Nystrom & Associates Employee Reviews

This is a good place to work
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  New Brighton, MNApril 4, 2018
Having worked at multiple types of employers, I can say that this company does a good job. The positions are fast-paced and that can sometimes be overwhelming. However, the managers care and the rest of the team is supportive. People are always willing to jump in and help. I haven't found these types of great coworker relationships at any other company, and it is something I really value here at NAL. You don't feel like the therapists are more important than you; they tend to all be very appreciative of your work. Plus being able to make a positive difference in peoples lives is great!
Like I said, it can be stressful sometimes, but overall, its a good place to work.
Pros
Free lunches, great coworkers are very supportive, therapists are nice and approachable
Cons
It is very busy. Some days can be overwhelming.
Overall Good experience
Administrative (Current Employee) –  New Brighton, MNMarch 29, 2018
Every company has its pros and cons. I felt that NAL wanted to allow for work/life balance while at the same time asked for you to work hard when you are at work. The positions can be really fast-paced, but coworkers tend to become family. If you are looking for a good place to get a start in Mental Health - this is an excellent opportunity for you. You will learn a ton, you will be challenged, but you will also meet a lot of great people.
Pros
Free lunches, managers allow you to focus on your work, coworkers are very supportive
Cons
Can occasionally be stressful, it is very fast-paced.
Horrible Management
Office Staff (Former Employee) –  DuluthMarch 12, 2018
Management is horrible. They are degrading and comfrontatial instead of supportive and motivating. The atmosphere is constant fear, anxiety, and mistrust. For a mental health clinic, they have no idea how to treat their staff appropriately.
Pros
Pay is decent for this area
Cons
Benefits aren’t great, management is awful, stress is overwhelming, too much drama
Tough Job and Low Wages
ARMHS Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMarch 9, 2018
First let me say that I was lucky to have the supervisor I had or I would not have made it for as long as I did. The work was stressful, often times going into client's homes that were less than hygienic. The paperwork demands and reporting meant that I took work home and was not paid for it. I loved the clients themselves and the work was impactful. The company just did not provide enough support or wages to make up for the rewards of the job.
Pros
The clients
Cons
Pace of work, paperwork and demands of the position
High demand
Physician Assistant- Psychiatry (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNFebruary 27, 2018
Wonderful colleagues, Ample training, some amazing people but many in management lacked adequate leadership qualities which made things miserable at times. Benefits are lacking espaecially retirement and health benefits. Medical director is amazing and very supportive of all.
Pros
Set own hours
Cons
Limited breaks, high demand to be full by admin
Great team, satisfying work
Lead Support Staff (Current Employee) –  New Brighton, MNFebruary 7, 2018
I love my job. I love the people I work with. I enjoy interacting the with patients. I’ve worked here for over a year and have been able to move up. Management does a great job watching and being aware of staff strengths and weaknesses and tries to move them into roles that suit them best. I like being part of a company that cares about patients and staff.
You are expected to do your job and do it well but there is PLENTY of support to help staff who struggle. The job is fast paced and can be stressful but again - we have a very supportive team that make all the difference.
Pros
Supportive management and team, lunches, patient interaction, flexible management
Cons
Health insurance, pay
Fast paced, Consistent work, always something to do.
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  New Brighton, MNJanuary 2, 2018
Work is challenging and learn new things everyday. In my line of work account reconciliation, enjoy researching and problem solving of unpaid claims. Hardest part of the job is seeing management advance people whom are favorites and not qualified for the job. My part of the job that is most enjoyable, is seeing a claim get paid that you have diligently worked on, get paid.
Great work environment, but low pay.
Outpatient Therapist (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNNovember 1, 2017
Great work environment, excellent manager, but low pay and little benefits. The co-workers were excellent, great to collaborate with.

