Oakland University Employee Reviews

Horrible management
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIOctober 9, 2018
The school of nursing has horrible management. They will talk behind your back and sabotage your work. It’s strictly a popularity club that isn’t based on professional capabilities. It is not a good professional learning environment or professional working environment. Steer clear and work somewhere more positive.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Awesome job
Undergraduate Admission Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIOctober 4, 2018
I loved working there. The team was my second family.Everyone was nice and we worked together and helped each other every time I had some problems completing the task.
Very fun and warm welcoming
Senior Admissions Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MISeptember 6, 2018
I'm an ambassador, and I give campus tours to perspective freshman and transfer students. The environment is very warm welcoming and very flexible with school. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help influence a guests decision in picking a college. Also, being able to share your experiences with the guests and how you got to where you are currently.
Pros
Flexible hours, group bonding, activities during midterms and finals, compassionate, family away from home
Cons
n/a
Dream job
Business Manager/Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIAugust 27, 2018
Oakland not only is where I spent 4 years during my undergraduate days, it's where I built a career and family. Oakland is more than just a place of work but a community of friendly professionals who genuinely care about the success of the students.
Benefits
Cons
Instructor of Financial Literacy/Guidance (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIAugust 14, 2018
Oakland University/Project Upward Bound is by far one of the best places that I have worked! The program is a model of consistency and dedicated to providing quality academic advancement to the academic scholars throughout Oakland county!
Pros
Staff and Students
Cons
A place to work and learn.
MI (Former Employee) –  MichiganAugust 14, 2018
A culture of learning. A gem in the area. Beautiful landscape with rolling hills. The benefits are excellent for continued education. Many resource groups.
Pros
The People
Student work study position
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIJuly 27, 2018
Great environment for student workers since it's also your college. The staff was understand, helpful, and friendly. Definitely fostered a collaborative culture and don't treat you as lesser because you're just a student. Loved my time there but wish they paid better!
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No benefits and low pay
Professional Environment.
Corporate and Foundation Relations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIJuly 22, 2018
Well managed. Friendly co-workers. Great 'team' atmosphere. Comfortable setting. Pays well with great benefits. Poised for new growth and expanded opportunities for career advancement..
Excellent place to be
Building Manger (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJuly 13, 2018
This is an excellent school to attend. I also had the privilege of being able to work on this campus. It has expanded and reached new levels since I had been going to school there.
Pros
Excellent school
Good
Laboratory Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIJuly 13, 2018
The hardest part of my job is the lack of physical and intellectual challenge. The workorders have not been coming in as I would like.
The most enjoyable is the wonderful coworkers.
Pros
Communal feeling
Cons
Not enough work
Great place to work!
Yoga Instructor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIJuly 4, 2018
This is one of my favorite jobs! The activities director is always coming up with creative special classes/events to involve the campus population. Your input is valued and taken into consideration!
Great environment with great people
Nightwatch Desk Worker (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIJuly 3, 2018
Great environment with lots of caring supervisors and co-workers willing to work together. Great opportunity to meet the residents and get to the campus workers.
Pros
Room is paid for, great people to work with
Cons
Little to no breaks, can get very busy
Admissions Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJune 20, 2018
It was a good place to start out in order to learn my communication skills and grow my leadership skills. I was able to become mature being in this setting.
Excellent Learning Opportunity
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Organizational LeadershipJune 18, 2018
As a research assistant, I had the opportunity to work with professors and advance their research. This provided the opportunity to better understand research skills and techniques.
overwork grad students and underpay them
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJune 14, 2018
they haven't raised the pay for grad students in almost 15 years. it's ridiculous and they expect you to work at least 40 a week, not the 20 required by your "contract". At least the staff is super nice but many of them are in the same boat
Great place to work and grow your career
Executive Director, Macomb-OU INC. (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJune 13, 2018
I really loved working at Oakland University! It was inclusive of all departments. I had the opportunity to work independently off-site but often had meetings on campus and was fully embraced as part of the campus. Very fond memories of the institution! Each day of my work was exciting. No two days were the same....I worked with startup companies.
Pros
Beautiful, friendly campus
Cons
None that come to mind
Fun place to work if you're post bachelor's degree
Teaching Assistant for Electromechanical Systems (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJune 8, 2018
The teaching assistant position was geared more to people pursuing a post bachelor's degree. The benefits include having tuition paid for. Since I was undergrad, it didn't affect me.
Pros
free tuition
Cons
dealing with students' egos
Conference Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIMay 30, 2018
Oakland University is a great place to work and to go to school. It is a very welcoming, at home environment and is somewhere that will always have your back if you need them.
Overall
Caller (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIMay 20, 2018
This job was very simple, it was an on campus job, so it worked really well with my schedule. A typical day consisted of calling Oakland alumni and raising donations. Management was very professional, yet fun. We had company parties and games that we played during the work time for raising money, it was very enjoyable.
Pros
Cons
Slow days
Easy-going and flexible work
Library Assistant - Circulation Desk (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIMay 17, 2018
I worked at Oakland University as an overnight library assistant during the weekends. I enjoyed my work environment very much and had lovely managers. As an overnight library assistant, I learned how to do basic secretarial work.