Ocean State Job Lot
Happiness rating is 53 out of 100

Ocean State Job Lot Employee Reviews

United States799 reviews

oceanstorecashierstatediscountretailregisterassociate

Decent enough for retail, supervisors make or break your job.

This company is somewhat different from other retail positions in that they do seem to have a small amount of that "human touch" that is so often missing from retail nowadays.There will definitely be a night and day difference in the quality of your shift, depending on the supervisor in question. For a good while there, I had a very nice supervisor and everything was going just fantastic, until that supervisor got a transfer to a different store, and their replacement supervisor was very bad. During this time, the amount of pushing for us to sign people up for store cards (Which would involve getting peoples' email addresses, always an awkward and invasive ask) spiked way up.

Good group of people, flexible schedules.

Upper management expects way too much from cashiers and others who run registers. There’s a ridiculous amount of pressure from corporate to sign customers up for an “Insider Card” although it doesn’t seem to do much other than track each individual customers purchase history. Overall not a great place to work if you’re looking for something less stressful. They don’t seem to care if you do your job well unless you’re able to get insider sign ups.

Ocean State Job Lot insights

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Its hard work if you plan on busting your butt all day then go for it

I would not work for this company again. Its unfair. I have to fight to have certain days off the hours suck the whole environment is a disaster. I would not recommend anyone to work here. If you want to be told no on a daily basis then be my guest.

Good employees but bad management

The employees work hard but are always talked down to by the stores managers and some feel infear of the managers due to write ups about anything. Unless you are a female then you have no problems.

Pros

30% employee discount and more on special occasions

Cons

Some mangers run the stores like they are the only one that matters in the store

Very flexible

Gave lots of flexibility on shifts and were understanding of changes in schedule. got to choose what days work best for me. management was very nice and understanding

Pros

free breaks

Cons

minimum wage

There is always something to do. Great employees with a flexible schedule. Customers are nice and the day goes by quick since you're always doing something.

Pros

Great work enviorment

Cons

short breaks

Recruiter for ocean state job lot.

I feel like while I worked at ocean state job lot it was very unorganized. You don't have any benefits while being a recruiter except the 30 percent.

Pros

Cons

No benefits, no pto. Very unorganized.

it's a mediocre dead-end retail job nothing more

it's a mediocre dead-end retail job nothing more. the job is very brainless and soul-sucking. If you are an associate you will probably get minimum wage.

Love my fellow employees

Meeting new people. Talking to people putting a smile on there face just a good job to work in only thing I do not like we only get 10 minutes of break as a part time worker

Pros

Good discounts

Cons

Short breaks

not much good

i relocated from out of state and i really wanted to work at osjl, with years of experience in retail i was hired on as a department manager of hardware and pets, but all i was assigned was CASHIERING, with constantly being told to sign people up for crazy deal cards, i have an excellent work history so i was very surprised at the totally disregard to their employees. the lead for the front end would literally insult the workers in front of the customers, was very disappointing, do not work at this place, shameful.

The management doesn’t work at all they sit in a backroom/ office and watch adult videos all day

The management team doesn’t work or care about the team members they don’t communicate well with anyone and try to belittle you or talk down to you every chance they get would never recommend this company to any friends or family

Horrible company to work for

Tge company is very shady. Management is rude and condescending. They make you wait over 3 months for ins. They will work you like a dog and pay is horrible. Meanwhile the management, loss prevention, and "higher ups" make all the money. The owners rake it. Lots of smoke n mirrors within this company. Shop there, don't work there

Pros

Cons

Ins, pay, attitudes

Okay job, great coworkers, terrible managemnt

Great coworkers will make this a good job. OSJL heavily suffers from managers constantly going back on their word as well being brutal with insider card signups.

Pros

Employee Discount

Cons

Insider Card tracking

Amazing Company that “walks the walk”!

I am so happy I joined the OSJL team. Our culture and values are incredibly important. The leaders truly care about people. Family and well-being are the organizations top priorities. The owners continue to invest in benefits, charitable efforts and their most valuable asset of all - OSJL associates!

Pros

Over 150 different types of associate benefits!

Toxic work environment and dangerous

I was very excited to begin working part-time. A year in, I had an accident at work. I continued working after the accident, even walking with a cane. I received kudos in the business newspaper from the president for my customer service skills. After my 2nd knee surgery under Worker's Comp, I was unable to walk without a limp. They forgot I ever existed.

Cons

Short breaks, employee turnover is rapid, management turnover is just as bad

This place doesnt care about its associates

As my first job, I thought it wasnt gonna be that bad. Boy, was I wrong. I would have panic attacks before every shift. My therapist literally told me to quit because of how bad this place was for my mental health. I only worked a few days a week and was paid ten cents above minimum wage. 0/10 would not recommend

Good first job

If you’re a kid looking for a job for high school, OSJL is good. They are flexible with time off and will work with your school schedule. If working part time at OSJL, you could be scheduled anywhere between 4-38 hours a week with no notice. I would never recommend Ocean State Job Lot to someone that is reliant on it for a steady income or hoping to grow in the company. This company doesn’t provide proper training past cashiering and will hire outside before promoting within. Once again, it is fine for a high school job to put gas in the car or for mall money, not for a career.

Fun place with good positions

Easy job that will work with you on hours, if management is good it's a great job. Insider card program is a bit rough with how many people they wanted you to sign up a day. They need to be less pushy with it or no one will sign up.

It's a good job to start with

I worked there as an FES. It can be stressful but it's not a difficult position. It's the lack of help the makes things difficult. The managers expect so much out of you but rarely offer help or cashiers. A lot of the time the work of an FES gets done too late because there's not enough time in the day. You're mainly cashing out people all day. A lot of time you're basically carrying the store and the expect you to do x,y, and z all at the same time. Not rude, just pushy. Also the pay is not worth the amount of work you do. The best part about all of it is the people you work with and the flexibility.

Pros

Great co-workers kind/fair management, simple enough position

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, no room for growth, unsatisfactory pay

Good

Good nice very nice. Nice people nice job. Job work environment. Thank you for the opportunity it was a job experience nice workers and nice staff. Thanks

It was fine at first.

It was great when they first opened. Everyone was actually happy to go to work. But after new management took over and people started to be promoted, management and some of the area supervisors felt the "little people" were a lesser value. Favoritism and a toxic work environment is how my experience ended.

Pros

Co-workers that didn't have a big title were friendly and welcoming, always.

Cons

Management and a ton of drama.

Common questions about Ocean State Job Lot

Answered by current and former employees at Ocean State Job Lot

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ocean State Job Lot. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

4.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss