced, managers - some good/some not, hardest part - mandated overtime, enjoyable part saving lives & serving city/community
Pros
amount learned, the many friendships gained through co workers, althoug underpaid for the vast amount of work we do, pay is decent
Cons
Mandated overtime, implemented procedures that dont take into consideration the feedback of workers actually doing job
Something new everyday
Lieutenant Detective Squad Commander (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2019
NYPD has been a very good carrer for me. It allows for advancement and a good balance with your home life. I've had 31 years of service to the NYPD. The time has flown by because of the pace and uniqueness of the job. There is something for everyone who wants to be involved in law enforcement.
Pros
Salary and advancement
Cons
Commuting
Policing and communication within the communities is priceless
School Safety Agent (Current Employee) –  New York, NY 10007February 23, 2019
Being involved in any NYPD Society is beneficial ..a diverse work place is an experience ...paramilitary serves to disciplines minds to focus while working(policing)
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Short breaks
A lot of Politics and favoritism
Police Administrative Aide (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 23, 2019
Depending on where you work and who you work for determines your ability to progress throughout the department. If you have a Manager that is more into making friends than they are doing there job it will be a conflictional work environment. The decisions they makes will be based on if there friends like you or not and not on your work performance. They will promote there friends quicker than you and when they request your paperwork they will not send it to 1PP. Theres a saying its who you know and who you b!ow. It's sad because it has potential to be a great work environment if all the bad apples are weeded out. I actually liked this job until I encountered one PRAA that played stupid games. Despite all the nonsense I had a clean employment record my whole time there.
Pros
Great health benefits, flex-time
Cons
Low pay, idiocracy
great job
Quality Assurance/ Call Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 22, 2019
Such an incredible job. Very fast paced and I loved it ! From dealing with the great staff to learning something everyday. It was never a dull moment. Great benefits and I got my pension!
Pros
all the ovetime you want
Cons
no work /life balance
Great place for advancement
Investigator I (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2019
The NYPD has many different units providing an opportunity to advance in an area your are comfortable with and enjoy. What ever it is you love to do they a place for you. You will see and experience things most people won't throughout thier lifetime.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Can be difficult on home life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NYPD. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight