NYPD Culture reviews

Law enforcement
School Safety Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2019
Working for NYPD was a great experience for me on many different levels. Loved being in law enforcement and working as a team while dealing with juvenile offenders.
Interesting and challenging place to work and grow.
Custodial Supervisor, Asst to Sgt of Operations (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 19, 2019
It was a very good experience working there. l have learned a lot working with a diversified group of people from various ethnicities and cultures. Working for a specialized unit within the department gave me the opportunity to hone my skills as a supervisor of 15+ employees along with coordinating with fellow coworkers and management to meet the daily needs of operations.
Intense, competitive occupation
Assistant Chief (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 5, 2019
A typical day involved reviewing statistics and investigative actions from the prior day and conferring with commanders and supervisors at the 29 locations I was responsible for.
Pros
prestigious and important work
Cons
stressful, competitive
great learning experience
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 20, 2019
in general , good job . the management is not great . I enjoy doing my work and help people that needed my help and was a great feeling to be able to help them.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
poor management
Police Officer duties
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2019
As a police officer you are given a great amount of freedom to do your job , Like any job there are supervisors , management that makes sure your following procedure etc . Hardest part is the day in day out struggle of dealing with Death . Greatest part of job was the satisfaction when the people you serve appreciate you .
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Death
Great opportunity
Detective (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 27, 2018
I had a great career with the NYPD. Met lots of good people on and off the job. I had a 30 year career that flew by. The hardest part was working holidays and being away from family.
The Most unappreciated JOB!!!
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 20, 2018
The Job gives you the basic in the academy,but out on the street is where you learn how to survive,Having a Senior partner makes you life more full filling as long as he knows what he's doing.Protecting the public,interacting with different Cultures,observing drugs and crime in unusual location.Makes you Appreciate life,the way certain PEOPLE live and STRUGGLES they go through day to day!!
Pros
very exciting
Cons
stressful at times
Job position summary
SCG (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 19, 2018
Student population of millions and staff regarding the bd of ed. My review of this position is stressful and times uncooperative.Working for nypd is competitive and challenging. Any questions feel free to speak to supervisor.Needed of evaluations quarterly.
great job /career
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  queens nyNovember 28, 2018
Really fun exciting and great part of my life!
Only left because did my 20 years!
Great lifetime benefits
Great friends and learned a lot
Proud to be part of NYPD
best job on the planet
DETECTIVE (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 30, 2018
Loved working here and would have for another 20 but it was time to go. The culture has changed too much and millennials are a bunch of cry babies who need to be coddled. This is a job for adults, not children. Peoples lives are at risk
Pros
More than I can count
Cons
New hires
Great
Sergeant Detective Bureau (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 26, 2018
Great job with great people. I wouldn't change a thing. I love every moment of it. The bosses are great and so are your co workers. You will make many memories.
Benefits
Cons
Liberals
great job
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYSeptember 15, 2018
I loved working for the NYPD. The job was stressful, demanding, and difficult. However, the job was rewarding, gratifying, fun, and learned about many different people and cultures. Miss it!
Pros
great job
Cons
stressful
Great Learning Experience
NY Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2018
The NYPD was and will always be my favorite and my dream job. I met great people from all walks of life, from helping strangers to making the area that I was patrolling safe. The camaradie displayed amongst the Police Officers is second to none. It was just an extreme pleasure to be part of such a great and exciting team.
Pros
Interacting with different people everyday and making people feel safe.
Cons
Have none
Always something to do
Maintenance-CCA (Former Employee) –  1243 Stillwell Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11224 TD#34September 10, 2018
Police district I worked had an atmosphere of high competiveness and a overall sense of too many chiefs little Indians. But all in all it was an great place of unity when you broke it down.
Pros
Too cmpetitive of a work area
Cons
Great family atmosphere lots of unity
Blood Money
POLICE OFFICER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 29, 2018
It has been the worst time of my life being employed by the NYPD. There is really bad rap3 culture and constant harassment. Work/life balance is horrible and constantly in danger. The lazy cops get all the positions in special units and the ones who work hard have to struggle away on patrol. I got hurt too many times from being in horrible situations. Never again. Getting out early before this job causes me heart failure or to commit suicide like some of my friends have done.
Pros
LIRR Pass and Subway Pass
Cons
No breaks, no relief, too stressful
good environment
Police Administrative aide- Uniform Assignment (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 14, 2018
I work with a great group of people. The workload is sometimes heavy, but together we get the job done. The bosses are very easy to work with. I recommend this job.
Had a great 20 years
New York City Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2018
I learned a great deal in integrty professionalism courtesy for everyone the ability to be fai and honest with everyone learned self defensive and computer software
Pros
Friendly understanding learn a great deal
It's the NYPD
New York City Police Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Detective BureauAugust 10, 2018
The New York City Police Department is arguably the most famous police agency in the world. There is nothing I can say here that hasn't already been said countless times in other places. Police work in general is stressful, demanding, dangerous and can be very rewarding. Multiply that by 100 and that's the NYPD.
Pros
Comprehensive benefits and a strong union. Tremendous resources.
Cons
All police work has the same cons. The NYPD adds higher levels of politics and bureaucracy
Productive and professional work place.
Computer Associate Software (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2018
The NYPD was a great place to work. The benefits were excellent.
My mangers were very professional and fair with everyone. There was always a lot of work and I loved that because it may my day pass very fast.
Excellent career opportunity
Senior Police aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2018
Working for Nypd has been more pleasurable than any other full time job I have ever had. I have nothing negative to say about the job excellent benefits great people and location
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Lot of work/busy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NYPD. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight