Octo Consulting Group

• Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

Managers are Caring

Managers at Octo Consulting actually take the time to know their employees and make an effort to be aware of your performance. This means during your annual review, the person giving you feedback and fighting for your raise actually has a clue about who you are and what you've done.

Good Coworkers; Absent Managment

Remote working environment - individual coworkers and direct manager were accessible online and good at communication. Direction from above was lacking, and communication was poor.

good place for beginners

good place for interns, good salary, work-life balance.. depends on which project you go... no bonus .. parties only for big shots... micromanagement sometimes in few projects... salary increment is less..

Pros

sometimes free lunch

Cons

micromanagement

High Potential Growth Company

The company itself has a lot of capacity to grow and people are great. Great work/life balance on most programs. At the end of the da, Octo is just another sub contract for another prime.

Pros

Bonuses & Salary

Ignore negative biased reviews

Other reviews being biased? Work life balance depends on the contracts and clients you worked for. None are the same.My program offered great work life balance and ability to wfh

Pros

High Salary

Cons

Minimal WFH

Leave a review. Help people like you.

Highly paid

Competitive in the market. Software eevelopment are highly paid and folks are extremely dmart.Work environment is fun no micronanagement. Helped you grow in your career.

Productive environment

Overall great place to work. I felt very proud that volunteer work was organized to help vets and military families. Taking wreaths to the Arlington cemetery, preparing toiletries and visiting the military hospital among other things.

Pros

We were kept up to date on the contract information.

Cons

Can not think of any

Talented, bright people all dedicated to personal and corporate success

Everyone I work with is very bright, highly motivated, and most importantly, willing to work as a team. My boss isn't just a manager - she's a leader. Yes, because I'm in business development, we often work long and irregular hours. But the level of appreciation shown by everyone is remarkable. Acknowledgements, publicly shared kudos, spot bonuses, beautiful bottles of wine, flowers, gifts - all little gestures that show appreciation. I really feel like I make a difference, and I think my colleagues feel that they do, too.

Pros

Super managers, talented colleagues, team mindset

Cons

Lots of weekends, but it goes with the job.

Very busy work schedule

Stressful environment and multiple accounting systems with manual accounting work. Takes very long to finish assigned tasks and no appreciation for the hard work.

Up and coming firm with aggressive posture

12 years from start-up to large business. Considerable recent M&A activity. Young, smart leadership team. Aggressive move into defense market after years of FedCiv GovCon focus.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Octo Consulting Group?

lkajdf

Am happy to go into detail in person or over the phone on a typical work day, what I learned, management, and work place culture at Octo Consulting Group.

Unbelievably untrustworthy manager

Don't trust anyone in management at this company. They are biased against minorities and they have very few people of color working there in Reston VA. The culture is one of rudeness to customers and employees.

Pros

Decent salary

Cons

Sneaky lying unethical folks

Company of liars

This company will lie to you on the interview and throughout your time with them. Management sucks! They stab you in the back with the client. They use your personal information for their gain but force you to give them access to your skills, degrees, and certifications. I had a performance review and my team lead sieges my signature to make my review look bad. Very high turnover.

Octo is in general a very good company with comparable benefits and decent competitive pay. It is a new company, formed out of the trunk of the CEO's car back in 2006. The company has grown by leaps and bounds since I joined in 2017 (from ~250 employees to approx 450). As some other projects, the one I was on within a year became over budget, hence the layoff. I'm not sure how long employees remain "on the bench", but I was let go since there wasn't an immediate need for me or in the near future.

Pros

Interesting work, decent benefits and pay

Cons

Government contracting isn't stable IMHO

Great company, gives you the opportunity to balance work and personal life

-Free range to explore your interests/passions - Constantly around talented and ambitious people -Lots of social events in local offices/within talent groups

Excellent Work Environment

Management treated employees with respect and supported further career advancement. There is an emphasis on developing a career plan and determining measurable goals for the employer and the employee.

Pros

Flexible Supportive Management, Yearly Company trips

Pretty good place to work

Octo is a pretty good place to work. They have a good work culture and great people as well. They are constantly growing and are always looking for the next major contract.

Pros

People

Cons

N/a

Read the reviews - separate the real from the fake

Octo is on damage control. Since their COO runs the office with an iron fist, unless you look like him or are pretty in his eyes, he prepsred to hate your job the further you advance. Working at project level, you may miss this issue but the higher you go, watch yourself. Be prepared to work over 70hrs a week and if not be dinged for lack of productivity. Seen people fired simply because their manager found fault with them doing their job properly.

Pros

Benefits, very high pay. They are paying you off

Cons

Poor management style. Good ol boy crew.

remote work, never met real people

100% remote work, never visited office or met any of the team I was working with. Made impromptu hallway meetings never happen, used Slack for almost all interactions. hardest part of job was getting familiar with the way they used a highly modified SharePoint as a delivered product.

Smart people creating good software products

Fast paced organization working on a wide verity of innovative project. They provide opportunities to learn a wide range of software development skill in a short period of time.

Pros

They allow some remote work and have good healthcare

Cons

Long hour are required at times.

Not a nice environment to work in at times

While Octo is great at employing great talent, the attitudes of the managers for some divisions will have the talent recruited submit a resignation in a matter of months. The environment is toxic and while not all managers there are negative, you have a few that have attitudes that are impossible to work with. People stay because the company has potential to be even greater than what it is, but when it comes to your peace of mind and potential stress you begin to wonder if it's worth it. Turnover while I was there was high and I'm sure it still is. Bonuses, promotions and raises aren't awarded to those who truly deserve it. People are thrown under the bus in meetings, publicly embarrassed and spoken to in condescending tones via email. When those negative attitudes are brought to the attention of Executives no one is reprimanded and heaven forbid you lash out in defense of yourself it will be your job on the line. Majority of the people I came in with are gone and even great people that came in after me have moved on. I've seen people who have one title take on the role for others and were not given fair recognition for their hard work; meanwhile those that do less, have poor attitudes and have less skills education wise are compensated. The mentality there is that of a frat house...it's pathetic. Please make adjustments or continue to lose A-1 employees.

Pros

Social gatherings (the meetings are always nice to attend) and nice office space.

Cons

Management is horrible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Octo Consulting Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Octo Consulting Group