Oakland University Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
Excellent Learning Opportunity
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Organizational LeadershipJune 18, 2018
As a research assistant, I had the opportunity to work with professors and advance their research. This provided the opportunity to better understand research skills and techniques.
overwork grad students and underpay them
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJune 14, 2018
they haven't raised the pay for grad students in almost 15 years. it's ridiculous and they expect you to work at least 40 a week, not the 20 required by your "contract". At least the staff is super nice but many of them are in the same boat
Great place to work and grow your career
Executive Director, Macomb-OU INC. (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJune 13, 2018
I really loved working at Oakland University! It was inclusive of all departments. I had the opportunity to work independently off-site but often had meetings on campus and was fully embraced as part of the campus. Very fond memories of the institution! Each day of my work was exciting. No two days were the same....I worked with startup companies.
Pros
Beautiful, friendly campus
Cons
None that come to mind
Fun place to work if you're post bachelor's degree
Teaching Assistant for Electromechanical Systems (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJune 8, 2018
The teaching assistant position was geared more to people pursuing a post bachelor's degree. The benefits include having tuition paid for. Since I was undergrad, it didn't affect me.
Pros
free tuition
Cons
dealing with students' egos
Conference Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIMay 30, 2018
Oakland University is a great place to work and to go to school. It is a very welcoming, at home environment and is somewhere that will always have your back if you need them.
Overall
Caller (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIMay 20, 2018
This job was very simple, it was an on campus job, so it worked really well with my schedule. A typical day consisted of calling Oakland alumni and raising donations. Management was very professional, yet fun. We had company parties and games that we played during the work time for raising money, it was very enjoyable.
Pros
Cons
Slow days
Easy-going and flexible work
Library Assistant - Circulation Desk (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIMay 17, 2018
I worked at Oakland University as an overnight library assistant during the weekends. I enjoyed my work environment very much and had lovely managers. As an overnight library assistant, I learned how to do basic secretarial work.
Great learning environment for Graduate Assisstants
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIMay 15, 2018
As a Graduate Assistant I aided the Creative Writing Department Head, and she was a great person to work for. She was very fair and informative. I was involved in marketing events for the program and was able to be in a supportive role to her Creative Writing students, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Typical Office job
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIMay 14, 2018
A typical day at work involved scanning, indexing, and filing all transfer student transcripts from the school. One other student and I were in charge of completing this task for the summer. There weren't any hard parts of the job. The enjoyable thing is that you will always be in an air conditioned facility.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Boring after staring at a computer screen all day
A Culture of Backstabbing & Complaining
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIMay 4, 2018
If you plan to work at OU, watch your back. It has a culture of backstabbing and complaining co-workers. Management is even worse. Expect no training.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor management, backstabbing, no training

Want to know more about Oakland University?

Ask a question
Great place to be
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIMay 2, 2018
Oakland University is an amazing university with a great housing department any undergraduate would be lucky to be apart of. It is an amazing place to be with wonderful people to work for.
Pros
Stipend, own room
Cons
Duty
Mgmt doesn’t care about employees, only covering their own behinds
Development Officer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIApril 10, 2018
Mgmt is a club of friends who have worked together for many years. Outsiders are not welcome. They either don’t know how or simply do not want to help their employees succeed. They are there for the retirement benefits.

The “worker bees” are great, nice people.
Pros
2:1 match on retirement!
Cons
People suck
Oakland University Admissions Ambassador
Admissions Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIApril 9, 2018
Responsible for taking potential students on campus tours and providing them with all of the information they need about the university. Making phone calls to incoming students reminding them of important days and helping them out with questions they may have. Filing admission papers in filing cabinets and getting letters ready for mailing.
Pros
Networking, reasonable breaks, nice supervisors, awesome cowokers
Cons
Lack of hours
Good student work
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIApril 9, 2018
Worked under a professor doing grading and setting up classes, not hard but was good work while being a student. Overall is a really good place to work.
wonderful place of employment
Student Caller (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIApril 9, 2018
I really enjoy working here. my co-workers are always nice and engage in conversation. You always get to talk to someone, weather its on the phone with an alum or a co-worker in the room. You work 3.5 hours a day Mon-Thursday , Sunday and sometimes Saturday, there are two shifts available on Sunday. You are able to do homework as long as it is not on a computer. This job is very enjoyable.
Pros
sitting, talking the whole time, can do homework
Cons
only 3.5 hours, ends at 9 pm.
Fun work environment
Bag Drop (Former Employee) –  Oakland, MIApril 7, 2018
I really liked the work environment and the coworkers. The job was a good summer job and it taught me to be hardworking. I liked the general manager too. The pay was also good.
Being a treasure for a student organization was rewarding.
Society of Operations Management - Treasurer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIApril 7, 2018
I was part of a student org, who gave back to students through various activity's and events based on a budget the school awarded us per semester. We would promote the learning and growth of operations management and get employers involved with students on a bi-weekly basis and had various presenters come in to educate/entertain the students.
Special Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIApril 2, 2018
An excellent place to work, and they treat their part timers VERY well, and pay them better than any university in the area. Just don't expect to become full time from pt, as they tend to hire FT from the outside rather than internally.
Box Office Manager
Box Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIMarch 14, 2018
Good communication between client and management., Team worked efficiently and rarely was there any issues with scheduling/payroll. Team was happy to be involved.
Pros
Free tickets to shows
Cons
Took away from school time
Awesome place to work.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIMarch 12, 2018
Worked as graduate assistant. Professors are really good and they trust you completely for your assigned work. Work is evenly distributed throughout the semester so you never feel overwhelmed.
Pros
Good work environment, lots of things to learn