NYPD Employee Reviews

N/a
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2018
This was the beginning of my career. Great place to work, but had to prepare myself for what I was witness to on a daily basis. The stress of the job was not worth the initial pay.
Fun fast paced and energetic company to work for
School Safety Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of interacting with the students ag nd faculty,learning how the penal system works, the hardest part of the job was having to place children in handcuffs,the most enjoyable part was helping and being able to give the students advice and seeing them accomplish goals.
Pros
unlimited overtime, health benefits, paid vacation
Productive and fun workplace
Nypd Explorers (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2018
There was a lot of competition and it was an amazing experiece to get along with everyone. I also met a lot of important people with big positions. You learn many things from this job like how to communicate. You also get lots of community service credits,so if you are still in school it helps fill out your credits.
Pros
Free lunches
the behavior is normal
Police Administrative Aide/ Payroll Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 27, 2018
I've learned how to communicate with my staff on a professional level. Being a self-stater helped my work efficient. The culture at the workplace produce great result. The hardest part of the job is the overtime.
Fun place because of some of the people you work with
POLICE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 24, 2018
I have nothing bad to say about the NYPD, I have learned a lot, I meet a lot of good people some of which I am still very good friends with. Throughout my career, I have effectively addressed the precinct’s crime and quality of life conditions, while maintaining the department’s standard of courtesy, professionalism, and respect for the community for which I serve. My activity, sick record, and disciplinary record have all been well within department standards, while at the same time I have received few community complaints. My ability to positively interact with my peers and superiors will serve me well in this assignment. I’m
Outstanding memories
Police Officer / Academy Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2018
I retired after my 20 years in 2010 and now work in the private sector. Man oh man, do I miss the people and the comradery amongst the troops. It's amazing how in the private job world everyone one is out to do you in. In the NYPD your fellow cops were always at your side and had your back at a moments notice. That's what I miss.
Pros
Great retirement system.
Cons
Your dealing with the scum of the earth most days.
great job
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 23, 2018
great job and people with opportunity to grow. you can move up the ranks by just taking a test. learned how to interact with people in day to day basis
Great Organization to work for
Senior Police Administrative Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2018
The New York City Police Department is a great place to work if you are looking for a stable, long term job opportunity with the option to advance your career..
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Long hours at times
Protect the lives & property of the citizens of NY
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 21, 2018
Put on my uniform and given assignments and tactical plan for the tour of duty. Went out and tried to complete the objectives at hand to the best of my ability and training. Protected the citizens of NY and referred victims of crimes to appropriate agencies.
Pros
The feeling of helping someone is very rewarding.
Cons
Can be stressful and dangerous at times.
n/a
Police Communications Technician (PCT) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 21, 2018
I wish to not give my written opinion regarding my position at the New York City Police Department. My opinion is one that will be expressed verbally.
I love my job.
Police Administrative Aid (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 20, 2018
I love my job, its a matter of change of lifestyle.I work in a peaceful and calm atmosphere. Ive made lots of friends, over the course of 11 years on the job. I have worked in three locations. First location was Roll Call Department, and then Complaint Room, now I work in Payroll Department. I cant complain. I gain plenty of knowledge working in different area in the department. I had the opportunity to interact with the public.
The culture there in a mixture. Its really nice to learn other people culture, and beliefs. Although after 11 years they become family. You care for them like there are your family.
The hardest part of the job is knowing when I first got hired that I couldn't transfer out of New York to Florida, because Florida is a State, and I work for the city.
The most enjoyable time the we get together for Christimas and other pct events. I haven't attend some in a long while after 11 year in a job everything is pretty much the same. However, its nice to know that we can get together as a family. And just talk.
Cons
I learned skills, but I did face discrimination
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2018
I would like to say that I don't regret interning for the NYPD, and that I learned a lot of valuable skills that I can bring to future employers. I made great connections who I still keep in touch with.

With that being said, the culture there is not nice and there is favoritism that's painfully blatant. The moment I started, I was treated unfairly and rudely. I was disrespected a lot.

It's cut throat and stressful. It opened my eyes to the culture and made me realize that my involvement with the NYPD will not go beyond the internship.
Pros
You learn valuable skills that are transferable to other jobs
Cons
Favoritism, cut throat, politics
Interesting job with great colleagues
Police Officer through Captain (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 18, 2018
If you are interested in helping people in a job that is always different and never boring, and has a high level of camaraderie, then this is the place for you. Only downside, is upper management is very political, ruthless and cowardly. They will only back up the rank and file if it is in their political interests.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Ruthless upper management
protect life
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2018
love being a police officer in new York city. protecting life is what I was born for. this job isn't for everyone must have a strong mind set. If you do it for the money your in the wrong business..
Pros
over time
Cons
lots of walking
Work as a team with a purpose
Detective Bureau - Investigations Unit (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2018
Pride in work and community efforts. Always challenging and rewarding. The men and women are some of the best in the world. They are very professional and courageous.
excellent job
School Safety Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2018
perfect place to work
learned how to listen more to people
the work place culture is great
the is no hard part of the job when you love what you do
Fantastic and challenging career
Detective (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2018
Fantastic and challenging career with multiple career paths, including patrol services for the community and complex investigations working closely with multiple law enforcement agencies along side prosecutor offices.
Fast paced friendly place
Police Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  UsaJanuary 10, 2018
As a call taker I received calls from the community and notifying the proper emergency assistance, As a dispatcher I sent the police officers to the location given by the call taker, while informing them of the information typed on the job for example clothing descriptions or apartment numbers as well as how many calls for this location at that time.
Pros
very clean restrooms and lunch areas.
Cons
various breaks, different times everyday
Exciting and interesting experience
Police Officer assigned to Highway Patrol (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn New YorkJanuary 10, 2018
The NYPD is a fast-moving exciting place with plenty of advancement and movement throughout the department . Dealing with multiple nationalities and races throughout your career learning different ethnic cultures . Experience and making a lot of friends working no more us the details parades and dealing with the public on an every day basis
Pros
Being a police officer helping others
Cons
Dealing with stressful situations
The load is heavy
Police Communication Technician (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NY 11201January 9, 2018
Police dispatchers are over work led and under paid. It is great for young people starting off in the working world and use this as a stepping stone. The pay is descent but benefits were excellent.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NYPD. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8

2.7Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight