O'Neil & Associates, Inc Employee Reviews

Poor Management
Technical Writer II (Current Employee) –  Miamisburg, OHMarch 31, 2019
A project based company with no project management experience/certifications. Every project you work on, you will be expected to perform above your job title and without recognition. If you do a good job, you will have to perform even harder than before and if you don't, you will be punished. People on the lower operational level are great but immediate management disregards any input from lower levels even if the input turns out to be correct. Expect projects to require extensive amount of stress and demands due to incompetence of leadership and their failure to perform necessary protocols that regulate risk management, scope management, etc. To them the customer is always right and will be willing to through bodies to the grave to please them. Seek employment at this company with caution, there are snakes and high expectations. Don't expect a promotion. The CEO passed away before anyone was considered to move up or be promoted.

So many people come in and then quit. Hardly anyone stays past 3 years due to the amount of stress and lack of compensation. You may be demanded to work 12 hrs and weekends and if you don't, it is frowned upon.
Pros
Bennifits
Cons
Highly stressful, no care for personal life (emergencies), lack of humility in leadership, and do not care about what you go through only that you produce
Good job to have just wasnt what I expected
Technical Writer II (Former Employee) –  Miamisburg, OHDecember 16, 2018
It is a good place to work. Very intense and high pressure to deliver on time due dates. They are very concerned about producing high quality products.
Pros
to many to list
Cons
I was just a contractor at the time and was hoping for employment
Technical Writer II (Former Employee) –  Miamisburg, OHNovember 12, 2018
I gained a lot of computer experience and wanted even more. It was a hard to transition from 3rd shift to 1st shift and have it that quiet. After working in the Aviation Maintenance Industry for many years you get use to the noise. The management was respectful, staff was knowledgeable and answered all my question.
Pros
Loved working with computer graphics
Cons
Trying to stay alert in that quiet of an enviroment
Very good learning experience.
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Miamisburg, OHNovember 11, 2018
Balanced hands-on and documentation workloads. Friendly and helpful team environment. Gained valuable mechanical and troubleshooting skills in development of projects.
Expect a lot of work, expect your compensation to almost never match it.
Employee (Former Employee) –  O'NeilAugust 9, 2018
Anyone who has worked at O'Neil can agree the pay simply isn't what it should be. Almost in any position. That said the work environment is friendly enough, drama-free, and very flexible for quality of life. Things can get overloaded, but it is almost always temporary. Projects (depending on your position) can end up being very tedious (think lots of data entry), and repetitive. Such is the life of a technical writer.
Pros
Flexible schedule, little to no micro-management.
Cons
Pay is not competitive, nor does it match annual pay increases in local area.
O'Neil
O'Neil Employee (Former Employee) –  Miamisburg, OHJune 24, 2018
Aggressive project schedules.
Pay could be a little more competitive.
Smaller teams that work very hard together - good sense of camaraderie.
Opportunity to work with military personnel and equipment.
Fun work place
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Miamisburg, OHApril 30, 2018
Fun workplace however I got laid off for being junior person in section. Some workers play ping pong and take to many breaks and leave work for other slightly more productive employees.
Pros
Little Micromanagement
Cons
Laid off
Mostly Good People, Poor Training, Bad Manager
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIApril 14, 2018
Learning O'Neil processes and procedures was like a big puzzle one had to figure out: so many exceptions. As a new employee I was proceeding slowly, but I did not realize how slowly until the manager berated me in his office.

The training was almost non-existent. The trainer was too busy to train. I do understand the first priority was to product. I relied primarily on written documentation to train (a little out of date, and somewhat confusing, but not terrible) and took a lot of my own notes.

Well, a week later we had a team meeting where the manager not only embarrassed me publicly by repeating our office conversation, he also implied that someone like me could not be offered overtime when there is no supervision as I would be dishonest with my hours. (Actually, the opposite was true, I never worked overtime. I worked hours for this company that I did NOT charge because I wanted to succeed, learn the content and did NOT want to charge overtime.) I quit the next day. Looking back, I wonder if he was trying to goad me into quitting. Well, if so, mission accomplished.

Also, I worked in a group that was in scope to be eliminated. They knew this when they hired me but never bothered to tell me about it.

