Oberweis Dairy Employee Reviews

Underpaid and Underappreciated
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisAugust 14, 2018
You are expected to work beyond the 45 hours per week. If you are understaffed you may work 70 hours a week for the same pay. Upper corporate management is hard to get through to and not very hands on in the store level.
Cons
No breaks if it is busy, expectations are too high
I don’t suggest working here
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJuly 18, 2018
Most managers, shift leaders and other crew members are very rude and catty, lots of gossip and talking behind others backs. Started out with over 40 crew members and only have 10 crew members at the moment. Hours have also been cut with few people getting over 15 hours a week. Not unusual for a person to be scheduled 5 hours a week at most or not being scheduled at all even though the store needs the extra help. I do not suggest anyone under the age of 18 work here because you get paid less than minimum wage, and I don’t suggest anyone over the age of 18 that need to pay rent/bills/etc. work here because you don’t get the hours needed to pay for necessities
Cons
No hours, not enough workers, no breaks
Bad management and low pay
Scooper (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIJuly 9, 2018
I worked here for roughly 6 months. I had gotten this job just to make some money while in school, that was a mistake. There was a change in management shortly after i started and thats when everything when downhill. The new manager is rude and has no care for proper techniques (washing dishes, stocking at the end of the night, using machines, etc.). If you had an emergency and could not come into work, you would be punished for not finding someone to cover. The schedules are never accurate and never fair. The pay was bad, i think the largest check i ever received was $195, for roughly 20 hrs of work, but of course about $40 of that went to taxes. I only made $7.85 for the first 4 months if working there, after that it was bumped to $8.25. I would not recommend this job to anyone. They also had me closing (10-11pm) on school nights.
Pros
get a free treat every shift you work
Cons
management is rude
Productive work place but poor management
Crew Trainer (Current Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILJuly 8, 2018
Typical work day and workplace culture was okay but management needs to be changed very soon!! The most enjoyable part of the job was the ice-cream. The hardest part of the job was not having a reliable manager and staff every night.
Nothing really good to say
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJune 24, 2018
The mentality is very do as i say not as i do. Manager belittles you. While she sits around, you will do everything. My favorite is when she left work for 3 hours and still got paid for it. I always considered that time clock theft. However this company allowed it. Breaks are unheard of. Even after being there for 9 hours. Not enough pay for that bs. She does more snap chat stories than actual work.
Pros
Cons
No breaks, unprofessinal to say the least
Fun work place
Cashier / Scooper (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJune 11, 2018
Really enjoyed working here. The management is nice and the co-workers are fun. The worst thing is how much work you have to do for little pay. I would still recommend this job for high school students though.
Pros
Discount, Friendly/Fun work environment, Paid breaks
Cons
Tons of work over summer, Low pay
Not a good place to work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILJune 11, 2018
Working there was extremely stressful and the hours were absolutely horrible. All very nice people but wasn’t worth the foot aches from running around on my feet for 6 hours with one 10 minute break that we didn’t even get sometimes
Poor at expanding into new markets
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 11, 2018
This company based all of their market research on being a regional company for many decades with great success. Upon expansion into a new market, their business model did not fit well into a new market, which created problems within management regarding their profit/labor expectations. The pressure from upper management did little to address the operational issues with meeting demands that were more manageable in an already established market. This manifested itself in a sort of double-speak that put pressure on management to cut labor while also working less themselves. All in all a rather frustrating experience.
A good starting job
scooper & cashier (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILMay 24, 2018
The environment with the people was upbeat. It was very faced paced at some points due to multiple orders coming in and a line being very long. The management at the time I worked there was absolutely horrible and the pay is very unfair but again it's just a starting job.
Shift Leader
SHIFT LEADER (Former Employee) –  Park Ridge, ILMay 20, 2018
learned a lot, helped me become a better leader but favoritism was shown a lot at my store which contributed to my struggle to move up within the company. other shift leaders had bad work ethic and were often lazy and i would have to do all the work. helped out at another store and was technically their assistant manager for a period of time getting the shift leader pay
Pros
free ice cream, good discount, leadership
Cons
no breaks, bad pay

Want to know more about Oberweis Dairy?

Ask a question
Productive and fun
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Oakville, MOMay 19, 2018
Learned to deal with customers and customer service and how to deal with quick paced timing
very good management and good people to work with for a part time job
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
not very many breaks during summer
Wonerful!
Crew Trainer/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bartlett, ILMay 17, 2018
My only complaint is I worked when I was only paid $8.25, but they have raised their wages since I have left. Very Fun and pretty laid back. I recommend this job to anyone
Pros
Free ice cream, great co-workers
Cons
Low pay, not many hours
I liked working at Oberweis
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lincolnwood, ILMay 16, 2018
This is the perfect job for high school student and college students. You learn customer service skills and also how to make a great shake. The environment can be fast paced but enjoyable.
Cool job if you just want a job. Not enough opportunities for advancement.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 14, 2018
Typical delivery job, but better pay. This job is pretty easy. I enjoyed my coworkers and it was like a family atmosphere. Information is shared openly from management.
Great first job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILApril 8, 2018
I really enjoyed working here, put the pay was lame. I had other friends making $10 an hour, while I made $7.75 an hour. My manager was a sweet man and I enjoyed my staff. Working with desserts is a lot of fun!
Pros
Friendly staff, delicious desserts
Cons
long hours and little pay
Horrible Experience
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCApril 3, 2018
I was a sales rep at the Morrisville office for a couple of months. The manager lied about how much you could make to get you in the door. You are doing door to door sales trying to sell milk that people don't want to buy. Your sales don't count unless a customer spends more then 9 bucks. Hard to make sales door to door, and even harder to book businesses to sell your product in. You pay for everything gas, events, props, to sell the milk, the only thing the company provides is the free samples of milk and clothing. Horrible training, the manager basically goes out with you for an hour then you sink or swim on your own during training. Company does not work to retain employees, plus your giving the same promotions that the direct mail and internet advertise so there is no incentive for customers to buy from you. Lots of no soliciting neighborhoods so your spending lots of time and gas finding places to knock. Was told the sales you make during training do not count for your quota, and was lied to about that, so if your don't sell well during training it will drag down your average and they will fire you because of it.
Pros
50% percent off on products
Cons
The job, Management, Expenses, Culture, Low Pay
Deliver Oberweis Products
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 21, 2018
Very expensive benefits, Micro management is the norm, High school like work environment, Becareful of what you said to the management and your coworkers,( At all times ) , Turn over is very high, (spokes on a wheel treatment ) Always hiring/posting for help wanted.
Pros
A pay check
Cons
Too many too list .
You don't get paid enough and it isn't a stable pay. It changes every pay week
Scooper (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILMarch 20, 2018
You don't get paid enough for the hours you work every two weeks. You don't get paid enough and it isn't a stable pay. It changes every pay week. No break and you don't ever get to sit.
Pros
Ice cream
Cons
No break. Low pay.
Poorly managed company. Over promise on pay salary doesn't come close to what is promised in job description.
Route Specialist/ Route Driver (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 17, 2018
Poorly managed. No room for advancement. Leadership steals employee's idea giving the employee no credit. Low pay and expensive benefits. Upper management doesn't care about the employees
Pros
Cons
Low pay, expensive benefits
Fun
Cashier & Ice Cream Scooper (Former Employee) –  North Aurora, ILMarch 16, 2018
Oberwies was a fun work environment. I met a ton of awesome people. The pay was okay, good for a highschool students first job. I would recommend to anyone looking for a first job,
Pros
free ice cream after shift
Cons
stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oberweis Dairy. Our community is ready to answer.