Oak Ridge National Laboratory

Oak Ridge National Laboratory Employee Reviews

United States200 reviews
Liked the way the schedules were made, enjoyed having more control over my days. I could get my work done but didn't feel like my time was being wasted
The specific company I worked for was breaching their contract. When I brought this to the owner I was told to contact my direct supervisor. When I contacted my direct supervisors I was asked to resign.
Well it was sometime since I work there, it was very enlightening different background of people I work with and the cause I'm supporting military support machinery.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Bottled water most plàces, .
They expect a lot from one person on an average salary. My experience has been that errors of any kind are very much frowned upon. Basically, do your work, keep your nose clean, you'll be fine.
Weak management with a strong sense of nepotism when it comes to hiring. The work isn't challenging and they hire friends instead of people who can do the job.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
I left a position I loved to accept a position with ORNL that offered much more compensation, better opportunities and growth. What I unknowingly walked into was an extremely toxic environment working under a director that had been reported to HR several times for mistreatment of employees. I dread work every day and am desperately trying to move to another division or on to another organization altogether.
Outstanding place to work on some of the world's most important challenges. ORNL has a hard charging science culture that recruits the world's best talent and encourages collaboration among colleagues.
There is no dress code, and the people there are all very nice. However, Oak Ridge National Laboratory is a little bit far from the city, and the traffic during rush hours is horrible.
The most amazing time learning from multidisciplinary fields of science with outstanding scientist. There they offer tours for you to fully grasp and experience the national lab.
A world-class research institution with state-of-the-art equipments where the experienced researchers produce important contribution to the research community.
I learn new things everyday. People are very helpful and supportive. Collaboration is very easy to set up with experts from different fields. I feel a sense of belonging.
The grounds are beautiful with a campus look and feel. There is a lot of diversity with interns, researchers and employees from all over the country converging in Oak Ridge. There are mind-blowing cool things that the lab is involved in (public/private partnerships, collaborations, the world's biggest supercomputer, new materials innovations, etc.). They are active in the community and have several volunteer projects designed to give back.

There is a culture of innovation, pride and funding in the research areas, supported by executive management. Not so in the IT Division.

IT in general did not seem valued by Management and it's a shame."The system" bred a culture of mediocrity in a group of really good, hardworking people who wanted to do more.

1. When there is not enough personnel to support the basic services and functions, it is impossible to innovate.

2. When there is not enough funding to implement (properly) the tools and software needed, it is impossible to be proactive instead of reactive to the changing IT landscape.

3. When employees are told (literally I was told this) that the annual performance ratings given are going to be mostly mediocre across the division no matter how hard they work, it breeds mediocrity in otherwise stellar employees.

4. When some of the mid-level managers do not keep up on new technology, are afraid to hire people smarter than they are and then let the smart people advise them (rather than the other way around) it is impossible to innovate. (This is slowly being fixed through attrition as the 'old timers' retire out
 - more...
Daily status reviews insured you never got stuck in a rut. Given freedom to tackle hard projects. My boss did not only care about getting the work done right, he also wanted us to develop our hard and soft skills. Emphasis put on team work. Great experience for an intern.
I loved my time at ORNL as a health services intern. ORNL has a great atmosphere and really values all employees. I enjoyed getting to learn and grow professionally.
Really nice environment, good people, no stress, highly good educated people, people respect each other, everybody help each other, strongly recommended.
I worked in the soft materials group. Typical lab work, 8am-5pm. Optimized formulations of a polymer membrane. Worked under grad student and post doc for lab manager. Very smart people there.
Nice place to work, nice working environment. Learned many things, colaboration is very easy. Management is very helpful. I had a very productive time here.
Cons
ORNL was a great place to work in my early career. The culture was great and management was very professional. Benefits were great as well, like excellent health care with 0 deduction, best health insurance ever seen.
Great work/life balance. Once you finish the day at work, you don't have to take any work home. Great work life culture. Collaboration is greatly encouraged.
I learned a lot, and it helped me get a job out of school. It was a little slow at times because of all the raining and stuff they want you to do, but definatley worth it.
The biggest problem with ORNL is that you are always challenged to find money from federal agencies so that you stay off overhead. Unlike National Laboratories in other countries, our national labs required staff to constantly search for new government sources of income. It is a real problem especially since national labs are prevented from competing with the private sector. Also the labs have very high overheads because the operating contractor has to make a profit. Many federal agencies rather work with the private sector because their dollars go further even the quality of the work is not very good. The only area that you are relatively secure in at the national labs is those lab organizations that are monitoring or developing nuclear weapons. Their budgets are stable from year to year.

The higher your salary, the more money you have to bring into cover the increase because your burn rate increases. The Labs will support you on overhead for a while, but there is a limit to what they will do. At some point you will be laid off.

Without the money chasing, the labs would be a great place to work. It is unfortunate that our government is so short-sighted.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Our community is ready to answer.
4.4