Nystrom & Associates Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  New Brighton, MNMay 9, 2019
The culture here is incredible. Every person you encounter is nice, friendly, and willing to help you learn. No matter what position you hold in the company expect to work hard with lot's of support. The management is always seeking ways to improve the day to day environment of all positions. Each position is very collaborative and intertwines with the other positions. No one is an island. We all work together to provide excellent patient care to our clients.
Horrible place to work
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Brighton, MNApril 5, 2019
Nystrom & Associates prides itself on helping others but really only cares about the money, not the patient/clients. There is little to no respect for their employees and you are, just a number. If you have an idea it is not heard or appreciated. Don't bother with this place. I wish I would not have.
Pros
work hours
Cons
everything else
April 18, 2019

Thank you for commenting that you enjoyed your work hours as a pro to the job. Whenever possible we do like to allow flexibility for our staff to promote a healthy work/life balance. We are slightly confused as to what role you may have played in our organization. You listed yourself as an “Executive Administrative Assistant” to date our company has not employed anyone by this job title, or in this role. We think you maybe referring to our Administrative Assistant role that supports our Admin and HR teams, if that is the role you are referring to you would know that our Administrative Assistant sits in our HR Team meetings where we consistently have round-robin style forums for staff to discuss ideas, projects, or ask for the support they need to complete their duties from the team of 9 people in those meetings. Our style and culture is very collaborative and many meetings take place throughout the week that specifically include employees at all levels in our organization, from a variety of departments to share ideas, and implement changes across the organization.
Additionally, we think it’s good for the readers of this review to know that the Administrative Assistant who quit recently (who likely wrote this review) had a terrible attendance record and was out several days each week which was causing her to become behind in her work (and causing her stress). We were flexible and allowed her the time off that she needed for personal reasons and offered to have other staff assist with her job duties although she refused. She abruptly quit without notice even though we accommodated  more... her. Simply stated, the role was not a good fit for her and we wish her the best in the future.  less

Unpleasant and hostile environment
Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNMarch 14, 2019
Little to no supervision. No help when asked. Lest to figure things out on my own, coworkers very unwelcoming, supervisors did not have time for supervision due to spending their time making more money with the Production Model of pay.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Hostile environment
April 18, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We also appreciate that you mention we have good benefits. Each our LADC’s week long new hire training which is led by a Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC). They also have an orientation with the office manager at their assigned location. Additionally, they meet with their site supervisor (a LADC) frequently attend and attend weekly case consultation meetings with their supervisor. So the comments here about lack of supervision doesn’t not accurately align with our organizations structure. Any employee who wants more supervision or guidance, we would gladly provide. Also, our LADC’s participate in 30, 60, and 90 day new hire check ins with program managers and directors specifically so those staff are not left to feel like they must figure things out on their own. Your comment about hostile environment is concerning to us and we are wondering if you reported this to HR or to your supervisor so it could have been properly followed up on.

If I Could Rate Them 0 Starts, I Would...
Patient Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMarch 12, 2019
I started off as a Support Staff specialist, and quickly moved into Registration, then the Patient Care Coordinator position. The only positives: I loved my co-workers, and the providers were awesome as well. Sometimes, providers would give us free lunches.
Now the negatives:
1. Management & upper management were rude, unprofessional, and did not know how to treat their employees. I feel the office managers should at least have some mental health knowledge/training, because they are just clueless & don't understand that employees can also suffer from mental health issues as well. Support Staff were treated very poorly - they gave out "small tasks" for you to complete on your shift on top of everything else the job already demands. They really do not care about your well-being/emotional well-being either. I remember one time specifically, an angry client came and shoved everything off the desks, and intimidated the front desk workers; he even tried to reach for one of my female co-workers. This client caused $1100 worth of damage. The interim office manager (who was the rudest, most unprofessional person I've ever met) at that time made us go back to work literally two minutes after everything happened, and did not check in with any of us to make sure we were okay. They did not term the patient for his behavior either, which made us all really uncomfortable and nervous for when angry clients came up to the desk. When the office manager was at a meeting offsite, the Support Staff would "man" the office. The office manager could never be reached, and we were disciplined when
  more... we made the "wrong" decision.
2. If you are a student or a parent, this job is not for you. They told me once I started graduate school, they would support my schedule. After a year of this, they brought me into the office with the district manager televised, and told me they could no longer support my schedule, and basically made me choose them or my schooling. How fair is that? Who forces someone to make that decision? Also, if my son was sick, and I had to call in, they made you feel guilty about it. Management however, could leave at anytime if their children were sick... makes no sense.
3. The stress of this job gets to you. It is very demanding and fast-paced. You have to deal with angry clients in person and over the phone all the time. It started to effect my home life, and my relationship with my significant other and son. Even with self-care, you feel drowned by this job.
4. You don't get paid enough for everything you put up with here - clients & management especially. The benefits are horrible as well.
Overall, I do not recommend working for this company. When I become a licensed therapist, you couldn't pay me enough to work there again. This place is damaging to your emotional well-being.
Pros
Fun co-workers, sometimes free lunch
Cons
Literally everything else
May 9, 2019

