NYPD Employee Reviews

I enjoyed working for the NYPD, had a great career
Captain / Commanding Officer - Gang Squad (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 12, 2018
Highly recommended
The NYPD is not a job it is a career you get out of it what you put into it. During your career you have opportunities to move from unit to unit along with studying for promotional exams to become a boss in the police dept. As you career progresses you can influence the younger generations while learning from them as well.
Pros
Great vacation time good salary
Cons
Long hours changes in work schedule
A safe company to work for!
COMPUTER ASSOCIATE SOFTWARE (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 11, 2018
Yes, you can count on getting paid regularly and on time. It was just that there was no space reserved for my office. i was always on the verge of getting a new person in my space.
Computer Associate (Operations) (Current Employee) –  1 Police Plz. New York, NYDecember 11, 2018
Great experience and environment overall. Room for learning new things and building up experience. The benefits and perks are great. This is a company that provides a sense of importance.
Pros
Great place with room to grow.
Cons
IT is difficult to move up within departments.
Team work is absolutely necessary in the NYPD
School Safety Agent (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYDecember 9, 2018
My tour starts at 0630 and I am the first to arrive. I take the attendance of the other agents as they arrive and call in their attendance from other schools. I patrol the floors as the students arrive at school. I make sure that all the alarms are on all the exits on the first floor. The other agents and I assist each other as needed throughout the day. If we need help we ask for assistance over the radio and we resume our own duties after the situation is assessed and deemed stable.
Pros
healthcare, time off, hours
Cons
salary
productive but not such a good place to work
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2018
this is a job that is highly rewarding as long as you like doing police work and all that comes with it , there will be times you are hated for doing your job and there will be times that you are loved for doing your job there are times you will be forced to work
Pension , decent benifits
Traffic Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2018
If you are able to work and the job will let you work. Money can be made but at tje expense of the workers health. The extreme hot and cold temps make the job challenging as well as interacting with the public.
The best job in the world
Detective Investigator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 4, 2018
I retired from the police department in 2015. My time in the department was great, some of the best times in my life. I recommend this career choice to everyone.
Pros
The best police dept in the world
Cons
The morale is at an all time low
Rewarding
Administration Manager/Security (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 29, 2018
Nypd is a rewarding career, community driven, experience of a lifetime many advancement opportunities, securing the safety of others, to serve and protect the public building trust and friendship with the public.
Pros
Helping and saving people
great job /career
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  queens nyNovember 28, 2018
Really fun exciting and great part of my life!
Only left because did my 20 years!
Great lifetime benefits
Great friends and learned a lot
Proud to be part of NYPD
Nypd
NYPD Police Department (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 26, 2018
I would not suggest anyone be a police officer these days as the public had perceived cops in a total disregard for respect. I would suggest joining the Fire Department instead,
Auxiliary Police Officer
Auxiliary Police Officer (Former Employee) –  20th PrecinctNovember 25, 2018
This position was a volunteer position and that's why the yearly salary was $250.00 (uniform voucher). If your looking to get an inside look into the NYPD without becoming a cop then this is the way to go.
Dont bother
School Safety Agent (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 17, 2018
I worked in their school safety division. As a school safety agent don't bother it's a waste of time. I highly wouldn't recommend this job to my worst enemy.
Pros
Cons
Too much
great co-workers
Police Officer/Sergeant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 15, 2018
I was the Patrol Supervisor in Midtown Manhattan for almost 10 years that gave me so much experience. On a typical day I was charge and responsible for 40 Police Officers. Working in Midtown I was in charge of numerous events and details which included Trump Towers, Saint Patrick's Cathedral, Times Square, and other important tourist sites as well as residential areas. I was also involved with the recovery efforts after the World Trade Center attacks on September 11, 2001.
Pros
career advancement, work with good resources when called upon
Cons
commute to work with long hours
Good place busy
Police officer (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 14, 2018
Overall good experience made great friends and saved a lot of lives. Stress could be overwhelming you do lose friends and fellow officers in the line of duty and will see things that will bother you. Overall it’s a calling and not everyone can answer that calling.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
No breaks
Patrol and investigation
Detective, Gang Squad (Former Employee) –  brooklyn southNovember 14, 2018
I enjoyed my 20 years plus with the Department. Benefits were excellent. I worked with some of the best cops in the world. Eleven years on patrol and the next nine working investigations. first three were in transit, followed by city time in the 71 Pct.
Pros
stable work enviroment
Cons
public oversight
amazing career
Detective (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 12, 2018
will recommend it to anyone a typical day consist of answering out complaints, returning phone calls and assisting organizers with parades. I enjoy my career with the department it can be demanding at times but worth wild.
Excellent career
Deputy Inspector (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 10, 2018
I would recommend the NYPD to anyone wanting to join. There are unlimited opportunities within the organization for uniform and civilian members of the service. There is none better than the NYPD!!!
Pros
Making a difference in NYC!!
Cons
The pay could always be better.
Fulfilling 25 year career
Detective-NYPD (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2018
Fulfilling 25 year career in The New York City Police Department which had opportunities for advancement and growth. Good job security and retirement benefits.
Benefits
Exellent
SCHOOL CROSSING GUARD (Former Employee) –  Queens Village, NYNovember 8, 2018
Working with the police dept. Was very nice I would work with them again there's room for advancement
We work together as a team, I have no complaints at all nypd is a good city job.
Benefits
Retirement
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 7, 2018
• Responsible for and implemented orders for Police Officers and Detectives under my command.
• Provided duty instructions and supervised police activity at an operational level.
• Successfully coordinated and executed investigations, including narcotics criminal investigations and internal confidential investigations.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NYPD. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight