Octo Consulting

Octo Consulting Employee Reviews in Reston, VA

Reston, VA16 reviews

Managers are Caring

Managers at Octo Consulting actually take the time to know their employees and make an effort to be aware of your performance. This means during your annual review, the person giving you feedback and fighting for your raise actually has a clue about who you are and what you've done.

Sense of company on the move. Many acquisitions over the 1 - 2 years

It's a good place to be at right now. Lot of good things going on. Good training opportunities which will allow you to get desirable certifications. Company is building a state of the art lab for advanced technology work. Seems pretty cool. I like my client. I was with the client previously through other companies but consulting to a different division.

Pros

I've been here over a year and leadership and opportunities seem good

Octo Consulting insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction

Talented, bright people all dedicated to personal and corporate success

Everyone I work with is very bright, highly motivated, and most importantly, willing to work as a team. My boss isn't just a manager - she's a leader. Yes, because I'm in business development, we often work long and irregular hours. But the level of appreciation shown by everyone is remarkable. Acknowledgements, publicly shared kudos, spot bonuses, beautiful bottles of wine, flowers, gifts - all little gestures that show appreciation. I really feel like I make a difference, and I think my colleagues feel that they do, too.

Pros

Super managers, talented colleagues, team mindset

Cons

Lots of weekends, but it goes with the job.

Good working environment

Working at octo is a great learning opportunity for entry level . Good people to work with and great culture. They have good career growth opportunity with competitive salary

Very busy work schedule

Stressful environment and multiple accounting systems with manual accounting work. Takes very long to finish assigned tasks and no appreciation for the hard work.

Up and coming firm with aggressive posture

12 years from start-up to large business. Considerable recent M&A activity. Young, smart leadership team. Aggressive move into defense market after years of FedCiv GovCon focus.

lkajdf

Am happy to go into detail in person or over the phone on a typical work day, what I learned, management, and work place culture at Octo Consulting Group.

Unbelievably untrustworthy manager

Don't trust anyone in management at this company. They are biased against minorities and they have very few people of color working there in Reston VA. The culture is one of rudeness to customers and employees.

Pros

Decent salary

Cons

Sneaky lying unethical folks

Company of liars

This company will lie to you on the interview and throughout your time with them. Management sucks! They stab you in the back with the client. They use your personal information for their gain but force you to give them access to your skills, degrees, and certifications. I had a performance review and my team lead sieges my signature to make my review look bad. Very high turnover.

Great company, gives you the opportunity to balance work and personal life

-Free range to explore your interests/passions - Constantly around talented and ambitious people -Lots of social events in local offices/within talent groups

Read the reviews - separate the real from the fake

Octo is on damage control. Since their COO runs the office with an iron fist, unless you look like him or are pretty in his eyes, he prepsred to hate your job the further you advance. Working at project level, you may miss this issue but the higher you go, watch yourself. Be prepared to work over 70hrs a week and if not be dinged for lack of productivity. Seen people fired simply because their manager found fault with them doing their job properly.

Pros

Benefits, very high pay. They are paying you off

Cons

Poor management style. Good ol boy crew.

Good company with shortcomings

Octo hires full time employees even though they do not intention of keeping the employee past the existing contract for which the employee was hired

Pros

dynamic organization

Cons

do not know how to hire people

Smart people creating good software products

Fast paced organization working on a wide verity of innovative project. They provide opportunities to learn a wide range of software development skill in a short period of time.

Pros

They allow some remote work and have good healthcare

Cons

Long hour are required at times.

Not a nice environment to work in at times

While Octo is great at employing great talent, the attitudes of the managers for some divisions will have the talent recruited submit a resignation in a matter of months. The environment is toxic and while not all managers there are negative, you have a few that have attitudes that are impossible to work with. People stay because the company has potential to be even greater than what it is, but when it comes to your peace of mind and potential stress you begin to wonder if it's worth it. Turnover while I was there was high and I'm sure it still is. Bonuses, promotions and raises aren't awarded to those who truly deserve it. People are thrown under the bus in meetings, publicly embarrassed and spoken to in condescending tones via email. When those negative attitudes are brought to the attention of Executives no one is reprimanded and heaven forbid you lash out in defense of yourself it will be your job on the line. Majority of the people I came in with are gone and even great people that came in after me have moved on. I've seen people who have one title take on the role for others and were not given fair recognition for their hard work; meanwhile those that do less, have poor attitudes and have less skills education wise are compensated. The mentality there is that of a frat house...it's pathetic. Please make adjustments or continue to lose A-1 employees.

Pros

Social gatherings (the meetings are always nice to attend) and nice office space.

Cons

Management is horrible.

Best Consulting Firm in my Experience

I have worked for Octo for a little over two years. If you put in the work for them, they invest in you. I had two projects under two different portfolios and was incredibly happy with management in each role. I highly recommend this company. Although I may be moving on from Octo right now, many former employees have returned to the firm after leaving.

Pros

PTO accrual, fair compensation

Octo is a great company to work for

Octo really provides great benefits. PTO that accrues quickly, a generous 401k plan (with no vesting period), and one of the best tuition reimbursement plans I've seen in the industry. Our health insurance premiums didn't go up a cent this year! Octo has great office space that is light and airy with free parking at the headquarters location. The company is transparent in its leadership style. Frequent all hands keep employees informed. The executive team is also very approachable.

Pros

Great benefits, awesome colleagues, and lots of opportunities for career growth

Cons

Can't think of any

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Octo Consulting. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits