Occidental College Employee Reviews

builds experience but overworks you
Graduate Hall Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 23, 2019
As a graduate hall coordinator, was on duty one week every month which meant after 6 pm you were on call for any crisis that happened on campus. This caused an irregular sleep schedule.
Pros
Food money, free living, networking experience
Cons
being on call, supervising immense number of RAs, no time for leaving campus
After years of loyalty, treated badly.
Cook A Lead (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90041March 24, 2019
The culture in the kitchen was very stressful. The Managers only care about making themselves look good. While the line employees bend over backwards to make the students happy
Pros
Students were nice
Cons
Managers only cared about themselves
Relaxed environment with no set deadlines
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 20, 2019
As a grader, I chose my own hours and worked about 10 hours biweekly. Not stressful at all. Nothing complicated and no requirements to apply. Highly recommend!
Pros
Chose my own hours.
Cons
None.
This was my undergrad institution
Undergraduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 10, 2018
An amazing place to go to school, that I will forever cherish, for many reasons. A welcoming environment that I was lucky to experience. It was and is a great place.
Great place to learn the industry.
Banquet Manger (Former Employee) –  Eagle Rock, CAAugust 29, 2018
Great Director of campus dining. Great mentor. Great atmosphere and beautiful grounds. Staff was great to work with and management works with you as an equal. That was the greatest part of working there. Everyone worked together as a team.
Pros
free lunch, benefits, nice surroundings
Cons
hard work, hectic
Great
Telefund Caller (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 27, 2018
Occidental college is a great employer and is loved by everybody who attends and works there. Could not recommend working there enough, I will never have enough nice things to say about it.
Growing program and fun workplace
College Advisor Aid (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 18, 2018
This workplace is very fun if you like working with kids. You get to help shape the young minds and help the students achieve graduating from high school and going off to college. You get to meet great people with some amazing stories.
Summary
Assistant Director of Design and Construction (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 9, 2018
I truly enjoyed working at Occidental College. It's a great place to work with fantastic people and a great culture. I enjoy collaborating and working with the team on projects.
Pros
Great Gym
Cons
Not so structured in certain areas.
Relaxed work environment with fun counselors
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Eagle Rock, CAJune 23, 2018
A typical day at the summer camp would be checking the kids in, doing a warm up, and helping lead exercises that involved movement based theatre. As a volunteer I helped with snack time, and making sure the kids were having fun. At the end of the week we would put on a show based on a fairytale, so I assisted the counselors on organizing it. It was a nice work environment, and I did the camp when I was younger, so I knew how it all worked.
Pros
Short commute, Friendly environment
Cons
Only temporary
Occidental is a great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eagle Rock, CAMay 19, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Occidental very much, and only left because I relocated for my Master's Program. It is a beautiful campus, and the culture is very friendly and positive.
Pleasant place to work at.
Faculty Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Johnson HallMay 3, 2018
I love working at Occidental College it's a diverse community. The best part is the faculty is very friendly and polite. My typical day varies in assisting about 25-40 professors.
Pros
Winter vacations
Cons
I only work here for 10 months
answering phones campus wide, process work orders, accounts rec, interview student worker, help with hiring process, assist with graduation order
Work Control specialist/ Administrative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 20, 2018
Occidental College is a great college but pay rate is very low. co-workers were great and it was a fun place to work. Did not have the chance to grow in the department.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
low pay rate
Undergraduate employment
Co-president Yoga Club (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 28, 2018
Employment to fulfill financial aid work study. Excellent hours and could work around student class/exam schedule. A wide variety of employment opportunities that fit any personality, skill level, and work experience.
Student Worker
IT Technician (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 22, 2018
I've worked multiple jobs at Occidental College as a student working. Some jobs have been slow-paced and others have been fast-paced. Overall, the supervisors are normally great to work with and understand that being a student comes first. Clients normally include students, staff, faculty, and prospective students.

Since Occidental College is an academic institution, working here is an educational experience. I've gained many new skills including technical support and clerical tasks.
Pros
great learning opportunity
Cons
sometimes stressful
Nice enough place to work, but advancement can be difficult.
Event Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 17, 2017
Great benefits, such as health, dental, and vision, but wages could be better. There is definitely a separation between "the help" and everyone else. This can make it difficult to advance to a higher position. Even though this separation exists, it is still a relatively nice place to work, as long as you are not looking to advance to a higher position.
Enjoyed the department I was in and my boss.
Executive Assistant to VP (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 11, 2017
Excellent environment developed by VP of Advancement at the time. Generated collaboration and camaraderie between all levels of staff. Enjoyed working with all staff and students at the college.
Great work culture
Office of Institutional Advancement Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 23, 2017
Work culture is great, everyone is extremely friendly and helpful. Also great school in beautiful setting. Academic institution, must uphold school's principles
Surrounded by great minds and academics
Administrative Assistant to the Head Librarian (Former Employee) –  Eagle Rock, CAOctober 8, 2017
I was treated very well by the staff and supervisors, who empowered me with great responsibilities and showed a level of trust in my competence from the beginning. I very much enjoyed working for my boss, the head librarian Alfred Gonsalves, but his health deteriorated to the point where he retired.
Pros
Great staff and atmosphere
Cons
An engaging environment where presenting new ideas and challenging the status quo are encouraged.
Helpdesk IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Eagle Rock, CAJuly 23, 2017
A typical day working the support desk involved troubleshooting existing hardware and systems for campus faculty and staff, and installation of new workstations and equipment. Key skills I learned how to balance included juggling multiple tickets at a time, proper research and critical thinking of previously unknown problems, and the ability to maintain a service level relationship with a wide list of clients. The management is close and friendly while the workplace culture encourages initiative for solving tickets in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was meeting and greeting faculty and staff from many different walks of life, and then building a rapport with them through repeated visits.
fun, intense, highly rewarding but...
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 12, 2017
so i did not work AT occidental college necessarily. i worked for the school in conjecture with a federal grant that provided college access to preselected, high needs public schools. the work we did was well intentioned and it was highly rewarding to see the students learn that college was more realistic than they had originally imagined. certain aspects in management hindered my overall experience there but if you can look over that, you wont find a more rewarding place to work at!