Odyssey Hospice Employee Reviews

Enjoyed working there
License Vocational Nurse- Crisis care nurse (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMarch 20, 2018
Hospice is not for everyone but to be part of crisis care at the bedside was one of the most fulfilling positions I have held. Thank you for the experience.
Fun place to work
RN Hospice Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 2, 2018
Odyssey was a fun and wonderful place to work.The company really cared about its employees.It was a place to grow and provided many opportunities for advancement.
I enjoyed working in the inpatient unit
RN Staff Nurse - Inpatient Unit (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 17, 2018
I worked in an inpatient hospice unit with some exceptional co-workers. We all worked for the benfit of the patients while having fun, working atmosphere was relaxed even during the most chaotic of times . Unit Managers were easy to work with, leaving the day to day to the charge nurse.
Pros
Monthly birthday / staff meeting catered lunch
Cons
Area VP dishonesty with employees concerning unit closing
na
RN Quality Manager (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJanuary 16, 2018
Typical day was by starting checking calendar for meetings, training new hires, administering TB shots, preparing for annual training for employees, Medicare Audits and assist with administration as needed.
Pros
it was a happy place to work
Cons
having to pull other office staffs weight
I loved my job at Odyssey and love my staff
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TN 38119January 12, 2018
Odyssey was a great company with great benefits but couldn't find a competent manager I was there 5 years with 4 different managers.

I was responsible for all new hires,orientation & training, terminations, employee updated files, payroll, vendor contracts and all updated information. Accounts receivable and payable, all office functions, phones, office equipment maintenance, ordering supplies for office and patients, lesion between corporate office and our office. Worked with the GM and management team for all company functions such as hiring terminations, contracts, helping with all computer training and patient computer in-put, organized all employee staff meetings and office parties, i was the person that was the constant for all vendors and building leasing office for Odyssey.

The company was sold and the office closed shortly after I left so it's no longer open.
Pros
Love my employees and they loved me, great people to work with, great company and great benefits
Cons
Local Managment
Worked as a volunteer
Hospice Massage Therapist Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 3, 2018
Odyssey Hospice is a wonderful place to volunteer as a massage therapist. They are very professional and friendly. I wish they would employ massage therapists rather than volunteer only.
Pros
Satisfying work
Cons
No pay, volunteer only
My Outlook
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXNovember 25, 2017
Excellent teamwork coincided with new educational practices from other Nurses. Workplace very comfortable and at ease. Upper Management listened to Employee's concerns and tried to work them out.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Large case load, but manageable.
Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 9, 2017
Non paid internship, great experience and would recommend to a friend or family member. I would entertain working there in the future. Glad I had the experience.
Pros
Internship
Cons
Not paid
Good place to work for.
Registered Nurse Case Manager-full time (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMOctober 26, 2017
I was moved into the on-call position and often found myself in very stressful situations where I could have used some support and help. I was working weekends and nights and would find myself with several patients needing my help at once. Most times I was able to prioritize my work load and able to work accordingly. But there were times when this was impossible. Even management would not help me when I called in desperation of help. Often I worked over 28 hours straight and anyone I called for help would say "Sorry".
Pros
Ability to work with patients at their worst times of their lives
Cons
I was required to work often without help.
great group of nurses to work with
Hospice RN, PRN (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 20, 2017
My position was PRN allowing me to care for my family and still have income. There was respect without competition among the nurses. Our weekly meetings were a time of learning, not complaining. I found it rewarding to talk to the patients and/or their families, providing comfort and education as needed.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
little time to grieve the loss of patients
bad place to work toward the end great at beginning
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 18, 2017
loved job and patients at beginning , hated it by the time i left.
pts and fellow workers were great. upper management and cooperate were not . was very glad i got out of working for them
Pros
Cons
everything
poor on-call pay, lots of over-time
Hospice Social Worker, Marketing (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CASeptember 14, 2017
I loved the people I worked with. The management was great. However, the social workers rotated on-call for a week at a time without on-call pay at that time.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
no on-call pay
Odyssey was bought out by Gentiva
Hospice Nurse (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXAugust 20, 2017
I worked as a continuous-care nurse when our patients had very little time left. The 12-hr night shift was difficult at times when we had to drive an hour or two to our patients.
Pros
Good feeling helping others
Cons
Too many miles
Good company to work for.
On-Call Nurse (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 17, 2017
Very organized and team oriented employer. Learned a lot being an on-call nurse with triage. Typical night was spending many hours driving from home to home to help patients in need.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Guaranteed a partner to work nights with and ended up working alone many nights.
good workplace
MEDICAL SOCIAL WORKER (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 30, 2017
Odyssey was great place to work. The management provided guidance when needed and was very understanding when I went through something personal. Great Psychosocial team
Pros
hours
Cons
on call
Average
Patient Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 5, 2017
It was a good job at the time but I wanted more job security, better pay and benefits. There was not a lot of room for advancement. PTO accrual could have been better.
Odyssey
Hospice Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Waxahachie, TXMay 17, 2017
Most rewarding, learning experience also, great nurses to work under and lots of building on skills. This was by far my favorite job and will go back to the hospice world once I obtain my rn.
Hospice
Hospice Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 15, 2017
End-of-life care for terminal patients, IV Care, wound and dressing changes, coordinated with Physicians, families, and team to order medication and administer treatment
OK place to work. Seemed to choose nurses over other emplTired when making decisions.
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 13, 2017
No longer in the Wichita area

I was the admissions coordinator. The admissions nurse quit the day after I started. I had to fight with the nurses to do admissions. I finally had to get the director of nursing to make the nurses go do admissions. Very frustrating. I quit because I missed patient care
Pros
Some good employees
Cons
Frustrating. Taking nurses over other employees
some days are better than others
clinical staff (Current Employee) –  texasMay 1, 2017
Everything is about the numbers, and how they can get more out of each employee. large case loads with will prn help. expect to get work done with in 8 hours , overtime is frowned upon, after an 8 hour day you have to take call that cover the entire service area
Pros
paid holidays
benefits