Thank you so much for leaving a review and pointing out we have great coworkers and awesome providers. We think so too. Overall it sounds like your experience was not what you were hoping for or expecting in working for our company. We are sorry to hear that. As to your point the Office Managers should at least have some mental health knowledge/training we do provide de-escalation training from many of our qualified therapists to our Office Managers and Support staff alike. Our Office Managers typically come from an internal promotion and have the support of the on sight Clinical Site Directors when it comes to escalated patient situations as you described above. All of our Clinical Site Directors are licensed therapists so they do have mental health knowledge/training. Many of our Support Staff have reported enjoying the “small tasks” aka: side tasks in addition to their day to day functions. Many have stated that they enjoy those side tasks as it helps break up their day, gives them something else to do when they need a small mental health break throughout the day. Essentially we know there isn’t much we can say to change your mind about your experience here, we wish we would have been given the opportunity to address your concerns while you were an employee in a way that could have made your departure a better one. We wish you the best of luck in all your future endeavors.

Mental Health Clinic continually trying to improve
PATIENT CARE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaMarch 2, 2019
Since starting at NAL I have noticed administrators have tried to improve the work environment for their employees but they have a little ways to go. Plenty of opportunities for advancement and movement, a willingness to employ entry level and train, and a positive work environment. However, as a mental health clinic the value of employee mental health is not of importance, some inexperienced management, and slow to make changes.
Pros
Training, willing to use technology for remote meetings, works towards mission
Cons
minimal benefits, inconsistent policies
May 9, 2019

Thank you so much for a 4 star review! We appreciate the time you took to comment on the fact that the administrators have tried to improve the work environment.
We are always seeking input from our staff to see what can be improved upon. We would love to know what we could do to change that 4 stars into 5 stars. You mention some inexperienced management; being we don’t know what location you are based out of it is hard to speak to that as we don’t know who oversees you; but let’s take a shot at it… As you point out we have plenty of opportunities for advancement and we take great pride in that we have a culture of promoting from within. We know that internal promotions can often come with a learning curve especially when it means that a staff member was promoted from among peers into a leadership position. There can certainly be growing pains from that. Our managers attend weekly check ins with their supervisors, regular training meetings with other supervisors in their similar positions and also get training from other management resources related to management principles, supervision of other employees and personal growth. Being a Patient Care Coordinator with our organization means you are overseen by our Office Managers (OM’s) Our OM’s typically have at least a year of experience within our company itself prior, and have held support staff, patient care coordinator, or other similar positions. They also are trained by an experienced staff member from our Operations team who has previously held an Office Manager position. This side by side training can last anywhere from  more... several weeks up to a couple of months. Being that you are a current employee we would love to talk to you more about the inconsistent policies you mention and any ideas you have to help our managers gain some more experience. We are always trying to improve so your feedback is important to us so we can do better. We also would love to talk to you about some options that are imbedded in our various benefits we offer that can help support a staff member and their own or families mental health. Some of the ways we make our staff members mental health a priority is offering flexible scheduling when possible, generous PTO package, 401(k) match to help with future goals, financial wellness seminars to help alleviate the stress often caused by budgeting, just to name a few. Additionally employees are encouraged to ask their supervisor for breaks after a hard phone call, or a hard situation they may have encountered. Again, being that you are a current employee please feel free to reach out to discuss any of this. You can email us at humanresources@nystromcounseling.com or call us at 651-379-1774. We greatly appreciate your feedback.  less

ARMHS worker
ARMHS worker (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNFebruary 5, 2019
It was community based mental health work, lots ps- different clients and meeting environments. I enjoyed the variety and freedom the position allowed.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
Lots of time spent in the car
May 9, 2019

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our company. Our ARMHS employees often times have a difficult job but their work is incredibly rewarding.
We are so excited that you enjoyed your time here and the pace of the ARMHS in home position. We certainly commend you for doing a job that is not for the faint of heart; even if it did involve a lot of time spent in the car.
Please know those hours spent driving to clients meeting place of choice made a difference when you finally where able to meet up with them and guide them on their skills work. Hope all is going well for you!

Excellent Work Place
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNJanuary 15, 2019
I received my clinical supervision from NAL and really feel that I am able to collaborate with my fellow practitioners. I recommend working for this company.
Passionate about supportive care for behavior health management
Certified Nurse Practitioner- Child Psychiatry (Current Employee) –  New Brighton, MNDecember 6, 2018
Nystrom strives to meet individuals where they are.
I was able to choose my hours and plan for supervision as well as case consultations. I enjoy my families that I work with and I enjoy being influential in the lives of young people at tough stages. The culture of the workplace is very humble and supportive, wholistic and positive environment.

The hardest part of the job is working with difficult family situations when dealing with inconsistent and disrupted parenting.
Pros
free lunches, lots of potlucks and parties
Cons
busy days- lots of charting
Terrible company to work for.
Clinician (Former Employee) –  New Brighton, MNNovember 26, 2018
I would not recommend working for this company. It has a dictatorial system of management by a small group of unprofessional individuals. Often, 'it's our policy' is the only rationale given to employees for management decisions.
Pros
Employees are professionals, dedicated to providing good care to the clients. The managment takes advantage of this.
Cons
Terrible company, terrible managment.
Its a good company over all
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNOctober 28, 2018
Over all it's a great company to work for, just not a fit in my location. You are paid well for the type of work you do, your coworkers are helpful. The management needs some work.
Pros
Good work experience
Cons
Poor management
Great Company
Patient Financial Services (Current Employee) –  New Brighton, MNOctober 19, 2018
I have worked here for over 6 years, it has been a great experience. It is a good company that puts patients first. The employees are dedicated and there to assist as needed.
Amazing Experience but varies Office to Office
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNOctober 17, 2018
I spent my time as a Support Staff working at one of the Metro clinics. I switched shifts several times as fellow staff left and more favorable hours opened up. My coworkers and in-office management were the best part of the job- the collaboration and family-like environment make it a personally rewarding workplace.
Your day itself can be fast paced depending on the patient count for the day. Some of our busy days had over 300 patients daily, however, the slower days were closer to 80 patients. Multi-tasking is a must, as is an understanding of the mental health industry. Like with every customer service/front desk-type position there will be days you get yelled at and deal with rude or angry patients- unfortunately it comes with the territory but the team environment and support helps significantly.
Benefits were not ideal. Health insurance was expensive and did not have the best coverage- the deductibles were high even for the "low deductible plan". There is dental and vision coverage as well.
Your experience can vary office to office and depending on the fellow staff. I had an amazing experience with the company and recommend it if you're looking for a "foot-in-the-door" to the mental health industry and want to learn more.
Pros
Supervisors, coworkers, family enviroment
Cons
healthcare, stressful situations
Offers many services for clients
Outpatient Therapist (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MNOctober 5, 2018
Nystrom and Associates, LTD. uses a comprehensive approach to mental health offering a variety of services for it's patients. Employee benefits include free continuing education credits.
Hard-Working Company-Willing to serve all
Psychotherapist (Current Employee) –  New Brighton, MNSeptember 3, 2018
This is a company with high integrity and willingness to serve all people. Upper Management and administration work hard to listen to employees and make any changes necessary for job retention. Most importantly; the employees are hard-working and try to take effective and ethical care of their patients.
Pros
Almost everything
Cons
Fast pace can be stressful
Nal
