Oberweis Dairy Employee Reviews

Management Poor
CDL B Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  North Aurora, ILDecember 17, 2018
Management incompetent, routes out of balance, preferential treatment to less tenured employees and shady business practices. Outsourced their grocery delivery business and gave employees 4 days notice that they were “fired”.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management incompetent
Pay your bills and get out
Temp Driver (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MINovember 15, 2018
If they had a driver helper this would be A1. The people who work there are great but they deserve better there's no way to grow and get up higher in the food chain and pay increase are barely there for their seasoned drivers
Pros
you can your bills
Cons
Needs a driver helper with the unload things would go alot smoother, Also you have to load your own truck which sucks.
Mangers Rude and Stuck up
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILNovember 7, 2018
The typical day I was cleaning dishes at Oberweis Dairy. It took a while to get used to everything and how to make their products. I was joking around and the corporate office fired me because I wrote an offense joke on a complaint card. The main store manager is rude and kind of middle age and a lot of people quit because they get along with her.
Pros
Free Ice Cream
Cons
Managers are Rude, Late Hours Allways Closing
The work culture one would explain as "chaotic"
Territory Manager/Sales (Former Employee) –  North Aurora, ILNovember 5, 2018
The work culture one would explain as "chaotic" extending from top management and down. VP likes to create division and deception between managers on his team. Exclusively creating control for himself through smear campaigns, deceitful underhanded complements, berating mangers in meetings if their ideas/suggestions or conversation out-shined him in any shape or form that would make him think in his own mind that he was less than what he fears as one of his opponents ON HIS OWN TEAM. It is a mind blowing engineered experience of a hot mess that he operates under.
Pros
product
Cons
the experience of working there
Run as fast as you can!
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Schererville, INNovember 4, 2018
Honestly the management is horrible rude and very unprofessional. they tell you can make lots of money but guess what you cant maybe the first 2 weeks but thats it! RUN VERY FAR!
Pros
own schedule
Cons
Horrible manager...
Productive and easy work environment
Assistant manager, shift leader (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILNovember 3, 2018
Overall the company is a great company to work for especially for moving forward with the company. The job mostly evolves cooking or prepping food for consumers expense.
Fun workplace
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILSeptember 23, 2018
I loved working at oberweis as it is extremely collaborative, fun, and a supportive place to work. You are paid extremely fairly for it being a part time job and the staff are all incredible.
Great Starter Job
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 30, 2018
If you’re still in high school this is a great place to work! You make your money & learn customer service skills that carry on to your next job! I would Not recommend anyone over the high school age that has bills and/or children to work here. Pay isn’t that well because no matter the hourly rate, you still don’t get the hours. Management isn’t too great. They can be lazy yet bossy! It’s hard to get a manager to train or help you improve your work performance. The company is cheap & too stern.
Pros
Upbeat environment, discounts
Cons
Underpaid/not enoug hours
Official response from Oberweis Dairy
September 11, 2018

Thank you for you feedback. We appreciate your comments and will provide this feedback to upper management to review. Thank you again.

Fun and productive workplace.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOAugust 29, 2018
Oberweis Dairy was a great place to work as my first job. I learned many life skills and everyone was friendly. Unfortunately we were forced to leave as the store closed.
Pros
Team building, friendly, relaxed, discounts
Cons
Landlord doesn't want to pay rent
Underpaid and Underappreciated
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisAugust 14, 2018
You are expected to work beyond the 45 hours per week. If you are understaffed you may work 70 hours a week for the same pay. Upper corporate management is hard to get through to and not very hands on in the store level.
Cons
No breaks if it is busy, expectations are too high
I don’t suggest working here
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJuly 18, 2018
Most managers, shift leaders and other crew members are very rude and catty, lots of gossip and talking behind others backs. Started out with over 40 crew members and only have 10 crew members at the moment. Hours have also been cut with few people getting over 15 hours a week. Not unusual for a person to be scheduled 5 hours a week at most or not being scheduled at all even though the store needs the extra help. I do not suggest anyone under the age of 18 work here because you get paid less than minimum wage, and I don’t suggest anyone over the age of 18 that need to pay rent/bills/etc. work here because you don’t get the hours needed to pay for necessities
Cons
No hours, not enough workers, no breaks
Friendly crew, good opportunities
Shift Leader/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILJuly 10, 2018
Oberweis, was a great place where i met alot of friends. But also, oberweis led to the start of me getting experience in running my owns shifts and managing myself a little better.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Poor compensation
Bad management and low pay
Scooper (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIJuly 9, 2018
I worked here for roughly 6 months. I had gotten this job just to make some money while in school, that was a mistake. There was a change in management shortly after i started and thats when everything when downhill. The new manager is rude and has no care for proper techniques (washing dishes, stocking at the end of the night, using machines, etc.). If you had an emergency and could not come into work, you would be punished for not finding someone to cover. The schedules are never accurate and never fair. The pay was bad, i think the largest check i ever received was $195, for roughly 20 hrs of work, but of course about $40 of that went to taxes. I only made $7.85 for the first 4 months if working there, after that it was bumped to $8.25. I would not recommend this job to anyone. They also had me closing (10-11pm) on school nights.
Pros
get a free treat every shift you work
Cons
management is rude
Productive work place but poor management
Crew Trainer (Current Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILJuly 8, 2018
Typical work day and workplace culture was okay but management needs to be changed very soon!! The most enjoyable part of the job was the ice-cream. The hardest part of the job was not having a reliable manager and staff every night.
Nothing really good to say
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJune 24, 2018
The mentality is very do as i say not as i do. Manager belittles you. While she sits around, you will do everything. My favorite is when she left work for 3 hours and still got paid for it. I always considered that time clock theft. However this company allowed it. Breaks are unheard of. Even after being there for 9 hours. Not enough pay for that bs. She does more snap chat stories than actual work.
Pros
Cons
No breaks, unprofessinal to say the least
Fun work place
Cashier / Scooper (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJune 11, 2018
Really enjoyed working here. The management is nice and the co-workers are fun. The worst thing is how much work you have to do for little pay. I would still recommend this job for high school students though.
Pros
Discount, Friendly/Fun work environment, Paid breaks
Cons
Tons of work over summer, Low pay
Not a good place to work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILJune 11, 2018
Working there was extremely stressful and the hours were absolutely horrible. All very nice people but wasn’t worth the foot aches from running around on my feet for 6 hours with one 10 minute break that we didn’t even get sometimes
Poor at expanding into new markets
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 11, 2018
This company based all of their market research on being a regional company for many decades with great success. Upon expansion into a new market, their business model did not fit well into a new market, which created problems within management regarding their profit/labor expectations. The pressure from upper management did little to address the operational issues with meeting demands that were more manageable in an already established market. This manifested itself in a sort of double-speak that put pressure on management to cut labor while also working less themselves. All in all a rather frustrating experience.
A good starting job
scooper & cashier (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILMay 24, 2018
The environment with the people was upbeat. It was very faced paced at some points due to multiple orders coming in and a line being very long. The management at the time I worked there was absolutely horrible and the pay is very unfair but again it's just a starting job.
Shift Leader
SHIFT LEADER (Former Employee) –  Park Ridge, ILMay 20, 2018
learned a lot, helped me become a better leader but favoritism was shown a lot at my store which contributed to my struggle to move up within the company. other shift leaders had bad work ethic and were often lazy and i would have to do all the work. helped out at another store and was technically their assistant manager for a period of time getting the shift leader pay
Pros
free ice cream, good discount, leadership
Cons
no breaks, bad pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oberweis Dairy. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about