Oakland University
81High

Oakland University Employee Reviews

United States302 reviews
The University is really good. The laboratories are well located and good space to work. All professor possesses good skills to share with research community.
I have really enjoyed working for the Oakland University School of Nursing. The faculty and staff are excellent and the work life balance was perfect.
A typical day consisted of a meeting with my boss, going over his schedule, taking care of messages, answering phones, setting up meetings, working with contractors, vice presidents, project managers, creating spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations, working with other secretaries, .The hardest part of the job was creating many conferences to be held at Oakland. Many universities were invited but it always turned out the way it should have been. My most enjoyable time was working with many different projects and seeing them finished. My department was a pleasure to work with. My boss was exceptional.
These job helped me keep my proofreading/copy editing skills sharp and paid for my degree so I loved it for those reasons alone. The hours were completely up to me and other than two or three on-campus meetings, I worked remotely and made my own hours which was amazing!
Only downsides were that interpersonal issues between others (board members, management) were strained and caused a lack of overall productivity. For me, at least, it was a lesson in the importance of a solid team working together, cohesively, cooperatively.
My thought is Oakland University is a great place to work for. My concern is. My position as a housekeeper is only 12 hours a week .I clean for the president of Oakland University , her private home , its on the property of Oakland University. The home i clean is 12, 000 square foot. Been there about 3 years .
Leave a review. Help people like you.
I was extremely happy and fulfilled working at OU. Only was it until my last Manager to whom I did not mesh with, did I get fired. She was not supportive, rather she was cold, unapproachable, and very intimidating. All to which I mentioned in a tactful way when she asked me to be honest about why staff never questioned her orders. I then got fired. Prior to this, I had an excellent professional assessment and a very sound reputation as a professional with faculty, fellow staff members, upper management and most importantly students.
How did she get away with this? Oakland has a probationary period I had to apparently adhere to even though I had been there for 6 years. The HR Director, later I found, did not check my work records. HR protects Directors before they will protect staff. Be aware of Macomb County. Rochester - main campus is an amazing place to work. Go Golden Grizzlies! Please note: I am also an Alum, so this was a heart-breaking, life- changing experience for me.
I have become very good friends that I work with. Everyone is very nice and helpful also very personable. They are very for gaining outside contacts and helping to plan for the future as well.
Diverse workplace that allows personal growth. Fun job that you can help students learn and feel like you are making a difference. Great hours and benefits
This dynamic workplace is perfect for anyone interested in Higher Education, and Human Resources. The position has great opportunities for mentorship, and advising experiences. The benefits of working for the University Housing department give you great opportunities for bonding with undergraduate students and helping them find their way. Lastly, this job gives great experiences in organizing, planning, and working for marketing to create a dynamic recruitment process.
Fitness instructors and fitness class instructors don't get paid very well at OU.
Only good for unexperienced fitness instructors looking to gain experience
Lots of coordination and problem solving skills required as you deal with many different clients, suppliers, students and guests from all over.

As the first line of defense, your demeanor and attitude is of the upmost importance.
Worked 18 hours per week registering students and processing transcripts and forms for students. Change in computer system made job much more complicated. Enjoyed the people I worked with and assisting students.
Pursuing a masters degree in electrical and computer engineering is always productive in ou ,as a student i have learned many things in subjects like Automotive mechatronics and Embedded system.
I completed my bachelor degree of nursing with Oakland University. I chose the online study because of my personal life. The program has its positives and negatives, much like any other program.
This is a great place to get your start and to network. Teams are always high energy, collaborative, using new methods to collaborate and interact with their populations.
Very relaxed place to work with very friendly people as a whole. A lot of people stay here for the majority of their life and thoroughly enjoy being at OU.
Mostly made calls to students to remind of upcoming tuition due dates. Was not training in much more. Horrible environment not allowed to talk to coworkers. Wasted time there no benefit to my career. Horrible leadership
There are many opportunities to have a direct effect on the future of health care. The faculty are engaged, invested in serving students, and creating a culture of inclusivity.
I would highly recommend this job to students going to school. It is not a hard job and you get to sit there and do your homework. This job is a great way to make some money and stay on top of your school work.
Post job boards to VSS career services page. Assist walk-in students with any questions they might have. Answer the phone and take messages. Finally, help veterans with resumes when needed.
but Oakland university is where I go to school, it is not, nor has it ever been, a place where I work. Solely because that's 100% just not at all a thing. I was a teller at Comerica.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oakland University. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.4Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
3.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight