OCLC Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Friendly environment overall
IT Systems Technical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHMarch 5, 2018
Keep cutting corners till there are no more corners to cut and then they complain with what they are left with. Ship is going down, all the good IT is leaving or has already left.
Pros
On site cafeteria
Great for Libraries
Product Manager/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHJanuary 19, 2018
Management change and culture shift. Staff was required to move to Dublin, OH. Working with libraries was great, but hard to get things done because of shifting priorities.
Pros
Great benefits and facilities
Cons
No true advancement
Management (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHNovember 6, 2017
Always improving, great balance, opportunities to advance only in some areas but not others, executives are moving in the right direction and need talented people.
Stressful environment
Contractor - Cataloger (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHOctober 10, 2017
If you are the type of person who likes to go to work, do your job, talk to no one, and then come home, then this is absolutely the job for you. However, if you are the type of person that likes to make friends at work and enjoys communicating with co-workers, then this is not the place for you! The cataloging department at OCLC offers decent pay and great experience for your resume, but I personally felt like a robot when I went to work, because no one talked to each other. You were expected to work completely independently, and never as a team. It was very strange. No one was every unfriendly or rude, but it was not a friendly, healthy environment for someone who enjoys making friends on the job. Not recommended for anyone who enjoys working as a team!
Great Place to Work
Metadata Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHSeptember 29, 2017
This was a great place to work. I started at the bottom of my department and went on the achieve several awards. OCLC had great benefits. Had a restaurant in the building and plenty of parking.
Great work/life balance
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHJuly 15, 2017
I really appreciate the freedom that OCLC has given me to take time off to see my kids activities. The benefits are also second to none. The pay is lower than most places and there is little room for advancement, but for stability, it can't be beat.
High purpose | Low vision
Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHMay 4, 2017
OCLC is a great place to work . . . up to a point. Its done remarkably well in providing back office services to libraries for 50 years, developing new types of services for managing library data. The workforce is professional and dedicated to executing on OCLC's overall purpose : to serving libraries. The benefits and work/life balance are first rate. That said, OCLC has struggled to redefine itself as a library cooperative for the 21st century.
Pros
Excellent benefits and work/life balance. Educated and dedicated rank and file
Cons
Company lacks vision and can't articulate where it wants to be in 10 years
Nice company with good benifits
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHApril 22, 2017
OCLC is non-profit organization company, job is security, and has good benefit, good working environment. Most of co-workers are nice, company location close to my house, has good training class. But the company re-org every year.
Overall, positive and strong employer
Advancement Officer (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHApril 4, 2017
Incredibly talented and dedicated people committed to making the world a better place through libraries and information management. I recommend this employer to job seekers.
Great people to work with
Product Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHFebruary 14, 2017
Lots of meetings, and working with various work groups.

Flexible schedule!

Working with libraries all around the world.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
no opportunity for advancement
Productive and Fun work place
Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 9, 2017
Excellent work environment, having a great time working with the team and co-workers are very supportive in all aspects regarding the project. Learnt lot more new versions of technologies which are very helpful for further career opportunities.
Rough place to work. Very confusing
Retrocon Operator (Former Employee) –  Washington Court House, OHDecember 6, 2016
My job was to convert card libraries (mostly universities) to computer files. Conversions were verified by other Retrocon Operators, who generally used their own opinions to rate my performance. Many times we would be part way through converting one university and switched to another university in the middle of the conversion. Details on library cards could be interpreted many different ways. I did the best I could and with a few exceptions, enjoyed the challenge of getting everything right.
Completed files were sometimes lost by people who verified files, which meant I had to do it all over again.
Pros
Mostly worked at my own work station
Cons
Confusing atmosphere
Jr.jira admin
JIRA ADMIN/ Devops Engineer (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHOctober 23, 2016
my lovely place of work in home country.The place I have learned the work, behave,speak,resolve issues.how to maintain the Jira issues and administration .
Benefits are good
Database Specialist with Bibliographic Records (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHOctober 30, 2015
Independent work with Dell computers. Co-workers are well educated within the Library field. Free donuts on Friday. Relaxed environment, casual dress.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Lots of Acronyms
Impactful Technical Environment and Library Leadership
Senior Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 22, 2015
-Exposure to many different types of technology
-Excellent mission and vision
-High Impact on libraries nationwide and globally
Great mission but not very agile for a small organization
Director (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHJune 17, 2015
OCLC is a great place to work if you are passionate about libraries. It can be challenging to get things done as the pace of decisions is slow and there are a lot of hoops to jump through to get project approval. New leadership is trying to change the culture but has brought in less transparency to business planning processes.
Pros
Mission and co-workers
Cons
New leadership is trying to get more work out of fewer people
quiet place
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fort Leonard Wood, MOMay 17, 2015
lots of filing
How to use the OCLC
Management is understanding and fair
nice and friendly
working with foreign nationals and trying to understand their accent.
the hours were good
Pros
paid leave
Cons
sometimes the patrons
Difficult to Influence Needed Culture Changes
Information Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHMarch 6, 2014
I will only say OCLC had some really talented people. However, they were at least 15 years behind in their Information Security posture.
Pros
Cons
Culture too embedded to allow for necessary changes.
Lovely place to work and I highly recommend it
Data Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHDecember 8, 2013
I loved working here. The coworkers were friendly and fun to be around, they give you time to learn your responsibilities, and it truly is one of the best companies to work for in Ohio. I highly recommend applying. It reminds me of Google, though not as cool.
Pros
Likelihood of advancement, free doughnuts on Fridays, free gym, compensation, health insurance, retirement benefits, culture of happiness, friendly coworkers & higher ups, accommodations if necessary
Cons
At least one black out per month, parking can be a pain though it's usually fine, not enough entry level positions
Great atmosphere of teamwork/friendliness
Independent Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 14, 2013
I felt like part of the team. I was only contracted for a short amount of time but felt like I was embraced as part of the team/culture immediately. Everyone is polite and treats everyone as a whole individual (having a personality and life outside of work).