O'Brien and Associates

O'Brien and Associates insights

Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness

Trash

This place was horrible. Do not care about the LPO’s just about keeping their contract. Pay is trash, and you will be stressed everyday of your life while working here. My advice, do not stress and don’t care about the stops requirement because they will let you go as soon as they want. Leave on your own terms!

Pros

Nothing at all

Cons

Everything else after that

Only in it for the experience

I am still currently employed by O'Brien and Associates. However upper management from the state supervisor/corporate level needs serious revamping if they are going to make it long term with good employees (LPOs). Most regional managers are relaxed and respectful of their LPs and encourage productivity and engagement in the job. Corporate O'Brien and state supervisors need training on how to manage an LP company. This can be a quality company if it wasn't for the wrong people being in the wrong positions at the company. State supervisors often will tell base LPs about fake raises and fake positions that will be available to LPs once they hit a certain tenure however they are lies to make state supervisors feel better and try to keep good LPs that produce quality numbers.

Pros

Paid Lunch breaks

Cons

State Management of IL

Horrible company to work for

If I could give this place 0 stars I would. You get no sick days, no pto, no personal days, the insurance for the good one is 6-10,000$ deductible. You get nitpicked at for everything you do. You are watched on camera 24/7 so leaning back in your chair for 2 seconds to stretch because you have been sitting for so long, you supposidly look too confortable and get yelled at. If an emergency happens you are mandated to work your 40 hours a week so therefore you cant deal with the emergency you just get to work. This place is a joke. I started this job excited and appreciative of the opportunity and ended it almost 3 months later resentful and dreading to go into work. Drama drama drama.

Pros

The pay is decent

Cons

everything but the pay is a con.

Do not bother with these people

There's nothing special about this place. You sit in a tiny dark room and try to catch people shoplifting using their camera system. It's very easy once you get the hang of it, but also very mentally draining. Now, the company doesn't care about you. Benefits are bare minimum, no PTO, no sick days, no personal days. The client will be nice to your face and the minute you turn your back they'll complain about you. Manager was self absorbed, upper management could care less about you. And once you make a stop there's nothing you can really do if they don't want to listen to you. This place will make you see the nasty side of people, sadly inside and outside of the job. If you need something short term it might be okay, listen to these other reviews. They're not just making it sound worse than it is.

Pros

Cons

Many

Worst work place ever

Employees are mostly white, racist, very rude. They fill your ears with broken dreams of getting a raise after a probation period which IS NOT TRUE, THEY DO NOT GIVE ANY PAY RAISE WHAT SO EVER worked there for about 5 months and never received not a penny for a raise, no hazard pay for working during the pandemic, higher ups think they're above all. Horrible job no one lasts more than 2 weeks, they hire who ever when ever.

Pros

Cons

Low pay, unfair pay, horrible work environment

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Upper management and corporate needs improvement

This can be a great company if they treated their employees right with respect and loyalty and not like a contracted number. They don't enforce the stores to a standard that's supposed to be offered per workers rights. They have no pto and no sick time which is terrible. Toxic environment. Poor management

Pros

Self management

Cons

Poor upper management and treated like a number

Toxic work enviroment

For a private investigation company, O'Brien and associates is a very shady company. Starting from my two weeks of training, which is nothing and a lawsuit waiting to happen in Loss Prevention. All four of the managers were talking bad about each other to me, which should've been a sign to not work there. Along with the bad-mouthing, they were telling all of the trainees that THEY were probably going to be the "Regional Manager", pitting us all against each other from the get. Adding to that, being a "Regional Manager" means nothing because you still catch shoplifters but you make people's schedules; that's it. I was promoted because of my experience and was undermined by my peers because I was the youngest out of 7 employees. Even after speaking almost four times weekly with corporate, I was still in the wrong for writing people up. Almost all but one of the employees I managed got "non-productive detainments", which gets you fired in REAL loss prevention jobs. I had to do some digging of my own to realize that I was going to get demoted, even though as "Regional Manager", I was getting the MOST stops in my region. So I started looking for another job as soon as I caught wind of my demotion. The CFO called me and told me and I played dumb like I didn't know what was going on, and I was told they wanted to keep me as an LP because I was too good at my job. I said yes, but ended up quitting two days later because the new "RM" got a power trip and wanted to tell me how to do my job. Onto the next point, they promote people who had more NPD's than actual stops. I was the only -

Loss Prevention Officer

This company is not one to work for. They for one are a sexist company and will undermine any woman who challenges them. They have no moral or ethical values. They do many illegal practices and do not care about it unless you’re a woman. There are many other jobs that are better than this just look a little more, I promise you it’s worth it. They will make you tons of promises they cannot jrrz you will not get the time off you need.

Disloyal

Beware to anyone thinking of applying to this company. They treat you badly. You sit in a dark room and do nothing but stare at computer. 90% of thieves get away with it because the local cops don’t prosecute. The management is terrible they like promote some random person. My supervisor was out of Wisconsin and I’m in Michigan. Long shifts. Mandatory holidays however there is no no holiday pay. They have very illegal practices. Stay away and save yourself the hassle.

Awful place to work

I would avoid this place.. especially the la crosse and onalaska location. The management is awful and the work culture is toxic. Better to work for one of the other security companies in the area.

Productive and challenging employment

If you have an attention to detail and a strong work ethic, you will thrive as a Loss Prevention Officer with this company. If you struggle with boredom during "slow days", struggle with attention to details and occasional tedious work, you may want to look elsewhere. This company rewards hard workers and provides a "loose and enjoyable" work environment.

Pros

Benefits for full time employees, flexible-ish scheduling

If they don't like you, they will try ways to fire you.

Regional Managers compete against each other to see who can do the most. Otherwise, if your place isn't doing well they will blame you and find ways to fire you because of that probationary period they can do so.

You prevent shoplifting but really the company is ripping you off.

dont even know where to startr. Went through at least 5 managers. All had NO manager experiance and just down right stupid. Also there is no internal hiring process for promotion. If they loose a manager because the manager quit they just promote some random kid that most likely has not worked there as long as you. Managers talk about you to other employees and talk bad about the other managers. The managers are for regions but you all work for the same store, you would think As a team? no they are out for thier region only! They will sit there and tell you you are doing a FANTASTIC JOB and then fire you the next day for some unknown reason after talking to you the day before like nothing was wrong. There is NO pay raise. They will lie and say there is there . And then they hire new people at a hire wage then you and you will still make the same amount with no raise! No benifits. No pto. No paid time off. Place is literally a law suit waiting to happen. They are contracted out by the store. The stores are great. This company sucks. Really the stores that are hiring them should find a diffrent company.

Pros

The stores are awsome

Cons

Everything and anything.

Sneaky and disloyal

Just as the other review has stated, this company is disloyal. I recommend anyone who works here to document everything anyone says to you. Even then, expect them to rid of you for no reason. Use this job as a place holder while you job hunt somewhere else. Also get used to "higher ups" bad mouthing you behind your back, and them bad mouthing other people in front of you and playing dumb when caught up about it.

Pros

Eating on the clock.

Cons

Toxic work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at O'Brien and Associates. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.4