Oakland Community College Employee Reviews

It's ok
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MISeptember 13, 2019
Do your work. Very sensitive work environment. You can be written up for saying hello to someone. Everyone is on edge because you don't know who's cool to talk to or not. The work is easy, but can sometimes be a drag. Supervisor live by the we're not here to be friends code.
Pros
Students are cool
Cons
look out for the bus
Love Coaching Basketball!
Assistant Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MISeptember 10, 2019
Love coaching the young men, teaching, helping the team get become winners and get them to the next level was our focus as a staff! Great culture for the staff, because we could create our own culture!
Great place
Manager and Secretary of Physical Education (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIJuly 18, 2019
Great people. Can move around if you want. Laid back but good leadship. Perks of working out in gym when on break. Lots of teamwork and create students and gym members/
nice,helpful and friendly people
Receptionist/Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIJune 29, 2019
I enjoyed my time at Oakland Community College, I learned a lot, and the experience of meeting different people I enjoyed most. I learned a lot of communication skills, and helpful resources to meet the needs of our students.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
temporary job
Campus Culture
Adjunct Animation Faculty (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIMay 24, 2019
Corrupt Administration

Arbitrarily changing student grades.

Classroom empty of needed equipment & supplies.

Disrespectful administration

Dispiriting campus environment.
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIFebruary 18, 2019
it was fun working there, I met the nicest ppl there. for sure good interment to work there. I learn a lot from all of them., I am glad I had chance to work there as math tutor.
Good place to work and learn
Lab Technical Assistance for Applied Engineer Lab (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIFebruary 6, 2019
A lot of difference students culture to due with. I have a lot of time to self study about robots. This is a good place to test out a new tools or software for robots.
Pros
Job security, good enviroment and benefits
Cons
No training, low pay.
Non Communication with Department chair.
English instructor, composition (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIJanuary 23, 2019
I tried several times to contact the English Chair but no responses were received. I visited the Campus numerous times and left messages with office staff. None of which were ever responded to.
Pros
Close to home.
Cons
Poor scheduling of classes.
Great work environment, needs more people
Business Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIJanuary 15, 2019
My time at Oakland Community College has taught me about time management. I would come into work each day with something to start on, a simple project to kick-off the day. Things would begin peacefully and the employees are genuinely glad to see one another, creating a warm and welcoming work environment.

There is a need for more employees in nearly every department, which is effecting people's ability to manage their work load, however I know that everything that can be done is being done in order to provide student and staff health.
Some Stress, but Fast Paced
LMS OPERATIONS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIDecember 12, 2018
A bit of a stressful environment as it was very fast paced with intense deadlines. I was able to handle the workload given to me but found it to be very difficult. This is definitely the sort of position for someone who is very quick of mind with extreme critical thinking skills.
productive working enviroment
Professional Student (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MINovember 18, 2018
Productive working envoriment that's laid back, straight forward with assigned jobs and given task. learn new things everyday and a good experience workplace
Pays well but favoritism is very evident
Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Waterford, MIOctober 30, 2018
The pay is great and there is a lot of autonomy. Favoritism is evident and younger instructors receive requested hours, can be late and are given flexibility. Younger instructors even if inexperienced are preferred over instructors aged 50 or older.
Pros
Pay is excellent
Cons
Bias in favor of younger instructors
very busy
PROGRAM CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIOctober 22, 2018
Stopped by my class room building to check on my students and the instructor for any issues, went to my office, checked phones calls, messages, and appointments for the day. load my car with needed material for mu off site orientations with my work first clients. Have my morning meetings with my clients.
Pros
traveled a lot
Cons
no breaks
Perfect for a first time employee
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIOctober 21, 2018
The manager at the OCC cafe is patient, professional, and friendly. Even if you've never had a job before, you'll be trained from the ground up. You get the necessary job skills you need.
Pros
Great pay, flexible with school and work schedule, 50% employee discount, helps with financial aid
Cons
15 minute break, closed during the summer semester, the occasional slow business
n/a
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIOctober 7, 2018
Adjunct instructors are a knowledgeable and valuable group of hard working individuals and an asset to the student body. It would be wonderful to be able to be able to move into a more permanent position within the organization.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Difficult to advance
Quiet peaceful office early in the morning. Really nice canpus.
Adjunct instructor (Former Employee) –  Waterford, MIOctober 3, 2018
I enjoyed the drive out to the office, I was the first one in every morning and I like how quiet and peaceful the environment was. I was treated very respectfully from my boss. She was really great and I learned a lot from her.
Pros
Loved the work and my co-workers
Cons
Not evnough hours
group work and collaboration
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Michigan, USASeptember 22, 2018
The bookstore was a fun place to work, my coworkers were from various parts of the world. It was nice to meet new people and learn about different cultures. The management was very friendly.
Pros
free to rent textbooks
Cons
short brakes.
Work for other departments
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIAugust 6, 2018
OCC is a great place to work. If you are working in other departments. The IR department needs a supervior that cares about their employees and not themselves.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
IR Director
This was a good, easy job.
Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterford, MIAugust 6, 2018
There was a lot of responsibility involved, but there wasn't a lot to actually do compared to the other jobs. Very easy for me to manage, I enjoyed it.
I was a student
Student (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIJuly 14, 2018
Never worked here, attended as a student and it was a good college. Learned a lot hands on, no issues with anyone and was fair with grading. Tuition is also good.