Oakland University Employee Reviews

Student work study position
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIJuly 27, 2018
Great environment for student workers since it's also your college. The staff was understand, helpful, and friendly. Definitely fostered a collaborative culture and don't treat you as lesser because you're just a student. Loved my time there but wish they paid better!
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No benefits and low pay
Horrible management
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIOctober 9, 2018
The school of nursing has horrible management. They will talk behind your back and sabotage your work. It’s strictly a popularity club that isn’t based on professional capabilities. It is not a good professional learning environment or professional working environment. Steer clear and work somewhere more positive.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Dream job
Business Manager/Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIAugust 27, 2018
Oakland not only is where I spent 4 years during my undergraduate days, it's where I built a career and family. Oakland is more than just a place of work but a community of friendly professionals who genuinely care about the success of the students.
Benefits
Professional Environment.
Corporate and Foundation Relations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIJuly 22, 2018
Well managed. Friendly co-workers. Great 'team' atmosphere. Comfortable setting. Pays well with great benefits. Poised for new growth and expanded opportunities for career advancement..
A place to work and learn.
MI (Former Employee) –  MichiganAugust 14, 2018
A culture of learning. A gem in the area. Beautiful landscape with rolling hills. The benefits are excellent for continued education. Many resource groups.
Pros
The People
A Culture of Backstabbing & Complaining
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIMay 4, 2018
If you plan to work at OU, watch your back. It has a culture of backstabbing and complaining co-workers. Management is even worse. Expect no training.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor management, backstabbing, no training
overwork grad students and underpay them
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJune 14, 2018
they haven't raised the pay for grad students in almost 15 years. it's ridiculous and they expect you to work at least 40 a week, not the 20 required by your "contract". At least the staff is super nice but many of them are in the same boat
Productive work environment
KRESGE LIBRARY SERVICE DESK STUDENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MINovember 20, 2018
The workplace at Kresge Library was a very comfortable place to work and the management was very friendly and helpful in every scenario. The staff was very welcoming and also hard working, daily tasks were always completed efficiently.
Long hours and out of touch management
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIFebruary 13, 2018
My position was primarily event based, so I often ended up working long hours during the school year. The higher ups at Oakland have no idea what my department actually needs, so I am often understaffed, my student and part time workers are underpaid, and we don't have the equipment that we need to do our jobs well. That being said, the benefits package is great and I was able to take a good amount of time off over the summers. I'm sure other positions would be better as far as work/life balance.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Understaffed, long hours
Instructor of Financial Literacy/Guidance (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIAugust 14, 2018
Oakland University/Project Upward Bound is by far one of the best places that I have worked! The program is a model of consistency and dedicated to providing quality academic advancement to the academic scholars throughout Oakland county!
Pros
Staff and Students
Cons
Best University in Michigan!
Student Success Assistant/Admissions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MINovember 29, 2017
I loved working for OU as a student and as an employee after I graduated but after a year it was time for me to move on to something different. I have had wonderful experiences working with some of the best Higher Education professionals in the business and some were a little full of themselves but that is the work life you are always going to have some of those people. The one thing I didn't like from one of my jobs was that I was told my position was going to be split between 2 parts and it really was not so that disappointed me but other than that OU helped me grow into the professional that I am today and I am very thankful for that!
Pros
Pay, Free Swag on occasion and lunches
Cons
No Benefits, No Perks
Very fun and warm welcoming
Senior Admissions Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MISeptember 6, 2018
I'm an ambassador, and I give campus tours to perspective freshman and transfer students. The environment is very warm welcoming and very flexible with school. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help influence a guests decision in picking a college. Also, being able to share your experiences with the guests and how you got to where you are currently.
Pros
Flexible hours, group bonding, activities during midterms and finals, compassionate, family away from home
Cons
n/a
Fun place to work if you're post bachelor's degree
Teaching Assistant for Electromechanical Systems (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJune 8, 2018
The teaching assistant position was geared more to people pursuing a post bachelor's degree. The benefits include having tuition paid for. Since I was undergrad, it didn't affect me.
Pros
free tuition
Cons
dealing with students' egos
Plan to never climb up the ladder.
Univ Serv Employee (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIFebruary 15, 2018
If you are happy with a job that just keeps you just below making it, then OU is for you. Management sucks and because it is an academic environment, get use to not mattering in many aspects of the campus life.
Pros
Good Retirement Plan
Cons
No advancement, push entitled employees, tension.
Excellent place to learn, participate, and be part of research endeavors
Primary Researcher (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MINovember 2, 2018
This was one of my favorite positions I've held! If you are pursuing an advanced degree and not working elsewhere, I would highly recommend you consider pursuing this option!
Overall
Caller (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIMay 20, 2018
This job was very simple, it was an on campus job, so it worked really well with my schedule. A typical day consisted of calling Oakland alumni and raising donations. Management was very professional, yet fun. We had company parties and games that we played during the work time for raising money, it was very enjoyable.
Pros
Cons
Slow days
Fantastic job to have as a college student
Classroom Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIOctober 4, 2018
They base hours you work on your school schedule allowing you to easily accommodate for what they require. The only real downside is that they require you to have 6 credit hours to work there part time.
Pros
You can do your homework
Cons
You need to take at least 2 classes to reach the 6 credit hour limit
Being a treasure for a student organization was rewarding.
Society of Operations Management - Treasurer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIApril 7, 2018
I was part of a student org, who gave back to students through various activity's and events based on a budget the school awarded us per semester. We would promote the learning and growth of operations management and get employers involved with students on a bi-weekly basis and had various presenters come in to educate/entertain the students.
employee morale very low
CUSTODIAN (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIFebruary 10, 2018
All employees do is complain, they are stressed and most co workers have to work 2 or 3 jobs, they took 3 dollars pay from the custodian and the raise is about .25 cents.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
no chance to advancement
Satisfying job
COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJanuary 24, 2018
The management is great and working with adults seeking a career chance is very rewarding in terms of helping the financially and facilitating the process. My opinions are respected and faculty is not elitist.