Ocean State Job Lot Employee Reviews

Not a healthy environment
NH (Former Employee) –  NHJuly 13, 2018
It's like retail in the 80s, poor management. Work you like a slave. Raises are horrible starting rate is bad no benefits if your part time. Never enough help. Co-workers were nice. Management was lazy. In home office visitors when they came in. They walked on water
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
There are a lot. Starting with bad management
Ocean State Job Lot
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Meriden, CTJuly 11, 2018
I was the Front End Supervisor.
The management staff was inconsistent and unprofessional at times. The store was messy and the employees did what they wanted.
Skip this company
Store Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Sturbridge, MAJuly 11, 2018
I had the dis pleasure of working for this company. If there was an option to rate less than a one start I would. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy. The company does not value new ideas, the break rooms and working environments are dismal. Workload is un achievable as is the salaried manager scheduling. The culture is not one of learning or respect it is one of "gotcha" very rigid compliance driven company run By arrogant and pompous and often times crass, unprofessional leaders. Poor leadership from the owner down.
Pros
Full time
Cons
Workload and work environment
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEJuly 8, 2018
For my first job i really liked this job the work environment was great a lot of great employers and the the managers were also great, I never had any problems working here was always fun.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
short breaks
Productive and fun work place.
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Belfast, MEJuly 7, 2018
I enjoyed working here even though its minimum wage. Sometimes its busy other times its quite slow. Always something to do, always different. A lot of side conversations.
Pros
Enjoyable environment, friendly, always something to do
Cons
Can get slow, wages
A great company to work for
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Valatie, NYJuly 5, 2018
OSJL was a great place to work. The coworkers were understanding, helpful, kind, and the teamwork was excellent. Management were intelligent, giving, and attentive. I worked as the front end supervisor, and I started as a cashier. I was promoted to the trainer for cashiers to get customers to sign up for the store's discount club card.
I learned how to manage the front end customer serivce desk, the safe, the customers who needed help, I took care of. I also assisted the cashiers with their customers needs, handled the money, assigned tills, arranged the breaks/lunches for the store's employees.
I completed my tasks every day of my job, I was never late, and I missed two days of work during my entire working experience at OSJL. A typical day at work was keeping busy from the moment I arrived until my shift was over. I was a really hard worker, I got along well with others, and I learned how to handle pressure.
Pros
Kind management
Cons
Disrespectful cashiers
Stocker/Floor (Former Employee) –  Wethersfield, CTJune 30, 2018
They are an ok place to work for. Management is good. Team Members are very nice to work with. There are no easy and hard parts of this job. The hours that they give you can vary from week to week.
Cons
No possible room for advancemet at this company.
Never nothing to do.
Freight Team Associate (Current Employee) –  Pawtucket, RIJune 29, 2018
Fast pased work that can be stressful at times. Everybody is caring and willing to help out. The managers at my store are great people who will push you to be your best in a way thats encouraging.
Pros
20% off everything, flexible hours
Cons
10 minute break for part timers
okay place to work
Visual merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Woodsville, NHJune 27, 2018
Busy, variety, management doesn't follow up with coworkers, hardest part of job is seeing coworkers chatting for sometimes quite a while, while there was plenty of freight to work/get out. Most enjoyable part was the customers.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
management at times (not necessarily at store level)
Ocean State Job Lot is a nice place to work.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Berlin, CTJune 22, 2018
It is nice to see that team members get along so well with each other. I believe it is why it makes us one of the nicest places to work in. The customer service is great as well as how the store is kept up.
Great employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTJune 21, 2018
The employees there are great they'll treat you like family. The managers there are great too. Easy job just restock shelves, greet customers, and cashier.
If you are looking to get paid little, to do a lot, but want to learn customer service then this is the place for you
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Torrington, CTJune 21, 2018
No store is exactly the same but mine is driven to working hard and helping the customer. Not everyone follows that. Those who refuse fail and fall out of the company. Those who succeed continue. This company put major emphasis on working hard all the time. There is no standing around or wasting time. If you are not assisting a customer, then you should be working on recovery, plano-grams, or what ever other duties may be assigned. You are often greeted with a long list of items to complete. Depending on the manager, the list may or may not be completed. Managers are never sitting in the office which is a plus. Generally they are expected to work from start to finish.

Would I recommend it?
To a 16 year old maybe. They can learn how to work hard and have good customer service. Anyone else should seek larger retail chains who have higher pay, more benefits, more opportunity to advance and so on.
Pros
Paid weekly every friday with direct deposit
Cons
10 minute and 30 minute breaks
Not a organized company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saugus, MAJune 21, 2018
These people didn't really know what they were doing.....................
It was not an organize company like i have worked for in the past...........
Ocean State
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  East Haven, CTJune 20, 2018
A typical day at work is pretty simple, come in early in the morning , empty as many pallets as possible and work them onto the store shevles. In my year of working at Ocean state Job Lot i learned how to label merchandise, case -cut boxes, and determine merchandise by its SKU. Unfortunatley the management is very poor , wasnt always like that but as time went by Ocean State Job Lot ended up losing a few very good and loyal employees. Hardest part of the job was sometimes lifting heavy boxes and stocking them at the top by yourself . The most enjoyable part is the customers, you get to help all different sorts of people and for the most part some customers are regulars so its makes everything worth it .
Cons
10 minute breaks, poor management, not clean
Flexible hours , interactive envoriment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Milford, CTJune 18, 2018
This company allowed me to open up more on my communication skills and be the best worker I could possibly be which benifited My level of grit and hard willing nature
Pros
Very sociable
Cons
Short breaks
Horrible Work Enviorment.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTJune 18, 2018
They Were A Horrible Team . They Didnt Like To Work Together And Everything Was A Competion When It Came Down To Getting Things Done As A Team To Satisfy The Shoppers.
Excellent Company
SM (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutJune 15, 2018
Excellent company to work for, typical day consists of walking for long periods of time in a fast paced environment. Must be able to make decisions in real time with 24 hours or less for merchandise placement and freight flow.
Okay for a first job.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 14, 2018
The job itself was fine, it's retail so don't expect too much from it because most retail jobs are terrible. It's a good job if you need the money.... However if there is any sort of conflict that needs you to bring it to management and they aren't handling it correctly, DON'T tell them you're going to call HR. They'll fire you on the low and screw you over just to hide their own shame in the work place.
productive and fun place to work
Primary Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Danielson, CTJune 12, 2018
lots of different departments with lots of different products to work with. if you start as a part time cashier and do well there is lots of place for advancement in the company.
Pros
lunches and 2 10 minutes breaks when you work over 7 hours.
Cons
management lets customers treat cashiers poorly
easy going
store manager (Former Employee) –  fish kill nyJune 11, 2018
If i didnt have to move i would of still been there ,There was good communication ,lots of support and your team was well versed on their roles . There was sufficient time for seasonal changes . There vision and there work /life balance was substantial
Pros
lots of communication
Cons
There audits was a little over the top

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ocean State Job Lot. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight