Occidental Petroleum Employee Reviews

Okay place to work
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 14, 2019
My experience with this company was okay. I had a couple of supervisor's, that were good people and some good co-worker's. Things change within a company sometimes and sometimes the changes are good for employee's or they are not and I realized it was time to move on.
Extended Family
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Addison, TXJanuary 12, 2019
I Loved my Job here and would not leave unless forced. 12 years and now I have to Leave, do to hours change and childcare. very sad day:( I went from contract to hired. I handle the chemical emergency line, toured the building, it was a little weird coming here its like your family. I wasn't used to that.
Pros
everything?
Cons
alot of pressure not to disapoint.
No advancement for other oppurtunites
Maximo Technician (Former Employee) –  Andrews, TXJanuary 1, 2019
Most enjoyable part of job was having the respect of the first two supervisors. I learned the system I did for over 6 years and wanted to move onto something different to learn and didn't get transferred because upper management didn't want anyone leaving those areas.
ok company
Drilling Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 26, 2018
Pros

*Willing to train you
*Benefits are great
*Vacation/sick days/paid holidays/bearevement leave/short/long disability (vacation roll over)
*wellness & perks program, discount programs, bonus
*401k & life insurance, medical, dental, vision
*room for advancement

Cons

I was happy at this company!
Overall Great Company
Operations Controller (Current Employee) –  Ingleside, TXDecember 21, 2018
Team players-Team Leaders-Overall Great Company to be apart of. People were always in a good positive mood. Everyone was aboard regarding Safety/Security/and the mission.
Benefits
Cons
Work Ethics
Piping Designer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 11, 2018
Too Much Office Pollitics, I did not like it, there was a lot of work and opportunity to do it and save the company Money, but due to secretaries running the department I decided to leave.
Pros
Work
contract
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 10, 2018
contract with no opportunity to go permanent even after posting for several internal permanent positions. spoke with district manager and nothing was done about management
Nepotism - Unqualified Spouses and Relatives Replace the Talented
Project Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 7, 2018
Oxy's direct employees get their relatives and spouses hired at an above average rate.

Actually had an Oxy employee take credit for a years worth of my work then got his wife hired by Oxy to take my place.

Engineers are promoted to management with no experience or qualifications. Then they micromanage the technical staff to the point of stopping progress.

Adversarial culture toward contractors. Project management is severely lacking. They build facilities with no engineered drawings or any direction for the construction contractors. Then when the project is late and over spent they blame the contractor.
Pros
Casual dress code
Cons
Poor treatment of contractors
Nice
MSDS Coordinator (Former Employee) –  TexasDecember 5, 2018
Oxy Chemical is an ok place to work. Even though your work is super important they have a kind of laid back kind of feel to your work. Traveled a lot and work was fascinating.
Pros
traveling and pay
Cons
the plants can be hot
Review
Enterprise Architect (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 23, 2018
I do not want to give a review, but Indeed requires one. Oxy is an average large corporation. It has good points (good compensation) and bad points (swings in oil prices drive the company).

Want to know more about Occidental Petroleum?

Ask a question
Great Potential for advancement
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tupman, CANovember 20, 2018
Oxy invests in their people. Education was reimbursed, I excelled and grew with the company until they left California and were replaced by California Resource Corporation.
Productive and collaborative work place
Senior Cost Analyst/Plant Controller (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 11, 2018
Good work environment and culture. People are always willing to train and help when need. The company promotes a collaborative work environment. Work life balance is great. Great benefit. Overall, a good company to work for.
Na
ACCOUNTING SPECIALIST-EXPENSE ADMIN (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 25, 2018
Oxy is a great company great employees the work area is great. Managing is great as well. Oxy has open a lot of doors for me working with them. I learn new skills.
Great Place
Well Performance Specialist / Well Analyst (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXOctober 24, 2018
Oxy is a really good company. It may not be the highest paying out there but you will always have a job as long as you are doing your job. I would recommend to anyone.
Excellent employee-focused corporation with a small company feel.
Risk Operations Analyst/Trade Control (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 9, 2018
I worked in the Houston corporate office. The culture is all about innovation, creativity, collaboration and working together as a team, being proactive, results oriented and taking risks.
Too many Supervisors
Drill Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dickinson, NDOctober 7, 2018
This was not a great place to work as the direct management team made every effort to belittle and supress creative ideas. There was no room for any error or employees were threatened with their jobs.
Pros
Cons
Less pay than competirion.
Very good company
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Delaware City, DESeptember 28, 2018
People were good to work with, good open door policy, the company says it cares about safety and backs it up, would have liked to be able to retire from there.
Pros
pay, benefits, people
Cons
plant shut down
Great company to work for (at the time)
Systems Programmer (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYSeptember 18, 2018
My experience with Oxy is very old (from the 80's), but it was a great experience and helped shape my career. Company paid for my degree and promoted me a few times.
Pros
Great benefits and career development
Cons
The left the city I lived in
Excellent
Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 11, 2018
It is a great firm to work. Great working environment. Staff friendly.Good compensations and excellent benefits. Overall job security. Paid holidays for long term contract assignment..
Pros
Free breakfastact
Good
Control room operator (Former Employee) –  Ingleside, TXSeptember 7, 2018
Great place to work , very demanding at times but it’s what you you’re paid to do. I can’t say enough good things about the company ,I learned a lot there and also thought a lot things to my fellow employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Occidental Petroleum. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight