Oak Ridge National Laboratory

Oak Ridge National Laboratory Employee Reviews

Really good place to learn. Great team. Extremely cooperative colleagues. You are working with the smartest people in the country and around the world. Making a difference.
Pros
Work life balance, management
Cons
Experience at ORNL depends 100% on the PI you're working for. The projects can be very exciting and there can be a lot of collaboration, or vice versa.
Pros
flexible hours depending on manager
Cons
very demanding
I really enjoyed working for my supervisor and all the members of our research team in computational physics. It was a very supportive and welcoming environment in my team, though I recognize not all groups at ORNL are so your mileage may vary. I found the pay to be great, though the benefits a little lacking for postdocs due to their treating you like a dual full time and temporary employee. Hours and working from home were extremely flexible. Overall I liked working here and would very much like to land a permanent staff position.
Pros
Awesome research; supportive teams
Cons
Long commute; benefits depend on position
At Oak Ridge National Laboratory, the research experience is second to none. You are working with the brightest minds in their fields. However, the lack of goals and organization can severely slow down the pace of scientific achievements
The specific company I worked for was breaching their contract. When I brought this to the owner I was told to contact my direct supervisor. When I contacted my direct supervisors I was asked to resign.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Liked the way the schedules were made, enjoyed having more control over my days. I could get my work done but didn't feel like my time was being wasted
Well it was sometime since I work there, it was very enlightening different background of people I work with and the cause I'm supporting military support machinery.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Bottled water most plàces, .
They expect a lot from one person on an average salary. My experience has been that errors of any kind are very much frowned upon. Basically, do your work, keep your nose clean, you'll be fine.
Weak management with a strong sense of nepotism when it comes to hiring. The work isn't challenging and they hire friends instead of people who can do the job.
I left a position I loved to accept a position with ORNL that offered much more compensation, better opportunities and growth. What I unknowingly walked into was an extremely toxic environment working under a director that had been reported to HR several times for mistreatment of employees. I dread work every day and am desperately trying to move to another division or on to another organization altogether.
Outstanding place to work on some of the world's most important challenges. ORNL has a hard charging science culture that recruits the world's best talent and encourages collaboration among colleagues.
There is no dress code, and the people there are all very nice. However, Oak Ridge National Laboratory is a little bit far from the city, and the traffic during rush hours is horrible.
The most amazing time learning from multidisciplinary fields of science with outstanding scientist. There they offer tours for you to fully grasp and experience the national lab.
A world-class research institution with state-of-the-art equipments where the experienced researchers produce important contribution to the research community.
I learn new things everyday. People are very helpful and supportive. Collaboration is very easy to set up with experts from different fields. I feel a sense of belonging.
The grounds are beautiful with a campus look and feel. There is a lot of diversity with interns, researchers and employees from all over the country converging in Oak Ridge. There are mind-blowing cool things that the lab is involved in (public/private partnerships, collaborations, the world's biggest supercomputer, new materials innovations, etc.). They are active in the community and have several volunteer projects designed to give back. There is a culture of innovation, pride and funding in the research areas, supported by executive management. Not so in the IT Division. IT in general did not seem valued by Management and it's a shame."The system" bred a culture of mediocrity in a group of really good, hardworking people who wanted to do more. 1. When there is not enough personnel to support the basic services and functions, it is impossible to innovate. 2. When there is not enough funding to implement (properly) the tools and software needed, it is impossible to be proactive instead of reactive to the changing IT landscape. 3. When employees are told (literally I was told this) that the annual performance ratings given are going to be mostly mediocre across the division no matter how hard they work, it breeds mediocrity in otherwise stellar employees. 4. When some of the mid-level managers do not keep up on new technology, are afraid to hire people smarter than they are and then let the smart people advise them (rather than the other way around) it is impossible to innovate. (This is slowly being fixed through attrition as the 'old timers' retire out - more...
Daily status reviews insured you never got stuck in a rut. Given freedom to tackle hard projects. My boss did not only care about getting the work done right, he also wanted us to develop our hard and soft skills. Emphasis put on team work. Great experience for an intern.
I loved my time at ORNL as a health services intern. ORNL has a great atmosphere and really values all employees. I enjoyed getting to learn and grow professionally.
Really nice environment, good people, no stress, highly good educated people, people respect each other, everybody help each other, strongly recommended.
I worked in the soft materials group. Typical lab work, 8am-5pm. Optimized formulations of a polymer membrane. Worked under grad student and post doc for lab manager. Very smart people there.
Nice place to work, nice working environment. Learned many things, colaboration is very easy. Management is very helpful. I had a very productive time here.