The low pay and high clients load were difficult to manage.
Pros
Free lunches, awesome director
Cons
low pay and little benefits.
Stressful work, great coworkers
Intake and Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Arden Hills, MNAugust 21, 2017
Most of the job comprised of receiving patient calls, scheduling them based on caregivers' availability, qualifying insurance and following through on appointments.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Healthcare, stress of answering calls very quickly
high stress job with no time to decompress
Support Staff Specialist (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJuly 12, 2017
A typical day at work is compiled of "tasks" that you need to complete (which is essentially things that are assigned to the support staff by the higher up staff) aka busy work. Also, you have additional side duties that must be completed daily. Although you have a large work load that needs to be done in a timely manner you will also be expected to keep a smile on your face no matter how the clientele entering the clinic is treating you and will be expected to put them first at foremost. The management does not value how much work the support staff actually do and most the time will walk up and give you even more work to do. The culture is the best part of the job. The coworkers were about the only positive aspect of the job, they would always help out when needed. The hardest part of the job is the amount of work given (especially at times of high turn over) and the lack of pay and respect given to the support staff which essentially run the clinic itself.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
management, pay, respect, stress
very hypocritical
Chemical Dependency and Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNJuly 7, 2017
Although I had many challenges working with the team, I truly enjoyed helping the clients and meeting their needs. I loved doing indiviual therapy and teaching.
Very fast past
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  New Brighton, MNJune 10, 2017
Working at Nystrom was very stressful, the staff was young and immature, the training was horrible I was with a different person everyday of my training and most of the employees didn't speak I wouldn't recommend working here.
Pros
Cons
1 30 minute break throughout your whole shift
Fast paced work environment with good PTO
Support Staff Specialist (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNJune 10, 2017
I loved this job and how fast paced everything was. Since you're working in a mental health out patient clinic, you need to make sure that your mental health is in good shape. I found this out the hard way. The only reason I left was because I realized I was not cut out for the job. PTO was amazing. You got 4 hours for every 70 hours worked and thats the most I've ever received for a job. If you can compartmentalize what happens at work and enjoy a fast paced work environment, this is the job for you.
Fast paced, always busy, and client orientated.
Intake & Scheduling Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Arden Hills, MNJune 4, 2017
I have been an employee at Nystrom & Associates, LTD for 1.5 years. I enjoy the fast pace of the company, there is always work to be done. For the most part, everyone is very friendly and put the needs of our clients above all. This, however, is where the problem came in for me. The clinic seems to have a high turnover rate with employees, new employees to be specific. HR and Management are so focused on hiring as many people as they can so that more calls can be taken and the patients can be assisted as quickly as possible. This causes the training of the new employees, two being trained at once, to become shortened. I believe that if the company promoted more existing and qualified employees to train new staff, and provide one on one training, the turnover rate would decrease.

Overall, the company and it's goal is great, but the management needs assistance in providing their employees with the training and appreciation that they deserve.
Great Advancement opportunities, and many great people to work with!
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNJanuary 25, 2017
Very fast paced job, you need to be very good at multi-tasking and managing stress.
Great place to work, the Apple Valley clinic is small, your coworkers feel like family.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Can be stressful at times
solid company to work for.
Lead Mental Health Practitioner in PFBD Department (Current Employee) –  New Brighton, MNJanuary 5, 2017
I enjoy the flexibility of community based services. Supervisors are supportive and understanding. I love that Nystroms provides many types of services which provide an opportunity for learning and job options.
Low pay and high stress job. The training was horrible.
Support Staff Specialist (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNDecember 26, 2016
This job is horrible. The compensation from the stress and minimal training does not compensate from the low pay. I was critique every week until they told me that maybe this field isn't for me. I tried to ask for additional help and was told that the 2 days of vague training was all I need. Management team favored females and since I was a minority as well I felt that I was discriminated against since I was not white and I was not a female.
Cons
No Breaks for PM shift, High Stress, Poor Management, Minimal Training

Comment – December 29, 2016

Management was incompetent, unprofessional, and emotional. Work environment was like stepping on pins and needles. I would not recommend working here.

Terrible from top to bottom
Intake Coordinator (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaNovember 24, 2016
When the providers that care for patients point out the CEO and founder decorates the clinics in a way to make people sad and not get better so "we" can make more money you know you are working for a one great company. Managers micromanage, you are over worked and under paid once you make it past front desk duties, 15 days vacation is not enough for how stressful dealing with management and angry patients day in and day out is. You will work with toxic employees that will talk poorly about the company all day long and the moment you say something they will turn around and rat you out. Another big thing is this place has a gossip policy... this is the only company i have worked for that has this.. i wonder why they do??? Some days it's worth it but most days it's not.
Pros
Some great co workers, free lunches at some clinics, get to make some patients' day
Cons
Everything else
Negative experience with management and Human Resources
Support Staff Specialist (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNSeptember 29, 2016
Management is uneducated and rude to employees. They do not respect employees. It has a horrible atmosphere created my the management and this will only change if they re-evaluate the management and human resource team.
Cons
Bad atmosphere, poor management
Stressful
Support Staff Specialist (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJanuary 25, 2016
Insufficient training and a stressful, unorganized atmosphere made the job unbearable. Only given one 30 minute, unpaid lunch for a full-length shift. Co-workers were young and often times immature.
Cons
Short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nystrom & Associates. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9

2.6Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight