O'Connor Hospital Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
toxic work environment, god management and poor pay
Technician (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 16, 2018
This is the oldest hospital in the area with a great history and culture, that culture is being killed by new ownership and a-typical modern management. O"Connor has lost it's way and the patients and staff suffer for it while a hedge fund calling themselves a healthcare group bleeds it dry for profits only. In my department it is unusually aggressive and backward. I would never be a patient here not ever. It is so old and outdated. Some of the staff are grossly incompetent and aggressive and will cut your throat in a heartbeat. They lie, scheme and manipulate to get their way and will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat and then will spread rumors about you when your back is turned. A completely TOXIC work environment to say the least. They take advantage of employees with every chance they can get. I could go on and on for hours about how terrible this place is and the job but you can get the idea for this example alone, we had about 10 new employees come thru and not a single one of them stayed for more than month. we had about 7 or 8 of those people leave after the second day, so what does that tell you?
Pros
Some staff are wonderful people and have a sense of work family.
Cons
outdated, toxic work environment, terrible pay
great place to work
MEDICAL SECRETARY AND SWITCHBOARD (Former Employee) –  Delhi, NYMay 28, 2018
Very busy. Learned many things here.Insurance verification, filing, registration,answering phones, and many other things.i worked directly the nurses and Doctors.
Cook (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 20, 2018
O'connor had great benefits, better than most companies I worked for. Management in my department was great for me but not for some of my co workers who always complains.
Hard work pays off
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 24, 2018
I've been at O'Connor for a little more than a year. True, they are going through some management transitions, but the staff care deeply about the patients and the quality work they do. I've worked at a number of organizations in the Bay Area and O'Connor is by far the best. The pace is quick, colleagues are committed, and there is a lot of room for creativity. I've been promoted once, and feel I am fairly compensated for the work I do.
Pros
Fast-paced, entrepreneurial, creative.
Cons
Awaiting stronger leadership in the C-Suite.
Positive environment.
Central Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 25, 2018
The work culture at O'Connor is quite welcoming. Every employee that I have had to work with has been quite pleasant. Working in the hospital industry can be challenging as it is highly regulated, but it is also fulfilling.
Very friendly and "famil" like
Respiratory Care Practitioner II (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 30, 2018
If you like to work in at a place where al your colleagues are friendly and treat you like their family then this is the place for you. I had a hard leaving OCH because I was so attached to all my colleagues there. I only left because of relocation.
NURSE MANAGER PERIOPERATIVE SERVICES (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 15, 2018
Great place to work. C-suite was great. Struggling to maintain productivity and rebuild volume for surgical services at the time that I changed positions.
stressful and nerve racking
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 8, 2017
working for O'Connor hospital was good but mostly stressful and nerve racking. the culture was different . it was hard to find help because of the nursing station set up. not enough help from the management and staff.
parish work
Parish Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 18, 2017
working with community and members was great! had a great relationship with other parish nurses and members of the perish. parishioners open to new programs to church.
fllexible
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CA 95128July 4, 2017
positive place to work at. Management is very supportive and the staff from environmental services to the CEO are very friendly. Everyone works as a team.

Want to know more about O'Connor Hospital?

Ask a question
Good Community hospital
Interim nurse educator (Former Employee) –  San Jose CAApril 27, 2017
As an interim employee I have not been at O'Connor for a long time but I have been at many other hospitals so I can compare O'Connor to others. I find O'Connor to be a very patient centered facility with exceptional and friendly staff. If I needed hospitalization I would choose O'Connor.
Pros
Very competent medical staff
Incredible Working and Learning environment
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 24, 2017
I have learned so much about the Nursing field as well as the Hospital and how the daily operations work. I have learned how to work with Nurses, Doctors and most importantly helping the patients. I feel as if the jobs I'm doing to assist to Nurses, help me develop my skills as a student who will be pursing this career in the future.
Great working enviroment
Registraton Clerk/Nursing Unit Assistant (Former Employee) –  Delhi, NYApril 11, 2017
I worked at O'Connor for almost 9 yrs and it really was a good to place to work. I worked front desk registering patients for appointments and verified patient demographics. My department was always a fun loving and my co-workers overall are nice environment. O'Connor has a good management team. Hardest part of the job remembering all of the different insurance plans. Best part of my job was the cookies on payday.
Pros
Cookies on payday
Cons
Healthcare
Difficult working environment after sale by Dtrs of Charity
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 23, 2017
Environmental Services Dept works hard and accomplishes their daily tasks while maintaining a positive, friendly attitude towards all other hospital personnel and patients.
Good
N/A (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 23, 2017
The hospital is turning around. Overall great place to work. Great work/life balance, benefits, and compensation. New management gives room for growth.
productive and busy with lots to learn
E.D. Clerk/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJanuary 10, 2017
A typical day at work was always a busy day.
I learned how an emergency department was run and how to conduct myself in emergency situations.
management was hands on and patient my training.
hardest part of the job was learning everything which as also the most enjoyable part of the job.
great co-workers.
Great place to work before was bought out from the Daughter's of Charity
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 6, 2017
I loved working here, one of my favorite places of employment. The staff and management were great to work with, along with the growth opportunities. Since being bought out by CHW, it went downhill. Haven't been there in awhile, but I hope it's changed.
O'Connor Hospital
CNA / Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  O'Connor, NEJanuary 6, 2017
O'Connor Hospital was a non Profit Hospital, they did a lot for the community. First time I have ever worked at a Catholic Hospital, but the experience allowed me to humble my self as a person. A lot of different ups and down working with a non profit hospital, but as a team we overcame so many difficult situations
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
Laid off due to budget cuts
Family Oriented
PROJECT MANAGER / TECHNICAL WRITER / TRAINER (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 4, 2017
Very friendly, professional staff at all levels. O'Connor feels more like a home rather than a hospital. It was definitely the one hospital I encouraged friends and family to go to as a patient, if ever needed.
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 20, 2016
Staffing is very friendly, we get good reviews from patients who have there babies in O'Connor. I love my co-workers, we work as a team helping each other. If you are looking for a job, here is the place.