Oak Hill Employee Reviews

Horrible experience
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CT 06112May 22, 2018
I worked here maybe 2 months weeks. The manager was not a good manager to me. Started off well then till this day i am not sure what changed. I am and still am a great employee do everything asked of me. everything happens for a reason because it lead me to a great company. All things happen for a reason
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad union, poor representation
Results may vary
Assistant Teacher Aide (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 23, 2018
Good company to work for. Union and non union positions available. Hours and available positions are scarce. If you have another job and are looking for a part time, this would be the perfect place for you.
Pros
Union
Cons
Union
Nice work place with pool
Lifeguard/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rensselaer, NYNovember 20, 2017
As a lifeguard I enjoyed my time working at oak hill apartments. The job place was very relaxing and quiet at most times. Not very busy and the residents there were nice.
Good
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 23, 2017
Good place overall. Excellent benefits, and quality of care is excellent compared to others in the field. Long term staff and consistently looking for ways to improve are some of the reasons why.
Oh
Residential Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 13, 2017
Being that only the direct care staff are unionized in addition to the current administration that have all been worked up the ladder over the last 20 plus years, the managers have very little support when issuing disciplines or even supervision for that matter.Administration makes it no secret that managers are at will employees and have no job protection or security. Direct care staff answer shop which allows them to take little responsibility. The work climate for a manager is high stress, constant demands and virtually no time off from the job. The job is difficult to do with no support and entitled staff.Managers are expected to be on call 24/7. The agency is known to promote from within but this too creates hostilities within the homes. The hardest part of then job is trying to follow policies and issue disciplines with the union ,staff and administration sweeping everything under the rug. The participants make it all worthwhile and remind you why you tolerated it for so long.
Pros
The people we serve
Cons
No support from administration
The Thrill Is Gone
Direct Care (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTAugust 23, 2017
Oak Hill used to be a great place to work. Now, with budget cuts and politicians who don't care about the handicapped, things have gotten stressful. Management expects direct care to do more with less and the staff who care do make that happen but it is getting increasingly harder to do so. Over the years it seems as if the agency has forgotten its roots and the fact they are providing services for people, for human beings. Money, strategy, and botton lines are what they are most interested in now.
The program participants suffer from less time with staff because staff are too busy with computers and documentation demands to spend quality time with them.
Advancement is not obtainable without degrees and higher education despite length of experience. This agency knows nothing about loyalty to its current employees, seeking to retain quality staff, or showing appreciation to the dedicated people in its employ. Senior management hasn't a clue as to what is happening in the group homes, with their managers, and has no idea who their employees in direct care are.
In the past Oak Hill cultivated a family atmosphere. It prided itself and boasted the best of the best when it came to its employees. There seemed to be more of a blending between administration and management to direct care. Senior management was approachable and there wasn't an us against them mentality. The people who work in Hartford answered or returned phone calls and emails. They left no stone unturned to get or find an answer for an employee.
Times, they have changed.
Pros
Bonding with the program participants.
Cons
Management, both local and senior. Death of program participants.
Productive and fun place to work
Director of Grants Management (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTAugust 21, 2017
The position was well balanced. With a strong team approach. Their was strong team leadership. The workplace culture was supportive. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the clients and the program managers and my other team members.
Pros
Staff were invited to attend the graduation of the students
Poor work environment
LPN (Former Employee) –  Pawtucket, RIAugust 14, 2017
The day began with report of 20 patients. VS and safety of the patients on rounds with 3rd shift nurse. Floor nurses were responsible for admissions of new patients; sometimes 3 on 1 shift. Thee were constant call outs of CNA's and nurses due to overwork and inability to have a day off due to under staffing. Management and staff changed frequently related to poor staffing and management.
Pros
good pay
Cons
mandatory overtime continuously
working with disabilities
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutJune 19, 2017
oak hill is a company and inside the company i worked at a camp. i was a counselor and we took care of men and women with disabilities. most were either deaf or blind. it was such a great experience learning to care for another person. i would recommend this job to anyone who loves to help. to be creative. or loves the medical field.
home setting
Group Home RN Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 5, 2017
Many budget cuts have caused the quality of care to drop but overall the staff continue to go above and beyond. The upper management continue to give more work for staff to complete but don't understand the barriers.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
No pay raises in years
A great place to volunteer at
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 23, 2017
I volunteered for a field trip at a job that worked with disabled adults took to an overnight program at Roger Williams Zoo. It was a wonderful experience helping set up and break down for bedtime and meals, and I enjoyed meeting the people the job worked with.
Close to home and flex hrs
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Watertown, CTApril 4, 2017
I enjoy my resident's and seeing how much they have come over the years. I love how little things make them happy
I don't like how I am on call 24/7.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Rather not say
Dedicated
Intern for Quality Assurance Data Analysis (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 2, 2017
Very dedicated to providing services to people with intellectual and developmental disibalities. The many departments come together to make sure services are provided efficiently. Management is truly dedicated to enabling all employees to better themselves and work for the participants.
Excellent place to work for, very understanding.
Life Skills Counselor (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 9, 2017
The hardest part of the job is the driving. and most of the shift are no more than 3 hours long. I don't really get to meet co-workers because we all work independently.
Great Place to work
Residential Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Vernon, CTOctober 24, 2016
Great place to work with a huge sense of family. The New President has some great ideas to move the company forward. Unfortunately the funding for competitive pay isn't there.
Our individuals are amazing
Residential Program Worker (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 27, 2016
Ensured the safety & well being of members with developmental disabilities living in adult care community.

I have learned that anything is possible with patience and understanding.

Keith is the best manager a worker could ever hope for.
Can be a fun place
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 5, 2016
I work with students in a classroom. The students a have different personalities. Students and staff tend to grow on each other. We learn each others strengths and weaknesses and build better foundations through training. For example, American Sign Language is taught so we can better communicate with deaf individuals. Hygiene is practiced through out the day so they will become good habits. Everything is not all work and no play, fun outing are played based on the season and what's going on in the community. Though this job may not be for everyone I do recommend it to people who have patience and enjoy being around others.
Rewarding place to work
Residential Program Worker (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 2, 2015
A typical day of work was providing care and support to my individuals with mental and physical disabilities, which included bathing, dressing, cooking, driving them to and from their work programs, providing incontinent care as needed and providing a clean, safe, and secure environment for which to thrive.

I learned that they are just like us in so many ways. They require a safe and loving environment to build trusting relationships with their peers and with the people that support them.

Management could be better at understanding their workers and listening / addressing their concerns.

Most of my co- workers were great people and actually cared about making a difference in the individuals lives.

I would have to say that the most difficult part of the job was when you lose an individual after supporting them for so many years. It's like losing a member of your own family.

The most enjoyable part of my job was watching their faces light up with a smile when you walk through the door and you know they are happy to see you and they run over and give you the biggest hug.
Pros
good benefits, lasting relationships
Cons
no raises
Good
Life Skills Counselor (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTAugust 24, 2014
Provides support for young adults with disabilities, and help them develop life skills that will enable them to become more independent
Work place
Handyman (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ILJune 24, 2014
serving residents under kitchen dietary staff. I loved how they were flexible with my hours for classes.
Pros
good hours
Cons
Bad gossip