Support Staff Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 23, 2018
Fast paced for environment, must be able to stay organized and multi-task. Lots of face to face contact with patient's. Good workplace culture and training was received.
This is a good place to work
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  New Brighton, MNApril 4, 2018
Having worked at multiple types of employers, I can say that this company does a good job. The positions are fast-paced and that can sometimes be overwhelming. However, the managers care and the rest of the team is supportive. People are always willing to jump in and help. I haven't found these types of great coworker relationships at any other company, and it is something I really value here at NAL. You don't feel like the therapists are more important than you; they tend to all be very appreciative of your work. Plus being able to make a positive difference in peoples lives is great!
Like I said, it can be stressful sometimes, but overall, its a good place to work.
Pros
Free lunches, great coworkers are very supportive, therapists are nice and approachable
Cons
It is very busy. Some days can be overwhelming.
Overall Good experience
Administrative (Current Employee) –  New Brighton, MNMarch 29, 2018
Every company has its pros and cons. I felt that NAL wanted to allow for work/life balance while at the same time asked for you to work hard when you are at work. The positions can be really fast-paced, but coworkers tend to become family. If you are looking for a good place to get a start in Mental Health - this is an excellent opportunity for you. You will learn a ton, you will be challenged, but you will also meet a lot of great people.
Pros
Free lunches, managers allow you to focus on your work, coworkers are very supportive
Cons
Can occasionally be stressful, it is very fast-paced.
Horrible Management
Office Staff (Former Employee) –  DuluthMarch 12, 2018
Management is horrible. They are degrading and comfrontatial instead of supportive and motivating. The atmosphere is constant fear, anxiety, and mistrust. For a mental health clinic, they have no idea how to treat their staff appropriately.
Pros
Pay is decent for this area
Cons
Benefits aren’t great, management is awful, stress is overwhelming, too much drama
Horrible Owner and Upper Management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New BrightonMarch 11, 2018
If you want to work for a company that hides behind the Bible and only cares about lining there pockets with money then this is the place for you. A very cut throat company. The giant signs on there buildings screams arrogance. The benefits are terrible and your value there is appreciated on the surface when in actuality they don’t care one bit about you.
Tough Job and Low Wages
ARMHS Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMarch 9, 2018
First let me say that I was lucky to have the supervisor I had or I would not have made it for as long as I did. The work was stressful, often times going into client's homes that were less than hygienic. The paperwork demands and reporting meant that I took work home and was not paid for it. I loved the clients themselves and the work was impactful. The company just did not provide enough support or wages to make up for the rewards of the job.
Pros
The clients
Cons
Pace of work, paperwork and demands of the position
April 18, 2019

Thank you so much for mentioning you were lucky to have the supervisors you did; we happen to believe we have some of the best!
We do acknowledge that the work can be stressful and often times the clients homes can be “less than hygienic” like you mention, most people can appreciate that as an organization we have little to no control over the condition of our clients living environment and often times that is why they have sought services with our organization to help them build skills to improve in this area. Of course if a home is unsafe we encourage our in-home providers to meet with the client outside them home, either at a local coffee shop, community center, or other environment of the client/providers choosing. As an organization our programs are regulated by the MN Department of Human Services (DHS) so the paperwork guidelines are put in place by DHS, and other regulatory bodies, to protect our vulnerable client population, and we have to abide by these. We are open to providing the support any of our employees need to help them be successful in their job. We do this by providing, regular 1:1 supervision meetings, offer many free and reduced priced Continuing Education Units (CEU) to further our providers training, conduct regular all staff meetings, and supervisors that are often just a call or text away for troubleshooting various situations. We are always open to ideas on how we can better support our staff in the field and on the job and often ask for these ideas through regular check ins with our program directors, HR staff, and supervisors. If you are still employed  more... with our organization, please feel free to reach out to humanresouces@nystromcounseling.com and we would be happy to discuss those ideas.  less

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nystrom & Associates. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight