Oak Street Health Employee Reviews

Wonderful workplace
Medical Assistant/ Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Blue Island, ILAugust 9, 2018
Oak Street Health is a nice place to work, very amazing physicians, medical assistants, phlebotomist, welcome coordinators, practice manager, PRM, and Outreach team.
Not a professional advancement office
Outreach Associate (Current Employee) –  Speedway, INJuly 22, 2018
At least at my specific clinic, my boss is terrible. I believe that this company can often sell their new employees a dream that they can get promoted whenever their hearts desire. But in my experience in Indianapolis, you have to be buddy-buddy with the boss and the men in charge to ever get your voice heard. The company itself is great, but if you are planning to work at the Speedway location, just use caution!
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Working way over 40 hours a week
Do not work for this company
BHS (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 11, 2018
Unrealistic expectations. You will be judged by each and everything you say. Co-workers will stab you in the back and smile to your face. Not a nice place to work
Pros
Cons
see review

Comment – August 1, 2018

Many obstacles are in place that prevents the Social Workers and Behavioral Health Specialists from doing their jobs. The company is in a continual state of disorganization. Way too many meetings and pieces of training that prevent your work from being completed in a timely manner. I implore any Social Worker to not work for this organization.

great place to work
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 27, 2018
typical day was 9-5
learned alot about team management and program management
workplace culture changes recently- growing pains
hardest part is to be an expert in your projects
Pros
flexible work hours
Awesome place to work
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILMay 23, 2018
Oak Street Health is a fantastic place to work. Their emphasis on work-life balance (providers have scribes!) and compensation for providers is unparalleled in my experience. I've always felt very supported and valued by management. Job expectations are completely reasonable. Appointment times are longer, and it doesn't feel pressured. The company has grown a ton in the few years it's existed, and the things they have accomplished already in changing the way primary care is delivered is seriously impressive. It's an exciting place to work where innovation and evolution is the norm and employees can have a say in how things are done. They actually listen to and implement feedback in a timely manner. Most healthcare organizations are big beauracracies where change happens slowly, if at all, and it's all about volume and numbers. Not here. I love Oak Street.
Pros
Work-life balance, good pay and benefits, supportive management
Cons
productive fun place to work
Lead Medical social worker (Former Employee) –  oak park, ILMay 15, 2018
A very fast pace environment. Great staff and Doctors. The OSH model is great. The pay is great, but negotiate because it can help. I enjoyed working there and serving our patients. Made my day very rewarding.
Pros
great pay
Cons
PTO is horrible, health insurance is very high.
Terrible leadership
Community Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 10, 2018
OSH has a very negative culture for its staff. Although it has the opportunity to provide very good services to the senior community, if they do not start treating their staff like assets, they will not be able to provide good services. There is no growth in the company and there is a lot of nepotism when it comes to hiring and firing staff.
A leadership turnaround could save the organization.
Outreach Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 8, 2018
Oak Street Health is an amazing platform but other than the founders they do not have the right individuals leading the organization. They are breaking a lot of employment laws and they do not treat their staff fairly or with respect.
Pros
Ability to work in different locations
Cons
Salary, morale and leadership.
Day and a life
Outreach Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 4, 2018
Everyone who works in a Oak Street Health clinic is under paid, except for the doctors. The pay doesn't even support the cost of living. The company only hires friends and family. Promotions are hard to come by. DO NOT SIGN THAT NON-COMPETE! You can make more money and have a better opportunity to breathe and do your job at JenCare.
Don't work here
n/a (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 2, 2018
Simply put, do not work here.

Company has no clue as to what it is doing and in some cases acts very predatory towards some of its patients.

Very unorganized and there is a lot of hierarchy red tape where no one is sure what their job fully entails or at times pushing work on others outside of their role.

Stay away.
Pros
Decent pay, benefits, matching 401k
Cons
Horrible management
Great mission, terrible management.
Clinical Informatics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 5, 2018
Oak Street has a great idea and some talented, professional, compassionate people work for them but everyone working there is in transition, a lot of folks are disillusioned and jaded about the quality of care they'll realistically be able to provide for their patients, and management is a mess because they're growing so quickly and they're so young as a company. People working for Oak Street with me could be catty and rude to each other, but the providers' care for their patients was honestly impressive.
Pros
experience working with patients for young/developing health care professionals, risk-based health care provision and health care model, doing solid work in communities in need, social workers and insurance counseling integrated into care for patients.
Cons
Management was inexperienced and behaved inappropriately, unnecessarily micromanaging everyone and demanding explanations for non-issues, impeding productivity and comfort in the work place.
great place to work if all you care about is money
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 23, 2018
Poorly managed facilities, communication is horrible absolutely no chance of advancement on the clinical side. HR team works for leadership team and will not assist in anyway the staff members concerns. They rather hire inexperienced people and throw them into the trenches without proper training give you tons of task to do me without the support needed to carry out task..
Pros
Patient care
Cons
No advancements
best job life
Clinical Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 18, 2018
When I used to wok for Oak Street I loved. Unfortunately, I was going to through a hard mental dilemma. I would love to come back to my old job. Everyone in that company were very heartwarming. If I could get a second chance to return I would do so without a heart beat. Thank you Oak Street.
Helpful work place
Outbound Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILFebruary 16, 2018
It's a nice place to work, co-workers are easy to get along with very helpful. Management is okay pushes you for success no mater what, also makes sure you reach your monthly goal.
job
Outreach Associate (Former Employee) –  Waukegan, ILJanuary 28, 2018
great place to work - a lot of team-work effort. It's is easy to learn how the clinic works and everyone is very helpful. They have an amazing care model.
Pros
good managment
Cons
Frustrating work environment that could be so much better!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 18, 2018
I took the job at oak street and stayed there because I was very passionate about helping our elders. As the years went by the company got greedy and it became all about growing instead of focusing on what was already built. It’s very sad to watch ANOTHER company take advantage of our seniors. They do not deserve it.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Quotas
overworked staff
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2018
The hours are long, and the work is never done. They are constantly under staffed, and everyone is expected to pick up extra jobs that eventually become part of your own job duties. Everyone is stretched very thin, especially the doctors and nurses.

The staff is set up for failure with unrealistic expectations and very little assistance given from management and corporate offices. Upper management seem to have lost touch with what is going on in each clinic.

Management constantly tells you to priorities and work on time management vs. hiring the staff needed to handle the volume of the work load given. At least once a week there would be a staff member crying in an office.

It is also hard too take vacation as there is always some deadline, project, or initiative they have you prioritize.
A Transition Job
Senior Outreach Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 11, 2018
You get the freedom to work how you would like to work but sometimes management puts stress on you to hit certain numbers. Sometimes the job became quantity over quality. Everyone in the clinic doesn't always work together for the greater cause. The clinic side has drama sometimes. A lot of rumors were started and maintained. Some staff bulling. Management and staff needs more training on professionalism. The company does have different events through out the year and acknowledge teams and individual people. Overall the company is a great company. The individual clinics are hit and miss depending on the management.
Overall love it
Family Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Southgate, MIDecember 15, 2017
My work-life balance has definitely improved. As a provider, there are a lot of meetings, but they are all for a good cause in better taking care of the patient. The work environment is mostly relaxed and very enjoyable. I love that it is a learning environment and I feel like I am becoming a better provider while working here.
Great Environment
Referral/ Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 12, 2017
Fun place to work, fast paced job! Very friendly. Everyone works together for patient satisfaction. One of the best place I've ever worked at. Doctors are very supportive and concerned about patients health.
Pros
Fun Environment
Cons
30 min lunch