Ocean State Job Lot Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Slave labor
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, MAMay 12, 2018
They don't care about their employees. They only care about making money. I was hurt at work and got written up instead of taken to the hospital for a broken foot.
Very productive workplace. Good woek experiance.
Area Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Northumberland, NHMay 8, 2018
I've had a good 8 years at ocean state. Still wish to continue working there. Always something new to learn which I enjoy. Keeps me active, constantly on the move with different projects. Good job security.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Same as any retail job dealing with annoyed customers. Does not happen often.
Great Plavce to work
NEW YORK (Current Employee) –  NEW YORKMay 7, 2018
Great place to work. ever changing fast paced environment. Very team oriented and provides a collaborative culture. Team environments which are great.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 7, 2018
The culture of the employees was very pleasant and everyone always got along. Working there you were given your task and trusted to do what you needed to do. Managers were very nice and understanding.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Not flexible
Horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Torrington, CTMay 3, 2018
Worst place I ever worked. They weren't very accepting nor did they take care of matters correctly. Things were always done on a basis of favoritism and it was very obvious who the favorites were and weren't. I do not recommend.
Great Company
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Seymour, CTApril 26, 2018
I personally grew so much at OSJL and it prepped me for a completely different career. They are very big with training, i have a high respect for that. Training supervisors travel tothe stores and endure everyone is trained up on the latest, including the new technology.

I had an AMAZING manager that showed me the ropes and guided me and HELPED me become successful in my role.

Many employees at this store have been there for 10+ years and i think that ways a lot. you get the typical drama and cliques but overall its like a little OSJL family.
Pros
Great Training
Cons
Retail Pay
The staff is phenomenal. I Love my Co-workers and some management
Ad Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHApril 24, 2018
It depends on your position and what your looking to do. It's not how hard you work here. And advancement can take a long time. Like years. As I said it's not how dependable or how hard you work. Honestly not sure what they go by. As far as advancement and what not. And they'd rather hire outside the company, when it comes to higher positions. But as I said i Love the Co-Workers. I've never worked anywhere, where everyone helps everyone. And everyone is so close. Like a family. That's all I miss, Including some of the assistant managers.
Pros
Family like workers
Cons
Certain Management. And inability to run the store. And staff properly or keep staff.
Do not work here
Associate (Current Employee) –  New JerseyApril 23, 2018
Management here is about as 2 faced as it can get. They expect 2 people to get the work of 4/5 done in a short period of time. They are actually basically lowlife management who could not make it elsewhere. The pay sucks and corporate does not care a thing about what it non management employees have to say.

Get a job elsewhere...DO NOT WORK HERE Only gave 1 star cause I had too!

Especially in South Plainfield NJ

Many people have quit! They will say they fired them to save face, but they quit! I'm only here til I find a new & better job!
Pros
None!
Cons
Just sucks!
It was a easy job but it was boring.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Old Saybrook, CTApril 16, 2018
A typical day at work was going on register for a couple of hours and going out on the floor for a little bit. The most enjoyable part of working at Job Lot was organizing shelves and cleaning the store.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
boring and having to be a register all the time
Much work to day everyday
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hyannis, MAApril 13, 2018
You have a store to run with few associates. You are not given enough hours to cover the morning flow crew plus the staff needed threw out the day. Most stores have an early flow crew that comes in at 5am to flow stock till they leave at noon. Most customers who shop after that time would be hard pressed to find anyone on the sales floor to help them. After the early crew leaves at noon there is only 1 or 2 cashiers a front end supervisor and the management staff. It's a ghost town on the sales floor.
Pros
Busy days
Cons
Not enough staff to get truck flowed.
Not a great place to work at
Meriden - Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Meriden, CTApril 10, 2018
Very poor management. No communication skills from management to the employees. loads of work for Low pay. makes employees Harass customers to sign up for their store card or to make a donation to a charitable cause. Low hours and not much room to advance in the company. Does not recognize employees hard work.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
low pay, poor management, no communication, low hours
Medium Pace Evironment. Private owend company.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Berlin, CTApril 9, 2018
Medium pace environment, and very roll up your sleeves and hands on during my tenure. To be successful you have to be adaptable to consistent change. The associates and customers were engaging and a pleasure to be around. The hardest part of the job was that the systems were antiquated,and need for an update.
Pros
Good discount, nice incentives
Cons
antiquated systems
very boring
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, RIApril 5, 2018
can be very busy during peak seasons.Other than that can be very boring! a lot of standing around and doing nothing. short breaks and very strict rules.
Pros
nice boss
Cons
short breaks
I would show up everyday and begin working in my department.
HBA Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, RIApril 3, 2018
I would grab my stock from the stockroom and stock up my department. I would also cash out customers when called to the register. Everyone was nice and helpful and I enjoyed my typical workday. Management would always walk through all departments telling us what we need to do. The most enjoyable part of the job was having my department all stocked up and looking nice before the end of the day.
Pros
Employee Discount
Good solid starter job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Biddeford, MEApril 3, 2018
If you are a high school student, college student, or a graduate of either then Ocean State Job Lot is a good starter job or a good summer job to get you going.
Great company
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 30, 2018
I love the company, work days are long and it's hard work, but the company rewards the hard work with excellent benefits. There is a lot of feedback from upper management to help you get your job done, and the expectation is that you will do your job well. There are a lot of long days and long weeks. Virtually no home life between Thanksgiving and Inventory in January.
Pros
Excellent benefit package, great PTO
Cons
Hard work, long work days, 6 full days from Thanksgiving thru January
Junk pit
Area Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Kingstown, RIMarch 29, 2018
My only pay raise was 20 cents per hour despite being highly rated.
I was never placed in the position I was hired for, but given new pathetic excuses every three months.
ocean state job lot
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 26, 2018
most days were fast-paced and but they could also be slow. I learned a lot about retail and supervising a front end. The management could be a little better and more professional.
Good place
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAMarch 25, 2018
This place is a great job to work for. You meet great people and work with even better people. You also get discounts on everything. Great hours every week.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Poor sustomers
not a good place for long term work
Hardware Department Head / Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Cranston, RIMarch 25, 2018
the store itself is okay but working for the company not so such no advancement within to company and no vacation time at all for part time employees as well as no benefits
Pros
Cons
no health care

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ocean State Job Lot. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight