Oakland Schools Employee Reviews

Nope, no way
Technology Services (Former Employee) –  Waterford, MIOctober 31, 2019
Nepotism, favoritism! You're either in or far out! Those getting promoted don't always deserve it. Benefits are great though, but that's public sector for you.
Great place to learn and experience different locations
Sr Network Administrator / Google Administrator (Current Employee) –  Waterford, MISeptember 30, 2019
* Team Focus
* Training
* Multiple locations to learn different technologies.
* Opportunity to grow within the company
* Salary for Education personal is very good
One of those "Promote until they can't do any harm" places
Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterford, MIMay 12, 2019
Oakland Schools started out fine, but I realized over the years that there is a pattern of promoting inexperienced individuals for the role. The promotions are given before the job posting is listed online and there are no interviews for many of them before the posting is taken down weeks later, which wastes the time of internal and external candidates. There is no communication other than the announcement of the promoted candidate.

Beyond that, the pay for the technical roles is woefully below that of the pay for the same role (with a more appropriate title) at any private company and even for every other public sector role in the state of the same responsibility.

My immediate manager was amazing and an advocate for the employees, even when the upper management tried to take advantage of our skills and dedication to doing a good job.
Pros
It's a full time job with health insurance, Immediate manager was great
Cons
Job title, lack of advancement, condescending upper management
Disconnected and Limited Teamlike Atmosphere
Education Consultant (Current Employee) –  Waterford, MISeptember 23, 2018
Although in the beginning it may seem like there is ample opportunity to collaborate and grow, there is actually limited voice and opportunity. Oakland Schools management does not deal with conflict well or professionally, if at all. There are situations that impact the culture due to lack of clarity, secrecy and arrogant attitudes; they do not have a culture where you can discuss and put healthy boundaries/systems in place for all workers. They are uncomfortable when their ideas are challenged. It appears as though those with strong personalities (although talented) do not last long. There is limited ethnicity that match the populations in which they serve. Hence, upper management is disconnected to other professionals that work there as well as districts serviced.
Pros
Can be collaborative at first. Some opportunities to learn.
Cons
Lack of Equity and oppourtunity.Some consultants are developed and supported more than others
Fantastic first IT job
Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  2111 Pontiac Lk RdMay 8, 2018
I would recommend Oakland Schools to anyone looking to get their foot in the door for IT. Whether you are A+ certified or looking to earn it in the future, being a technical assistant can help you acquire the skills you need to sharpen your technological prowess.
Pros
Paid time off. Health insurance.
Cons
Low and stagnant pay.
Great Place to Work.
Senior Network Administrator (Current Employee) –  Waterford, MIFebruary 27, 2018
Oakland Schools has developed technology model that has been helpful to local school districts that are having budget issue. We provided a technology team that goes into these districts to help support the schools technology. They also provided a fun place to work, learn and support family life.
Room for Growth Limited
Project Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterford, MIOctober 16, 2017
When you are a probationary staff member, you should be allowed room for mistakes. A new employee is already in a difficult position when they are asked to join and learn at a rapid pace. I do not believe the entire management are this way within the entire organization but depending on the department, you may not have a chance,
Progressive district with opportunities for advancement.
Consultant/Principal (Former Employee) –  Cox Elementary, Harthorne Elem.,August 3, 2017
From an administrative perspective, a typical day(7 am-5 pm) opening of offices, cafeteria, classrooms. A quick check from the central office on staff absentees and substitutes available. No subs, divide students among grade levels. Having years of experience, I checked by phone the substitute situation at 5 am before leaving for work at 7 am. I also kept a list of teachers who were retired and available to substitute for the day.

The workplace culture was shaped by the lead teachers, parents and myself, the Principal. My office was always open to anyone who
needed to vent before going public with a disagreement.

As far as management, my philosophy was "Be in charge of what
you were in charge of." This included parents, teachers students,
classified workers and myself as a role model.

The hardest part of the job was to lose a student, parent, teacher,
and/or other staff.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to see happy parents,
students, classified staff and myself, the Principal.
Pros
Student achievement and professional growth among all.
Cons
Unequal resources allocated to inner-city schools.
A nice place to work
Executive Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Waterford, MIApril 7, 2017
I enjoyed my time at Oakland Schools. I was a temporary hourly employee and felt like I was a part of the team while I completed my assignment. It was a fun place to work and the people were pleasant. I have had a hard time getting my last check (it's been over a month). They track time by hand and my time sheet was lost and there has been no urgency and little help in getting this matter resolved.
Its been a Journey fun place to work
Community Health Liaison (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MIApril 16, 2015
Oakland Schools have been a Excellent Program to work for i am currently in the Adult Work Experience. and station here at St.Joseph Mercy Oakland working here has made me appreciate lIfe and my Health and become Friendly and a Ear for Patients while i am on rounds making sure they have the best Experence while they stay here at St.Joseph Hospital Great Staff, Great Patients ,Great Bosses
Pros
news Letter that shows how much they Appreciate my Hard Work
Cons
Short Breaks
Decent
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterford, MINovember 3, 2014
Decent place to work not a lot of room for advancement within
Good
Janitor /Porter (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIJune 26, 2013
I enjoyed working, simply because I am very grateful and was getting decent pay; I had nothing to complain about.
Over all great place to work!
Building Maintenance and Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Waterford, MIMarch 20, 2013
Over all Oakland Schools is a great place to work. I have been working the afternoon shift running the building at night. I am the only Oakland Schools employee in the building at night. I manage the cleaning crew, security, and the overall maintenance of the building.
Pros
excellent pay and benefits
Cons
i work the afternoon shift
Systems Analyst and Programer
PRIVATE CONSULTANT/PROGRAMMER/ANALYST (Former Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 23, 2013
In this position I was responsible to meet with local school principles and faculties to analyze the best strategy to create a program that would allow the parent to see real time data regarding their students attendance and grades.

As lead design I was able to plan and develop the program that is still in existence today. Each day thousands of students and parents and teachers use this system to record and observe a students attendance and grading. When certain number of days of attendance or tardies occur or a grade percent drops or increases, an automated letter is printed and sent via email or mail to the parent of the student, or to the student based on student age.
Pros
great project that improves the quality of education and changes lives.
Cons
no cons for this position.