Occidental logo

Occidental Employee Reviews

Occidental insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues

Did not enjoy my time there

There were a lot of difficult people to work for, a lot of micromanagers. There was no work/life balance. It was not a positive experience.The pay and benefits were good.

Pros

Pay, benefits

Cons

Everything else

Enjoyed the work, dreaded the culture.

Your experience will depend on the location and that manger. Mine was horrible and created an atmosphere of mistrust and fear. He treated everyone with contempt and threats. The very sad part was upper management knew this but did nothing about it as quality employee after quality employee either quit all together or asked for a transfer to a different area.

Pros

Great pay and benefits

Cons

No respect for a life outside of work.

not very good

Not very impressed, I don't know what else to say really. They will promise promotions that don't come to fruiition. Management doesn't want to listen.

Pays well

Just pays well. Their are things that could be done but don’t have the man power or budget to do anything. Mostly I felt I was there to bandaid and give excuses of why we were not able to give the hire ups the answers of why things were malfunctioning or not working correctly. The automation is dated and never works correctly and it’s very ambiguous as far as what u think a well might be doing.

Good where it matters most

Oxy is very loyal to employees as proven in the challenging events of 2020. The world is challenging. They hire good people and have minimal turnover. Compensation is fantastic and vacation is best I’ve ever seen. The rating system and career development need work, but overall, people who produce results, expand their skills, and work well with others do advance in salary grade and roles. It’s the best company by far I have ever worked by evidenced by the fact that I’ve been here nearly 10 years.

Pros

Comp, benefits, work/life balance, people, challenging work

Cons

Career development, annual rating process

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Oxy

Loved working for this company . The people were great to work with that they had great benefits. The pay was good too. I highly recommend working for this company.

Pros

People

Cons

Commute

No time off.

No time off. 60-80 hour work weeks. As long as production is met management doesn't care. 1 weekend off a month. 5 different shifts in 1 week sometimes.

Pros

Pay is good

Cons

No time off. 8 days on 1 off. Maybe.

Great Place to work

Amazing company culture, However Management could more organized and reactive.Good Benefits, PTO and Pension, there is a lot of support from co-workers

Pros

Good Pay and benefits

Cons

Poor Management

It’s the people

The company allows too much power to management, with out any benchmarking. Too much nepotism & favoritism. Everyone hires their friends, no real training or care for people elevating.

Pros

Potential if hired from contract position

Cons

Length of contracts is neverending

Great workplace

This is a great place to work. There is a sense of family on your shift and everybody helps everybody. There is a lot of teamwork in place out here and people wanting to help

Jobs at Occidental

See more jobs

Engineer

Meh company. Pay is decent and benefits are good. But they cut short all bonus and raises are very low company wide. A lot of good ole boy going on

Fun place to work. Culture is awesome. Great pay and interesting work.

The second best company for which I have ever worked. The work is interesting and challenging. The culture and coworkers were great. Management listened to their workers. I enjoyed my 11 years at Oxy and would work for them again. I left to move closer to family. I highly recommend this company.

Great place to call home!

I am a mid career transfer and I love working for Occidental. Coming from another strong company I was hesitant but the pay, benefits, and career advancement that Oxy has given me in such a short time has been amazing. Good folks with ambition can go far quickly.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Lean staffing at times

APC was a great place to work until Oxy took over.

Some people in leadership positions are there because they were at the right place at the right time, not because they are the best person for the job. Thanks "diversity and inclusion"!

Pros

Pay and benefits.

Cons

People are promoted based on some mysterious formula or secret code rather than knowledge, skills, abilities, experience, education, accomplishments, or value added to the company.

You never see management

You will work a lot of hours and you hardly ever see your losses so don’t think they’ll help. And your direct managers like to make sure that you know they’re smarter than you and that they’re your boss

Solid Company

Good pay and benefits, solid company, long-term stability. You can end up working pretty long hours and priorities can shift quickly. Most of the managers seemed pretty flexible.

Productive and fun. Feels like working with family.

Filled with fabulous and experienced mentors from the top down, my experience at Oxy was a great one. The pay was commensurate with my experience and the people I worked for and with absolutely blew me away with their willingness to share their knowledge and expertise, whether they were members of my team or in other Business Units! Highly recommended!

It was like family

You always felt like you belonged to a group of people that really cared about who you were and how you were doing. Compensation was superior to most companies with similar work activities.Vacation and holiday and time off were encouraged. Great place

Empowering place to work with good compensation

Was given the freedom to innovate within my job function and felt like what I did made a genuine benefit to the company. Management supported actions as long as there was good communication about why you were doing something.

pays well, great coworkers, cronyism, impulsive management, long hours

The pay and benefits are competitive. Layoffs are rare, and job security is very good. My coworkers are a pleasure to work with. We always look out for each other. 9/80 schedule is nice, if you actually get to take your Friday off.However, management is very impulsive, always shoots from the hip, and sees planning as a sign of weakness. Cronyism is rampant: executives place their inexperienced friends in management positions. There is no work-life balance. You'll be working nights, weekends, and holidays, and you'll never get to take your vacation. They even schedule meetings in the evenings and on Saturdays.

Pros

High pay, great coworkers, good job security, 9/80

Cons

Cronyism, poor management, no work-life balance

Decent pay, back stabbing culture

I had worked there for several years and yes the pay and benefits are decent. However, between management and the union there is a level of distrust amongst everyone. You will start out in laundry and will stay there at whatever the current starting wage is until an opening comes up in the production area. You could be in laundry for 1 day or a year plus. Then you have a to learn your job in 10 weeks and are given a "walk through" exam to see if you understand the basics. However, you have to pray your union representative who is follows along on the test likes you or isn't a overtime hog doesn't screw you during the process. Should you pass the walkthrough now you have to make sure you trust your coworkers that they won't throw you under the bus if they screw up. People of seniority have to worry about people with less seniority because if there is a way they can remove you and increase their chances to move up the seniority list or again get more overtime, they will. The current production bosses are the worst scheming, lying, cut throat people you can work for. They will fire you for anything if they don't like you. This job can provide for your family if you can stand the stress.

Pros

Pay, benefits and occasional freebees.

Cons

Stress, lying, job security, dangerous (possible asbestos exposure)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Occidental. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Women's ratings

4.3Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss