Oakwood Hospital Employee Reviews

Oakwood Hospital
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIMarch 9, 2018
Social workers were assigned to various floors in the hospital and whatever issues needed tending to on one's assigned floors, he tended to. I worked largely in the area of discharge planning. Would arrange and conduct interviews with families and with patients to discuss options and help with planning. Would provide counseling and outside community referrals to patients when needed. I might provide resources for substance abuse or help patients who might be homeless or in need of financial assistance. Every day could be different depending on the patients being treated on my floors. I commonly would have to arrange for a lot of durable medical equipment to be delivered or for transfers to nursing homes. I was assigned the orthopedic floor and most of the elderly patients required some intervention.

Sometimes the workload could become stressful, but most days I enjoyed most everything about it. I loved the interaction.

Oakwood was bought out and taken over by Beaumont Health a number of years ago.
Pros
Loved working with the elderly, in particular. Enjoyed the people I worked with. Great benefits and salary, at the time of my employment.
Cons
Caseload could become overwhelming on occasion.
Call center very active days went by faster. Could not always satisfy the patients.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIFebruary 21, 2018
Management gave support always. Helping patients with problem solving was always rewarding. Good job. Left to retire could not drive 65 miles to work daily. Worked 26.5 years at Oakwood.
Pros
Helping patients, insurances, attorneys and physicians.
Cons
Unhappy patients who would cuss or verbally abuse me.
Enjoyed the pace.
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIFebruary 3, 2018
I was able to spend more time with my patients, therefore giving quality care. I enjoyed the atmosphere and coworkers. Great weaning protocols. Great benefits.
Pros
Lunch and learn
Cons
None.
management
Environmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJanuary 9, 2018
Beaumont just recently bought Oakwood
The Environmental Service department management doesn't value their employees.
Management is unknowledgeable on how the department runs.
Busy work environment
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJanuary 1, 2018
Stable work environment. Fair management team. Great benefits. Good and supportive coworkers. Safe work environment. Good hours and benefits. Good stability.
Benefits
Cons
Salary
Awesome place to work
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIDecember 31, 2017
I loved working here, the teamwork is phenomenal, the pay and benefits are great, and the managers genuinely care, scheduling is never a problem because the mangers are fair.
stressful
Adult Sitter (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIDecember 19, 2017
job was easy but requirements were demanding and unrealistic and unfair. I was a sitter so no one cared about us too much and showed us any respect. we were last to know everything. was fired because I worked 11pm-7am, staffing called cell phone and asked me to work 7am-3pm (16 hours straight) I agreed because I needed the money. no one considered that I had just worked an over night shift so I worked the shift. I fell a sleep and they fired me. it was my fault because I feel a sleep and I agreed to work the shift. I don't think you should be asked to stay over if she had just stayed up all night. my name shouldn't have been on the call list if they were short sitters.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
hard sitter jobs.
Tolerable
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 30, 2017
Understaffed on a midnight shift. Poor nurse to patient ratios. Had to care for up to 11 patients on a medical surgical unit do to staffing difficulties. Not a team work environment.
Diverse and fun environment
Medical-Surgical RN (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MISeptember 23, 2017
The best part about this job was my co-workers. Everyone worked well together and the teamwork was great. It was stressful howeve, some nights I would be in charge with 7 patients.
Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  inSeptember 11, 2017
My employment was with Crothall Facilities management, working with the staff in the hospital was always an easy job, they were very supportive and worked well with the facilities group to maintain the integrity of the facility.
Pros
Great staffing
Cons
Productive and made a difference in the lives of patients
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIAugust 26, 2017
As a laboratory professional, we provide the highest quality results that allow clinicians to diagnose and treat patients. It is fast paced, sometimes stressful, but makes a difference in the lives of patients.
Educational and structured workplace
Patient Accounting Representative (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIAugust 12, 2017
Oakwood was one of my first jobs and I learned a lot from them. I appreciate that they were willing to hire a person with no experience and educate them enough to move up in their career.
Pros
Educational
Good job
Valet Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJuly 6, 2017
I liked working here. I just didn't like when it would get below freezing during the winter time. Other than that it was nice. I got a chance to drive a lot of nice looking cars and I thought that was pretty cool.
Productive companies to work for and extremely motivating.
PCT/CHT (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJune 11, 2017
Extremely, motivating career and I would love to work for them again if i'm ever back in the area. They are so rewarding and they treat their employees like family members. i never had an issue from none of the staff members while being staffed with the corporation.
Pros
Great values
Cons
No cons really
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIMarch 31, 2017
Volunteering at Oakwood was a great experience working in a hospital setting. Everyone was really focused and nice. I learned a lot about how fast paced a hospital is. The management was great, so nice and caring! There wasn't really a hard part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was working and caring for the patient.
Nice
Phlebotomist and Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIMarch 17, 2017
Excellent in every regard. Wonderful place to work and live . No complaints of any kind. Never had a problem with management or staff. Always very professional.
Fun
OR, Outpatient Surgery and Cardiovascular Surgery (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJanuary 17, 2017
I loved it! So many awesome people that are caring and extremely loyal. Tons of great experiences and opportunities offered to everyone no matter the age.
Fun to work
ADULT SITTER (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJanuary 12, 2017
I loved the managers, very concerned as well as understanding. Most of the staff were easy going and the families of the patients made your job easy. I hate I had to relocate from such good people, but my family needed to see as well as experience a different lifestyle as opposed to what they were adapted to for years. If ever I relocate back to the downriver area, I would most definately choose Beaumont Oakwood; to be my first choice.
Pros
Adapt well to all of the doctors
Cons
Racism in some departments
Focus on employee overall health
Manager Patient Access Registration (Former Employee) –  Taylor, MINovember 6, 2016
I started at the company as a contingent ER registration clerk and ended my career in 2014 as the Manager of Registration. Great company to work for if your seeking advancement. I worked for the company 34 years. Our focus was patient satisfaction and as Managers we were expected to hire candidates that understood that our patients had to be their priority.
Pros
Appreciation rewards
Cons
Productive with volley ball, running,
Patient Account specialist (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MINovember 3, 2016
enter and maintains patient account information file data, retrieve status information from payer website, ph calls, makes corrections to patient acct