Something to consider: Working for O'Neil eliminated my chances of getting a job with the nearby customer. They would not touch me even if I was working for an agency - agencies told me this. This was probably because of an agreement between the two companies. Not sure that is still the case.
Pros
Immediate coworkers were good people and friendly
Cons
Poor Training, Management People Skills
Poorly managed company.
Technical Writer II (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIMarch 12, 2018
Culture was poor, as mgmt did a severely poor job at training new employees. Training was done, not by trial & error, but by fire. All negative issues were pinpointed towards the newest employee(s). Turnover was obvoiusly a serious issue, but mgmt seemed to be used to such a high rate, so it never seemed to be an issue to them. Middle mgmt was untouchable, but real butt kissers who had only raised through the ranks only because of their time in the place and not their technical knowledge of the product.
Pros
Kept up wth technology. Xmas party.
Cons
See comments section.
Avoid
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIDecember 5, 2017
Avoid this place. You are just a number, not an employee. Sterssful work and managemnt is out for them self. Management does not respect ovetime. Only like suck ups.
Pros
Co-Workers are awsome
Cons
No job security, low pay, bad managemnt, your just a number.
Don't bother
Senior Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WINovember 15, 2017
Awesome when I started, but after a management change, things wend downhill quickly. High turnover, high stress, impossible deadlines and expectations. Many have left since I have.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Everything else.
Stressful place to work where you feel like a number.
Diagnostic Troubleshooter II (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WINovember 9, 2017
When I first started working at ONeil & Associates, the atmosphere was enjoyable. It was not very stressful, and participation in office events was encouraged. After a year of employment, some changes in management resulted in a change in company direction. Employees became just numbers and turn over rate increased. The job became more stressful because unrealistic deadlines were set and quality was sacrificed for quantity. We pushed out work to meet a deadline, even though we knew we would have to redo it. Also certain managers were unprofessional in their interaction with team members. The most enjoyable part of the job was authoring procedures along with the research involved. The hardest part of the job was meeting deadlines that were constantly changing and sacrificing quality in the process. It was hard to take pride in your work.
Pros
Benefits and some of the people that I worked with.
Cons
Management and company policies
New Challenge for me due to new items being built by the Army
Writer for Electronic Technical Data (Former Employee) –  Miamisburg, OHOctober 28, 2017
Enjoyed working there because it was a new challenge to support the technical writing for a new system that the Army was building for our military to use in the field
Could be a great company
N/A (Current Employee) –  Miamisburg, OHAugust 27, 2017
This company has the potential to be great, but sadly has the wrong upper management running it. Sales team has been bad for years. No accountability starting at the top. Benefits are bad with decent pay. The best qualities about this company are the people who make it run and the flexible hours. Outside of that no reason to work for a company that doesnt want to change and grow since management will never change or listen.
Pros
People amd flexible hours
Cons
To many to list
Great company to work for
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 5, 2017
Great company to work for, Cares about your family and takes great deal of health and wellness. Flexible work hours. Great management team that helps each and every employee.
Pros
workout facility/health and wellness
Cons
Pay/Salary could be better
Company transitioning towards disaster
Maintenance Writer (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIMay 31, 2017
Management is completely disconnected from the writers with no real idea how the job is done anymore. Most of the upper management is related to each other in one or two families. The corporate culture is horrible. In one email I actually read the sentence "we only want to hear positive things about [new product/process]". It goes without saying from my ratings that the place is very cut throat. Multiple ideas have been stolen from other people and appropriated to those with the power to step on the idea's originator. If you aren't a sycophant you aren't going anywhere. That trumps personal skill or aptitude on the job.
Technical Writing
Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  Miamisburg, OHJanuary 12, 2017
There is not advancement withing the company that follows the workload you work. Hired on as a technical writer but within the year I was a Lead Technical writer, I have not been advance in position nor pay. Any progression takes years no matter how much you display the capabilities of the next position.
Pros
Easy Job, Nice Environment and peopl
Cons
They do not recognize work performance
Flexible hours and stability but not much advancement.
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Miamisburg, OHApril 23, 2016
Work at O'Neil is like working for a large maintenance shop in the military or for a car dealership in the service department. It is stable, and benefits are good. Advancement stagnates and there is no employee development program. Feedback is in the form of "if you don't hear anything that is good." If one is from a maintenance background this is a fine place to work. Flexibility in hours, a familiar culture and friendly people. Workflow depends on government contracting. It is feast or famine.
Pros
Flexible work hours, little micromanagement, employee owned company, good benefits, friendly people.
Cons
Small company, work can be disorganized, supervisors provide infrequent feedback on performance, little employee development, little chance for advancement.
Great environment!
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Marlborough, MAApril 14, 2015
The firm and attorney's are client oriented and focus on helping people who are suffering from disabilities. They put client's needs ahead of their own and do what they can to get them their dignity back.
Nice place to gain job experience
Lead Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Miamisburg, OHFebruary 4, 2015
For the most part, I enjoyed my experiences here although the work could be challenging at times. A typical work day was all about writing, proofreading and editing documentation for technical manuals. It was a good learning expereince, especially the knowledge and expereince you gained in technical writing using differnt tools such as SGML, XML, Framemaker and S1000D business rules. My co-workers were friendly but kept to themselves most of the time. The hardest part of this job was meeting customer requirements as each project had its own unique style and format for publication. So, once you bacame comfortable on documentation format you then had to switch and learn an entirely different format. The learning curve could be steep on some projects. The most enjoyable part of this job was gratification of seeing the finished product and satisfying the customer requriements.
Pros
Good people, employee-owned company so you shared in the profits.
Cons
Always afraid of potential layoffs due to contractual nature of business.