NYPD

NYPD Employee Reviews

United States1,189 reviews
Found 1,189 reviews matching the search
Great career
I retired from NYPD. If you want a job that is meaningful and offers lots of advancement opportunities, this is it.

Best Law Enforcement Agency in the World.
Good job
Good job. You will enjoy your time as a police officer or any position within the police department. Serve your community with love and respect and you will receive the same thing in return.
NYPD is what you make of it
there's a spot for everyone. narcotics, auto crime, vice, uniform, specialized units, anti terrorism. plenty of non enforcement positions too. it was a great job. theres a new flavor of the month and we address it. 23 years till pension and we got paid well. living in the city is very expensive and add tolls. enroll in all applicable pension plans and do OT. it could be a rewarding career.
boring
not for me. Preserve human life, and protect and maintain property. Patrols of subway, streets and schools in search of unlawful activity. Identify and prevent infiltration of unlawful or prohibited items through scanning, request identification, remove from premises any unauthorized persons. Aid sick and injured persons and call for medical help, police or fire assistance when needed.
RECOGNITIONS
Pros
pba card
Cons
everything
Life changing occupation
Becoming a NYPD officer helps a person to grow. The opportunity for advancement is there and if you put in the work and seek mentors others will help you. Starting salary could be higher but the potential rewards are worth taking the job.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Excellent retirement benefits.
It’s a job/career like a relative who abuses you. Then pays your way through college 🙃 Seriously It’s twenty years of work, then you are taken care of the rest of your life.
It’s an amazing job when you have the right bosses.
Good knowledgeable bosses comfortable in their ranks and position, usually ex military or Promoted bosses from housing and transit from my experiences made the most competent supervisors.

There is a job/place for everyone within the NYPD, all kinds of personalities Work experience, trades and work pace, even a place for inspiring actors,
It is a job that means well.
Being a police officer (in any rank) means that you get to help those in need. It also means that you can (if you wish to do so) learn more about the community you serve and assist them in variety of ways.

Unfortunately, the current leadership and the managerial ranks of the NYPD do not see the role of the police officer the way the community expects them to see it. Things can change, but they can only change with the complete replacement of the managerial personnel and the change of the current leadership style.
Excellent career.
There isn’t anything you couldn’t do on this Job from being a Homicide Detective all the way to a Helicopter Pilot, as long as your disciplined and patient, there isn’t anything you can’t accomplish
Pros
You control your own destiny.
Cons
Takes time and experience if that’s a Con
Weather
The hardest part of the job was the weather. Because we would be outside all year long. Rain, sleet or snow. And there were hardly and breaks sometimes
Wonderful benefits
I enjoyed my time with the company. Dealt with a few negatives (getting cursed out, lol the B word became my name while patrolling. I was also called a few racial slurs so you do need to have “tough skin” to work as a TEA), but overall it’s a good job and there’s great opportunity for advancement.
Policing is a very noble profession. Pay in the NYPD should be better than our counterparts in the suburbs.
I had a great career in the NYPD. I started out in a Bronx command, where I worked patrol, community affairs, grand larceny-auto unit, auxiliary police coordinator and training officer. I went on the teach at the police academy recruit school. You have opportunities to advance laterally and up. I would do it all again.
Great learning experience
While I was in college, I joined NYPD as a Police Cadet. They teach everything to become a police officer. I learned a lot there but unfortunately I couldn’t become a police officer.
Courtesy, professionalism and respect
It was my honor to work at NYPD. I have learned and experience a lot working as a Police Communication Technician. I was so happy that I could helped people when they need assistant.
Alot of security., judgemental
There is alot of growth and upward mobility if you take advantage of opportunity. You can help the community and gain the trust of outstanding citizens of nyc. You can prevent crimes from taken place by your presence and being alert.
Laziness
Best part is being able to hide and avoid helping anyone and still get paid! I also enjoy being on my meal break for over 8 hours every day and laugh all the way to the bank. Thanks NYC, your such a dump city anyeay
Pros
Being lazy
Cons
When people try to ask for help
Working for The New York City Police Department as a Police Communications Technician was extremely rewarding
I found the position rewarding. Helping the lives of others. Having a sense of purpose, for the good of my city made me feel like I made a difference in this large world.
Pros
Sense of purpose, helping others.
Cons
Time away from family, extensive mandated overtime.
The knowledge and respect. from police officers
Even with an hour commute to work, I did not mind the distance because the MTA trains were close by. Typically, I would clock in and begin inputting DNA vouchers from the Office of the Medical Examiner. When that was done, either the detectives, analysts, or civilians of the Crime Scene Unit would provide us with cases and go through case analysis. Occasionally, if the CSU received a call during normal work hours, they would take us to a crime scene and show us how they breakdown the analysis in real time. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that even as an intern, I was doing work that would aid in justice for victims of crimes. I always felt comfortable, and there was never any harassment, or otherwise uncomfortable behavior during my time with the New York Police Department.
Departamento de educacion bord educacion
Puntual ectrito en mis funciones velar por la seguridad de los estudiantes y la entidad por la cuál trabajo respeto a los estudiantes y personal de N.Y POLICE verificar que no introducción de material delictivo como drogas, armás de fuego armas blancas y registrar los bultos de los estudiantes
Impactful
Everyday is an adventure, you meet different people, good and bad. the hardest part of the job Is when you experience the things you normally don't see, the easiest part is leaving the ones you helped with a smile on their face.
Glad to be a NYPD Officer
Not an easy job, But a good career. An honor to have worn the uniform of the NYPD., Worked as a patrolman in Harlem out of the academy, Ran a sector in the 24th precinct also in Upper Manhattan.became a latent print technician. EMT qualified, Transferred to The Mounted unit which is a city wide unit and worked in every borough of NYC, Became the harness maker for the mounted unit prior to my retirement from the NYPD.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at NYPD. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.8
InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight