OCEAN COUNTY COLLEGE Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
political and volitile
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toms River, NJJune 27, 2018
very political place to work, no understanding of how to run a business at the top of the school, poor management and no training for them. no advancement, deadend
Good job
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJMay 25, 2018
The campus is very busy which is good and bad. The fellow students are also passionate about their jobs and learning which is a great environment to be in.
Hard to get a raise
Adjunct Professor Theatre (Current Employee) –  Toms River, NJApril 28, 2018
You must complete 8 consecutive semesters as an adjunct before asking for a raise. I have volunteered over 900 hours and they turned down my promotion.
Nice
Assistant Professor of Information Technology (Current Employee) –  Toms River, NJApril 28, 2018
Nice place to work. Great service to the community. Good student body, enjoyable to work with. Nice place to work.

Teaching days and opportunities vary. Days, evening and weekend classses are avaiiable.

When you teach, you learn more than the students.

Management has been good and not too interfering.
The hardest part is, nothing. I find the work easy.
I love working with students
Typical college environment
Professor (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJApril 18, 2018
Taught General Chemistry with Laboratory for those attempting a Associate in Science, Total time spent including lab was less than twenty hours per week.
Pros
easy job
Cons
odd hours
Finals sucked
Peer Tutor of Mathematics (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJMarch 1, 2018
Every semester the hard working individuals came in on a regular basis. We enjoyed helping these students as you could see the student improve right in front of you. But when finals came along you would see students come out of no where and expect us to teach them the curriculum in thirty minutes. Not fun.
Occ
Adjunct Faculty, English Dept (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJFebruary 1, 2018
The staff at OCC is fantastic, and for the most part, the dean and supervisors are supportive. However, the college is very disorganized and makes mistakes all the time.

I once taught an English class and was not told that the text book had changed until 5pm on the first day of classes. The information was not given in an e-mail and no meetings were held. I looked like an idiot in front of my class when I told them about the mistake. That is not the first time that mishaps have gone on.

Opportunities to become a full time professor = 0
Pros
Great teachers, very dedicated
Cons
No healthcare
Depends on department
Orientation Leader (Current Employee) –  Toms River, NJJanuary 2, 2018
Depends on what department you work in. The administration building is a joke. the building itself is old and falling apart, there is lack of communication within departments, and a high turnover rate. Working for the extra-curricular departments such as Theater, Student life, Student Support Services, and Television are a great work environment with excellent management and staff. The security on campus is unparalleled and very efficient. Overall it comes down to which department and how well your supervisor is, but it is a great place to go to school and work.
Pros
Great management. Very flexible hours. Great place to work while attending school.
Cons
Lack of communication.
Great colleagues
Associate Vice President Academic Affairs (Current Employee) –  Toms River, NJNovember 13, 2017
Very nice colleagues, excellent benefits. Compensation and health benefits were competitive. Technological support was excellent and access to necessary production tools were available.
Excellent Workplace
Adjunct Instructor - English (Current Employee) –  Toms River, NJ 08754October 22, 2017
I really enjoy working there. It has a great workplace culture. Everyone is friendly and supportive of one another. The students generally genuinely want to learn. Overall, it is a relaxed atmosphere in which to work.
Pros
less student behavioral issues
Cons
limited to part-time
Great pt time job
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJSeptember 17, 2017
As a student worker the job was a great experience to have. Also it was a great place to be more involve with the school social I recommend any student to work @ there school .
Ocean County College
Full Time Student (Current Employee) –  Toms River, NJAugust 28, 2017
I am a full-time student and am not actually working in a position at OCC. I am taking classes towards a Business Management degree. I like my school very much and am off to a great start.
Pros
Great Support System
Cons
None noted
Lab assistant
Photography laboratory assistant (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJJuly 16, 2017
I enjoyed being a lab assistant as it provided me the opportunity to work on my projects and explore creative avenues. The college provides a welcoming environment.
When I first started
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJJune 30, 2017
I loved the job especially the management. They care about their employees the president would always come around and greet department by department and it was a big happy family to work with, I never mind taking extra work, until the boss retired than we got a new president who started to minimize the people and bringing his own crew things change drastically, but over all I still maintain working as a team player but I didn't feel as happy so I retired early.
Pros
no free lunch
Cons
good health care
Great Workplace professional and Compassioniate Individuals
Continuing Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toms River, NJMay 3, 2017
Everyone who works at Ocean County College has one goal to help improve the students experience. Professors go out of their way to assist students to excel in the courses they take. Support personal know the various aspects of the college and most have a shared experience going through the process themselves. Professionalism is the main focus at the College to help support the community both on and off the campus. If you have a question they will do their best to guide you to the correct path that can provide the answer.
Family
Master Electrician (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJApril 30, 2017
Working at Ocean County College in the Gruinn Center of Arts is great environment to work in.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with a family as we know and worked with each other for over 5o years counting.
Great place to work if you have competent managers.
Equipment, Inventory, and Postal Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJ 08754April 15, 2017
Poor managers make for a poor work environment. They lost a good worker. I would have stayed if the management was better. I pride myself in doing a good job.
Pros
Loved my job
Cons
As stated above

Comment – April 16, 2017

When your management says they will do something is one thing. It's not worth a thing if they don't do it. Seeing so many things that are wrong are so demeaning to anyone who just wants to do the right thing. After more than eleven years and a promotion, I just had to walk away. Not what I wanted to do but satisfied I made the right choice.

Provided excellent training in custo er service.
Panzonesb (Former Employee) –  Beach Haven, NJApril 2, 2017
I basically jumped in where I was needed whether it was cashiering, waitressing or hostessing. The boss provided training in customer service thru disney.
Easy going job
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJMarch 30, 2017
It was a very relaxing job, even though there were a large flux of problems from time to time it would still be an easy going job. For any one looking into getting a job with OCC go for it.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Upper management does not listen to you about things that need to be done
Great professors and class scheduling.
Student (Former Employee) –  AssociatesFebruary 16, 2017
I attended this school for purposes related to nursing. I took many biology, anatomy and psychology courses and thoroughly enjoyed them. Rough at times, as school should be, I was still able to sincerely enjoy my studies here.
Pros
Nice, open campus. Huge library and many helpful resources.